Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

There was also Lola giving Big Mom's vivre card to Nami before Big Mom was ever brought up as a presence.

I'm pretty sure Garp named Kaido and Big Mom after Enies Lobby, which is why everyone guessed that Lola is a daughter of Big Mom almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm pretty sure Garp named Kaido and Big Mom after Enies Lobby, which is why everyone guessed that Lola is a daughter of Big Mom almost immediately.

No, we saw their shadowed faces in that scene (the same bit where Dragon was revealed to be Luffy's father, too), but we didn't learn their names until later (Kaido during Thriller Bark, Big Mom right before the timeskip from Kidd, I think)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the void century is this thread trying to remember anything from before the most recent completed arc

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I'm curious as to how Oda originally envisioned Kaido. It's funny how he used Mihawk's shadow, though, as the generic placeholder for the Seven Warlords when Yosaku originally talked about them and Jimbei allll the way back during the Baratie arc.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm curious as to how Oda originally envisioned Kaido. It's funny how he used Mihawk's shadow, though, as the generic placeholder for the Seven Warlords when Yosaku originally talked about them and Jimbei allll the way back during the Baratie arc.

he looks kinda like the crescent pirates dude galley from romance dawn but with the kaido mustache

also random thought, blackbeard under a crescent moon:

idk, oda just really like the moon......

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Chapter's out

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/870/page/1

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hahaha

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
what an amazing chapter

looks like i was wrong big time unless that last page leads to a fight but i doubt it with bege out now (lets go super tankman luffy)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sanji loves his Dad. :3:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As someone who's also had to confront his hosed up dad, this chapter hit me under the belt.

I'm not crying, you're crying. :smith:

E: Also that finish, hot drat! :eyepop:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 29, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

When Nami said "don't fight Big Mom", I knew exactly how the chapter would end. I love One Piece.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drjuggalo posted:

what an amazing chapter

looks like i was wrong big time unless that last page leads to a fight but i doubt it with bege out now (lets go super tankman luffy)

it's funny you say that because I could totally have seen them actually start running until luffy and sanji went to push back big mom at the end

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
One Piece is loving awesome, you guys. :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's funny you say that because I could totally have seen them actually start running until luffy and sanji went to push back big mom at the end

Yea, I think it was fun that the crew spent the majority of the chapter trying to plan how to get away, only to throw it out the window (literally) in the last page. It nicely reflects the current trend of arguments.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sanji and Luffy can fly too so it's fine.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

RatHat posted:

this loving made me laugh cause both of them learned to fly in the most stupidest ways possible

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EmmyOk posted:

That was pretty shortly before Ace died and Sabo was revealed though. The vivre card Ace gives Luffy in Alabasta takes a couple of hundred chapters to be revealed though.

This isn't really one of those "oda does it again" moments. Just pay off for something introduced way back when.

Oda does it again moments imo are things like Whitebeard's fruit power being hinted at hundreds of chapters before we see it due to his laugh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oda got me good with this chapter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

I forgot all about that. Nami really should have accounted for that glaringly impending wrinkle.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Why I love One Piece:

Everyone else: *spends the entire chapter concocting a plan to escape*

"Luffy, don't fight Big Mom!" "Okay"

Last panel: *Luffy starts fighting Big Mom*

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not gonna lie, the first fanart looks pretty amazing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Luffy and I are on the same page in regards to what to do here.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Lol just noticed the heavily bandaged Big Mom minion on page 4 with a top hat sitting precariously on top of his head lumps.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

This isn't really one of those "oda does it again" moments. Just pay off for something introduced way back when.

Oda does it again moments imo are things like Whitebeard's fruit power being hinted at hundreds of chapters before we see it due to his laugh

Ah true true I had conflated the two ideas in my head rather than thinking Oda had suddenly decided to make that paper important!

Hell yeah this chapter rules, KICK HER rear end!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Good chapter. Hopefully the Germa don't just disappear like a fart in the wind cause I still wanna see Sanji stomp them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Good chapter. Hopefully the Germa don't just disappear like a fart in the wind cause I still wanna see Sanji stomp them.

Sanji doesn't need to stomp on his family to feel like a tough guy, and Judge is showing the proud rear end in a top hat version of gratitude so I think we're past that outside his bros deciding they want one last tussle for old time sakes.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I still wanna see Sanji stomp them.
I feel like the really good panel of Sanji yelling in his dad's face followed with Germa self-sacrificing for the alliance is enough closure. A big part of this chapter was Sanji letting go of his past and moving forward, him going back to beat up the Germa would run antithetical to that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also noticed this small detail: the menacing grin of Big Mom's shadow seen through the flames on the bottom left panel of page 16 is sinister as hell and really cool!

One Piece rules!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 29, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yknow it's something that's been brought up before but one of my favorite minor bits of One Piece are when non-crewmates stick around between multiple arcs Johnny and Yosaku style. Law and the Wano crew are one thing, but I really do still get a kick out of Caesar being forcibly allied with the Straw Hats for nearly 200 chapters by this point. Despite having long since outlived his initial purpose, they keep finding ways to make him useful. You'd almost forget he was the primary antagonist of an arc that, in-universe, was only maybe a couple weeks ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gastino is a great Strawhat crew member, I hope he gets a coin.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There has been a dire lack of Carrot as of late

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

drjuggalo posted:

what an amazing chapter

Veskit posted:

The moment we lost all sense of "stealth" was the moment we knew Big mom would be punched in the face come on guys.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kidcoelacanth posted:

There has been a dire lack of Carrot as of late

She did eat an awful lot of cake. Probably just in a sugar coma.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sanji's leg seems sorta weird here to me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hate-Senpai posted:

Sanji's leg seems sorta weird here to me.

Oda has always drawn Sanji without a pelvis to allow for more varied and fantastical kicking positions.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
For most of this arc I thought that most of big mama's power as a yonkou was from her vast nation and many powerful subordinates, and whilst she was certainly powerful she wasn't personally up there with kaido, shanks and whitebeard. Watching he just murder bege through repeated punches delivered to the face and the whole flashback sequence made me realise that she's actually loving terrifying as a solo combatant. Pretty sure she'd eat the admirals for breakfast.

I shouldn't have been so dismissive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Pretty sure she'd eat the admirals for breakfast.

Well, yeah obviously, but that doesn't tell us much about how good she'd be in an actual fight :v:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I don't think the admirals are slouches in a fight at all. We haven't really seen any of them get really tested in a fight, but have seen flashes of their immense power (like Aokiji freezing Marineford bay or what happened to Punk Hazard as a result of Aokiji and Akainu fighting). I think any one of them could go toe-to-toe with an Emperor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if any one of them could do that, they could just send a couple along with a fleet to take the emperors out one by one

they seemed to be fighting evenly with whitebeard's commanders at the summit war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shoren posted:

I don't think the admirals are slouches in a fight at all. We haven't really seen any of them get really tested in a fight, but have seen flashes of their immense power (like Aokiji freezing Marineford bay or what happened to Punk Hazard as a result of Aokiji and Akainu fighting). I think any one of them could go toe-to-toe with an Emperor.

One million year old near dead Whitebeard effortlessly crushed Akainu