Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

2k, gently caress me. 400 bucks more than the X-T2, how????? Guess I'm staying with the E-M1. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I've been plenty happy with my EM-1. The new features are nice but I'm not paying 2 grand for them when I could put that towards glass.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

widunder posted:

I've been using my X-E1 for two and a half years now and the autofocus in low light is starting to bug me. I'd also like an articulating screen. The XT-2 and X-Pro2 are both way out of my budget, even used. Since weather sealing isn't a huge deal for me, would a used XT-10 be a good buy? I shoot with the 35mm 1.4 (mostly portraits and general use) and will be looking to pick up the 55-200 (for sports stuff). With the lens and body firmware upgrades, would the AF be pretty decent?

(right now I'm shooting sports with a manual Canon FD 100mm lens so I'll take anything :unsmith: )

The X-T10 and the X-T1 have the same AF system apparently which is leaps and bounds better than that Gen1 crap the original x-mount cameras had. You'll probably be quite happy with the X-T10.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I pre-ordered one but I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

Are Olympus bodies durable? I plan on using this thing for at least 4-5 years as my main camera, putting it through heavy use while I travel all over the world.

Wengy posted:

2k, gently caress me. 400 bucks more than the X-T2, how????? Guess I'm staying with the E-M1. This is absolutely ridiculous.

To be kind of fair you do need the power grip for certain features. The 16-55 is also several hundred dollars more expensive than the 12-40mm on the second hand/gray market, and it lacks image stabilization.

As a whole package, including lens selection, it's incredible how versatile the EM1.2 is. There's always some sort of major compromise when it comes to any other camera.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Olympus bodies (at least the flagships) are rugged as gently caress. The E-M1 hat some problems with the strap lugs, but I'm sure those are fixed on the new one (lol). And yeah, I'd much rather have the 12-40 than the Fuji equivalent; I'm very happy with m4/3 lenses in general. I just think it's crazy how expensive these bodies are getting.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
That's reassuring to hear. I'm going to beat the poo poo out of this stupid expensive thing.

Edit: Are there any cheap lenses worth looking at? So far I'm planning on getting a 40-150mm which is only about 70 bucks on ebay.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 2, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My EM-1 has been through hell and back at several spartan races, it's built like a brick shithouse. Same for the 40-150mm f/2.8 pro. Downpours, mud, salt water spray, no problem with any of it.

E: far as cheap lenses go the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is spectacular, I think the early version can be found for under $200 now.
E2: It's also very easy to adapt OM lenses to it and there are a ton of those available.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 2, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I suspect Fuji is trying to unload all the grey market new XT1 before they announce the XT20. Obviously it will have 24mp since XA3 is 24mp.

I remember XPro1 body went on sale many times before Fuji finally emptied the stock.

XT1 is a much better all around body than XPro1.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
@DJExile Did you actually run a spartan race with the 40-150? Got any photos from the event?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just want Fuji to put out the drat 50/2 already. And then announce and immediately release 3-4 more >$400, slightly slower versions of pro lenses.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 2, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoren posted:

@DJExile Did you actually run a spartan race with the 40-150? Got any photos from the event?

I photograph for them at some races around the Midwest.

Untitled by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

This was a couple years ago in a hailstorm that showed up at the Ohio race. Taken with the 60mm f/2.8 macro, which is also weather/dust sealed, well-built, and a great inexpensive lens.

E: Dog carry!

This was the 40-150mm f/2.8 if memory serves. It is not cheap but drat it is a fantastic lens.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 2, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are any of the pre-order places tax free for Ohio or has that gone the way of the dodo?

I'm betting this will be top for at least 2 years and I really need weathersealing

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

lolling at the DPR forums:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a conspiracy guys.

Both XT2, A6500 and EM1II have 25-30% price bump of previous model. Coincident? I think no!

The Japanese have us by the balls. Yongnuo save us!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are any of the pre-order places tax free for Ohio or has that gone the way of the dodo?

I'm betting this will be top for at least 2 years and I really need weathersealing

I think that's done for around here.

also hi from toledo :toot:

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

whatever7 posted:

It's a conspiracy guys.

Both XT2, A6500 and EM1II have 25-30% price bump of previous model. Coincident? I think no!

The Japanese have us by the balls. Yongnuo save us!

Seriouschat: The USD also dropped most of this to the yen. In 2014-2015, $1 was ¥120 or 125. Its floating closer to 100 now. Notice the older cameras are not heavily discounted in the US? By exchange rate logic, they already are.

The main cause was brexit which has nothing to do with either the US or Japan lol.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Everything's more expensive now. Even old manual focus slr lenses seem to be going up in price. And what is available on sites like ebay are often the lovely lemons that user/collectors don't want to hold on to. Even KEH's inventory seems much sparser than a couple of years ago.

In addition to exchange rates and inflation, I blame Sony FF mirrorless users and those goofballs who adapt them to crop sensor cameras (myself included). I bet that a manual focus SLR prime is like the second or third lens purchase that most mirrorless camera owners make. I sold my old Fuji 35mm 1.4 to a dude on Craigslist, and it was the first x-mount lens he was buying for his xt1. All of his other lenses were Minolta SR mount.

At least there's plenty of stuff available from Japanese ebay sellers. Often priced better, too. Although shipping can cut into the savings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Even KEH's inventory seems much sparser than a couple of years ago.
I thought they got sold a while back and now everyone hates them? I'm not sure I'd look to them as a good benchmark for used gear anymore.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any such things as setup guides? I'm getting my X-T1 on the weekend and want to make sure I'm not setting it up incorrectly.

Looking through the manual is pretty overwhelming.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any such things as setup guides? I'm getting my X-T1 on the weekend and want to make sure I'm not setting it up incorrectly.

The beautiful thing about the XT-1 is that nearly everything important to shooting has a physical button, switch, or dial for it, and the things that don't can be set up to modify with a push of the Q button.

Number one thing I'd change first? Switch the direction pad to change AF points instead of whatever the defaults are.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Red_Fred posted:

Film simulation, "Astia"
Speed dial, 1/125
Shooting mode, single
ISO dial, Auto

There you are welcome.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I thought they got sold a while back and now everyone hates them? I'm not sure I'd look to them as a good benchmark for used gear anymore.

Yeah, but I don't know where else to look :shrug:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Red_Fred posted:

You may want to set Noise Reduction to -2, as it renders skin too plasticky for my taste.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks people :tipshat:

These are the kinds of things that I'm after.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Film simulation, "Astia"
Speed dial, 1/125
Shooting mode, single
ISO dial, Auto

There you are welcome.

Classic chrome :colbert:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Classic chrome :colbert:

I shoot a lot of my kids, so subject matter may affect this, but I almost never shoot CC and think it makes people look kind of bad. I think it's more of a specialized tool, like a desat answer to Velvia.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was using Astia for the longest time but now I have really been enjoying keeping it on Velvia and forgetting about anything else. Agreed on putting noise reduction to the lowest setting though - there is really no need to have it anywhere higher. If you google "x-T1 settings" you can get an idea of what some options are without having to deal with the manual. Back when I got mine that is what I did and it taught me enough about where everything is to tweak it to how I like it and where to put the various custom keys. I don't like setting the circle buttons to autofocus point though - I find it more useful to have those as custom settings and I put the af select point button on the front so my index finger will be right there to press it and then the circle buttons turn into af select points. I suggest putting face detection on an easy to reach button so you can access it easily to turn it on and off when you need it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I left my X100S as default, then when I got the X-T10 I set the back up to work mostly the same way just to avoid confusion.

I never did figure out back-button focus, though. I loved that when I had my Canon but spent 2-3 minutes once trying to make it work on the X100 and gave up. I'm sure it's easy if it's a thing you care about, though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you put it in manual focus mode it has back button focus by default.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I'll be damned.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Holy poo poo the X-T2 is a beast! I was expecting the obvious upgrade over the X-T1 but it really exceeded my expectations. I had the Vello vertical grip on my X-T1 and basically never took it off so getting the grip for the X-T2 was a no brainer considering the performance improvements with it on but it is super heavy (at least compared to what I am used to with the grip on my X-T1). It is really getting away from "light and small" like what people think of when thinking of advantages shooting mirrorless. I'm not put off by it though - before switching to Fuji I would bring my 5D everywhere anyway so it is still smaller than that. The exposure is a lot more intelligent and the autofocus is blowing my mind compared to what I am used to (and that is just with the 24 1.4 - I haven't tried any of the LM lenses yet to see how fast they can be). The film emulations also seem slightly different and better, which I did not expect. Maybe it is just the general IQ improvements, I don't know. When I get some time I want to shoot some images with both the X-T1 and X-T2 with identical settings to compare the output between the two.

Anyway, it is a loving amazing camera and highly recommended.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do people actually use the film emulation? That only works with Jpegs right?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

No, it is in Lightroom under camera calibration too for raws. Although a lot of people use the jpgs out of camera too - I use them fairly often when I convert a few raws in camera to throw online if they don't need editing and I want to be quick about it.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

You can toggle the film emulation on Fuji raw files in Lightroom using the camera calibration box as well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Red_Fred posted:

I shoot raw+jpg and use the in camera jpg most of the time. Fuji jpgs are that good.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I'm pretty happy with Olympus JPEGs. I'm not shooting landscapes or mixed lighting all the time.

Most of the time you can do emulation in post anyway, but it makes sense if you think of it as film. There's something about knowing how the scene is going to look that makes you hunt for shots. It's fun.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Lightroom's Fuji film emulation identical to the in-camera raw converter? I haven't actually tested it but I swear it's... Different...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

8th-snype posted:

I shoot raw+jpg and use the in camera jpg most of the time. Fuji jpgs are that good.

I shoot raw+jpeg and my import setting in lightroom defaults to applying the Provia profile to my raw files. I only really use the jpegs for transferring via wifi to my phone.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Lightroom's Fuji film emulation identical to the in-camera raw converter? I haven't actually tested it but I swear it's... Different...

Definitely not. It gets it in the ball park but they are not the same. I spent over an hour trying to just match the greens on on emulation before I gave up. Saturation and luminance are just not the same for several colors. I stopped obsessing about it and try not to think about it...but now I need to do it all again to test it with the X-T2 :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

The LR film emulation isn't identical but close enough I hear. I'd say that the Fuji in-camera convertor gets pretty drat close to the colors of the original films but still doesn't have the same feel.