Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I wanna try the painting guy and the beard guy's individual weed strands and compare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zedprime posted:

Went to go find this map hoping commanche had one of the fun literal translations like 'tame elk' but they are one of the most decisive.

Salish people what do you know about horses

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

They don't know anything, clearly. That's why the meaning of horses is still a mystery to them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nessus posted:

I'm much more impressed by "how are the Shawnee riding elk?'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm much more impressed by "how are the Shawnee riding elk?'

They didn't. They just called these new horse things elk because that's the most similar-looking animal they knew about.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

tribbledirigible posted:

Yeah, yeah, got your pricing thinger, but what kind of material are those glasses made of?!

The glasses are Zeiss Z1 F133 protective lenses and I have no loving clue what they are made of.
I'm guessing self confidence and just a few spoonful's of LSD.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They didn't. They just called these new horse things elk because that's the most similar-looking animal they knew about.

Ok but elk as in wapiti or elk as in moose? This is an important question because what if there is a language with one word for both horse and moose, that's awesome

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A large portion of the classic joke/novelty shop repertoire was invented by a man named Soren Sorensen Adams, born in Denmark as Søren Adam Sørensen. As a young man, he worked for a company that made dyes. He noticed that a by-product of the production process was prone to making the workers sneeze. He made his initial fortune selling this derivative under the name Cachoo Sneezing Powder. He also invented stink bombs, itching powder, ice cubes with flies in them, the dribble glass, the spring-loaded snake in a nut can, and the joy buzzer, among other things. When a representative of a rubber company approached him to ask him if he was interested in selling what would later become the whoopee cushion Adams refused, worried that the item would be unsellable because it was too vulgar.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

SerthVarnee posted:

My great granddad was this guy

He proved something that today sounds really loving obvious.
He proved statistically that prices actually ebb and flow due to societal changes, inflation and so forth and NOT as previously assumed "randomly and explosively".
This didn't really catch on at the time though, much to his frustration, because he had written it in Danish which, not being one of the three primary western world languages at the time, meant that he may as well not have bothered writing it in the first place.

His name was Edvard Philip Mackeprang and his dissertation "Pristeorier" (1906) made him the world's first econometrician.

Your family name has its own page on Wikipedia. Well, the Danish edition, which we now know is way ahead of its time. Names on that page include Adolf Mackeprang and Carl Mouritz Clod Mackeprang.

I regret to inform you are a nepo baby even if you don't even know it!

(No but seriously, cool fact)

NFX has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Mar 16, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy posted:

Ok but elk as in wapiti or elk as in moose? This is an important question because what if there is a language with one word for both horse and moose, that's awesome

Wapiti is from the Shawnee language.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

NFX posted:

Your family name has its own page on Wikipedia. Well, the Danish edition, which we now know is way ahead of its time. Names on that page include Adolf Mackenprang and Carl Mourifz Clod Mackenprang.

I regret to inform you are a nepo baby even if you don't even know it!

(No but seriously, cool fact)

Small nitpick, but either you or the wiki folks got a surplus n in the names.

Incidentally this is exactly why my family has yet to encounter a county official, doctor, secretary or clerk who is willing to attempt to spell that name out themselves.

And yes, I do in fact stand out like a sore thumb for not standing out in a chosen field of work.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SerthVarnee posted:

Small nitpick, but either you or the wiki folks got a surplus n in the names.

Incidentally this is exactly why my family has yet to encounter a county official, doctor, secretary or clerk who is willing to attempt to spell that name out themselves.

And yes, I do in fact stand out like a sore thumb for not standing out in a chosen field of work.

looks like it's just the poster because the links are correct

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's on me, apologies :tipshat:

Edit: or my phone, it also tried correcting to Macklemore so it could be worse

NFX has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Mar 16, 2024

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Skios posted:

A large portion of the classic joke/novelty shop repertoire was invented by a man named Soren Sorensen Adams, born in Denmark as Søren Adam Sørensen. As a young man, he worked for a company that made dyes. He noticed that a by-product of the production process was prone to making the workers sneeze. He made his initial fortune selling this derivative under the name Cachoo Sneezing Powder. He also invented stink bombs, itching powder, ice cubes with flies in them, the dribble glass, the spring-loaded snake in a nut can, and the joy buzzer, among other things. When a representative of a rubber company approached him to ask him if he was interested in selling what would later become the whoopee cushion Adams refused, worried that the item would be unsellable because it was too vulgar.

"I need the funniest joke shop gag idea you have... No, that's too funny."

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
About that Dissertation that my great granddad wrote.
He mentioned it was doomed to obscurity due to being written in Danish instead of one of the current three main languages.

I presume English and French are on the list, but which would be the third one? German?
This is 1906 so I doubt it is Spanish and Latin seems a bit outdated for scientists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

German was definitely a common scientific language before, oh, I want to say the mid 1930s?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There were prestigious German chemistry textbooks until the 1980s or so, when everyone switched to English.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nessus posted:

German was definitely a common scientific language before, oh, I want to say the mid 1930s?

Once in college I had to back out of writing a paper on the Teutonic Order and the northern crusades because literally all the sources I could find were in German and my German is poo poo.

It was like being transported back to 1920 when you had to write in German or be irrelevant

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Carbon dioxide posted:

There were prestigious German chemistry textbooks until the 1980s or so, when everyone switched to English.

Yeah, my father had to learn German as part of his chemistry degree in the late 1970s. He said enough papers were published in German to require it.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Yeah, my father had to learn German as part of his chemistry degree in the late 1970s. He said enough papers were published in German to require it.

They were truly dominant in the field for a long time. Organic chemistry especially is replete with all sorts of German names.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Borscht posted:

They were truly dominant in the field for a long time. Organic chemistry especially is replete with all sorts of German names.

Let us just not go too deep into this and we can keep this the “fun” fact thread

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

linguistics too. the only old church slavonic text book (paul diels' Altkirchenslavische Grammatik) i've seen anyone use is written in german.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A lot of linguistics terminology is still German, like Urheimat, Sprachraum, ablaut, umlaut, abstand and ausbau language, etc

There's also "loanword", a word borrowed from a foreign language. "Loanword" itself is not a loanword, but a calque, a verbatim translation of the German Lehnwort.

"Loanword" is a calque and "calque" is a loanword, which I quite like.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

venus de lmao posted:

A lot of linguistics terminology is still German, like Urheimat, Sprachraum, ablaut, umlaut, abstand and ausbau language, etc

There's also "loanword", a word borrowed from a foreign language. "Loanword" itself is not a loanword, but a calque, a verbatim translation of the German Lehnwort.

ban this sick filth

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

venus de lmao posted:

yeah, linguistics rules. Aktionsart!

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I studied Egyptology in university, and did two semesters in the titular country. It should have been easy. My entire family is Egyptian. I've been back and forth many times. My native tongue is Egyptian Arabic. Probably rusty or Americanized but it's there, no problems.

Except whoops, my stupid American rear end at 19 did not yet know that you pretty much need to read German for a lot of books. Here I am, sitting in school bright-eyed and excited, my two languages being the native one and the global master tongue. But the Reich strikes back, again. We are sitting here in Egypt Class in Eskandareyya, Egypt, maybe most or at worst second-most famous city, and I gotta learn German now? Not something cool like hieroglyphs, loving German. Maaaannnnn

soviet elsa has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Mar 18, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Deutsch chill!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In the humanities in any real university they'll just assign you books in French and German and expect people to deal with it, because it's not like the soft sciences (maths, physics, etc.) or pseudosciences (economics, psychology, etc.) and you have to be an actual academic.

English is optional as there's very little worthwhile academic literature in English.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Mar 18, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost, of course.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

it's still true, every ph.d. student had to pass their french and german exams to be even considered for quals at one of my alma maters, and my department required two more on top of that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For some reason, all this reminds me of a fun fact: When Concorde (Or Concord, if you've had a falling-out with De Gaulle) was being designed, a compromise was reached - The French engineers had to learn English, while the British engineers had to learn metric.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

venus de lmao posted:

There's a city in Norway that had so many germans working in the mines that people started to give the streets german name. All the mines were given german names. Even the word for director of the mines was german, "berghauptmann". The first norwegian to become berghauptmann in 1758 even changed his name from Mikkel Hellesen to the more german sounding Michael Heltzen.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Another import title in Norway was in cheese production and related to when production scaled up from just local farm self-serving production for own needs to bigger scales.
You need to employ somebody to just work with the cheese. This was around 1850++. Who knowns about cheese, and are famous for them already at that time? The swiss.
So you employ a Sveitser (lit. "a swiss" in norwegian) to manage your cheese production. The title got mangled to "Sveiser" later.

ref: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveiser_(fj%C3%B8sr%C3%B8kter)

more info here: https://ostelandet.no/ostehistorie/

Both links are sadly in norwegian, but google translate should handle it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Heh, many of the people running the dairies on the estates in Denmark were originally Dutch, so they were called (Gods-)Hollænder as their job title for a long time, even after they were all Danes. Also, a dairy is called a mejeri which comes from Low German Meier = manager, from Latin major (domus).

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of weird influences on language, the Japanese word for the study of western technology and philosophy under the general policy of isolationism established by the Tokugawa shogunate was Rangaku, or Dutch-studies. 'ran' comes from the Japanese word for The Netherlands, Oranda. The Dutch were expected to visit the courts at Edo once a year to give updates on the general state of the world and show new developments in western science and technology. These demonstrations formed the basis for Rangaku.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Carthag Tuek posted:

Heh, many of the people running the dairies on the estates in Denmark were originally Dutch, so they were called (Gods-)Hollænder as their job title for a long time, even after they were all Danes. Also, a dairy is called a mejeri which comes from Low German Meier = manager, from Latin major (domus).

... And then, probably via Swedish, ending up as meijeri in Finnish. Interesting

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You also see it in Lord of the Rings. Eisen is an old german word for iron and gard means fence. So Isengard, where Saruman lives, means Iron Fence.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The old Norse name for Istanbul/Constantinople is Mikligarður or Great (as in large) Fence .Kiev was Kænugarður or Ship Fence.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I lived on a street called Maglegårds Allé for a while, which is the modern Danish equivalent. Tho that was named after a big farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
can "gard" still mean fence in icelandic? the swedish cognate means yard/garden/farmstead nowadays.
neat, did not know the root of Mejeri. Alot of dutch terms also made it in to scandinavian seafaring terminology. hell, even gave the part of the atlantic that separates western sweden and denmark a dutch name (Kattegatt)

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Mar 19, 2024