Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

No. 6 posted:

I wanted to give a brief comment on a couple of helmets that I recently purchased.

First is the Bell Bullitt

<snip>
All said, if anyone is looking for a brand new, never been worn, Bullitt helmet, let me know.

That helmet reminds me so much of a Lego helmet. . .

It needs this:

But with Benny's face:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

What are some good in-ear headphones? I never feel like using my Sena and headphones are super easy, but obviously I want something that prevents hearing damage and has better quality at speed.

Yeah, you won't get any venting then either. :smith: Try wearing basketball shorts underneath. That helps.

I use the Etymotic Kids line - they're smaller so they fit nicely under helmets and such. I took their 3 prong tips and cut the end prong off to get it to fit in my ears comfortably. The audio limiting isn't a big deal as the Sena gets quite loud and they provide excellent noise blocking as long as the tips fit your ears well.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I'm trying to keep it under $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...rds=Shure+SE215

I recently purchased these and have used them twice while riding. The noise canceling and sound quality were both great.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've had good luck with these, until I switched to a Sena setup: http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...s=meelectronics

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I am going with the Etymotic Isolator. I wanted something that sits really deep in the ear and these look like the best fit.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mk5.html

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had a pipe burst in my garage and the water spray soaked my leathers. My plan is to let them air dry and then just condition them with mink oil. Is there anything I'm missing?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
A good cleaning and a dry (but not hot) location for them to dry out ought to be enough. You might use some saddle soap depending on how wet they got. Mink oil ought to be fine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Chichevache posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am going with the Etymotic Isolator. I wanted something that sits really deep in the ear and these look like the best fit.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mk5.html

that actually looks like a neat idea. Please review them when you get 'em.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nitrogen posted:

that actually looks like a neat idea. Please review them when you get 'em.

Absolutely. I'm still sitting on reviews for my other gear, making sure my opinions have solidified before sharing them.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How important do you guys think palm sliders (scaphoid protection) are? That seems to be a pretty important thing that the vast majority of gloves don't have, but on the low end price range I see the Scorpion SG3s at around $150 have Knox palm sliders.

Additionally, has anyone tried Lee Parks Design Deersports gloves? They look loving wonderful and are supposedly very high quality.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VERTiG0 posted:

How important do you guys think palm sliders (scaphoid protection) are? That seems to be a pretty important thing that the vast majority of gloves don't have, but on the low end price range I see the Scorpion SG3s at around $150 have Knox palm sliders.

Additionally, has anyone tried Lee Parks Design Deersports gloves? They look loving wonderful and are supposedly very high quality.

Even my cheap Sedici gauntlets have palm sliders. I think it's pretty important just cause that's gonna loving hurt to break.

Also I actually really like these gloves, they're comfortable and have held up well over the last year.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My hands are my money makers and they're very expensive to repair. I would never even think to wear gloves without proper knuckle protection or sliders.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 6, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The heel and blade of your hand are going to be the first things that hit the floor - and hit it hard - in almost any given crash, so extra protection there is pretty much essential.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Plus, scaphoids are an absolute nightmare to heal.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If you watch a lot of crash vids a lot of sliders tend to plant their hands palm down while sliding out of instinct. So palm sliders are useful to combat damage from that natural tendency to try and stay right side up

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Anecdotal Evidence: My only crash on the motard (lowside) involved me high-fiving the pavement instinctively when I hit the ground. That pretty much destroyed my glove but my hand was OK.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Why is it then that so few gloves actually have palm sliders, and instead include some dogshit leather that'll just get ground into nothing, exposing your hands to the asphalt?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Plus, scaphoids are an absolute nightmare to heal.

What, mine only took 24 weeks in a cast to heal, and that was AFTER they put a Herbert screw in it! :v:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VERTiG0 posted:

Why is it then that so few gloves actually have palm sliders, and instead include some dogshit leather that'll just get ground into nothing, exposing your hands to the asphalt?

Why is it then that people wear these?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Natural selection.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SaNChEzZ posted:

Natural selection.

This is still my favorite vest. Stylish and protective both on the bike and in the gaybar.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-strength-rage-with-the-machine-jacket

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I've been wanting a motorcycle for a little over a year, and should finally have enough saved up cash by this June. My reasoning is that my car is getting up there, I'm a single guy who works as a CSR in a call-center, and I really don't need a car 90% of the time. Plus, I freaking hate cars. I hate feeling huge and giant and slow and like I'm moving on rails. I hate not being able to see. I just don't like them and find them boring and blagh. I love traveling, but hate hate hate driving. Plus I greatly enjoyed my cheap-o mountain bike until my rear end/wrists convinced me to stop.

Basically, while I'm making myself promise to not even think about buying anything until I take the MSF course at my local Community College, I've started looking at gear to try and come up with a budget. Bikes would depend on whatever's on Craigslist when I start shopping for a bike, so not really shoppable.

I'm bad at it though, I'm not sure what brands/makes are a good investment? And I think I have a problem with overspending for quality/safety sake. So, I figured I'd ask you smart-guys for help? I've got some jazz, and could appreciate some help on this front.

Main Info: I budgeted a max of about $1k, which may be too much? I live in southwest Virginia, so weather gets basicaly everything, from 90-ish in summer down to the low teens in bad winter. Intermittent rain, but we almost never get more than a few days of snow/ice in winter. I'll be trying to use my bike as my daily-vehicle, and I'm more focused on multi-season value for dollar.

Jacket: Tourmaster Saber 4
I've heard good things about Tourmaster stuff, and I like the look of the jacket. Waterproof is great, like the number of vents for summer and the liner for winter. Plus, it's not much more expensive than your normal Carhardtt outdoors jacket. Good choice?

Pants: Tour Master Overpants
Overpants. They match the jacket, and I've heard they last about 1 billion years and can take anything you throw at them. Don't look hideous, good for all weather with the vents, and are overpants so I can take 'em off when I get to a place.

Gloves: REV'IT Summit H2O Gloves
Probably a bit costly? But I'd like waterproof gloves, glove covers look horrid and awkward, and these seem to be the best for a budget. Gauntlet, have a palm-slider and hard-knuckles and finger protection and such, but without looking like a robot-hand. Like the visor-wipe and snot-patch as well. Plus, most waterproof gloves are insulated and for winter, while these are more summer/fall/spring. In the depths of winter I'd be willing to get something like Rukka Lobsters or some heated-gloves.

Boots: Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof Boot
Either this one, which is the old model on closout, or the new version. I like the height, the style, and they seem just great? Enough protection that I would feel safe wearing them, plus waterproof, the strap gives some adjustability and security of fit, and they look enough like normal shoes to wear all the time.

Storage: Firstgear Torrent Backpack
Need a way to carry stuff, used to wearing a backpack around anyway. Big+waterproof= good deal.

Cover: Oxford Rainex Motorcycle Cover
My bike's going to be living outside all the time, so I figure a cover is a good investment. This one seems well made, and is designed for that sorta perma-outside use.

Rainsuit: Nelson Rigg 6000 Stormrider Rain Suit
Probably a future-day purchase if the waterproofing in the jacket/pants prooves dogcrap. Mostly would use it as an emergency thing in case of unexpected downpour.

I probably massively overspent, especially on gloves/boots, but as I said I've got an issue with that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rain gear is nice but doesn't breathe as well. If you're in a place where it's normally dry I'd go for dry gear first. You can always buy more later and regular gear is alright up until it's really pouring.

Jacket and pants are fine cause they'll have vents, but I'd go with regular boots and gloves.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Marxalot posted:

I can't imagine that palm sliders are left off of most gloves for style reasons. You don't even see them.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Wapole Languray posted:

I probably massively overspent, especially on gloves/boots, but as I said I've got an issue with that.

First, I don't think it's really possible to overspend on gear. this is the poo poo that's going to keep you alive or in fewer pieces one day, so if you can afford it then go for it. I think $1,000 is pretty reasonable to get your starting gear.

Second, nsaP is right, don't worry so much on waterproof stuff. You'll be more comfortable 90% of the time if you get normal gear and a set of rain gear like Frogg Toggs to wear over it. They're super light wait and compact pretty small so you can just leave them in your pack all the time. One point of disagreement with nsaP, it might be worth it to get waterproof boots. Personally, I don't have a problem with non-vented boots getting to hot and I'm absolutely miserable once my socks and feet get wet.

Also, something to consider about boots is lateral support for your ankles. Compare the ankle support on something like this, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-plus-vented-boots to the boots you posted and notice the extra support around the ankle. I have a pair of SMX-Plus which I commute on. While I wouldn't walk in them all day they're perfectly comfortable for grabbing some food or stopping by a store. I just keep a pair of sneakers at work.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'd just but a bunch of used stuff from one of the other big bike forums. Then when you're sure you love it you can go get your own.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Be wary of the "price = quality" fallacy, but $1k isn't that crazy for a full set of gear. I got all my starting gear for about $700 total (including a lucky used boot find) and I even thought I was getting a pretty good deal on a lot of it. A lot of people spend well over $1k for a full set of gear.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have similar textile gear and it is "waterproof" but its not gortex or something. Its just heavy duty material in general. From my experiences with very similar gear commuting every day in Maine rain or shine from May to October, the heavy textile two piece has been great. In the nice warm temps I prefer my ventilated leather jacket though.

I do have a 1pc rain suit I wear over my gear with overboots for my ventilated leather boots. The only downside to those is cold air makes cold feet. My next pair of boots will be waterproof.

As far as gloves are concerned: I don't know how much, if ever, you wear gloves in your life. They are a lot like boots in the regards that when you wear them for a living you get very picky about their properties. They are something really left best to trying on before committing. Personally, I have these Cortech Latigo gloves and they are super comfortable with lots of protection in the gauntlet. I dont think I could stand waterproof gloves because I would rather have wet fingers once and again that sweaty fingers every single day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I have worn my perforated leather jacket and perf shorty gloves through a few downpours and I didn't get wet at all. Get the gear you'll be comfortable in for your average riding condition, then worry about rain.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

My issue is that most textile gear I like the look of is also waterproof. It's honestly hard to find textile gear that isn't I've found, if it's not mesh and not leather it's waterproof. Suggestions would be more than welcome though. I do have chronic-cold hands and feet though, so I'm not terribly worried about gloves/boots being warm.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wapole Languray posted:

My issue is that most textile gear I like the look of is also waterproof. It's honestly hard to find textile gear that isn't I've found, if it's not mesh and not leather it's waterproof. Suggestions would be more than welcome though. I do have chronic-cold hands and feet though, so I'm not terribly worried about gloves/boots being warm.

Who cares how you look? Just by virtue of riding you're awesome.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wapole Languray posted:

It's different with jackets and pants. They will have vents so you'll be alright. They won't be as comfortable as say, mesh gear, but not bad. The gloves and boots are different because they won't have zip vents so you just get no airflow/sweatyness.

I have a perf leather jacket that I only get wet clothes with when it's a downpour. My pants are waterproof but have some nice crotch vents.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Glad to hear, I really do like the look of Tourmaster stuff, and those two are basically the best low price textile I've found that's not Icon or Joe Rocket or something. All of which I've heard bad things about.

Any recommendations
for good newbie boots/gloves? Boots I could reasonably wear off bike are best, and the main thing for gloves is a palm slider/protector.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wapole Languray posted:

Like I posted earlier, it is "waterproof" as a side effect of the heavy duty materials more than an on purpose Gortex waterproof.

I had good luck with Cortechs Latigo Air boots but I would get the waterproof versions if I were doing it again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wapole Languray posted:

Any recommendations
for good newbie boots/gloves? Boots I could reasonably wear off bike are best, and the main thing for gloves is a palm slider/protector.

I've heard these are about as comfy as it gets, can't confirm until next week when mine get here. I actually have a pair in the house already, but my feet only just fit in them :v:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Wapole Languray posted:

Glad to hear, I really do like the look of Tourmaster stuff, and those two are basically the best low price textile I've found that's not Icon or Joe Rocket or something. All of which I've heard bad things about.

Any recommendations

I wear a pair of Sidi Street Burners For just bumming around town.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/sid...Street%20Burner|409|1329050

There are two schools of thought on boots:

A) The "Never wear boots without some shin protection" guys
B) The "Lighten up, Francis" guys

I've managed to toss myself off a bike twice in the last 10 or 12 years and shin protection was never a problem, but I do agree with them on if you go sliding and hit a fixed object you will wish to god you had that protection. But, you know, be an adult; accept what risk you are comfortable with and if you gently caress up - you cuss a little, bitch a little, then try to not do it again.

I like those boots, they're pretty comfy - I can wear them all day and they're not terribly rough on my feet.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
What's the general consensus on the best heated grips? I have a 2014 Yamaha FZ1 and I'm sick of cold hands.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Most people seem to like them, but I don't. They don't warm the top of your hands, cool off immediately if you let go of the handlebars and have a tough time heating through a winter glove.

Next winter I'm looking in to either muffs or electric gloves.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

KARMA! posted:

Most people seem to like them, but I don't. They don't warm the top of your hands, cool off immediately if you let go of the handlebars and have a tough time heating through a winter glove.

Next winter I'm looking in to either muffs or electric gloves.
The benefit is that they are always there when you need them. I won't have to screw around with charging batteries or wiring myself to the bike just for the 30 minute ride to work when it's cold in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Heated grip chat:

On my first long trip it was surprisingly cold and I got some of those iron oxide reaction, one-use glove/boot heating pads from a rural gas station in NW PA, and stuck them to my grips, my hands had been absolutely miserable and they perked right back up.
Doesn't answer your question but if you're ever caught off-guard by the cold, get some of those little pad things.