Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I have MetroPCS, I don't think I get any rebate through them for a new phone. $75/month for two people, unlimited data I think. For the past 3 (?) years I have been using a refurbished Pixel 2XL, but its been dropped multiple times and is all cracked.

I only use text, calls, whatsapp, camera, and a few minor apps. I don't need a crazy phone. A good camera would be nice. Keeping the price below $400 if possible.

I remember reading about Nokia making an open, repairable phone? That sounds cool.

What are my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I have MetroPCS, I don't think I get any rebate through them for a new phone. $75/month for two people, unlimited data I think. For the past 3 (?) years I have been using a refurbished Pixel 2XL, but its been dropped multiple times and is all cracked.

I only use text, calls, whatsapp, camera, and a few minor apps. I don't need a crazy phone. A good camera would be nice. Keeping the price below $400 if possible.

I remember reading about Nokia making an open, repairable phone? That sounds cool.

What are my options?

Pixel 6A would be great. If you happen to find a discounted regular pixel 6 online also fine.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

DildenAnders posted:

Country/Provider: United States/Verizon

Current contract status:Family plan

Budget (phone/plan): <$500USD (the lower the better)

Features I know I want: SD card slot, headphone jack, (if possible) protective shutter for selfie camera, long-term support.

So it seems  like it's finally  time to retire my old Galaxy S-8 after nearly 6 years of dutiful service. If I could get something with a similar UI without spending a fortune I'd be thrilled (really don't want a google phone.) Performance isn't a huge concern, I'd love to emulate games on it but it's not a strict requirement, just as long as I have the software flexibility of the s8. Otherwise, I really don't like/don't care about features other than an SD slot and headphone jack (use them both all the time). I'm used to a 3 year old battery so anything decent is fine, as long as I can read a screen decently in the sunlight I'll be good (I use mine at the lowest res now for battery life). Whether it's hardware or software I'd love something with good longevity, I hate switching things over and again I don't care much about features. I do not want to trade in my current phone, and if possible I'd like to buy one outright as long as it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to switch on Verizon's end. It would be very nice to use my SmartSwitch backup and keep everything the same. $500 is the top end of my budget but spending less would be awesome. I would be thrilled if I could get something that's repairable/modular to a degree but I feel like I haven't heard of many phones like that these days. Can't stress enough I don't want a disposable phone that will break in 1 year, so leaning heavily away from Apple/Google hardware. I'm not too familiar with phone buying so any and all input is appreciated.

EDIT: Is there anything bad about Galaxy A14? It sounds good for what I'm after but I'm not sure if there's anything I'm missing.

Looks to me like the Galaxy A54 should fit your needs and budget. It's pretty much brand new as well so you'd get maximum longevity out of it as well.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Desk Lamp posted:

Looks to me like the Galaxy A54 should fit your needs and budget. It's pretty much brand new as well so you'd get maximum longevity out of it as well.

Thankd for the feedback, I actually went with a Galaxy A14 because of the headphone jack. For $200 it does everything I want from a phone (and more) so I'm more than happy. Honestly, my least favorite aspect of the phone is probably the 5G (it seems to be pretty spotty, but I'll live.)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Looking for new plan(s)/carrier. I've been with ATT since the iphone 3gs, and itos done well enough, but i've been on a legacy plan for ages and even with a corporate discount, I'm paying 200/mo. for 4 lines w/ 10 gb.

FWIW, living in N VT and most carriers are pretty dogshit once you get out of town.

The plan is me, my wife and her parents. We could get away with less data easily.

Please, regale me with tales of savings and abundant coverage.

edit: aaaaand the wife trashed her current iphone tonight... time for an upgrade there. MIL is due as well. we can handle out of pocket costs... but seems to be carrier locked on latest models unless you pay apple an extra couple of bucks.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 16, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Looking for new plan(s)/carrier. I've been with ATT since the iphone 3gs, and itos done well enough, but i've been on a legacy plan for ages and even with a corporate discount, I'm paying 200/mo. for 4 lines w/ 10 gb.

FWIW, living in N VT and most carriers are pretty dogshit once you get out of town.

The plan is me, my wife and her parents. We could get away with less data easily.

Please, regale me with tales of savings and abundant coverage.

edit: aaaaand the wife trashed her current iphone tonight... time for an upgrade there. MIL is due as well. we can handle out of pocket costs... but seems to be carrier locked on latest models unless you pay apple an extra couple of bucks.

Yeah $200 for 10GB you are way overdue for changing up somehow.

Cant speak for ATT pricing, but certainly I would call and see what their current promos are.

Verizon wise you can do this setup:

Start unlimited: $35 a line * 4 = $140 ($160 after taxes). Unlimited data, at times of network congestion you can see slower speeds.

Do you need 4 new phones or just one ? You can get a monthly discount for bring your own device, or there are discounts for new devices. You can pick and choose.

I would think VZ does well in Vermont but last time I was in Vermont was in 2014 with ATT (def was hit or miss).

Feel free to post or PM updates and questions here, Im not customer facing at the moment but can tell you what to look for.

if you want me to have a co worker call you I could, or just call the Verizon sales department here: (800) 256-4646

bigtag
Jan 21, 2023

by vyelkin
thinking of getting a pixel when my contact runs out this summer. is there a date for the new one?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bigtag posted:

thinking of getting a pixel when my contact runs out this summer. is there a date for the new one?

Generally early October.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

In the UK on the EE network.

Is there a mid-range Android phone with a good macro camera?

Any current mid-range smartphone would be good enough, otherwise, I'm not a power user. Long battery life with Bluetooth turned on would be a bonus.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Any idea when/if the regular Pixel 7 might have any deals again, now that the 7a's out?

I'm aware that the 6a is currently $299 via the Google Store/Amazon, kicking myself a little bit that I didn't snag the 7 @ $450 a couple of months ago.

Also, what's the current suggestion for getting prepaid minutes/data SIM cards for going to EU?

I have used Verizon's travel plans in the past, but @$10/day, (I know there's other methods available) I'd like something that's going to work for navigating and not always having wifi available.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Any idea when/if the regular Pixel 7 might have any deals again, now that the 7a's out?

I'm aware that the 6a is currently $299 via the Google Store/Amazon, kicking myself a little bit that I didn't snag the 7 @ $450 a couple of months ago.

Also, what's the current suggestion for getting prepaid minutes/data SIM cards for going to EU?

I have used Verizon's travel plans in the past, but @$10/day, (I know there's other methods available) I'd like something that's going to work for navigating and not always having wifi available.

If you have Verizon postpaid they may have a retention trade in towards the 7, main disclaimer is itll require a 3 year contract.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have Verizon postpaid they may have a retention trade in towards the 7, main disclaimer is itll require a 3 year contract.

Does it necessarily require a new line be added to it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008, if I switch from Verizon prepaid to postpaid will I keep the loyalty bonuses I've built up? Verizon has finally started to roll out 5G here, and I'm slowly considering making the jump to have access to C-band 5G instead of just the LTE equivalent. No rush - coverage here is still nowhere near complete.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Does it necessarily require a new line be added to it?

Ymmv, sometimes yes sometimes there is an account specific offer where upgrades can get it. Only way to know is to ask, I would call sales at (800) 256-4646

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Duckman2008, if I switch from Verizon prepaid to postpaid will I keep the loyalty bonuses I've built up? Verizon has finally started to roll out 5G here, and I'm slowly considering making the jump to have access to C-band 5G instead of just the LTE equivalent. No rush - coverage here is still nowhere near complete.

Those are prepaid only, so no. Youre likely also on a grandfathered prepaid plan, so they wouldnt translate completely to the current prepaid either fyi.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Ymmv, sometimes yes sometimes there is an account specific offer where upgrades can get it. Only way to know is to ask, I would call sales at (800) 256-4646

Those are prepaid only, so no. Youre likely also on a grandfathered prepaid plan, so they wouldnt translate completely to the current prepaid either fyi.

Okay, thanks! I'll continue to dither about it and look for deals.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I need to get someone a mobile hotspot. It's going to be used almost exclusively maybe 1-2 days a year for replacing home internet when it's down for WFH. The hotspot itself can always be plugged in when in use, and probably a lot of them would be fine, but figuring out what sort of plan to go with that can provide the necessary level of performance without being disgustingly expensive the 99% of the time it's doing nothing is a bit difficult. Ultimately the work is valuable enough that a lot could be justified, but I'd prefer to cost them as little as possible. Is there some sort of data-only plan that can quickly be activated when needed if you already own a hotspot and have a SIM, or is getting hosed just inevitable?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I need to get someone a mobile hotspot. It's going to be used almost exclusively maybe 1-2 days a year for replacing home internet when it's down for WFH. The hotspot itself can always be plugged in when in use, and probably a lot of them would be fine, but figuring out what sort of plan to go with that can provide the necessary level of performance without being disgustingly expensive the 99% of the time it's doing nothing is a bit difficult. Ultimately the work is valuable enough that a lot could be justified, but I'd prefer to cost them as little as possible. Is there some sort of data-only plan that can quickly be activated when needed if you already own a hotspot and have a SIM, or is getting hosed just inevitable?

I mean, adding for $10-20 a month as a family plan add on is the best bet. Individual plans will be monthly and expensive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Problems there is that they have their cell service bundled through Xfinity. I assume they are probably going to need to change that, since it seems like Comcast isn't in the business of selling data plans?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Problems there is that they have their cell service bundled through Xfinity. I assume they are probably going to need to change that, since it seems like Comcast isn't in the business of selling data plans?

Yeah far as I know they arent.

Is T-Mobile home internet available ? Tbh, $50 a month gif stand alone backup internet is gonna be the cheapest youll find.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Do you have any idea how much data they will need? I keep my secondary phone on a Tracfone plan that has rollover data, partly for reasons like what you describe. I generally don't use that phone, and it just banks 2GB of data every month for roughly $20 on autorefill (I'd have to check exactly what I'm paying - I think it's a little less than that). At this point it has 28.88GB of data saved up, so I have a reserve if I need to use it as a hotspot.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 15, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That could definitely be an option, if they could use 10gb of data in a day without getting throttled.

Double A
Jun 16, 2023
Currently have a XCover Pro. Got it last year and it's refurbished, but the model is from 2020. Pretty fuckin durable but it landed on the edge of a tile and now it's a bit cracked. Thinking about replacing either the screen or the whole phone. How much of an upgrade is the xcover6 pro, really? Should I give a poo poo, as someone who just posts, chats, watches videos, and plays Arknights? Is there a competitor phone that's durable and has a removable battery (the only two features I actually care about)?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Hey yall, wandering into this subforum for the first time ever cause I need a 'new' phone.

I want a refurbished Andriod phone - there are hundreds of options out there and I am overwhelmed with choice.

Country/Provider: I'm in The Netherlands with T-Mobile

Current contract status: I currently have month-to-month, no long-term plan. My current phone is a Huawei Lite Pro 6 or something, I'm not entirely sure. I got it for free three years ago (long story) but it's gradually becoming unusable. Apps crash all the time.

Budget (phone/plan): No plan needed, just want a new phone I can put my SIM card into. I would like to stay under 250/300ish Euros. I want an Andriod phone

Features I know I want:

I don't need anything real fancy. I want to be able to use the fun filters on TikTok and play games without serious slowdowns and crashes. My husband has a later model iPhone and takes most of the pictures, so I don't need like, the nicest camera in the world.

I have had Samsungs in the past and was satisfied with them. I also had a Google Nexus (I think that's what it was called) tablet that I liked as well (up until the battery became unchargable). I am leaning towards a Google Pixel because of my experience with the tablet. I don't really want a Huawei or a Xaomi because of how fast my Huawei went downhill.

If it matters, I mostly use wifi because I am trying to keep my monthly payment low and I don't have a huge data plan.

So, please, what do yall think my best option is?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So after a motherboard rebuild and a battery replacement, my Xiaomi Mix 2s is giving up the ghost. Time for a replacement.

Country/Provider:
I'm in China. I use T - Mobile (USA) and China Mobile.

Current contract status:
Family plan on T - Mobile. Monthly on China Mobile.

Budget (phone/plan):
Not looking for a change in Plan. I'm looking for an Android phone in the $500 range.

Features I know I want:
Dual sim. Battery Live. Decent Camera. Decent memory. I know that all this might be a tall order for a $500 - 600 phone.

I used to rock with Xiaomi Phones for a while, but I may steer clear of them for my next phone. Battery life seems to be waning in later models and Xiaomi is not Google friendly anymore since around 2020. MIUI is half bloatware nowadays. You can't even flash a custom OS on mainland Xiaomi phones anymore. I suppose I can buy an International model in Hong Kong with pre - loaded Android services, but I digress.

I'm travelling to the US in July, so I plan to buy a phone then. I have heard good things about Oneplus phones, but I would need to order them while in the US. Ironically, you can't buy them in Mainland China.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For the previous two posts, I would suggest either Pixels or Samsung phones. I personally don't like Samsung phones, but I know a lot of people are happy with them. My Pixel 6 is easily my favorite phone ever, and the Pixel 6a I got my dad is also a great phone. Since both of you talk about keeping phones for a reasonable length of time both Google and Samsung support their phones for a goodly amount of time.

For that same reason I would strongly recommend AGAINST Motorola. They have the worst software support of any major phone manufacturer, and reviews of their phones often don't mention this. Since being acquired by Lenovo several years back Motorola has a pattern of lying about Android version updates, short support windows, and late security updates. The hardware itself is often fine, but the software support is worst-in-class.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Hey yall, wandering into this subforum for the first time ever cause I need a 'new' phone.

I want a refurbished Andriod phone - there are hundreds of options out there and I am overwhelmed with choice.

Country/Provider: I'm in The Netherlands with T-Mobile

Current contract status: I currently have month-to-month, no long-term plan. My current phone is a Huawei Lite Pro 6 or something, I'm not entirely sure. I got it for free three years ago (long story) but it's gradually becoming unusable. Apps crash all the time.

Budget (phone/plan): No plan needed, just want a new phone I can put my SIM card into. I would like to stay under 250/300ish Euros. I want an Andriod phone

Features I know I want:

I don't need anything real fancy. I want to be able to use the fun filters on TikTok and play games without serious slowdowns and crashes. My husband has a later model iPhone and takes most of the pictures, so I don't need like, the nicest camera in the world.

I have had Samsungs in the past and was satisfied with them. I also had a Google Nexus (I think that's what it was called) tablet that I liked as well (up until the battery became unchargable). I am leaning towards a Google Pixel because of my experience with the tablet. I don't really want a Huawei or a Xaomi because of how fast my Huawei went downhill.

If it matters, I mostly use wifi because I am trying to keep my monthly payment low and I don't have a huge data plan.

So, please, what do yall think my best option is?

I'm unsure of what price you'll be advertised in NL but I got a new pixel 6a for about your budget a few months ago. I think that's a solid option to check out

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For the previous two posts, I would suggest either Pixels or Samsung phones. I personally don't like Samsung phones, but I know a lot of people are happy with them. My Pixel 6 is easily my favorite phone ever, and the Pixel 6a I got my dad is also a great phone. Since both of you talk about keeping phones for a reasonable length of time both Google and Samsung support their phones for a goodly amount of time.

For that same reason I would strongly recommend AGAINST Motorola. They have the worst software support of any major phone manufacturer, and reviews of their phones often don't mention this. Since being acquired by Lenovo several years back Motorola has a pattern of lying about Android version updates, short support windows, and late security updates. The hardware itself is often fine, but the software support is worst-in-class.

With either the 6/6A, how has battery life been? Looking on some other boards, folks have complained about their 6's having horrible battery life/getting hot.

I'm not sure if that's a hardware issue, OS issue, app issue, (think twitter/tiktok being super battery drainers) or a user/5G issue.

True about Motorola phones, the only thing that they still push as being great are the batteries, but one can get larger sized batteries from Samsung/Google nowadays for around that $300-400 price range that are likely better in every way, hardware & support-wise.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I'm unsure of what price you'll be advertised in NL but I got a new pixel 6a for about your budget a few months ago. I think that's a solid option to check out

I can get a refurbed Pixel 6 for about 350 Euros here, new would be around 500. I think that's what I am gonna do, thanks to you and CaptainSarcastic!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Killer_B posted:

With either the 6/6A, how has battery life been? Looking on some other boards, folks have complained about their 6's having horrible battery life/getting hot.

I'm not sure if that's a hardware issue, OS issue, app issue, (think twitter/tiktok being super battery drainers) or a user/5G issue.

True about Motorola phones, the only thing that they still push as being great are the batteries, but one can get larger sized batteries from Samsung/Google nowadays for around that $300-400 price range that are likely better in every way, hardware & support-wise.

My battery life is generally good, with the only thing that really will drain me fast being wireless Android Auto. Otherwise with light use I could do 2 days between charges. I do mean pretty light use, though - my work timeclock, occasional searches, and the Awful app are most of what I use. Most of the time I have had the phone I've had it in LTE-only mode since there was no 5G in my town. Now we have some coverage but it's so recent I don't feel like I can say if it has affected my battery life switching to 5G mode or not.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

For years, we were on a Verizon plan called Medium 4G Plan or something like that, 3 lines. Every other month or so, we'd use up our data and be charged $15 more for another chunk of data. We were getting rather tired of this, so last week we switched to their Unlimited Welcome plan. Big mistake, suddenly now when we're out and about, internet access on our phones is super slow or non-existent. "Network congestion" Verizon tells me, which was never a problem with the old plan. I'm told if I upgrade to Unlimited Plus, it should speed things up, but I would still be subject to data speed throttling once I reach a certain limit. It would be cheaper, faster, more reliable, and no speed throttling if we go back to our old plan and pay the extra $15 as needed. Hey guess what, that old plan was retired, apparently we got grandfathered in to continue it, but now that we left it we cannot go back to it. If I am to stick with Verizon, I can only pay more for worse service.

Suggestions for another carrier/plan? Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Nose posted:

For years, we were on a Verizon plan called Medium 4G Plan or something like that, 3 lines. Every other month or so, we'd use up our data and be charged $15 more for another chunk of data. We were getting rather tired of this, so last week we switched to their Unlimited Welcome plan. Big mistake, suddenly now when we're out and about, internet access on our phones is super slow or non-existent. "Network congestion" Verizon tells me, which was never a problem with the old plan. I'm told if I upgrade to Unlimited Plus, it should speed things up, but I would still be subject to data speed throttling once I reach a certain limit. It would be cheaper, faster, more reliable, and no speed throttling if we go back to our old plan and pay the extra $15 as needed. Hey guess what, that old plan was retired, apparently we got grandfathered in to continue it, but now that we left it we cannot go back to it. If I am to stick with Verizon, I can only pay more for worse service.

Suggestions for another carrier/plan? Thanks.

Few things:

1. The unlimited plus plan has 0 throttling now. The premium plans used to have a soft limit (which was 50GB a line anyway, way higher than 4GB)

2. Point 1 is kind of invalid anyway because the plus plan is a lot more than your 4GB plan no matter how you splice it. On the Verizon side, sometimes there are loyalty discounts , so you can call and ask for that , but I wouldnt guarantee it at the same rate as the 4GB plan. You could ask care to file an escalation to get your old plan back, there is a process, but whether it is approved or not is of course a whole other thing. If you want to check on either option this is the quickest number to care: (800) 392-0717

3. Unlimited plus for 3 lines is $165 before tax and fees. If you get a loyalty discount, maybe $140. Tax and fees is $6-7 a line. Your old plan was approximately $110 before tax and fees.

4. Normally I would recommend prepaid, but prepaid service for most carriers get even lower data priority. For the same reason, stay away from Comcast or spectrum.

5. Looking at T-Mobile, its as low as $90 for 3 with 50GB of premium data, but I have no idea if that is per line or shared. $130 is 100GB and $150 is no caps. You would want to call them to confirm policies.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So Pershing Jr. had his first "forgot my phone was in my swim trunks" experience. His hand-me-down Moto G6 is now at the bottom of the Gulf Of Mexico.

Country/Provider:
USA - Verizon

Current contract status:
Verizon 5G Play More ($65/line, 3 lines total)

Budget (phone/plan):
I'd change plan if it was a real deal. Phone: an 'average' phone, shouldn't suck in any particular area but it doesn't have to excel either.

Features I know I want:
Your average Android phone.

PS I am a Costco member if that helps. I have a locked 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S22 128GB and my wife has a 3-4 year old unlocked Moto G6 we could hand down to him.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 22, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

So Pershing Jr. had his first "forgot my phone was in my swim trunks" experience. His hand-me-down Moto G6 is now at the bottom of the Gulf Of Mexico.

Country/Provider:
USA - Verizon

Current contract status:
Verizon 5G Play More ($65/line, 3 lines total)

Budget (phone/plan):
I'd change plan if it was a real deal. Phone: an 'average' phone, shouldn't suck in any particular area but it doesn't have to excel either.

Features I know I want:
Your average Android phone.

PS I am a Costco member if that helps. I have a locked 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S22 128GB and my wife has a 3-4 year old unlocked Moto G6 we could hand down to him.

Your plan is better than the current plans dont change it.

It comes down the what you want to buy. I dont know if your wifes number would have a promo , and sometimes said promo requires trade in. You can check with Verizon by calling sales here: (800) 256-4646 .

If there are no promos, depends on whether you want to get your wife a new phone and pass down hers or buy your kid a low coast Motorola phone.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
My trusty Pixel 3a appears to be finally dying. What's the modern equivalent of this phone? Not a heavy user, main priorities are similar size (or smaller) than the 3a and battery life. USA based using Google Fi.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nohearum posted:

My trusty Pixel 3a appears to be finally dying. What's the modern equivalent of this phone? Not a heavy user, main priorities are similar size (or smaller) than the 3a and battery life. USA based using Google Fi.

A Pixel 7a

marcelmouse
Jul 4, 2006
Social scientist. Rodent.
The phone I want probably doesn't exist. Please tell me I am wrong:

I am an ATT Prepaid user, and have since the Cingular days. I pay $10 a month combined for a texting package and a data package. I am willing to switch plans if it means I get something closer to the phone I want, but it's hard to talk me into switching b/c I am almost always in wifi, do 100% of my voice calls on Skype, and don't text a lot. $10 is pretty goddamn cheap, imho. Mostly my phone is meant to be a waterproof email terminal and an ebook reader.

Current phone is a Galaxy S7 Active. I like it because it's rugged as hell, and waterproof, and has actual physical buttons, a 3.5mm jack, and an AMOLED screen. My ebook reader lets me do amber text on a black background, and the last time I checked, IPS screens sucked at black backgrounds. So I've been using Galaxy S_ Actives since forever. I never got an S8 active because of the absence of physical buttons. I hate Samsung interfaces on all devices, but they're the company that made a waterproof phone with an AMOLED screen, so I've just been pissed off every single time I've had to use my phone, for like the last eight years or so.

If I want a very rugged waterproof phone with an AMOLED screen, what can I get? Nothing on ATT, right? If I want a rugged phone with buttons and a 3.5mm jack, I guess I should shop for a time machine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

marcelmouse posted:

The phone I want probably doesn't exist. Please tell me I am wrong:

I am an ATT Prepaid user, and have since the Cingular days. I pay $10 a month combined for a texting package and a data package. I am willing to switch plans if it means I get something closer to the phone I want, but it's hard to talk me into switching b/c I am almost always in wifi, do 100% of my voice calls on Skype, and don't text a lot. $10 is pretty goddamn cheap, imho. Mostly my phone is meant to be a waterproof email terminal and an ebook reader.

Current phone is a Galaxy S7 Active. I like it because it's rugged as hell, and waterproof, and has actual physical buttons, a 3.5mm jack, and an AMOLED screen. My ebook reader lets me do amber text on a black background, and the last time I checked, IPS screens sucked at black backgrounds. So I've been using Galaxy S_ Actives since forever. I never got an S8 active because of the absence of physical buttons. I hate Samsung interfaces on all devices, but they're the company that made a waterproof phone with an AMOLED screen, so I've just been pissed off every single time I've had to use my phone, for like the last eight years or so.

If I want a very rugged waterproof phone with an AMOLED screen, what can I get? Nothing on ATT, right? If I want a rugged phone with buttons and a 3.5mm jack, I guess I should shop for a time machine.

https://kyoceramobile.com/duraforce-pro-2/unlocked/

https://www.sonimtech.com/products/devices/xp10/

Make sure they are compatible with ATT (pretty sure both are), your plan is insanely cheap so just buy anything full retail.

Disclaimer that I wouldnt bet on either company being prompt on software updates but you have a S7 so itll be an improvement either way.

Edit: one small thing to add, both above brands have been around years and are at the least reliable. And if it helps, as long as there are construction workers , there will be a rugged smartphone available.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 28, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I would suggest a pixel 6a with a waterproof case and a gorilla glass screen protector. Check if AT&T has it for you. I am a metropcs pre-paid customer, and they had the Pixel 6a for $170 for me.

marcelmouse
Jul 4, 2006
Social scientist. Rodent.

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: one small thing to add, both above brands have been around years and are at the least reliable. And if it helps, as long as there are construction workers , there will be a rugged smartphone available.
I sure wish I could find construction workers who insisted on true black; both those phones, which look great, have IPS screens. If CAT made phones with AMOLED screens, I probably would have already bought their phone-with-FLIR-camera, just for the joy of having FLIR in my pocket.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I would suggest a pixel 6a with a waterproof case and a gorilla glass screen protector.
I guess any AT&T-supporting phone with an AMOLED screen and a true IP68 case would do the trick for me. Thanks for pointing that out, it expands my search parameters a fair bit. I'm the only person in this house who doesn't have a Pixel of one sort or another; they're good phones, I just excluded them b/c when I think of cases for phones, I never assume that they offer full encapsulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Whelp, looks like my phone (Pixel 4a) is dying (or more probably the charging port is going, but same diff). What're my options for cheap, not-terrible android phones that still have a headphone jack? Will only be used for web/youtube/maps/music. I don't have a price limit, "not-terrible" costs what it costs, but I'm not looking to spend any money I don't have to either. On T-Mobile and grandfathered in to some crazy rate, so changing plans/providers isn't an option.