Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

Would asceticing the bonfire count in this case, or do I need a genuine NG+? I did that to re-kill the gargoyles ages ago so I don't think it had an effect.

Genuine NG+. I get summoned so often at 4-6m souls in Lost Bastille once the summons start triggering that you can't even see the place name fade before you're summoned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I poo poo on Dex because my Dex run was a massive shitshow until I got a katana and a decent bow, and even then it still wasn't great. Dex is weak.

I had fun with mine using falchions and rapiers til katanas showed up. I did pump dex to 40 right off the bad, though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

People who poo poo on dex are dumb.

Honest question: Have you ever agreed with anything anyone ever said in this thread? Jeez.

quote:

I barely notice the difference between the one character I stacked ADP for a PvP dagger build, and the others sitting on like 3 ADP. It DEFINITELY makes a difference, just saying that if you already know the game, you can generally safely ignore it in favor of other stats. Getting to that point on a shieldless build can make good use of the faster estus better iframes.

I'm operating under the assumption that it's better to be out of reach of attacks entirely rather than trying to get through them with iFrames (as opposed to DS1) but maybe I'm wrong? Hitboxes on most enemy attacks don't lend themselves well to being out of reach, and if I am, they reset before I can get an attack in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

Holy fuckin shiiiiit

~just like my Japanese animes~ :sparkles:

Genocyber posted:

People who poo poo on dex are dumb. Yeah it's a worse than str for PVE (tho dex weapons are much better for PVP, generally speaking) but not by an insane amount. I've done several dex based runs and had a lot of fun. Just keep two weapons on you at all times in case one of them starts to run out of durability. You even get a large weapon option in the form of Murakumo or Arced Sword.

The fact that the scaling is worse than str doesn't really mean anything since scaling is just straight up bad in general.

Why is dex better for PvP? Just because dex weapons in general have better movesets?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dis astranagant posted:

I had fun with mine using falchions and rapiers til katanas showed up. I did pump dex to 40 right off the bad, though.

I used a Falchion as my primary weapon until I got to the Iron Keep (far later than I'd like) and man. I cannot put into words how much I hate the loving Falchion. I tried out the rapier, but didn't really give it the time it deserved; seemed alright. Ricard's is stupid but in a fun way.

Also, didn't mess around with the Scimitar moveset curved swords much. That moveset was loving strange. I probably would have done a little better had I mixed it in (if only for its verticality; the falchion has a significant probability of missing short enemies.)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Genuine NG+. I get summoned so often at 4-6m souls in Lost Bastille once the summons start triggering that you can't even see the place name fade before you're summoned again.

Edited it in above but I still have the undead crypt plus the whole aldia's keep branch plus all the giant memories before I even make it to NG+ :smith: No clue how I cranked my soul memory so obscenely high. I did ascetic a few bosses so that didn't help of course.

Oh plus the Doors of Pharros I didn't poke my head in there yet.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 11, 2014

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The SO surprised me this morning with Dark Souls 2 for a birthday present. Played but didn't finish both the earlier ones. Read the OP, skipped the rest of the thread, I'm going in. Wish me luck.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Honest question: Have you ever agreed with anything anyone ever said in this thread? Jeez.

I'm operating under the assumption that it's better to be out of reach of attacks entirely rather than trying to get through them with iFrames (as opposed to DS1) but maybe I'm wrong? Hitboxes on most enemy attacks don't lend themselves well to being out of reach, and if I am, they reset before I can get an attack in.

If you get your agi up to 100+ and keep your equip weight down it's pretty easy to roll through most attacks.

King of Solomon posted:

I used a Falchion as my primary weapon until I got to the Iron Keep (far later than I'd like) and man. I cannot put into words how much I hate the loving Falchion. I tried out the rapier, but didn't really give it the time it deserved; seemed alright. Ricard's is stupid but in a fun way.

Powerstance that poo poo. "A" falchion was the problem. 2 falchions are pretty much a blender.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is dex better for PvP? Just because dex weapons in general have better movesets?

Pretty much yeah. That and generally low stat requirements; go minimum, infuse with an element then buff it. You get crazy damage with buffed infused rapiers, katanas, and the like. Comparatively str weapons tend to have crappier movesets (i.e. the mace) or are just so slow they're really hard to hit with if you're fighting someone even remotely competent (tho that just makes it all the more fun when you pancake someone).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dis astranagant posted:

Powerstance that poo poo. "A" falchion was the problem. 2 falchions are pretty much a blender.

The other problem was that I just wasn't prepared to drop my shield yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

Edited it in above but I still have the undead crypt plus the whole aldia's keep branch plus all the giant memories before I even make it to NG+. No clue how I cranked my soul memory so obscenely high.

Exploring a lot/doing a lot of coop/invading a lot/being bad :v:

I think most people have really high SM on their first playthrough compared to later ones. Your first go through the game you're going to be spending more time in each area exploring. You'll rack up more souls due to more frequent bonfire visits and enemies respawning. Also since you're exploring areas for the first time you're probably going to get killed due to inexperience, which results in you having to clear the area out again and racking up even more souls. If you're messing around with the online a lot then that will also inflate your SM by a ton. Using the small white soapstone will get you tons of souls since you get full credit for all kills.

At least that's how it went for me. On my second playthrough I was WAY more efficient when it came to SM.

That said, I think you only need to obsess over SM if you are interested in doing PvP on that character, since an inflated soul memory puts you at a disadvantage. I was worried that jolly cooperation would dry up for my sunbro once I got a high SM, but I still get summoned almost instantly when I put my sign down. Even in places where you wouldn't think people would summon much, such as Aldia's Keep.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 11, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

Pretty much yeah. That and generally low stat requirements; go minimum, infuse with an element then buff it. You get crazy damage with buffed infused rapiers, katanas, and the like. Comparatively str weapons tend to have crappier movesets (i.e. the mace) or are just so slow they're really hard to hit with if you're fighting someone even remotely competent (tho that just makes it all the more fun when you pancake someone).

Any rapier you suggest in particular by the way? I had a lot of fun with the Estoc and Old Leo Ring in low level bellcopping. Is Ricards the way to go?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hra Mormo posted:

The SO surprised me this morning with Dark Souls 2 for a birthday present. Played but didn't finish both the earlier ones. Read the OP, skipped the rest of the thread, I'm going in. Wish me luck.

Luck ain't gonna help you where you're going, buddy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ricard's still does the crazy stabby thing for the R2 so yes, I'd assume Ricard's is the way to go.

Kanfy posted:

Luck ain't gonna help you where you're going, buddy.

You will need to be pretty lucky sometimes depending on what you want though, as my posts on the last page have gone to show.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Exploring a lot/doing a lot of coop/invading a lot/being bad :v:

I think most people have really high SM on their first playthrough compared to later ones. Your first go through the game you're going to be spending more time in each area exploring. You'll rack up more souls due to more frequent bonfire visits and enemies respawning. Also since you're exploring areas for the first time you're probably going to get killed due to inexperience, which results in you having to clear the area out again and racking up even more souls. If you're messing around with the online a lot then that will also inflate your SM by a ton. Using the small white soapstone will get you tons of souls since you get full credit for all kills.

At least that's how it went for me. On my second playthrough I was WAY more efficient when it came to SM.

Come to think of it I should also probably take off the silver serpent ring.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You will need to be pretty lucky sometimes depending on what you want though, as my posts on the last page have gone to show.

Well, I don't really consider farming for specific drops a part of the main game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Well, I don't really consider farming for specific drops a part of the main game.

There's still a solid luck-based component to fighting a lot of enemies, though. Their decisions about what abilities to use can make or break a fight, since some attacks are just inherently more dangerous than others. I've had some cases where Mirror Knight never summons a phantom or does any of his major lightning attacks, and I've had other cases where he's done his lightning attack 3 or 4 times in a row.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Ricard's still does the crazy stabby thing for the R2 so yes, I'd assume Ricard's is the way to go.

That r2 has always been garbage. It's really hard to actually hit anyone with it, and it leaves you hugely open.

Good rapiers; Espada Ropera is a straight upgrade to the Rapier. Estoc is good because of its long reach and sweeping moves; probably the best if you plan on making it elemental. Regular rapiers are nice because their low stat reqs make it easy to powerstance them.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Can someone explain elemental weapons to me? I imbued my Greatsword+10 with lightning and it's now significantly weaker against practically everything I've come across. It also does the same damage with or without Sunlight Blade active, which seems a little wrong to me. I'd almost say it's a bug.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Used a bonfire ascetic, killed like the first two rooms of guys, and

(forgot to take a shot of the first one but look at how many god drat souls I have from all this grinding gently caress)

Holy fuckin shiiiiit

Are those rare? I have two. :v: You could have had both! Although I have 4.1 mil SM so good luck connecting.

Also, I did some math yesterday and apperently if I didn't spend my souls or fun stuff like collecting all the armor sets or buying tons of lifegems so I don't have to care about being low on healing stuff, I could have been 40 levels higher than I am now. That taken into account, and the SM bracket I'm in for PvP, I could be theoretically be invaded by people who are 50 levels above me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Office Thug posted:

Can someone explain elemental weapons to me? I imbued my Greatsword+10 with lightning and it's now significantly weaker against practically everything I've come across. It also does the same damage with or without Sunlight Blade active, which seems a little wrong to me. I'd almost say it's a bug.
What's your stat distribution like? Infusing something splits its damage between physical and the element, and also reduces physical scaling. Lightning damages scales with your faith stat. So if you were using a good strength scaling weapon and have crummy faith, you shot yourself in the foot by nixing your physical damage and strength bonus for a lightning bonus that's not very good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

What's your stat distribution like? Infusing something splits its damage between physical and the element, and also reduces physical scaling. Lightning damages scales with your faith stat. So if you were using a good strength scaling weapon and have crummy faith, you shot yourself in the foot by nixing your physical damage and strength bonus for a lightning bonus that's not very good.

It's important to note that scaling does not matter for elemental weapons, if they were previously pure physical, such as the Greatsword. Going from base int/fth to 50 or so barely adds anything to the scaling bonus.

He's probably getting less damage because for PVE, pure physical is the way to go. Elemental is only outright better for PVP. That said, if he is buffing it with SLB he should be noticing a significant damage boost assuming he's not testing against an enemy with absurd lightning resistance (such as the lionmen).

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Cowcaster posted:

What's your stat distribution like? Infusing something splits its damage between physical and the element, and also reduces physical scaling. Lightning damages scales with your faith stat. So if you were using a good strength scaling weapon and have crummy faith, you shot yourself in the foot by noxing your strength bonus for a lightning bonus that's not very good.

I have 45 strength to use Havel's Sheild and 36 faith, building up faith to 50+ so I can use Sunlight Spear. I'm running through the Undead Crypt right now if it matters in terms of things being somehow super-resistant to lightning there, although I had similar problems with the other two areas before that (shrine and castle). Now I'm mostly 2-hand sheild slamming everything with Havel's since that's doing stupid high damage for some reason (500+ per hit) and lets me get down below 70% load pretty easily even with mostly Havel armor.

Edit: Havel not Haval.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 11, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^^ You should un-imbue the sword and just cast Sunlight Blade on it.

Office Thug posted:

It's because you split the damage. Basically if you leave the Greatsword as it is, all its damage is physical, and is rated against the enemy's physical defense. When you imbue it with a boltstone, it now has a portion of damage that is physical and is rated against physical defense, and a portion that is lightning and is rated against lightning defense. Each damage type is reduced uniquely based on the enemy's defense for that type, so you may end up doing less total damage than if you had not imbued the weapon. This is my rough non-precise understanding of it.

For a 1234 example:

I have a sword that does 100 physical damage.
The enemy has 20 physical defense.
My sword does 80 total damage to it.

I imbue my sword with a boltstone: now it does 40 physical damage and 60 lightning damage. (note: imbuing may give you extra damage in whatever element you imbue so it may not be accurate to say it still totals to 100 here...this is just to illustrate the defense issue)
The enemy has 20 physical defense and 20 lightning defense.
My physical damage to it is 20.
My lightning damage to it is 40.
My lightning sword does 60 total damage to it.

It sounds like you have the faith for the new lightning scaling so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I am not sure if there are weapons that are "more ideal" for imbuing with certain elements than others (speaking in terms of strictly physical weapons...obviously if you have a natural dark weapon it will do even better dark damage if you infuse it...with dark).

Not sure why Sunlight Blade is not increasing the damage though.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 11, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

There's still a solid luck-based component to fighting a lot of enemies, though. Their decisions about what abilities to use can make or break a fight, since some attacks are just inherently more dangerous than others. I've had some cases where Mirror Knight never summons a phantom or does any of his major lightning attacks, and I've had other cases where he's done his lightning attack 3 or 4 times in a row.

Alright, yes, there is an element of luck in Dark Souls 2 just like very nearly every other game and activity in existence. Thank you for setting me straight, I'll try to be more accurate with my quips in the future to avoid spreading such misinformation.

Also speaking of Sunlight Blade, is it a different effect from the one a couple of weapons like Defender's Greatsword have? They look the same and the sword effect doesn't last as long but I've always wondered if there's any other difference.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

That r2 has always been garbage. It's really hard to actually hit anyone with it, and it leaves you hugely open.

Good rapiers; Espada Ropera is a straight upgrade to the Rapier. Estoc is good because of its long reach and sweeping moves; probably the best if you plan on making it elemental. Regular rapiers are nice because their low stat reqs make it easy to powerstance them.

Is there any real purpose to two handing a rapier or rapier variant? Would you really get any noticeable improvement?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

They tend to be faster with absurd crit damage and Poise doesn't do jack loving poo poo in this game unless you're in full Havel's with a giant's ring, in which case you will be able to take ONE hit before being poise broken.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there any real purpose to two handing a rapier or rapier variant? Would you really get any noticeable improvement?

Estoc might have a different r2 when 2handed? Haven't used it that much in this. I guess if you're using a single raper in pair with a shield it might be helpful for more damage. But you're much better off dual-wielding, either for r1 l1 alternating strikes (good stunlock) or for the powerstance l1/l2 moves.

Bobnumerotres posted:

They tend to be faster with absurd crit damage and Poise doesn't do jack loving poo poo in this game unless you're in full Havel's with a giant's ring, in which case you will be able to take ONE hit before being poise broken.

Only daggers have absurd crit damage. In that regard, str weapons are actually better. The really high AR ones (i.e. Drakekeeper's Warpick, Mastodon Halberd, Greatsword, Great Club, etc.) have stronger crits than the daggers. Plus there's the str scaling Shadow Dagger which is a bit stronger than the normal dagger with high str.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Personally I'm kinda glad the name filter is there, if only to see the creative ways people get around it just to put profanity in the name of their character.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

King of Solomon posted:

I poo poo on Dex because my Dex run was a massive shitshow until I got a katana and a decent bow, and even then it still wasn't great. Dex is weak.

My first run was a Dex based run, and the only reason I didn't use the Falchion and Rapier throughout the entire game is because I wanted to keep things interesting.

Rapier is still my goto weapon though. poke poke poke poke poke poke dead. I'm using the Black Knight Halberd as a big weapon, and just got the great lance because it's something new, but they still don't match up to the endless poking.

I'm having a lot of luck using a warped sword as a replacement to the Falchion, and if I want to two hand, I put the Falchion in my offhand. It does less damage but attacks much more quickly which makes up for it.

And really, all this weapon switching is just because I want to try new stuff. The Rapier/Falchion combo can carry me through the entire game if I wanted.

(My second character is using miracles and holy poo poo do I feel broken)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

(My second character is using miracles and holy poo poo do I feel broken)

Yeah they thought it was a fantastic idea to have no enemies in the game with the ability to resist lightning.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How do I build my character to murder every single player I come across? I don't really want to be a full on caster either, but using a faith hybrid build sounds kind of badass.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Tips for how not to die to the hippo creatures at the very beginning? Rolled swordsman.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

Tips for how not to die to the hippo creatures at the very beginning? Rolled swordsman.

The hippo creatures are meant to be taken from a distance or with pretty extreme patience.

Even when you bait their attacks, their attack speed and hitboxes are so hosed they end up hitting you anyway and killing you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ShadowMoo posted:

Move on, get some real equipment, come back and shove it all up his butt.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Roll, and get them stuck around door frames. They can't go through pretty much any door/opening, so you can more easily bait and dodge attacks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bait out their three hit combo, and after they spin around and fall on their rear end just hit them before they get up. Watch out for the butt-stomp followup though.

TGLT posted:

Roll, and get them stuck around door frames. They can't go through pretty much any door, so you can more easily bait and dodge attacks.

Or this. This works too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For casting time, is a higher chime/catalyst "cast speed" value faster or slower?

I've been really disappointed with the effectiveness of sorcery. I suppose they wanted to nerf it compared to DS1 easy mode, but getting rid of the BDCR, PW, and the CoD would have been enough. I haven't been able to use Soul Greatsword or the really high-end stuff yet, but I'm basically just leveling Int to keep up my hex damage and using miracles and Dark Orb for my mainstays; I feel like Yearn has been the most useful sorcery thus far.

Emit Force seems to own Belfry Luna.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Also, leading the two down by the lake into attacking way up onto the log bridge you knock over will generally result with them trotting straight into a bottomless pit as they retreat. That's handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

How do I build my character to murder every single player I come across? I don't really want to be a full on caster either, but using a faith hybrid build sounds kind of badass.

12 str 25 dex (minimum stats to wield chaos blade) 10 fth/int, 13 att, then just pump End/Vig/Vit/Adp. Make Chaos blade dark and use spices to spice down resonant weapon. There you go, you have the most common min/maxey sort of build. Res wep buffed dark katana is extremely powerful and fast in PVP, and since the stat investment is so low you got plenty of points to put into other things. Only downside is having to grind spices to lower the requirements of res weapon (and any other spells you want to use) to 10/10.