Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

RodShaft posted:

Mutant League Hockey and Football are both fun Genesis 2player games.

Nothing like winning a sports game because you killed too many opposing players :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XYZ posted:

Nothing like winning a sports game because you killed too many opposing players :v:

Base Wars on NES is also good for this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is this the de facto MAME thread? I looked for a specific one but couldn't find one, but I may just suck.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

scrubs season six posted:

Is this the de facto MAME thread? I looked for a specific one but couldn't find one, but I may just suck.

Pretty sure it is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

scrubs season six posted:

I'm just going to guess at what you want to ask, and the answer is probably: "you downloaded a very old romset from before the format changed and are trying to use it with modern mame" or "you downloaded a modern mame romset and you're trying to use it with older mames, especially the ones that get used on things like the raspberry pi because they ran things faster but less accurately, and are thus good for slow devices."

The formats changed somewhere around MAME version 0.140 and the current releases are 0.187. For getting an old romset to match your old versions, look for something like "mame 0.130 roms" and for new romsets for the newer versions, anything from like 0.175 up should run fine, and obviously the latest and easiest to find will be the current 1.87 (1.85 for the Software List CHDs which are the old MESS CHDs).

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fishmech posted:

I'm just going to guess at what you want to ask, and the answer is probably: "you downloaded a very old romset from before the format changed and are trying to use it with modern mame" or "you downloaded a modern mame romset and you're trying to use it with older mames, especially the ones that get used on things like the raspberry pi because they ran things faster but less accurately, and are thus good for slow devices."

The formats changed somewhere around MAME version 0.140 and the current releases are 0.187. For getting an old romset to match your old versions, look for something like "mame 0.130 roms" and for new romsets for the newer versions, anything from like 0.175 up should run fine, and obviously the latest and easiest to find will be the current 1.87 (1.85 for the Software List CHDs which are the old MESS CHDs).

and what if you guessed wrong bitch lol. wouldnt you feels stupid.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey guys. Not sure if this is :filez: or not. If it is I'll delete this.

I wanna give making my own little Raspberry PI a shot, because gently caress paying some duche on E-Bay 300 bucks for those classic systems. And gently caress Nintendo for manufactured scarcity.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was if there was anything more I needed to do this other than the Pi itself. What about cool cases and housings? Are those for sale anywhere.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

BigRed0427 posted:

I wanna give making my own little Raspberry PI a shot, because gently caress paying some duche on E-Bay 300 bucks for those classic systems. And gently caress Nintendo for manufactured scarcity.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was if there was anything more I needed to do this other than the Pi itself. What about cool cases and housings? Are those for sale anywhere.

You can literally buy a mini nes case on Amazon for a Pi. You will need a memory card for it as well, but that is kind of a given. Along with whatever controller setup you want :x

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

Pis and emulation aren't files.

There's tons of pi cases around and you will for sure definitely want one. Some are more exposed if you're going to be using the GPIO pins a lot, if you're doing it just as a game console you don't need that, you want something thicker and more robust though so it doesn't get smashed.

Just google around there's tons of good things with different colors and designs.

Make sure you get a power supply for the Pi, most don't include it. Also an SD card with a good amount of space, and probably a USB hub so you can connect some controllers or keyboard and mouse or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

From what I understand, it's fine to talk about emulation and Pi's or whatever, the line's drawn at "HEY GUYS YOU CAN GET ALL THE NES ROMS YOU WANT AT ILLEGALWAREZ.ROMS, HERE'S A LINK RIGHT TO IT!"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Make sure you get a power supply for the Pi, most don't include it. Also an SD card with a good amount of space, and probably a USB hub so you can connect some controllers or keyboard and mouse or whatever.

Do I need to get something special for it, or will any Micro USB AC plug work?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You probably want to pick up one of the many 2.5A supplies designed for the Pis, since they tend to want more power than your average USB brick can supply.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

You probably want to pick up one of the many 2.5A supplies designed for the Pis, since they tend to want more power than your average USB brick can supply.

Thanks guys. I got a good feeling about this :) If this works out, i'm gonna see about making a handheld one. Something that resembles a GBA or a game gear.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I spent $80 on a pi with case, hdmi, and two decent controllers. Had it up and running in an hour with the latest software. My stepdad has been satisfied playing NBA Jam and Tecmo Super Bowl.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What's the cheapest way to ship to mexico from the US?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah. I was looking at the back catalog for stuff for the GBA and SNES. And My god. The stuff I would tear into. Theres so much.

I can't wait to turn it into a JRPG machine.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Well, I modded my GBA AGB-001 with an aftermarket 101 screen and...looks like the combination of my 40-pin GBA and the ribbon adapter I got is one of the bad ones, with severe image retention. Brightness and image clarity looks good, though. I've ordered a new cable from a different eBayer that is apparently the "good" one for my model GBA but now I've gotta wait for it to get here from China to see if it works.

Once I can get the issue straightened out I'll be super happy with the mod as everything else looks and plays great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fishmech posted:

Nah, just looking for general advice/discussion. Thanks for the advice though, I imagine I'll run into that issue sooner or later.

12 months ago or so I downloaded whatever the current MAME version was and played some Joust and thought it'd be worth pursuing despite playing Joust on a keyboard sucking rear end. So I just moved a month ago and I got a big rear end basement and briefly considered shelling out a fairly large pile of dough for a pre built setup (probably without a screen) but then I came to my senses and realized I already had a spare computer/HTPC and a television so I bought a Tankstick (yeah I know, joysticks suck, buttons suck, it all sucks) just because of the low cost and zero effort.

So it got delivered today and tonight I fired it up and got 0.187 and played some Joust and Wizards of Wor, but I don't really know anything about any of it beyond that.

The Tankstick came with a free copy of Maximus Arcade but I wonder if it's even worth fiddling with. Like if there's a better one that's worth trying out or if I should even bother with one at all since it doesn't seem like a big deal to just pull out the HTPC keyboard and fire up 0.187 and click Favorites.

Mostly just want to play old Atari 800 games. I think my nephews will get a kick out of seeing what gaming was like when Uncle Scrubs was a kid. For 15 minutes at least.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 26, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Elliotw2 posted:

This is very important.

I think I posted about it before, but I had one of my retropie setups hooked up to one of the low-amp ports on a USB wall charger, and the thing ran like garbage. Underpower it, and you'll see a little lightning bolt in the upper right corner of the screen, and you'll notice slight to significant performance issues.

I bought one of those combo deals on Amazon, with a pi + heatsinks + basic clear case + power for ~50 or so, and it works great. Read the reviews and make sure no one's bitching about the power supply, or otherwise just find a good high rated 2.5 amp USB power brick.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is what I bought my stepdad last Christmas. Comes with everything you need including a 32gb card and 2.5a power supply. He loves the drat thing, won't shut up about Tecmo Superbowl. Cost at least half as much as a second hand NES Classic and probably more accurate, idk.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

al-azad posted:

This is what I bought my stepdad last Christmas. Comes with everything you need including a 32gb card and 2.5a power supply. He loves the drat thing, won't shut up about Tecmo Superbowl. Cost at least half as much as a second hand NES Classic and probably more accurate, idk.

How are those controllers that come with it?

This is going to be my backup if I can't find an SNES Mini. I should probably do it anyways but I hear Starfox 1 doesn't run well on emulators, and I'd also really like to play Starfox 2.
Also if it's hacked like the NES classic that would be great. Assuming I can find one when it's released. :negative:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PlushCow posted:

This is going to be my backup if I can't find an SNES Mini. I should probably do it anyways but I hear Starfox 1 doesn't run well on emulators, and I'd also really like to play Starfox 2.
Also if it's hacked like the NES classic that would be great. Assuming I can find one when it's released. :negative:

To be fair, starfox 1 doesn't run well on the SNES either

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I always thought it was balanced around that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Starfox and stuff should run fine on a newer RPi that's getting proper power, but "fine" here does mean like 5fps because that's about all it could push on the SNES even with the Super FX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PlushCow posted:

Considering there's not one but several SuperFX games in the SNES Mini lineup, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet it'll run fine. Aside from the pretty obvious evidence of the NES Mini running great, of course.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PlushCow posted:

You can play Starfox 2 on emulator just as fine as on the SNES mini.

If there is some slight update on the SNES mini rom for starfox 2 somebody will dump it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Vintersorg posted:

I always thought it was balanced around that.

It is, to the point where the music cues are broken in the intro if you overclock it – the intro finishes before the music does.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PlushCow posted:

Standard Chinese knockoffs which is to say they are imperceptible from the real thing to practically everyone except people who would post in this thread. I keep a USB-to-SNES controller adapter lying around for when I want to play roms with the real deal.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just got a notification that my SNES classic pre-order is canceled. I really doubt I'll be lucky enough to get one now.

quote:

Thank you for your interest in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Classic Edition. As you are aware, this is a highly sought after console that will launch later this fall. 

Unfortunately, due to a technical glitch, the Super Nintendo Classic Edition was mistakenly made available last Friday evening ahead of the official release date. We, regrettably, will have to cancel this item on your order. We know that this is incredibly disappointing to you, and we’re truly sorry for this mistake. 

In regards to the cancellation of this item, if you paid by credit card, your card has not been charged. Any authorization holds placed on your account will automatically expire in accordance with the card issuer's policy. If you paid through PayPal or with a gift card, your payment will be refunded when the order is cancelled. 

The official launch date for this item is 9/29, please check the product page on Walmart.com prior to that date for any updates. 

I do hope you’ll give us another chance to earn back your business. 

I'm really pissed off. I was so happy that I got in a pre order, and then there just like "lol sorry try again someday"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Which retailer?

E: Oh walmart. Lol of course, they don't give a gently caress about customer service.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I didn't expect them to deliver, especially since when I tried to order one of those $99 3DS last year they took my order the day of, fulfilled the orders of people who ordered after me, and then cancelled mine like a month later.

Walmart is poo poo.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I guess you don't become the Fortune #1 company by treating people well. Man I'm so pissed about this. Videogames suck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will never defend Walmart but don't forget to pass your blame off on Nintendo who probably didn't give them any concrete numbers other than "Yeah, you'll get some."

For a long time Amazon, the other giant symbol of lumbering Capitalism, didn't even deal with Nintendo because their distribution and fulfillment is really that terrible.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

al-azad posted:

I will never defend Walmart but don't forget to pass your blame off on Nintendo who probably didn't give them any concrete numbers other than "Yeah, you'll get some."

For a long time Amazon, the other giant symbol of lumbering Capitalism, didn't even deal with Nintendo because their distribution and fulfillment is really that terrible.

Absolutely. The whole reason this is even a big deal is because of Nintendo's manufactured scarcity. It plays right into scalpers hands and they don't seem to even care.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really think it's manufactured scarcity as much as it is Nintendo being supremely terrible now and forever at logistics.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't really think it's manufactured scarcity as much as it is Nintendo being supremely terrible now and forever at logistics.

no, it's not possible for them to still feign ignorance. when they produce way more copies of stuff like botw than switches it's pretty obvious it's intentional. Nintendo has some things like this consistently and for a very long time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

worthless. posted:

Just got a notification that my SNES classic pre-order is canceled. I really doubt I'll be lucky enough to get one now.

I'm really pissed off. I was so happy that I got in a pre order, and then there just like "lol sorry try again someday"

Assuming you have an Android phone, I can guarantee you a preorder if you follow a little trick I came up with:

Go to nowinstock.net and register your cell phone to receive notifications for the snes classic. MAKE SURE you specify this includes notifications for pre-orders because this is not on by default.

Go to the Google Play Store and download the app called Where's My Droid.

In the app you can set up a trigger text if you ever lose your phone. By default it's something like WMD Find or something, meaning if you text yourself that from another person's phone, your phone will make loud horrible noises even with the phone being on silent.

Change the phrase to nowinstock

You will now be alerted of an snes classic preorder going up even if you are sleeping, in a movie theater, or at a funeral. You can thank me with a virtual beer clank.

Don't share this life pro tip on any other forums please because I really want one too.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

What's the cheapest way to ship to mexico from the US?

USPS is your best option by far. UPS and Fedex are insanely expensive and it's more probably to get your package retained at customs.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I'm thinking about greeting a flashcart for my Genesis but I'm afraid it will spoil me. It's like when you get godmode in videogames. You see everything real quick and then you lose interest. I don't complain about spending a lot of money on games because then I feel obligated to play them. With a flashcart I feel I'll lose this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's purely psychological but a thing. Could alway try keeping only a single rom on it for a week, or till you beat it, or something like that

• Locked thread