Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have an Aeropress emergency! Please tell me if you have any idea.

I'm in cottage and I've tried to brew three times, and each times the filter has failed. Same beans same grinder as home. I fill the cylinder with coffee and just-not-boiling water, insert the plunger, wait. After a while I hear a slurping sound and the cylinder drains rapidly, emptying a sludge of coffee and grounds into the cup.

What's going on? Are these filters failure-prone with certain waters? I'm stumped here.

Is there a hole in the filter paper? if there is, maybe try using two filter papers at the same time. There could be something sharp on the rim of the aeropress where the papers stick

If there's no hole in the filter paper I'm guessing there's something happening with the screw-on seal, is there any damage or debris near the threading that would stop a steal from forming against the paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You could also try upping the coffee dosage to 17g-20g and see if that helps.

This is what I was going to suggest. The dose looked way too low in the basket, it was well below the little dimpled ring. I think my Silvia has the same size basket and I dose 18-19g, I've experimented up and down a few grams and that gives consistently the best results.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Looks like the Niche Zero is available again, shipping for March. Seems like for our use case (filter + espresso, switching between multiple coffees a day since the wife drinks decaf and flavored coffees sometimes) it's probably the best option? Otherwise it seems like we should be purging between every cup, which seems like wasting a lot of coffee since that'd be happening multiple times a day. Also seems like it's really well reviewed, just not sure how well it holds up long term.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Chu020 posted:

Looks like the Niche Zero is available again, shipping for March. Seems like for our use case (filter + espresso, switching between multiple coffees a day since the wife drinks decaf and flavored coffees sometimes) it's probably the best option? Otherwise it seems like we should be purging between every cup, which seems like wasting a lot of coffee since that'd be happening multiple times a day. Also seems like it's really well reviewed, just not sure how well it holds up long term.

I have had mine for a few months, and I'm very happy with it. I use it for both V60 pour-overs and espresso. The only purging I do is when I go from grinding filter to an espresso grind, and even then I usually only run a small handful of beans through it, literally about 5 beans. The grind quality was a massive step up from my Baratza Virtuoso+ and my Eureka Mignon Specialita that I used for espresso.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have an Aeropress emergency! Please tell me if you have any idea.

I'm in cottage and I've tried to brew three times, and each times the filter has failed. Same beans same grinder as home. I fill the cylinder with coffee and just-not-boiling water, insert the plunger, wait. After a while I hear a slurping sound and the cylinder drains rapidly, emptying a sludge of coffee and grounds into the cup.

What's going on? Are these filters failure-prone with certain waters? I'm stumped here.

My guess is as the brew water cools, pressure drops and shifts the filter out of place. It could be because the altitude is different at your cabin or the ambient temp is cooler than at home and the brew is cooling faster than you’re used to. You could try an inverted brew or put the plunger on a little later and see if that fixes it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

how does bottomless free bag credit work because the second bag I got still got billed to me

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hypnophant posted:

My guess is as the brew water cools, pressure drops and shifts the filter out of place. It could be because the altitude is different at your cabin or the ambient temp is cooler than at home and the brew is cooling faster than you’re used to. You could try an inverted brew or put the plunger on a little later and see if that fixes it

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Is there a hole in the filter paper? if there is, maybe try using two filter papers at the same time. There could be something sharp on the rim of the aeropress where the papers stick

If there's no hole in the filter paper I'm guessing there's something happening with the screw-on seal, is there any damage or debris near the threading that would stop a steal from forming against the paper?

I was thinking about this too but at first thought it to be implausible, but the longer I think about it the more plausible it becomes.

We're at sea level and the heating is good so that won't be it. But the water with which I rinse the cup, which is metal, and the Aeropress is ice cold. So if that first time the filter tray was only loosely mounted I could see how rapid temperature changes could maybe shift the filter tray a little, causing a gap. Before every attempt I rinse everything with ice cold water again and the cycle repeats comically. Eventually I was able to get a cup but I feel like a big fat idiot.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Futaba Anzu posted:

how does bottomless free bag credit work because the second bag I got still got billed to me
What does your account show under free bag? It's possible you missed the cutoff for this shipment and the next will be free.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bizwank posted:

What does your account show under free bag? It's possible you missed the cutoff for this shipment and the next will be free.

it just shows this when i navigate to the free bag tab

i guess as a further note i manually triggered the second bag after about a month actually since I was going through some other beans from another service. I'd turned off automatic functions and haven't set up the scale for that poo poo either, is that the problem?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Futaba Anzu posted:

it just shows this when i navigate to the free bag tab

i guess as a further note i manually triggered the second bag after about a month actually since I was going through some other beans from another service. I'd turned off automatic functions and haven't set up the scale for that poo poo either, is that the problem?
No idea, but I'm on my 6th free bag and didn't have to do anything special to make them ship. If you're really worried I'd just email them, they're pretty easy to work with.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bizwank posted:

No idea, but I'm on my 6th free bag and didn't have to do anything special to make them ship. If you're really worried I'd just email them, they're pretty easy to work with.

it was because free bag only triggers off automatic reorders from the scale, tCHH

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Whats a good ratio of water/vinegar to clean sediment off a kettle?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ded posted:

Whats a good ratio of water/vinegar to clean sediment off a kettle?

If you're descaling a kettle, 50/50 vinegar and water, boil and let it soak for 10-20 mins. I normally use about a tablespoon of citric acid to 1L of water for 10 mins but just cause I have it on hand

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Magic erasers/melamine sponges also handle that stuff easily.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

I was thinking about this too but at first thought it to be implausible, but the longer I think about it the more plausible it becomes.

We're at sea level and the heating is good so that won't be it. But the water with which I rinse the cup, which is metal, and the Aeropress is ice cold. So if that first time the filter tray was only loosely mounted I could see how rapid temperature changes could maybe shift the filter tray a little, causing a gap. Before every attempt I rinse everything with ice cold water again and the cycle repeats comically. Eventually I was able to get a cup but I feel like a big fat idiot.

Yeah, using some hot water to 'prewarm' the Aeropress (and wet the filter) would probably help there. Or get a Prismo so you never have to worry about premature leakage 🙃

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
hello coffee goons. right now i'm drinking terrible espressos out of a breville cafe roma cheapo machine and i'm grinding using a 15 dollar walmart blade grinder. what's the goon consensus best cheap/midrange espresso grinder and machine? i'll probably buy the grinder first and maybe upgrade the machine later in the year. also whats this about taking a dremel to the double wall basket?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

kalvanoo posted:

hello coffee goons. right now i'm drinking terrible espressos out of a breville cafe roma cheapo machine and i'm grinding using a 15 dollar walmart blade grinder. what's the goon consensus best cheap/midrange espresso grinder and machine? i'll probably buy the grinder first and maybe upgrade the machine later in the year. also whats this about taking a dremel to the double wall basket?

what's your budget

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Yeah, using some hot water to 'prewarm' the Aeropress (and wet the filter) would probably help there. Or get a Prismo so you never have to worry about premature leakage 🙃

I've been preparing cup and press during the last days and never had an issue again. I hadn't expected a bunch of plastic parts being susceptible to expand and contract was temperature but apparently they are, lesson learned.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

aldantefax posted:

what's your budget

im in canada so the prices might be weird here, but the baratza vario at around 700 cad is about as high as i'd wanna go (unless there's a good reason to go higher).

as for the machine i'm open to suggestions i guess

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
https://cafune.ca/products/baratza-sette-270wi

Little higher than the vario but I believe the burrs and micro-step adjustment are pretty good. You likely can get a good one with a discount and get a refurb set of burrs from Baratza if you find the ones that you bought with it are crap.

Also in this price point is a Eureka. https://www.creativecoffee.ca/Eureka-b1099/ Solid workhorse, significantly quieter than the Sette. The 270 spins up like a motherfucker.

Anything comparable to those two that works for that budget should be good. Sette is on the higher range, Eureka has price points for different ones. The Vario is also not that bad a choice. If you're single dosing and not super picky then you should be in pretty good shape.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have the vario, which is a decent compromise if you need to have it handle both drip and espresso duties. It's kind of a pain the rear end to switch it unless you dose the hopper every time though.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
you could always get a hand grinder and save a boatload of money, if you're willing to put in the effort every time you use it. I have heard the LIDO 3 and Comandante grinders are very good for both pour-over and espresso, with the added bonus of being half the price of the Vario in the US

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I imagine that dialling-in an espresso with a hand grinder loving sucks.

Edit: I have owned/used a Eureka Mignon Specialita, and it was very good. Used it for both filter and espresso.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Dialing in espresso with a high quality hand grinder is fine

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It really depends on how many shots you're pulling. If you're doing your normal double for a latte and that's all you do in a day, then a hand grinder is indeed a great idea. However, if you are going to make multiple shots in a row because you're trying to dial in or you're just fiddling with your method, expect to do a lot of grinding, which means maybe an extra bit of time cranking it.

There are actually a pretty decent amount of hand grinders that can do consistent fine grinds but you will definitely need to step up from the Porlex. Hoffmann does a video on the super high end hand grinders and they're all expensive, and most are out of stock, so shop carefully.

Eureka and Baratza pretty much always have stock of their higher end models.

Also, one of the best things I can recommend is to talk to a local espresso roaster or coffee tech and see if they have any recommendations for you, then go with that. Regardless of the recommendations here, someone who is elbow deep in espresso is almost certainly going to give you recommendations that work based on what they use in their shop and have tested their roasts with that fits your budget. It also means if you run into a mechanical failure or some kind of weird thing with your grinder, you can ask someone local that you already have a connection with. Lastly, support your local roasters!!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Grinding coffee by hand every morning sucks though. Also, if you ever have someone over to visit, “yeah, just give me a few minutes to grind you some beans for coffee hurf durf”

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Frank Dillinger posted:

Grinding coffee by hand every morning sucks though. Also, if you ever have someone over to visit, “yeah, just give me a few minutes to grind you some beans for coffee hurf durf”

I dunno, I grind by hand every morning and I don’t mind it. With a good grinder it will go a lot quicker than with a Porlex or Hario and I can do 30 grams for a 500 mL brew which is fine for two people in a lot less time than it takes the water to boil. Plus it takes up less counter space, is very quiet, doesn’t need to be plugged in if you have limited outlets, and will usually outperform an electric grinder of the same price.

But, it’s definitely somewhat subjective and just because it works for me doesn’t mean it works for everybody.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
As someone who has done both it is fine and it keeps your hands doing something while you're waiting for fresh water to boil, and if you do it in the break room at work nobody questions you as to what you're doing because you can grind loudly at them

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, i've got an electric grinder for when i do bigger batches of coffee but i use my hand grinder daily and it's no problem at all. if you're just grinding coffee for a couple people/shots they're perfectly fine.

if you're frequently changing beans/roasts i could see it being a pain, but i stick to a couple that i know and they're pretty consistent so it hasn't been a problem for me

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 3, 2021

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
1zpresso JX-PRO is $160, is stepped fine enough to adjust for espresso, and takes around 40 seconds to grind 18g.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Well yeah, but you're gonna have to be more specific, that's the whole point :rimshot:

I've enjoyed hand grinding every morning, but with upcoming changes to my work schedule, having a Baratza Encore is definitely going to help. Even though the grinding itself doesn't take terribly long, knowing I'll have to pause whatever else I'm doing at a specific time definitely limits things.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have a ROK grinder. A dose grinds faster than the water brews. But occasionally I would just like to let a machine grind for me while I rummage around in the kitchen. But that desire isn't really worth spending hundreds of bucks I feel.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I recently discovered another important aspect to improving my pour-over technique that's both easy to replicate and makes a large difference in flavour: pour height.

It's mentioned in the most recent Scott Rao pour-over video.

Basically, you want the kettle to be as high as possible, without being high enough that it creates the "splashing noise" when the water hits the slurry. You can see a demonstration of what I mean at the 3:43 mark in the video.

Since paying attention to this variable, my coffee has improved noticeably. There was a research paper mentioned in one of the comments on the video that went into exhaustive detail about the physics of exactly why this is important, but YouTube has helpfully eaten that comment, and I haven't been able to google for it. Hope this information helps some of you improve your coffee!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

I recently discovered another important aspect to improving my pour-over technique that's both easy to replicate and makes a large difference in flavour: pour height.

Basically, you want the kettle to be as high as possible, without being high enough that it creates the "splashing noise" when the water hits the slurry. You can see a demonstration of what I mean at the 3:43 mark in the video.

Since paying attention to this variable, my coffee has improved noticeably. There was a research paper mentioned in one of the comments on the video that went into exhaustive detail about the physics of exactly why this is important, but YouTube has helpfully eaten that comment, and I haven't been able to google for it. Hope this information helps some of you improve your coffee!

Wild, I was actually wondering about this the other day. Thanks for the info! I got a coffee from a local roaster that has this really profound note of raisins. I've been having trouble replicating it at home so any technique adjustments help.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 4, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

The Postman posted:

Wild, I was actually wondering about this the other day. Thanks for the info! I got a coffee from a local roaster that has this really profound note of raisins. I've been having trouble replicating it at home so any technique adjustments help.

75 percent chance it's their water not your technique. Still worth fiddling with the technique variables though just to make sure!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

75 percent chance it's their water not your technique. Still worth fiddling with the technique variables though just to make sure!

Should I just ask them if they do anything special with their water? I've been using third wave water and noticed a general improvement with my cups, but I'm still nowhere near the intense raisin flavor they brought out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just ordered an m2 burr and a refurb baratza encore, I'm super stoked after 2 years of using a capresso infinity that was "good enough" when I was using an aeropress but that really started to show its faults once I switched to doing pourovers.

I'm hoping and praying that the "vise grip the burr and bop it" technique works for me because I am very lazy and don't want to take apart the grinder.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

The Postman posted:

Should I just ask them if they do anything special with their water? I've been using third wave water and noticed a general improvement with my cups, but I'm still nowhere near the intense raisin flavor they brought out.

Even better - ask them for some. Bring an empty distilled water jug I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RichterIX posted:

I just ordered an m2 burr and a refurb baratza encore, I'm super stoked after 2 years of using a capresso infinity that was "good enough" when I was using an aeropress but that really started to show its faults once I switched to doing pourovers.

I'm hoping and praying that the "vise grip the burr and bop it" technique works for me because I am very lazy and don't want to take apart the grinder.

They're very easy to take apart. First time separating the housing from the body is probably the most frustrating. A vise grip sounds like a real dumb move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gunder posted:

Tried this out this morning, and got maybe the nicest cup of coffee I've ever made at home. I was trying to get the most out of these beans and I've finally managed to get all that peach to come through cleanly.