Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Normally I install ROMs by hand, but today I decided to try Rom Manager. I tried installing CM three times with this piece of poo poo app, but each time it hosed up and left me at a never-ending CM boot screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

QuarkJets posted:

Normally I install ROMs by hand, but today I decided to try Rom Manager. I tried installing CM three times with this piece of poo poo app, but each time it hosed up and left me at a never-ending CM boot screen.
Just install CM10 once by hand then use CyanDelta or the built in CM updater and never use lovely ROM Manger again!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

When I had a GSII, I used Rom Manager to install nightly builds of CM and never had much of an issue. Of course, now there are WAY better ways to update than with Rom Manager, but I don't think it ever completely screwed up on me. On my One X though I installed TWRP and install everything manually, so maybe it became bloated crap.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
So... the bootloader being unlocked on the S4 is the first step. I assume that there will be rooted stock ROMs, right? I'm not seeing much on XDA. I'm on Sprint, and haven't made the move to the S4 yet. Root access will be the defining step for me to buy one.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
You guys were right... I am a gigantic idiot for rooting my friends SIII. Never again, for anybody. If you can't figure it out yourself then you don't deserve it. My friend tried to update his Cyanogenmod running S III, not sure what happened but it sounds like a soft brick. Now I gotta troubleshoot it for him.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I want to root my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" but I'm starting to become a little confused with all the advice I'm finding and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Is there anywhere that has a step-by-step guide that assumes the user is a moron? Because that's the level of help I need right now.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

anakha posted:

Yes, you can just sideload the app from the link in my earlier post and get root that way.

I'll post a more detailed guide to getting custom recovery on your phone once I get home. I have a p500 running an ICS custom ROM right now.

E: Here's the guide.

Excellent, thank you so much for this. My p500 is now rooted and backed up, and now I'm sifting through numerous roms that support old baseband (which I assume I can't flash without being able to connect to my computer).

Just a couple more rudimentary questions:
I am using Titanium Backup for apps, and relying on google sync to save my contacts - What about Mobile Network settings, and APNs? Will I have to manually re-enter those, setting up MMS proxies and the like? Or should I make some data back-ups in Titanium?
I'd like to create and store a Nandroid backup somewhere, but obviously I can't use my computer. What is recommended for (free) mobile cloud storage?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Rooting/flashing ROMs are so easy that if you can't figure it out you seriously shouldn't do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Noxin of Shame posted:

Excellent, thank you so much for this. My p500 is now rooted and backed up, and now I'm sifting through numerous roms that support old baseband (which I assume I can't flash without being able to connect to my computer).

Just a couple more rudimentary questions:
I am using Titanium Backup for apps, and relying on google sync to save my contacts - What about Mobile Network settings, and APNs? Will I have to manually re-enter those, setting up MMS proxies and the like? Or should I make some data back-ups in Titanium?
I'd like to create and store a Nandroid backup somewhere, but obviously I can't use my computer. What is recommended for (free) mobile cloud storage?
APNs and network settings will come across just fine (or it should). Remember to NOT restore system settings from Titanium (so you'll lose your bookmarks in the browser). The nandroid is made in recovery on the device, no computer necessary.

Dropbox for mobile cloud storage.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 9, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rooted Android - Run a Manfred in recovery

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Rooted Android - Run a Manfred in recovery
loving Swype.

By the way, CM10.1rc1 is out for most devices.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Rooting/flashing ROMs are so easy that if you can't figure it out you seriously shouldn't do it.

I'm just playing it safe. I have an old phone, and I'm reading through year, two year old threads. I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything new or relevant.

LastInLine posted:

APNs and network settings will come across just fine (or it should). Remember to NOT restore system settings from Titanium (so you'll lose your bookmarks in the browser). The nandroid is made in recovery on the device, no computer necessary.

Dropbox for mobile cloud storage.

Thank you, good to know.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Yeah, I've rooted tablets before. The reason I'm asking for specific directions in this instance is apparently Amazon has made the new Fires much harder and more complicated to root.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Welp pack it in folks it looks like Tora Tora Torrents has decreed this thread unnecessary.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Syrinxx posted:

Welp pack it in folks it looks like Tora Tora Torrents has decreed this thread unnecessary.

Since when was this thread "How to root your phone" rather than discussion of rooted Android as a whole? I pretty much agree as a rule, if you do not have the technical knowledge to at least understand the instructions available for rooting your phone and what you are doing when you execute those steps, you probably shouldn't be doing it because you have a much higher chance of loving up. If the instructions are incomplete or wrong and you don't have the slightest understanding of what they were actually having you do, you'll probably have a hell of a time explaining to others what went wrong and how as well as following the likely even more complicated process you'll now need to deal with to unfuck whatever went wrong.

If you have a basic familiarity with *nix systems and aren't afraid of the command line, rooting and most associated issues are pretty trivial to deal with, but if you don't have that knowledge then when something goes wrong you'll be lost.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I just wanted to mention that the Motochopper root exploit continues to work on the new AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 32 GB model, as well as the existing Galaxy S4 devices!

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

wolrah posted:

I pretty much agree as a rule, if you do not have the technical knowledge to at least understand the instructions available for rooting your phone and what you are doing when you execute those steps

The problem in many cases isn't understanding the steps, but just finding them in the first place in the hideous disorganised mess that is the XDA forums.

And even if you do find them, the posters there usually tend to assume some level of prior knowledge and fail to explain a lot of stuff that honestly is fairly basic, but that someone who doesn't already have a good working knowledge of low-level android stuff wouldn't have the faintest clue about (anything involving adb, for example, or what exactly the implications of wiping /data/ might be).

And that's ignoring the fairly high chance of running into advice that's flat-out wrong or completely contradictory.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

arhra posted:

The problem in many cases isn't understanding the steps, but just finding them in the first place in the hideous disorganised mess that is the XDA forums.

And even if you do find them, the posters there usually tend to assume some level of prior knowledge and fail to explain a lot of stuff that honestly is fairly basic, but that someone who doesn't already have a good working knowledge of low-level android stuff wouldn't have the faintest clue about (anything involving adb, for example, or what exactly the implications of wiping /data/ might be).

And that's ignoring the fairly high chance of running into advice that's flat-out wrong or completely contradictory.

What, you mean it wasn't self-explanatory that you have to flash the fix posted on page 492 and toggle the setting discussed on page 498, but only using the recovery posted on page 312 of another thread, otherwise none of the radios will work? If you ask about it you will get called an rear end in a top hat by at least ten people and the ROM author will never update the OP to include this information. The aforementioned posts are the only ones of value in the whole thread. It begins to dawn on you that you have loaded your phone with firmware put together by a 14 year old with a poor grasp of english. Your phone heats up dangerously and the camera and wifi don't work, but the new tribal theme and battery icon look poo poo hot. Welcome to the biggest Android developer community!

XDA! :bahgawd:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If it weren't for being able to ask specific questions here where I knew I'd get a good answer I'd never have understood what to do. Because of the help of some of the regulars here I have a pretty good understanding of quite a bit that can (and does) go wrong with Android and how to fix it. That's why I make a strong effort to give informative and helpful posts to the people who are a bit confused and nervous because I remember what it was like to have to figure out what to do relying on nothing but xda and youtube videos.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Giant rant about rooting knowledge and XDA and the HTC Desire incoming...

It's difficult because there's a balance to be found between people who really shouldn't be trying to root their device because they have almost zero technical experience and not just telling everyone to gently caress off and work it out for themselves because it's so easy. XDA is the result of this problem because the former group piss off the people who genuinely try to help until they are driven to giving the latter response to everyone, even when someone has a genuine question.

With my friends and family I've set a really simple rule now. I will unlock your bootloader and/or root your device. This is not a problem at all, just bring it to me. You can be the biggest idiot ever and I will do this for you. But there are two conditions:
1) You won't get OTAs so you either need to bring me your phone again when there is an OTA or you'll have to sort it out for yourself. This puts most people off, which is good.
2) You buy a Nexus device or you :frogout: . I am not touching anything that can't be unlocked through ADB and rooted by installing Superuser.

Having owned an HTC Desire, a phone that shared 90% of the internals of the Nexus One and has enjoyed some of the best non-Nexus developer support of any device (there are people making 4.2 Jelly bean ROMs for that thing right now even though it officially stopped at a mostly broken Gingerbread build which was never OTAed), I just refuse to get involved with the garbage hacktacular root toolkits that don't explain what they are doing, have no user support beyond a 700 page forum thread where you get berated or an IRC channel where you get ignored, and mostly just serve to encourage people to do poo poo to their device that they don't understand.

I had almost zero experience with Unix except for the godawful Red Hat (and later White Box) machines at my university which I avoided at all costs since they were user unfriendly and unstable (and that's not a criticism of Linux, just of the idiots who set up our lab). I had absolutely no knowledge at all of Linux filesystems and it was all alien to me coming into Android. As a CS graduate I am completely comfortable with learning new techie stuff and loving around with things for myself and I wanted to learn about how Android worked. While I owned my Desire that never really happened because there were toolkits and things to do everything for you and that was almost the only way to get anything done. You rooted through a toolkit or you didn't root. I only really learned useful stuff once I had my GNex because the manual path was so much more accessible.

It's actually really hard to learn this poo poo without a Nexus device because you can't just pull up the bootloader and unlock it with ADB and install Superuser. Instead you get pushed into using "one-click" tools (which usually require a million clicks, if they even work) and learn nothing. Which then leads to people with rooted phones that they can't OTA, don't know how to fix, and when the guy making the toolkit disappears they are hosed.

Basically the community has brought this problem on itself by trying to make root accessible for everyone. It's a perfectly noble goal, but it leads to problems down the line.

This thread doesn't suffer from the noise levels that XDA does and really I don't think it is necessary to be elitist about who is or isn't allowed to root. I'm completely in favour of saying "Woah, stop, do you understand this properly? Let me explain...". If it's so easy, then educate them. Teaching people easy things is easy!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, my entire problem with rooting my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 is sifting through all the conflicting information and threads that all reference each other. Does anyone have a good idea of where to start?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is it possible to make a single core device do something akin to Intels hyperthreading, aka turning one core into many?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of XDA, I ended up following a rooting guide for Evo 4G on an entirely different site (MikG I believe?). I've also come to realize that the procedure I did was, in retrospect, way more complicated than most others. It worked fine for me though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

Is it possible to make a single core device do something akin to Intels hyperthreading, aka turning one core into many?
Sure, there's no reason they couldn't build a multi-threaded single-core CPU. Can it be done after the fact? Nope.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The answer is almost always "no". At minimum, you'd need a CWM build that has a kernel that's compatible with your device. Unless the device itself is very close to another supported device (i.e., same model phone but for a different branded carrier) chances are the kernel won't boot. Beyond that it's recommended to source-build CWM with device-specific paths and any other customization that might need to be done.

I just wanted to quote this to see if I could get ExcessBLarg!'s attention again. I PMed you (upgraded to PMs for just this purpose) but I guess you don't have them. I have, since this post, learned a few more thing about the device and a have a working FW saved on my computer. I was hoping we could communicate somewhere off site (to not fill this thread) to see if I can pick your brain and see what options are available to me now.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

What is the least intrusive method of adding menu functionality to the HTC logo or holding the back button on the HTC One?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Is it possible to root the htc one without wiping the device by unlocking the bootloader? I want to install titanium backup but that kind of seems to defeat the purpose if I have to reinstall everything to begin with.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Chunk posted:

What is the least intrusive method of adding menu functionality to the HTC logo or holding the back button on the HTC One?

There are sense based kernels that do this, check XDA.

P.S. the official CM10.1 nightlies for GSM One's are getting pushed now. Should be up soon, apparently.

http://www.get.cm/?device=m7&type=

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Genderfluid posted:

Is it possible to root the htc one without wiping the device by unlocking the bootloader? I want to install titanium backup but that kind of seems to defeat the purpose if I have to reinstall everything to begin with.

This will let you back up your stuff without root, but if you don't have root you'll need to plug the device into a computer to use their application there (it relies on the ADB connection to get at and restore applications that would otherwise need root to be backed up):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en

Then you can wipe the device while unlocking the bootloader, but still be able to restore all your stuff.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Install Gentoo posted:

This will let you back up your stuff without root, but if you don't have root you'll need to plug the device into a computer to use their application there (it relies on the ADB connection to get at and restore applications that would otherwise need root to be backed up):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en

Then you can wipe the device while unlocking the bootloader, but still be able to restore all your stuff.

I've got no issue with hooking it up, so thank you. This is perfect.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Are there any backup solutions that essentially make a disk image of your phone?

For example, if I think I want to twiddle around with my phone, I'd like to make an image of it as it is now, then go root/install other ROMS/etc., but then if it's not working out I could just reimage with the backup I made.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

tarepanda posted:

Are there any backup solutions that essentially make a disk image of your phone?

For example, if I think I want to twiddle around with my phone, I'd like to make an image of it as it is now, then go root/install other ROMS/etc., but then if it's not working out I could just reimage with the backup I made.

You are describing what a nandroid backup is and has always been. Get a recovery and do a backup, I recommend TWRP.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I thought nandroid required root?

What is TWRP?

Edit: The reason I want to back everything up as-is is because it doesn't seem like there's a non-destructive root method for my phone (SGS3a SC-03E), so I'd lose everything on the phone.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 11, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

What is TWRP?

Team Win Recovery Project. It's an alternative to CWM (Clockword Mod). With giant graphical buttons. I think it looks dumb but it undoubtedly works well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Edit: The reason I want to back everything up as-is is because it doesn't seem like there's a non-destructive root method for my phone (SGS3a SC-03E), so I'd lose everything on the phone.

TWRP and other custom recoveries require the phone to be rooted already, though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

anakha posted:

TWRP and other custom recoveries require the phone to be rooted already, though.

Yeah, that's why I was looking for some kind of imaging option that doesn't require it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, that's why I was looking for some kind of imaging option that doesn't require it.

Back up everything with Helium, root and install a custom recovery, then you can make all the nandroids you want and gently caress about as you please.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

anakha posted:

I think on some phones, Samsungs or maybe a lot of others you can have an unlocked bootloader/custom recovery without actually/technically being rooted in the android os but I think about zero people actually do that.

edit: to tarepanda I have an sgs3 (att) and I don't remember the root kit I d/led killing userdata, I could be wrong, I did not really care if it did or not, wiping out /recovery, /data & /system was my intent. (to install cwm & then cm10 via cwm)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 11, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Wagonburner posted:

edit: to tarepanda I have an sgs3 (att) and I don't remember the root kit I d/led killing userdata, I could be wrong, I did not really care if it did or not, wiping out /recovery, /data & /system was my intent. (to install cwm & then cm10 via cwm)

Your SGS3 is completely different, though. Mine's the quad-core exynos. The only root methods I see are images on xda that I have to flash with Odin.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Back up everything with Helium, root and install a custom recovery, then you can make all the nandroids you want and gently caress about as you please.

That doesn't help me with restoring original firmware/modem/Japanese stuff if I need to, though.

Edit: I ended up flashing everything anyway. Did a SIM unlock anyway. Sorry for being a pain in the rear end.

I'm on CM 10.1 now and... is there a way to add things to the pull-down toggles? I'd like to put sound (on, off, vibrate) and rotation in there too...

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Your SGS3 is completely different, though. Mine's the quad-core exynos. The only root methods I see are images on xda that I have to flash with Odin.

That doesn't help me with restoring original firmware/modem/Japanese stuff if I need to, though.

Edit: I ended up flashing everything anyway. Did a SIM unlock anyway. Sorry for being a pain in the rear end.

I'm on CM 10.1 now and... is there a way to add things to the pull-down toggles? I'd like to put sound (on, off, vibrate) and rotation in there too...
Settings > System > either Notification drawer > Power widget or Quick Settings Panel