Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think I'm just interpreting "westaboo" differently here, since "weeaboo" sort of implies someone who has an unusual interest/knowledge in obscure poo poo from a particular culture's media (and usually also primarily consumes that media). Things like Spiderman or X-Men are major international franchises, and it's not that weird to be a big fan of them as a non-American.

It seems kinda comparable to foreigners being super into DBZ or One Piece in the modern era; it doesn't really imply a huge interest in "Japanese media/comics" so much as "being a big fan of these specific major media franchises."

(I realize this is kind of nitpicky)

idk i dont know any anime fans with a six foot tall pile of action figures almost blocking the front door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'm watching dai no daibouken because square enix made a lovely game out of it that they named INFINITY STRASH.

seems pretty fun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'm watching dai no daibouken because square enix made a lovely game out of it that they named INFINITY STRASH.

seems pretty fun

It's just extremely robust classic fantasy shonen, and a good intro to an immensely influential franchise. Definitely worth a shot if you want to see one of the actual good old stories that all those crappy cookie-cutter isekai are riffing on.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

January 6 Survivor posted:

that reminds me that, when the shithead kid in MHA was supposed to have died (though I bet that in manga fashion, he got better), there was a trend to show his 11/10 milf mom getting banged so she could quickly get another child who would be less of a little poo poo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The best MHA character is twink all-might

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

just busted out laughing at the introduction of Star and Stripe and her army of stealth bombers

this uhh sure is something

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

her power is literally called New Order and it lets her set arbitrary rules on reality

its not subtle lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
unfortunately she is a woman in mha so she accomplishes nothing and then dies

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

her power is literally called New Order and it lets her set arbitrary rules on reality

its not subtle lol

Does she have to do it Bill Maher style

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

net work error posted:

Does she have to do it Bill Maher style

From what I remember:
She touches a thing, says its name and states the rule she wants to set, and she can only keep two rules active at a time. So she needs to be able to touch it, she needs to know its name and she can't do everything at once. Within those limitations, she can still do some really wacky poo poo like hitting someone with the entire atmosphere. All that, while visually impressive, ultimately achieves jack poo poo and her presence in the story was pretty pointless.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oh and since I got caught up on MHA I went back and fired up Bungo Stray Dogs, I feel like this show makes way more sense.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Things like Spiderman or X-Men are major international franchises, and it's not that weird to be a big fan of them as a non-American.

Spoken like a westaboo.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

genericnick posted:

Anyone read Nihei's new thing? Dungeon Tower?

i have now and it looks good. only 6 chapters so i’ll check in again in 5 years or so

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MHA author has some big opinions about the government, US hegemony, and heroism that he absolutely refuses explore lol

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

pillsburysoldier posted:

MHA author has some big opinions about the government, US hegemony, and heroism that he absolutely refuses explore lol

It seems like that's kinda the author's thing, just putting Ideas out there and either flubbing them completely or just not exploring them at all

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

It's bizarre because he clearly acknowledges them, he doesnt shy away from it. The US's top hero Star and Stripe's power is literally a dictatorially control on reality vs. the opponents' perceptions. Like come on

And she also appears to be a huge all might weeb.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

you should read vigilantes then

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Stain Was Right.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

but for real Twice's story during the my villain academia arc was prob the most i enjoyed MHA

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

he killed off twice after readers kept pointing out he could just copy a bunch of dabis and instantly defeat all the heroes

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bro Dad posted:

he killed off twice after readers kept pointing out he could just copy a bunch of dabis and instantly defeat all the heroes

Pretty sure thats why people with quirks getting One for All die at 30 years old too, because readers probably kept pointing out midoriya was the wrong choice when mirio was right there

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

Pretty sure thats why people with quirks getting One for All die at 30 years old too, because readers probably kept pointing out midoriya was the wrong choice when mirio was right there

Tbf the story itself does a decent job of answering the "why Midoriya" question in recent chapters.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

pillsburysoldier posted:

Mirio is definitively the most heroic hero in MHA. Deku's fine and all but even without powers Mirio's still fantastic

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just watched Gundam 00 awakening of the trailblazers and what a waste of time

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

i'm pretty sure i warned you

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it was worth it for celestial being the movie

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

it was worth it for celestial being the movie

They could have made it cooler

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
they should have just made it the full run gently caress the els

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

Mirio is definitively the most heroic hero in MHA. Deku's fine and all but even without powers Mirio's still fantastic

tbh I was a little disappointed that he got his powers back as quickly as he did, but hey, I cheered as much as anyone when he showed back up in that fight.

e: the show needs more Eri. I was hoping she would be a much more regular part of things going forward but thus far I have been disappointed.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 06:26 on May 19, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
my quirk is a superhuman ability to post, but i'm a villain because my family died in a tragic vlogging accident and it got demonitized

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

my quirk is a superhuman ability to post, but i'm a villain because my family died in a tragic vlogging accident and it got demonitized

They were big Lindsay Ellis fans and they all simultaneously blew their brains out when she quit youtube.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

tokin opposition posted:

tyfys / sorry for your loss

what the gently caress is that avatar

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Orb Crabmelt posted:

tyfys / sorry for your loss

what the gently caress is that avatar

Thanos' cock.

It's perfectly balanced.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Oh so someone can have a thanos cock avatar but if I even mention the existence of milf hentai I am a bad guy?

Hypocrites

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

That's how I felt about most of Gundam 00, really.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

genericnick posted:

That's how I felt about most of Gundam 00, really.
s2 + movie -> into the garbage

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i liked most of the first season of 00

I think it was at its best when the ace pilots of the earth super nations were trying to find ways to take on the GUNDAMS with way less advance moble suits.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Popy posted:

i liked most of the first season of 00
it was so good!! Gundam Wing Improved

god drat s2 was a drop off. movie was incomprehensible. just a mess!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It's the only Gundam movie where a guy fights a truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

January 6 Survivor posted:

Oh so someone can have a thanos cock avatar but if I even mention the existence of milf hentai I am a bad guy?

Hypocrites

If you buy a milf hentai avatar no one will know what level of irony you’re operating on and just look the other way