Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
House Ownership Thread: I'd rather get one that's big enough to handle the large dumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
True for so many things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hobbez posted:

God drat that's a beautiful setup.

While we're talking blowers maybe I can push us forward a season and ask if anyone has strong opinions on snowblowers? I'm eyeballing the medium-quality two-stage Craftsmen at Lowe's that comes in at 850$. It's maybe a tad excessive for my modest Colorado suburban driveway and sidewalk but I'd rather get one that's big enough to handle the large dumps and might even join us if we migrate somewhere rural with a larger area to clear down the road.

Thanks, it's been super useful, and was a huge pain in the rear end to get it to this point.

On snowblowers: the craftsman ones are reasonable quality. I've had one for about 10 years. I'm reminded that it was surging last season so I should pull that into the barn and fix that along with servicing it for the season.

Mine only gets used for paths/patios and is single stage. I would not buy a single stage again knowing what I know now. It's fine most of the time in eastern PA, but when things get heavy (either by consistency or depth) it really struggles. If I was trying to do a driveway with this thing it would have been replaced already with a 2 stage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

Thanks, it's been super useful, and was a huge pain in the rear end to get it to this point.

On snowblowers: the craftsman ones are reasonable quality. I've had one for about 10 years. I'm reminded that it was surging last season so I should pull that into the barn and fix that along with servicing it for the season.

Mine only gets used for paths/patios and is single stage. I would not buy a single stage again knowing what I know now. It's fine most of the time in eastern PA, but when things get heavy (either by consistency or depth) it really struggles. If I was trying to do a driveway with this thing it would have been replaced already with a 2 stage.

How many acres are you on?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How many acres are you on?

2 that are "maintained", plus a bunch of wooded area behind and tree lines on the sides. So there's always tree work/deadfall to deal with too!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sounds beautiful. I don't envy the upkeep, but I do envy the scope.

BTW, saw this article just this morning and thought of you. The Arboreum Company. This is a nursery built by a man who specialized in saving germwood of old varieties. I signed up to be notified when spring orders started. Plant all the cherries I have neither room or chill hours for!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sounds beautiful. I don't envy the upkeep, but I do envy the scope.

BTW, saw this article just this morning and thought of you. The Arboreum Company. This is a nursery built by a man who specialized in saving germwood of old varieties. I signed up to be notified when spring orders started. Plant all the cherries I have neither room or chill hours for!

It is a lot of upkeep, but I'm a sicko and enjoy this kind of thing.

And hell yeah, that guy is doing cool stuff. I'm steadily working through replacing standard landscape grade stuff and reducing the amount of grass with natives, mostly from our local wildflower preserve. I don't know that this makes the upkeep any easier, but it sure will do well for the local pollinators and reduce the amount of insecticides/herbicides/fertilizers/water I need to use to keep these stupid non-native things growing well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

It is a lot of upkeep, but I'm a sicko and enjoy this kind of thing.

And hell yeah, that guy is doing cool stuff. I'm steadily working through replacing standard landscape grade stuff and reducing the amount of grass with natives, mostly from our local wildflower preserve. I don't know that this makes the upkeep any easier, but it sure will do well for the local pollinators and reduce the amount of insecticides/herbicides/fertilizers/water I need to use to keep these stupid non-native things growing well.
Sounds very nice. I do loathe basic landscape stuff. Blobby azaleas, bluh. I want plants in my garden that I've chosen carefully, that I don't see in every shopping mall/office park in the area.

I hear you on non-natives. Me and my vintage roses, dammit.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Bliss: Finished pulling up all of the like maybe 2000 individual carpet tacks off of a cat piss and rat turd-smeared floors

My right hand is so insanely tired from squeezing pliers and yanking out these loving tacks. I keep finding new muscles during this rehab to make incredibly sore.

Thankfully once we get the baseboards popped off and the vinyl ripped up from the kitchen and bathroom, which should be easy enough, we can actual begin to start cleaning the god drat place with godlike amounts of bleach+water on every single surface.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry, fill me in again, is this a flip, or do you actually intend to inhabit this own personal hell you've bought for yourself. No judgement, just curious, and looking forward to more updates

Seems like you'd want to cut out the bottom 8 inches of drywall throughout the house, just mitigate the cat piss capillary action altogether

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Sorry, fill me in again, is this a flip, or do you actually intend to inhabit this own personal hell you've bought for yourself. No judgement, just curious, and looking forward to more updates

Seems like you'd want to cut out the bottom 8 inches of drywall throughout the house, just mitigate the cat piss capillary action altogether

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does mortgage principal payment immediately affect future interest on the mortgage or is that set at the beginning and never changes? We are closing on a refinance and intended to not roll any closing costs into the loan, but looking at the closing disclosure they rolled $1.4K. This, of course, affects our interest payments on the mortgage, but in the interest of not delaying closing as our lock expires, I don't mind closing and then just making a $1.4K principal payment if that effectively does the same thing. My concern is if doing this effectively has us paying interest on this $1.4K over 30 years even if we do make that immediate principal payment.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

18" flood cut? Surely you'd go for 16 or 24 just for efficiency of standard drywall sheets.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Hadlock posted:

Catpissillary action was there for the taking. Just saying.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Oh yeah, I do intend to live there. I mean, unless the cat piss/rat poo poo stank doesn't ever go away, in which case I guess I'll just rent it out lol.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PageMaster posted:

Does mortgage principal payment immediately affect future interest on the mortgage or is that set at the beginning and never changes? We are closing on a refinance and intended to not roll any closing costs into the loan, but looking at the closing disclosure they rolled $1.4K. This, of course, affects our interest payments on the mortgage, but in the interest of not delaying closing as our lock expires, I don't mind closing and then just making a $1.4K principal payment if that effectively does the same thing. My concern is if doing this effectively has us paying interest on this $1.4K over 30 years even if we do make that immediate principal payment.

To answer your direct question, yes, making a higher payment now reduces your total interest paid over the course of the loan.

The advice section: It's at a very low interest rate, I would just let it be and make regular scheduled payments. The payments won't change if you pay extra, you just end up cutting payments off the end. The bank won't recalculate your future payments if you pay more now. Take your 1.4k and either keep it as emergency savings or invest it. The extra equity of $1,400 isn't enough to be excited over.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Amount of principal left impacts your interest each month. So if you pay $1000 extra you will drop $1000 with of interest. So if you can pay the 1.4k go for it. You will be paying less interest. We pay extra each month on our mortgage for this reason.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

StormDrain posted:

18" flood cut? Surely you'd go for 16 or 24 just for efficiency of standard drywall sheets.

This would imply that I knew something about drywall! Anyway, 8" isn't nearly high enough; cats spray, they don't emit a neat little straight line of fluid.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The cat piss stink does go away, but I wouldn't be using bleach here. Use a different commercial disinfector instead (like hospital-grade cleaner).

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

StormDrain posted:

To answer your direct question, yes, making a higher payment now reduces your total interest paid over the course of the loan.

The advice section: It's at a very low interest rate, I would just let it be and make regular scheduled payments. The payments won't change if you pay extra, you just end up cutting payments off the end. The bank won't recalculate your future payments if you pay more now. Take your 1.4k and either keep it as emergency savings or invest it. The extra equity of $1,400 isn't enough to be excited over.

tater_salad posted:

Amount of principal left impacts your interest each month. So if you pay $1000 extra you will drop $1000 with of interest. So if you can pay the 1.4k go for it. You will be paying less interest. We pay extra each month on our mortgage for this reason.

Thanks, still on track to close and it's no big deal either way as we have the money, but this gives us something to think about and decide over time rather than today. With interest rates this loss I wonder if it would have made sense to roll all our prepaid into the loan as well, but if need to find a calculator to see what that would have done to our monthly payments.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We try and pay at least an extra $100 against the principal each month, with the goal to make an equivalent of 13 payments each year. It's not always possible, but extra payments in the first few years have substantial compounding impacts. It's hard to make the argument right now with interest rates below the current rate of inflation, but it's nice to know you're slightly ahead on your mortgage

Not all mortgages allow early repayment without penalty, but the overwhelming majority do

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PageMaster posted:

Thanks, still on track to close and it's no big deal either way as we have the money, but this gives us something to think about and decide over time rather than today. With interest rates this loss I wonder if it would have made sense to roll all our prepaid into the loan as well, but if need to find a calculator to see what that would have done to our monthly payments.

I messed around with a calculator a moment ago and you could estimate about $50 per year per $1,000 financed, or $4.25 per month. That assumed a 3% annual rate for 30 years. It is such a small amount fluctuating between 2.5 and 4% doesn't change much.

https://rmsmortgage.com/calculators/payment-per-thousand-calculator

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ntan1 posted:

The cat piss stink does go away, but I wouldn't be using bleach here. Use a different commercial disinfector instead (like hospital-grade cleaner).

whats wrong with bleach + ammonia :dafuq:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

There are enzyme cleaners specifically for this, and they work very well on non/not-very-porous surfaces. But with what we've heard of that house, I'd be using the enzyme cleaners and then something hospital grade that you need a hazmat license to purchase.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Saucer Hovers posted:

I knew someone who actually didn't know better and cleaned their basement floors with that mixture once. She somehow lived another 50 years but had to move to the desert for her lungs and couldn't really leave for the last 30 years of her life. Would not recommend.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I inherited a house on the east coast of Florida a few years ago. It was built in 79/80. My dad didn't have insurance on it because they wanted to inspect the metal roof that he put on himself in 2015ish and he took that as an insult. I never got around to buying insurance because I was lazy and also broke.

I'm still lazy now, but less broke now at least.

I really just want fire (Is wildfire coverage different from regular fire? I want both.), flood (It's not in a flood prone area but, you know, climate change.), and general liability coverage. At the end of the day I just don't want to be sued into bankruptcy because my Uber Eats driver slips in my driveway, and if my house burns down I'll be happy with the land and a $200,000 check.

I've got a rickety looking shed out back (it's survived several hurricanes, though). I've got a leaky pool. There's 4 trees close to the house that need to come down. I don't know how any of this affects insurance.

Do I just call up State Farm and tell them I want home insurance? What kind of inspection are they going to do for fire/flood/liability? How much liability do I need?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Source4Leko posted:

I knew someone who actually didn't know better and cleaned their basement floors with that mixture once. She somehow lived another 50 years but had to move to the desert for her lungs and couldn't really leave for the last 30 years of her life. Would not recommend.

I learned about the combination at my first job when on multiple occasions coworkers would mix the two in a mop bucket and stick it in a tiny closet and close the door.

It's a loving miracle nobody got maimed or worse there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shroomie posted:

I inherited a house on the east coast of Florida a few years ago. It was built in 79/80. My dad didn't have insurance on it because they wanted to inspect the metal roof that he put on himself in 2015ish and he took that as an insult. I never got around to buying insurance because I was lazy and also broke.

I'm still lazy now, but less broke now at least.

I really just want fire (Is wildfire coverage different from regular fire? I want both.), flood (It's not in a flood prone area but, you know, climate change.), and general liability coverage. At the end of the day I just don't want to be sued into bankruptcy because my Uber Eats driver slips in my driveway, and if my house burns down I'll be happy with the land and a $200,000 check.

I've got a rickety looking shed out back (it's survived several hurricanes, though). I've got a leaky pool. There's 4 trees close to the house that need to come down. I don't know how any of this affects insurance.

Do I just call up State Farm and tell them I want home insurance? What kind of inspection are they going to do for fire/flood/liability? How much liability do I need?

Find an independent agent local to the home and give them a call. They're going to have a ton of carriers to get quotes from and can answer some of the regional specific questions you have.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Who would I want to talk to about repairing or replacing a makeup air damper that's part of a makeup air system for my range hood? It's not HVAC people apparently.

Heck I'd settle for someone who could help me cut open my ceiling without accidentally cutting some wires so I could get at the stupid damper.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

Bliss: Finished pulling up all of the like maybe 2000 individual carpet tacks off of a cat piss and rat turd-smeared floors

My right hand is so insanely tired from squeezing pliers and yanking out these loving tacks. I keep finding new muscles during this rehab to make incredibly sore.

So uh, sorry it's late for this but the claw of a claw hammer and a SECOND hammer is how you do this. Put the claw under the tack, lever it off the floor and it shoots up out of the floor. Wear safety glasses. (Which given the state of that house, sealed goggles with safety-glasses front (polycarbonate.)) If the claw won't fit under the tack, get it as far as you can with a gentle swing, literally "stuck", then hit the head of the hammer with your other hammer. Again. Wiggle and lever. You can also use a wrecking hammer for this, the little notch in the end of the 90-degree side. Some of them will sheer off, some will shoot out, some will require a lot of effort. Consider hitting the ones that sheer with a death wheel until flat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

There are enzyme cleaners specifically for this, and they work very well on non/not-very-porous surfaces. But with what we've heard of that house, I'd be using the enzyme cleaners and then something hospital grade that you need a hazmat license to purchase.

Enzyme cleaners are magic

Literally no other chemical is even worth trying on cat piss

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Closed on our refinance yesterday after 7 months of our original mortgage. Both had title (owners) insurance; so both still apply or is the original no longer active?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Closed on our refinance yesterday after 7 months of our original mortgage. Both had title (owners) insurance; so both still apply or is the original no longer active?

You didn't need to pay a second time, the original one was in force this whole time. Sorry for your loss. :v: The refi company would want their own title insurance though in theory. Does your state bundle them together?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Enzyme cleaners are magic

Literally no other chemical is even worth trying on cat piss

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have a puppy and two cats and can confirm enzyme cleaner is the only thing keeping me from selling them to the highest bidder

It's... alarming, how well the cleaner works.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Counterpoint: enzyme cleaners have done nothing for the smell when it comes to our cat pissing on furniture. Just makes everything smell like cat piss + enzyme cleaner perfume. Hard surfaces have always been cleaned with regular cleaners fine. Our cat must have nuclear piss or something (admittedly, I do have an extremely good sense of smell).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PageMaster posted:

Unless my mortgage calculator is wrong, yes you will be paying a significant portion of the $1400 (somewhere between $500 and $1000 depending on the amount borrowed and the rate) in interest over the life of the mortgage, even if you pay it back right now. You are better off not financing it.

On the other hand
-You can also save that money by not buying whatever luxury you regularly buy
-Unless you stay for 30 years you won't actually pay all that extra interest
-The equity growth will likely make up for it
-Other homeowner expenses will make that $1400 look like chump change within a few years.

So yeah only take action if it's easy to fix, otherwise ignore it. I just refinanced and I had the cash to close, but the lender tried to roll almost $6k into my new mortgage, increasing the principal. I caught it early and made them fix that.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 30, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Makes the cat piss not a problem all

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Any brand recommendations for enzyme cleaners for the cat piss piss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I haven't had to clean an entire cat piss hell house, but in my experience Nature's Miracle is like magically good at spot cleaning dog and cat piss