Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In the US in my experience, it's more likely that your company didn't follow any kind of standard, so doing the translation is more common. Line maybe guy don't even have a senior level, or they call everyone "computer operators" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
how can i indicate that the most recent position is a promotion without having to reformat the entire fuckin thing?

edit: accidentally doxxed myself lol here's a censored version

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 27, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

w4ddl3d33 posted:

how can i indicate that the most recent position is a promotion without having to reformat the entire fuckin thing?

Not to be lovely, but you might want to reformat it anyway? You're not following some fundamental rules of resumes such as Action Words (Maintained blah blah, etc). I don't know if the country your from is different, but I've never seen it said to be different in that way in the English speaking world.

The redaction makes it slightly hard to understand what you're doing here, but I think that you're saying the Hardware Technician and the Retail and Cafe Associate are for the same company and this is an internal promotion? In that case, I think it's best to put the top level as the company and not the position and then have them be subheadings underneath it.

It's hard to show formatting on the forums, but here is an approximation of how you could choose to organize it:

WORK EXPERIENCE
Corporation Incorporated
Hardware Technician (Jan 24 - Present)
blah blah blah

Retail and Cafe Associate (May 23 - Jan 24)
blah blah blah

Other Place
Sales Assistant (Nov 22 - May 23)
blah blah blah

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Get rid of the sales associate job you did for 6 months 5 years ago.

Cut down on the half page of mostly irrelevant volunteer experience, at the very least you don't need that much detail. That will give you lots of room.

You probably need to start fresh anyway, this resume is kinda a jumble of stuff. You need you skills up top as your language skills are your most impressive thing and you have it kinda buried.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The UK uses CVs rather than resumes so the rules are rather different, such as two pages being standard rather than one and including every job ever unless it'd take you over two pages. This reads like someone having a bad time in university and wanting to skip graduation though, so there's a contradiction between the aspirations of academia and the suspended degree course.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah going to 2 pages would also be fine, though again I think taking time to maybe start fresh is a good idea.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

If I've got a period of time where I stopped working in IT and took unrelated jobs while I attended school and took care of sick relatives, should I list the odd jobs I had during that period or just replace everything from that period with an entry about attending school and being a caregiver?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

If I've got a period of time where I stopped working in IT and took unrelated jobs while I attended school and took care of sick relatives, should I list the odd jobs I had during that period or just replace everything from that period with an entry about attending school and being a caregiver?

I'd have an entry about attending school and being a caregiver while working odd jobs (specific information available upon request).

Completing said education would help too, I am skeptical when I see "Stopped working to further education" that is then not actually done.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Lockback posted:

I'd have an entry about attending school and being a caregiver while working odd jobs (specific information available upon request).

Completing said education would help too, I am skeptical when I see "Stopped working to further education" that is then not actually done.

I didn't finish, but I did well while I had the opportunity. I stopped working primarily to care for my grandmother, and had the opportunity to attend a junior college, where I made straight A's but never had a formal lesson plan and was only able to do two semesters before my grandmother died and I had to move away and go back to work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Heard the most amazing interview response on why they want the job. It was in ASIC (chip) design and the guy said “right now I’m working on the architecture group and I wanted to go into design so I can take it easy”

Lmao

And they still hired him :stare:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

Heard the most amazing interview response on why they want the job. It was in ASIC (chip) design and the guy said “right now I’m working on the architecture group and I wanted to go into design so I can take it easy”

Lmao

And they still hired him :stare:

Said humorously or unabashedly?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Said humorously or unabashedly?

It didn’t sound like it was humorously but I wasn’t there and that is a pretty risky thing to say to people who are designers, laff. There’s definitely room for humour in interviews buuuut..

Apparently the guy came off as just saying how easy design was and how there’s not much to it etc.

Company is in a bit of a hiring frenzy now so any warm bodies seem to get offers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

It didn’t sound like it was humorously but I wasn’t there and that is a pretty risky thing to say to people who are designers, laff. There’s definitely room for humour in interviews buuuut..

Apparently the guy came off as just saying how easy design was and how there’s not much to it etc.

Company is in a bit of a hiring frenzy now so any warm bodies seem to get offers.

Yea ASIC designer with a few years experience seems like a difficult hire I can’t imagine there were 5 others to choose from that round.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea ASIC designer with a few years experience seems like a difficult hire I can’t imagine there were 5 others to choose from that round.

I hear from my friend in the group that hired him (my friend was not involved in the hiring process) that his skills were greatly exaggerated despite having the time in industry. Just a bit of a dud in the end. Sacrificial goat in layoff times, best case scenario :haw:

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Arquinsiel posted:

This reads like someone having a bad time in university and wanting to skip graduation though, so there's a contradiction between the aspirations of academia and the suspended degree course.

the university i've suspended my studies at doesn't have an accreditation system and the country i'm going to university in now has you reapply each semester, so i've not been able to go for a formal transfer and it's therefore not listed on my cv. unsure where you got your outlook from, i'd find it helpful if you could let me know so i can correct it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

w4ddl3d33 posted:

the university i've suspended my studies at doesn't have an accreditation system and the country i'm going to university in now has you reapply each semester, so i've not been able to go for a formal transfer and it's therefore not listed on my cv. unsure where you got your outlook from, i'd find it helpful if you could let me know so i can correct it
I don't know what the specifics of what you're up to and why, so "aspiring academic" in the bio and "studies suspended" doesn't scream "success" to me. Probably won't with whatever HR person you're getting it in front of either.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
unfortunately i am not a success story, but there's a lot of context i don't exactly know how to communicate on a resume/cv. the course above my suspended course is with a university, it was a foundation semester that qualifies me for my future semesters, which i have to apply for as they come, and the first of which i have yet to hear back for. obviously there's no way of listing all that down but there's gotta be a better way of wording it, even if it is just removing the headline altogether.

i work for a company that's based in north america with divisions in the uk and in germany and austria so all of my education is relevant, including the suspended course - you'll note i've done captioning work, this includes english-french translation

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I guess the problem is "aspiring academic" then. Why are you telling the companies that you work for that the second you get a job in academia you're gone?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think it also depends a lot on what kind of jobs your looking for too.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Arquinsiel posted:

I guess the problem is "aspiring academic" then. Why are you telling the companies that you work for that the second you get a job in academia you're gone?

This is why I cut the "objective" or "summary" poo poo. You could look great on paper but if your summary indicates something HR thinks is off from the ideal you go straight to the shredder.

If you put "Computer Toucher in software development / architecture / backend / full stack / internal tooling / ML roles" it looks like you don't have a clear path, and if you put "Computer Toucher specializing in COBOL mainframery", you could get passed up if HR knows they need a Python person or whatever (even if you would/could take that role). You could miss our on adjacent jobs as well — I got my current job via a hand-off to another team before the listing even existed and it was a higher/better role than I originally applied for.

Summary/objective is neutral at best, and will prevent a callback at worse. It's all downside.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

This is why I cut the "objective" or "summary" poo poo. You could look great on paper but if your summary indicates something HR thinks is off from the ideal you go straight to the shredder.

If you put "Computer Toucher in software development / architecture / backend / full stack / internal tooling / ML roles" it looks like you don't have a clear path, and if you put "Computer Toucher specializing in COBOL mainframery", you could get passed up if HR knows they need a Python person or whatever (even if you would/could take that role). You could miss our on adjacent jobs as well — I got my current job via a hand-off to another team before the listing even existed and it was a higher/better role than I originally applied for.

Summary/objective is neutral at best, and will prevent a callback at worse. It's all downside.

This isn't quite true. When I am looking at resumes I'm going to look at the whole thing. I would tend to agree a summary is probably mostly neutral but the idea of a resume is to tell a story and depending on your background a section up top can help set that thread. You use a developer example, but realize that is on one side of the spectrum of relying on specific experiences and more-or-less cut and dry criteria, not every job is like that (and I'd say most jobs aren't like that).

In those cases "You don't have a clear path" doesn't apply and broad experience can be a plus. But you may need to give some context before listing experience and skills. Typically I think this can be useful for people earlier in their career who want to highlight some of those more subtle experiences to stand out, and in some jobs (soft skills jobs like HR in particular) I think humanizing a resume can help stand out. Many jobs or for people with more experience it's probably not helpful.

As usual, there are very few hard and fast rules and context and job type should be strongly considered. That's a big reason why so many of us say "Post it" and ask for examples of jobs applied to to understand the full context.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I'm curious about suggestions for how to frame my recent-ish job history on my resume:

I worked 10+ years in one place and then switched careers in January 2022. The new job is working for a private sector company that manages contractors for a federal agency - I am a contractor hired to work in the federal office on their contract. The contracts have 5-year duration before required re-competes. I was hired in the last 9 months of the company's contract, and then they lost the re-compete to a different company. As is tradition, contractors like myself moved over to the new company and maintained our jobs roughly as-is in the federal office for the next 5-year cycle. In-effect, my job didn't change but the company I worked for does.

Full disclosure on my resume for this square-dance between the feds and private contractor companies makes it look like I job-hopped after 9 months, which I don't think I did. I've been asked about it in subsequent job interviews and had to spend a thousand words describing the 5-year contract system. So I presume I've also hit walls on other job applications that never made it to an interview because they see a job-hop in less than a year and automatically balk.

I'm curious if there's a better way to present this on my resume. It's effectively one job, for one client, managed by two sequential companies. Is there an accepted way to show that on a resume?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I had one of these early in my career in the same federal/private scenario. I listed it as one job (the just recent employer) and just had a note saying "position was under xyz from mmyy-mmyy".

You are correct, don't make it look like a job hop if you don't need to.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Looking for some opinions.

I have multiple start and stop dates from my second bout of college. I worked full time to avoid the burden of more student loans, so funding was an issue at times. My work schedule plus necessary pre-requisite classes fudged things up a bit. I also failed an entire semester due to family issues. While I was technically enrolled, I had to retake those classes. And then, of course, Covid happened.

It looks something like this:

Spring 2016 - Fall 2019 (withdrew at start of COVID as no remote options or protocols were in place..)
Fall 2020 to Spring 2021
Spring 2022 being my last semester.

Listing all the stops looks ridiculous. "2016-2022" looks cleaner but I'm not sure if 6 years pursuit of a BASc for Information Security is appealing either. Is simply putting the graduation date an option?

Secondly, I have a bachelors in animation. The problem here is that I went to one of those fly-by-night schools that faced lawsuits and eventually shut down. After I graduated, our particular school was caught up in a scandal that the local news and police uncovered. Should I even list this degree? Our program was very lucky as we had actual industry people for adjunct professors. Though, most of them no longer list it on their LinkedIn. I have freelance experience as a video editor and illustrator since then, so I'm not even sure it matters.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'd just write your graduation date, that's what I do with a more substantial gap than that and it's worked just fine.

I guess maybe there's an argument if you're trying to make it clear why there's employment gaps, but I think if you're largely applying for new grad roles I don't think that's an issue.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1. Just put the graduation date. If you're asked "I was attending part time at times while working" is a perfectly reasonable answer.

2. This one is maybe more opinions. I would include the shady, older degree. I think seeing multiple degrees on someone's resume isn't a bad thing and it helps explain the "What were you doing before" question. I doubt anyone will blame you personally for the shady schooling, and you have another degree that proves you're capable of achieving a bachelors. If it's more of a distraction you can of course leave it off. So kinda depends on it all looks and having the extra "I'm a smart person who can do mulitple things" is worth the double take when people see "University of American Samoa Law College" or w/e.

Eventually you probably drop the older degree entirely, but if you're early in your career it can be a nice little nugget to stand out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Grad date only and even if you put 6 years it doesn’t matter much if you also have work during that time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

Looking for some opinions.

I have multiple start and stop dates from my second bout of college. I worked full time to avoid the burden of more student loans, so funding was an issue at times. My work schedule plus necessary pre-requisite classes fudged things up a bit. I also failed an entire semester due to family issues. While I was technically enrolled, I had to retake those classes. And then, of course, Covid happened.

It looks something like this:

Spring 2016 - Fall 2019 (withdrew at start of COVID as no remote options or protocols were in place..)
Fall 2020 to Spring 2021
Spring 2022 being my last semester.

Listing all the stops looks ridiculous. "2016-2022" looks cleaner but I'm not sure if 6 years pursuit of a BASc for Information Security is appealing either. Is simply putting the graduation date an option?

Secondly, I have a bachelors in animation. The problem here is that I went to one of those fly-by-night schools that faced lawsuits and eventually shut down. After I graduated, our particular school was caught up in a scandal that the local news and police uncovered. Should I even list this degree? Our program was very lucky as we had actual industry people for adjunct professors. Though, most of them no longer list it on their LinkedIn. I have freelance experience as a video editor and illustrator since then, so I'm not even sure it matters.

BASc Information Security ->-> May 2022
Reputible College

BFA Animation ->-> July 2012
Disreputible College

Agree with Lockback in general depending on just how bad the reputation of the animation school is. If it was killed by a scandal that doesn't really reflect on the people who chose to go there, include it. If its a scandal in which you knew or reasonably should have known that the education was part of a sham (e.g. a scam to get Visa) then I'd err on the side of leaving it off. The questions is how does it reflect on your character to have attended there?

I have a friend that worked at Theranos for multiple years and I dont suggest they leave that off because they were an IC at a huge company.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I was recently promoted internally and moved business units. The new unit is worse than I imagined. It's been 2 months, and Christmas was 1/4 of that. I'd like to start applying elsewhere. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I'm inclined to put it on the resume, then brainstorm a good way to frame it. Possible (and true) answers:

1. I want fully remote
2. Major personal life change warranting moving
3. Significant changes in responsibilities vs. job posting

My plan was to start applying after 2 years, but I've been reducing that number. That number is now 0, ideally.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you need to explain the business unit move? What about just "this is a more interesting role"?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Lockback posted:

Do you need to explain the business unit move? What about just "this is a more interesting role"?

I can take that view. It would be more interesting.

I just figured a two month stint would raise questions.

Also don't want to be the guy that'll leave in two months because they are something slightly more interesting?

I can definitely start there and let them dig.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Leaving right after a promotion isn't ideal but the hiring manager likely won't care. Is the new business unit a totally different job? If not, it's not really important. I'd focus more on moving forward. "I am interesting in new opportunities" is better than the 3 things you listed, which can be somewhat red flags.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

CarForumPoster posted:

I have a friend that worked at Theranos for multiple years and I dont suggest they leave that off because they were an IC at a huge company.

Side note: that would make an amazing thread if they ever wanted to share :eyepop:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The job market in tech is so bad that I'm getting 5 recruiters contacting me for the same job each time a new job is posted. They will also try to get me to work through them even if I tell them I already applied directly myself, or that another recruiter sent in my application. I am also seeing jobs get listed and re-listed. I submitted my resume for them and never got a call. I also noticed a job posting said it was for company x and "reports to manager <name>" which I thought was strange and wondered why it was on the job listing. That's for a remote international job with the HQ in Dubai.

Then I saw a job ad for a job I applied for a month ago and got no call for... And it mentioned the same thing "reporting to manager <same name as before>", but a local company, not international or based in Dubai. Are many of the job postings, just weird scams?

redreader fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 30, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes companies post a job they have no intention of filling just to placate their overloaded teams.

“The job has been posted. We have several promising candidates identified.” (repeat as needed)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

sometimes a job posting will pop up because they have someone on the track to be hired usually through a referral and had to create a req in a hurry and then it will disappear.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

priznat posted:

sometimes a job posting will pop up because they have someone on the track to be hired usually through a referral and had to create a req in a hurry and then it will disappear.

I usually ignore job postings with very short periods in which to submit a resume, because I assume they are a performative gesture and they have an inside candidate who is already vetted for the role.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I usually ignore job postings with very short periods in which to submit a resume, because I assume they are a performative gesture and they have an inside candidate who is already vetted for the role.

Another tell is when the requirements are unusually specific. It often means they're basically just the already-selected candidate's resume. That way the company can claim with a straight face if challenged "we hired the most qualified candidate".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You need to prove you can't fill a specific role before you can get a H1B so having a failed job posting is literally a prerequisite. That's somewhere in the list of 1000s of problems with our immigration process in this country,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Hey Resume thread!! First of all, holy poo poo, thank you for your advice, my resume is looking much better!!

I have an informational interview at a AA game studio at some point in the near future and I'm wondering what to expect - one of my friends passed my resume along to their recruitment department and their senior recruitment head wants to have a chat with me, which probably bodes well, but I'm not sure what an informational interview entails (is it kind of like a phone screen, or ??)