Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Huh, I did not know that. I always kind of assumed it was money laundering tbh...

probably also that yeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Steakandchips posted:

Why does your flat not have it's own washing machine?

Do they actually monitor people for using powder?

Use whatever you want, IMO.
If they're using HE machines, they've probably had dumbasses not adjusting the amount of powder and flooding the room with suds(and maybe even damaging the machine if they were extra unlucky).

Most liquid detergents are HE friendly now, but powdered detergents are more of a gamble.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I had to look up what a HE washing machine was as I'd not heard that term before (High Efficiency machines) and it's basically a front loader or a top loader without an agitator.
So much makes sense now about why Americans complain about their clothes falling apart in the wash. Machines with agitators are really rough on your clothes while machines that wash by tumbling are much gentler but are only just getting popular in the US.
But yeah, you needs low sudsing washing detergents in them and you don't need much.
In much of Europe it's common to have your own machine in your house/apartment and it's very likely to be a HE front loader type.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Anecdotally, I'm like 90% sure that front-loaders get your clothes cleaner anyway

Also you can cram them totally full and they'll still wash fine, where a top-loader will just jam and do nothing

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

Anecdotally, I'm like 90% sure that front-loaders get your clothes cleaner anyway

Also you can cram them totally full and they'll still wash fine, where a top-loader will just jam and do nothing

Yeah, but you have to bend down to load them and from what I seem a lot of Americans struggle to do that amount of exercise.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Panfilo posted:

Do they not have laundromats in Canada? How dreadful! :ohdear:

I was just being cheap and lazy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Powder laundry soap can also clump up and get all gross inside the machine, so that probably is part of the decision fyi.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Helith posted:

I had to look up what a HE washing machine was as I'd not heard that term before (High Efficiency machines) and it's basically a front loader or a top loader without an agitator.
So much makes sense now about why Americans complain about their clothes falling apart in the wash. Machines with agitators are really rough on your clothes while machines that wash by tumbling are much gentler but are only just getting popular in the US.
But yeah, you needs low sudsing washing detergents in them and you don't need much.
In much of Europe it's common to have your own machine in your house/apartment and it's very likely to be a HE front loader type.

I didn't realize top-loaders were still a thing. Do people really still use them? Don't they use like twice as much water?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I only realised that top loaders were still a thing when I moved to Australia from the UK and our first flat here had one. I had to google how to use it because I’d never even seen one before. Australia is about 50/50 on top loader vs front loader use and America is mainly top loader. I got a front loader as soon as we moved to our new place.
Top loaders are awkward to use because you have to balance the load and the agitator takes up so much space, it was hard to wash big bulky items and they really are rough on your clothes and stuff would be all tangled together.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lifehack# they make top loaders without agitators get one I guess?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Lone Badger posted:

I didn't realize top-loaders were still a thing. Do people really still use them? Don't they use like twice as much water?
American apartments tend to, presumably because they're cheaper(and the same ones have probably been sitting there since the building was built) and most landlords are skinflints.

Some homeowners still use top loaders, but most of the people I know who own have front-loaders because they're better in basically every way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

We just bought a new top loader in the year 2017, so yes they are still a thing. It's HE and doesn't have an agitator.

We got repeatedly burnt on our old front loader and decided gently caress it, go back to a time-tested design.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Jan 19, 2018

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I got my nice top-loading washing machine for like $200 (admittedly used, but in good shape). It cleans stuff fine. A new front-loading washer was pushing a thousand bucks, last time I looked, because what few choices we have are aimed more at the upper end of the market.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the top loaders at our apartment are tiny and suck rear end, the one my parents have is huge and i can't reach the bottom easily :mad:

also everyone else in this building loving overloads them and the laundry room floods like on a weekly basis

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My top loader came with my apartment, so I'm not complaining.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah front-loaders are very much a high-end thing in Aus. I have one, and it's up on a bench I had built for the purpose because I assumed it would vibrate a bunch. It doesn't, you could probably balance a 50 cent piece on it while it's running. I assume the builder I got in knew this and just overbuilt the bench anyway.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

The apartment building I live in has them. They're decently sized and get my clothing clean so I can't really complain.

But yeah they use more water. In some places that isn't a huge issue but it matters a lot in, say, California.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

Yeah front-loaders are very much a high-end thing in Aus.
No they aren't. The majority of new washing machines for sale are front loaders and the prices are pretty much the same whether you go for front or top loader.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboRodent posted:

Because this building doesn't have that and I don't think that's unusual at all? Because it's a one-room apartment and as nice as it is, there's only so much space? Jesus, what a weird thing to nitpick.

And there's a security camera in the laundry room so presumably if you damage the machine with improper soap usage, they'll track you down.

I figured it as a result of some people being really hilariously stupid with the machines and breaking them at some point.

And I think front-loaders USED to be a high-end thing in Aus, but in the last decade or two they suddenly became way more available and affordable.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah front-loaders are very much a high-end thing in Aus.

All the $2000+ washers are front loaders. But for regular brands they're pretty much the same price point as the top loaders for a given capacity. It's not like it was 20 years ago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

No they aren't. The majority of new washing machines for sale are front loaders and the prices are pretty much the same whether you go for front or top loader.

Well it's been a bunch of years since I got mine, maybe the market has changed :shrug:

Memento has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Jan 19, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got a top loader because all the front loaders available were too wide for my apartment

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Krispy Wafer posted:

We just bought a new top loader in the year 2017, so yes they are still a thing. It's HE and doesn't have an agitator.

We got repeatedly burnt on our old front loader and decided gently caress it, go back to a time-tested design.

I hope you didn't get a Samsung - ours had the motor burn out and start smoking and there have been multiple house fires started by Samsung machines in Australia and New Zealand.

Replaced it with an LG front loader that is holding up fine and washes much better anyway.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My apartment came with a top loader and I just had to look up what an agitator is to make sure I wasn't unwittingly brutalising my laundry and oh my god what a hilariously dumb design. Mmm yes let me arrange my clothes around this massive gyrating metal screw, I'm sure they won't get battered to poo poo!!!

Why am I not surprised that this is apparently only really a thing in the US

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As the resident laundry guy, I can confirm that front loaders work far better. The thing is, washing machines usually have very long home lives and don't get replaced as often as say, a vacuum, plus it's usually cheaper to repair than to replace still, so I don't see the old top loaders going away any time soon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why would a top loader have worse washing results than a front loaded one?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

In general, encountered "in the wild" they tend to be the older models. Buying a new one, I do not think there is a meaningful difference. The only difference that comes to my mind is that the toploaders tend to take less space to operate and are usually also narrow-bodied, so they can be installed into smaller bathrooms in places like in student housing, or other one-two-bedroom apartments.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Ok I can't speak to the water efficiency standpoint but we have a top loader with agitator and I've never (knock on wood) had my clothes come out destroyed by it or been mystified by this rotating rod in the middle and oh dear how could i possibly place my clothes in here, it's not an exact precise science you just place them around the thing

Though I will say it's been hilarious a few times we have overloaded it or somehow unbalanced it (like maybe 3 times in the 24 years we've lived here) and mid-wash the machine starts making crazy noises and walking across the laundry room floor, just shuffling foward like a zombie while making a sound you can hear literally anywhere in the whole house!!

edit: Thinking about it sometimes we've had bras have problems in the agitator wash but one weird trick discovered by a mom is you can put your bras and anything delicate or prone to getting pulls from a bra clasp into a mesh lingerie washing bag. Also makes them easier to find in the wash later when you're looking for things that hang dry instead of getting put in the washer :)

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Jan 19, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Andrast posted:

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/should-you-get-a-front-or-top-load-washing-machine/

quote:

They’re better at cleaning. Every controlled test shows that front-loaders remove more soils from fabric than top-loaders. Consumer Reports gives an Excellent mark for wash performance to more than 30 front-loaders. Only a single top-loader earns that same mark. At Reviewed.com, front-loaders dominate the rankings as well. At the time of writing, the best top-loader finally appears at number 34 on its list of the best washers.

“All things considered, in our tests, front-load washing machines tend to be better at stain removal and water removal and efficiency than their top-load counterparts,” said Keith Barry, the top appliance editor at Reviewed.com. The test results are indisputable. Reviewed.com and CNET both publish photos of their testing stain strips, and it’s obvious that the strips washed in front-loaders have fewer stains leftover. Most technicians, manufacturers, and retailers say the same thing. “The action of a top-loader just can’t match a front-loader,” said Ofer Hubara, a repair technician and owner of Aviv Service Today in Charleston, South Carolina.

Front-loaders clean better because the wash motion is more effective. Cleaning is a result of chemical action (detergents), thermal action (water temperature), and mechanical action (the movement of the washer), plus time. If you use the best detergent and the ideal water temperature, the washer with the most effective mechanical action will get clothes the cleanest. Front-loaders do it best, because the tumbling motion puts gravity to work, knocking clothes against each other, scrubbing themselves against the abrasive elements in detergent, and against features of the drum or wash tub, all with more energy than the twisting motion of a top-loader can muster.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oh we are talking about top loaders with a vertical spinning axis. I wasn’t even aware that was a thing.

My top loader spins the same way front loaders do.

Like this:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

Oh we are talking about top loaders with a vertical spinning axis. I wasn’t even aware that was a thing.

My top loader spins the same way front loaders do.

Like this:

Yeah, I was also talking about vertically spinning models... Now to think of it, I have never seen a horizontal top loader, at least one with that type of "agitator bar", I actually had to google for an explanation.

Now that I think of it, some industrial carpet washers do that vertical spinning thing but never a consumer model.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I had no idea vertical tumbler top loaders were even a thing. Neat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I had no idea vertical tumbler top loaders were even a thing. Neat.

I’m Finnish so could this be an America vs. Europe thing?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I’m Finnish so could this be an America vs. Europe thing?

The Air BnB I was at a few months ago in Germany had one of those. Confused the poo poo out of me at first.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Der Kyhe posted:

In general, encountered "in the wild" they tend to be the older models. Buying a new one, I do not think there is a meaningful difference. The only difference that comes to my mind is that the toploaders tend to take less space to operate and are usually also narrow-bodied, so they can be installed into smaller bathrooms in places like in student housing, or other one-two-bedroom apartments.

Okay, is it just me who thinks its weird that you have a washing machine in your bathroom? Is this another regional thing, because (in the UK) I assume a washing machine will be going in the kitchen (assuming you dont have a big rear end house with a utility room or something).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Americans think it’s weird to have the washing machine in the kitchen. It’s indeed a regional thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Choco1980 posted:

As the resident laundry guy, I can confirm that front loaders work far better. The thing is, washing machines usually have very long home lives and don't get replaced as often as say, a vacuum, plus it's usually cheaper to repair than to replace still, so I don't see the old top loaders going away any time soon.

:eyepop:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
German reporting: I've never seen a washing machine in any kitchen. Bathroom for apartments, or basement for houses. Also, my last apartment had both (kitchen and bathroom) be tiny, with the former filled to the brim with appliances and shelves anyway, so there was no choice, it's just how things are designed. Also, I got a tiny top-loader as a gift from my in-laws, and that one was perfect because it juuuust fit into the bathroom, and I could, well, load it from the top so there was no swing door to consider. Looked like the picture Andrast posted.

To add even more "well, in OUR country..." anecdotal nonsense nobody cares about: I had never seen a top-loader before and was super baffled by the concept in general. Even the old-rear end washing machines my grandma used to use were front-loaded, and I don't think I ever consciously noticed a top-loader in any electronics store. The front-loaders tend to be more energy and water efficient as the study discussed above shows, and that also goes over quite well in the German market, so I don't think there are many more top-loaders around; the one I got was over 10 years old at that point.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Americans think it’s weird to have the washing machine in the kitchen. It’s indeed a regional thing.
I know several people living in apartments in the US that have the washer/dryer unit in the kitchen. Just depends on the apartment complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Like I said earlier itt, I worked for like, 7 years at a laundromat. You pick up some knowledge with that length of time.