Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Maluco Marinero posted:

There is a bug where if a unit is knocked unconscious next to a car and is then carried clear, if the car explodes they'll still receive the damage from it no matter where they are. Whenever you're pulling a VIP away from a car, you want to try and pull the fighting away from that car because it can't get a single scratch on it.
That may be what happened, but I don't remember the car he was next to blowing up at any point.

:xcom: :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm having a really hard time deciding if I should get this game. For the first one, I loved the combat encounters, but I found base-building/resource management tedious and unfun. Then I squad wiped over and over on every crysalis mission I came across and eventually quit playing after about 8 hours.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

blue squares posted:

I'm having a really hard time deciding if I should get this game. For the first one, I loved the combat encounters, but I found base-building/resource management tedious and unfun. Then I squad wiped over and over on every crysalis mission I came across and eventually quit playing after about 8 hours.

The noncombat strategy layer of XCOM 2 has a bigger focus than the original, but it's also more forgiving. So if your big problem with it was having to spend any amount of time or effort engaging in that aspect of the game at all, maybe don't get it. If your problem was how difficult it could be and the frustrations inherent in falling behind the curve, maybe give it a shot?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The base building / resource management is far better in XC2 than in its predecessor. Its pretty engaging and none of it feels a waste of time. (except the lab lol)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pun pundit posted:

Do you have a controller plugged in that isn't perfectly calibrated? My xbox360 controller pulls ever so slightly to the left, and it does that in xcom2.

That may be it, though I didn't think it used the controller. Thsnks!

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I keep hearing about a LoS indicator (like, you can see which tiles have line of sight before you go to them) but I'm still not seeing it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's a little icon next to enemy health bars as you mouse over tiles.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

many johnnys posted:

I keep hearing about a LoS indicator (like, you can see which tiles have line of sight before you go to them) but I'm still not seeing it.

Aliens have a little marker, like a bulls-eye in red on them when you hover over a movement square on the map to show who a Unit can shoot at/see from that position if they moved there.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Tom Francis, creator of Gunpoint (which is a pretty cool game) has some suggestions for alleviating the games snowballing difficulty problem: http://www.pentadact.com/2016-02-25-solving-xcoms-snowball-problem/

I particularly like the low profile missions idea, it makes some thematic sense. Someone could mod that in somehow in the future.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Please make Frank's mask from Donnie Darko.

I'm surprised he hasn't done the Bioshock Splicer party masks yet.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Apparently, if you kill an andromedon with Face-Off, the animation for it's death and re-animation can cause Face-Off to cancel, leaving your gunslinger hella flanked by the dudes he was supposed to have easily murdered.

Eat poo poo, Jake.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

blue squares posted:

I found the base building to be a bit weird at first but was able to figure out what to do pretty quickly. You can't screw yourself with the base building like you could in EU/EW since there isn't any necessary adjacency bonuses, just build the things you need when you've got the supplies. You need to do some juggling with engineers in the early game but I wouldn't say its anything that detracts from the overall gameplay. But if you hated chrysalids before then hoo boy do I have some bad news...

But really, if you liked the tactical game of EU/EW, I'd say its worth checking out because they made that part even more fun and cool and good. And if you run into anything really annoying, chances are someone's already made a mod to change it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bushiz posted:

Apparently, if you kill an andromedon with Face-Off, the animation for it's death and re-animation can cause Face-Off to cancel, leaving your gunslinger hella flanked by the dudes he was supposed to have easily murdered.

Eat poo poo, Jake.

A few times I've run into an issue where Andromedons are completely untargetable after their transformation, giving them a free pass to run up and punch your squad to death if you don't have a whole lot of ground-targeted AoE to take them out. It's pretty nuts how buggy this game is.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Still kind of mildly surprises me to hear so many people talking about game-breaking bugs and crashes. Admittedly I haven't messed with mods, but I haven't had this game do anything more than (admittedly pretty bad) LOS issues and bizarre animation interactions yet.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If you're like me and were having awful memory troubles, hitching, and crashes once you'd installed too many content mods, it might be worth trying this One Weird Trick until Jake fixes game: XCOM 2 eats a lot of standby memory in some circumstances (possibly, yes, related to loading a lot of mods): dude's script tries to manage it a bit better than the game does and it's really worked for me (in that it's made my mod setup a lot more playable and smoother than it used to be, at the cost of longer load times).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 28, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Help I'm spending more time modding than playing

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Backhand posted:

Still kind of mildly surprises me to hear so many people talking about game-breaking bugs and crashes. Admittedly I haven't messed with mods, but I haven't had this game do anything more than (admittedly pretty bad) LOS issues and bizarre animation interactions yet.

I have like 50 mods and the only bugs I have encountered are visual ones like Archons charging + dodging fifty feet underground then popping back up, and enemies not plummeting to their deaths when I explode a three story building out from underneath them. Codices can't fly, they should stop acting like it :colbert:

Oh, and the "black screen with a shitload of loud noises" thing that happens between turns sometimes, but I just alt-tab for a minute to wait it out. I was warned plenty about counting on a save in a Cryssalid mission so I always made sure to save beforehand, so I dodged that one.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

SynthOrange posted:

Don't stop. At least your mods don't seem to be making you want to rip your hair out.

I'm looking at you, stupid grenade launcher I'm trying to make that has a rocket ability on it that isn't working because :argh:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Where's my corny 'arrow through the head' headband? Or yellowed buck teeth? Or oversized Richard Nixon mask from Point Break? Or turban? I'm waiting here :colbert:

EDIT: Someone mentioned x-ray specs and I vote for those. Bonus points if you can get them to rotate slowly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think one of the other silly costume mods has an arrow through the head, along with an axe in the head, and a guy fawkes mask :v

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

do you know what will make you want to play rather than mod?

anime face masks

Eh? Eh? Wink Wink Nudge Nudge :nyoron:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I haven't seen a ton of bugs but the game did end up being the thing that finally killed my 3 year-old 1k watt power supply.

I just got a "fair" rating on a retaliation mission even though none of my squad got injured, all because I mind-controlled a gatekeeper, had it psyball some dudes which triggered a bunch of resurrections, then killed off the gatekeeper. I ended up with 4 "dead soldiers" on account of the reanimated corpses dropping dead.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SynthOrange posted:

Don't you dare stop! This could be the one thing for which you are remembered in history!!

e: GATORCOM is a go

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
If a soldier is of higher rank than their AWC 'roll' when it gets built, does retraining them guarantee it shows up? Or is it just 'sorry, you're screwed'?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Dexanth posted:

If a soldier is of higher rank than their AWC 'roll' when it gets built, does retraining them guarantee it shows up? Or is it just 'sorry, you're screwed'?

'Sorry, you're screwed' but one of like the first 10 mods was a fix for this

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

MadHat posted:

Aliens have a little marker, like a bulls-eye in red on them when you hover over a movement square on the map to show who a Unit can shoot at/see from that position if they moved there.

Where is this marker? It's not on the alien icon, and it's not on the tile. Is it on the alien tile?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

many johnnys posted:

Where is this marker? It's not on the alien icon, and it's not on the tile. Is it on the alien tile?

Next to the aliens' health bar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The LOS marker needs an additional thing where it says if the target is flanked. I've never been able to reliably predict if a spot will flank or not.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

many johnnys posted:

It's a crosshair to the left of the alien's health bar.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Generation Internet posted:

'Sorry, you're screwed' but one of like the first 10 mods was a fix for this

Yea. I installed it. It's the first one that's a definite 'this buffs your team' - the rest are just informational ones - but the alternative is 'minmax the game even more' and that's totally unfun so screw it, AWC mod goes in.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The LOS marker needs an additional thing where it says if the target is flanked. I've never been able to reliably predict if a spot will flank or not.

I have a camera mod that changes the standard Q/E presses to just 45 degrees, which makes setting up flanks a lot easier. I did find a mod that changes the LoS crosshair to yellow if moving to the location would be a flank, but apparently the mod was broken according to most of the comments so I haven't turned it on as I'm near the end of my Commander campaign. I figure it probably won't break anything but I'd rather not risk it when I'm at the Network Tower.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I just had like 3 missions in a row (on Commander) where I had to engage 3 pods at a time.

I was trying to sneak around to get a better position each time and ended up just running into more pods. None of the bastards wanted to move and eat overwatches, so I had some crazy poo poo going on with Gatekeepers, pods of 3 archons, stunlancers, etc running around everywhere. Pods of 3 Archons are annoying as hell; dodge all day! And my sniper missed every killzone shot. :(

Everyone came home wounded.

It's cause of situations like this that I like to carry around two grenadiers.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Grand Fromage posted:

search the workshop for "flank preview"

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, you just draw a straight line from the flanked spot to where you want to position yourself, is it more complicated than that?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Vargs posted:

A few times I've run into an issue where Andromedons are completely untargetable after their transformation, giving them a free pass to run up and punch your squad to death if you don't have a whole lot of ground-targeted AoE to take them out. It's pretty nuts how buggy this game is.

When you transform an Andromedon to only its shell, the unit changes from one that uses cover to one that does not. A cover-using mob in high cover is treated, for the purpose as vision, as "projecting" its existence to the sides of that high cover. A non-cover-using mob no longer does so, and instead its line of sight gets completely blocked by high cover. This is likely what happened to you.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

It's a crosshair to the left of the alien's health bar.

So like, if I'm hovering over a square and thinking of moving someone there, the target icon will appear before I move there?

I'd check but I'm packing it in for the night. I can always check tomorrow but it's faster to ask the thread.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
^^^yep, that's exactly how it works. Its also (somewhat) useful to see if you might trigger a pod or an overwatch

quadrophrenic posted:

I mean, you just draw a straight line from the flanked spot to where you want to position yourself, is it more complicated than that?

Sometimes it can be hard to tell with object obstructions and the way the camera works.

What I want is an enemy sight indicator mod. loving gremlin triggering pods I'm trying to sneak up on, I just wanted combat protocol this one rear end in a top hat way over here! :argh:

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 28, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

When you transform an Andromedon to only its shell, the unit changes from one that uses cover to one that does not. A cover-using mob in high cover is treated, for the purpose as vision, as "projecting" its existence to the sides of that high cover. A non-cover-using mob no longer does so, and instead its line of sight gets completely blocked by high cover. This is likely what happened to you.

The two times it's happened to me, this hasn't been the case. I was so baffled that I ran a unit literally one tile away on its flank and still didn't have a shot, and none of my other soldiers showed a line of sight marker no matter what position I moused over.

On the subject of andromedon bullshit, I just encountered some more andromedon bullshit. An unactivated pod patrolled into my line of sight on its turn, triggered, and ran into my entire squad of overwatches. Normally aliens would not be able to attack during this period, but I managed to kill the andromedon pilot with overwatches. The shell was then given a turn to hit somebody, which woulda been pretty frustrating if it resulted in a death.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I've also had an Andromedon pilot get killed by the first shot of Rapid Fire, which then canceled the 2nd shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

sighnoceros posted:

I've also had an Andromedon pilot get killed by the first shot of Rapid Fire, which then canceled the 2nd shot.

This is normal since you completely killed the normal Andromedon with rapid fire. It's second form is essentially a different unit that doesn't activate until the current action is done.