Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
So, is there any rightwing response to Christie paying $2m more for an ad campaign that featured his family over the next highest bid that didn't? I know it's asking a lot but are those facts even getting out there at all in right wing media or is it all just screaming about the false equivalence of IRS and Benghazi till they are red in the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Anubis posted:

So, is there any rightwing response to Christie paying $2m more for an ad campaign that featured his family over the next highest bid that didn't? I know it's asking a lot but are those facts even getting out there at all in right wing media or is it all just screaming about the false equivalence of IRS and Benghazi till they are red in the face?
Asking for almost anything good from right wing media is asking for too much. Even the folks who are doing it are doing it not because of the public interest or the truth or whatever. They're doing it to dis the RINO who was polite to Obama for 5 minutes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Today Sean Hannity straight up said the House should impeach Obama, acknowledging that nothing would come of it, just to "make it a part of his legacy."

No poo poo, that is a thing he said, not at all taken out of context. Our elected officials should formally accuse the president of our country of breaking the law for the sole purpose making him look bad when people look back on his presidency in the future.

He's probably feeling he has to up his game after a few stations dropped him for Michael Savage. Hannity is a pustule, but he's mainly an amplifier of 'mainstream' conservative points. He's losing ground to loons that are louder and push harder stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of the routes I take home has a big old "tell congress to impeach Obama" billboard. At best due to the area I live in, that's just an echo chamber type thing, but I roll my eyes every time I pass it.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

CheeseSpawn posted:

How's it going Frank? It's been awhil- oh....

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/01/the-agony-of-frank-luntz/282766/

Yes, go wallow in the poo poo hole you created Luntz. If only you had been on Romney's campaign, you could have saved America!

I love how he almost blames himself, and then reverts back to "No, it must be Obama's fault really." It's astounding that he helps create this problem he sees, and then just blames the traitor mooslum.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Since right wing politicians and media are ever constantly trying to outdo each other to be the next level of extreme I wonder how many election cycles until we have investigations into the lizard people threat and congressional funding for research into cloning Jesus to create an Antichrist and kickstart the rapture.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sephyr posted:

He's probably feeling he has to up his game after a few stations dropped him for Michael Savage. Hannity is a pustule, but he's mainly an amplifier of 'mainstream' conservative points. He's losing ground to loons that are louder and push harder stuff.
I like the metaphor of drug dealers entering a market, selling a purer version of the product that kills the hardcore users that take it leading to the eventual downfall of those drug dealers. It's like Breaking Boneheaded.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sephyr posted:

Hannity is a pustule, but he's mainly an amplifier of 'mainstream' conservative points.

I learned a new word today. Thanks, Sephyr.

What the gently caress does Hannity have to worry about anyway? Christ. So he's the 3rd or 4th ranking Prince of poo poo mountain instead of #2.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BiggerBoat posted:

What the gently caress does Hannity have to worry about anyway? Christ. So he's the 3rd or 4th ranking Prince of poo poo mountain instead of #2.

It's important to be #2 on poo poo Mountain.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Let's see what Fox News is up to today

It isn't just Fox that has problems talking about massive stories threatening countless people's lives if they involve corporations behaving badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDyiPTTsKjg

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

So the lowly brazilian gets to teach the Unitedstater, eh? It truly is a multipolar world now!

And you forget that these guys are pathologically terrified of not being A#1. Oh, there's probably a few that are happy to cash their check with rube money and live large (Malkin, Palin, etc), but I bet my bottom Real that most of them get flop sweats when a new kid shows up on the block or they start losing airspace to other nuts.

"What am I doing wrong? Should I have been harder on the DREAM Act? Did having Christie on my show hurt me? Are we hating or loving the Vatican now? Should I book a Bitcoin-pushing libertarian next week to get with it or Alex Jones to retain the canned-food survivalist crowd?"

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Fox News incites violence against Satanists, who by the way, don't actually do human sacrifice or any bullshit that fundamentalist christians like to make up about them whenever they use them as an easy target for scapegoating abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of4OVvyr9qk

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like how the guy says "Christianity promotes good and Satanism is about evil so we should put up their statue and shoot them next to it and then take it down." They really don't get that they are the villains in the New Testament (and pretty much all media afterward outside of brainless action movies) at all.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sephyr posted:

And you forget that these guys are pathologically terrified of not being A#1. Oh, there's probably a few that are happy to cash their check with rube money and live large (Malkin, Palin, etc), but I bet my bottom Real that most of them get flop sweats when a new kid shows up on the block or they start losing airspace to other nuts.

"What am I doing wrong? Should I have been harder on the DREAM Act? Did having Christie on my show hurt me? Are we hating or loving the Vatican now? Should I book a Bitcoin-pushing libertarian next week to get with it or Alex Jones to retain the canned-food survivalist crowd?"
I would bet that the main reason we know a dummy like Hannity's name at all has to do with him being super competitive.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Is there anything on the right wing media side that even approaches the level of journalism and significant reporting you can see on Maddow's show, as well as a few others on MSNBC? I happen to catch Fox News rather often when I'm at the home of my SO's parents but the time slots are rather random so I don't catch the primetime shows really. This Christie bridge scandal is a prime example where nearly all of Maddow's show is presenting useful information regarding aspects of the scandal, background information that even high-information viewers may not have seen, and bringing in people to talk who are also presenting information of that caliber. It doesn't reek of appeal to authority cheerleading that I've seen from Stossel and others that are rather light on evidence or significant information.

I've tried discussing this with my Tea Party friend from NH but he surges with blinding rage whenever Maddow is mentioned. Any discussion focusing solely on the Fox News reporting aspect is rather pointless since it's apparent he cares little about information they present rather other than "does it affirm my beliefs" after we got into a discussion when the Fox News "poor people have refridgerators" segment was aired.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

pangstrom posted:

I would bet that the main reason we know a dummy like Hannity's name at all has to do with him being super competitive.

I think that's how he got in huge position to be the Sean Hannity we all know and mock here. Before he made it to NY and later, national he was a hustlin' dude. He would do shows in Atlanta from the litteral projects. Once he made it to NY, and the show went national the job description changed- he became a pitch man, and a pretty good one during the Bush years. Kind of like the Levin deal mentioned earlier, the right wing (foundations, think tanks like heritage etc,) funnel a TON of money into these shows as walking talking ads for the cause. The right wing machine keeps a pretty stacked lineup-the nutters to rile up the mob during down times, and the more respectable lot like Hannity and a number of right wing "thinkers" to promote the GOP when they're in power. It's not really surprising Hannnity is having a tough go of it since the movement doesn't really have any sort of unified front or message these days, he's got nothing to push. If anything, it's a good sign if he decides to go full on RWNJ since he'd only do that if he thought his usual meal tickets weren't coming back.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

joeburz posted:

Is there anything on the right wing media side that even approaches the level of journalism and significant reporting you can see on Maddow's show, as well as a few others on MSNBC?
TBH, Chris Wallace is probably the least bad if we're talking about Fox News exclusively. Shep Smith has moments of clarity from time to time too, and it's kind of funny to watch when he does.

E; Case in point, Shep Smith on waterboarding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG2VF4a0LWs

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

joeburz posted:

Is there anything on the right wing media side that even approaches the level of journalism and significant reporting you can see on Maddow's show, as well as a few others on MSNBC?
The only outlet I have seen that doesn't just repeat the poo poo Roger Ailes sends out from his doom bunker at :foxnews: would be InfoWars, but it is run by a nutcase. Kidding aside though, every now and then I see a well reasoned article pop up on The American Conservative (e.g. Would Someone Just Shut That Pope Up?).

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

NatasDog posted:

TBH, Chris Wallace is probably the least bad if we're talking about Fox News exclusively. Shep Smith has moments of clarity from time to time too, and it's kind of funny to watch when he does.

E; Case in point, Shep Smith on waterboarding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG2VF4a0LWs

Isn't Shep being pushed out of the primetime shows towards the generic news platform?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Shep Smith may be a secret liberal and every once in a while the mask just slips. I mean he was never really that much of an "opinion" guy anyways, was he? Most of the time I see him he's just sitting there reading whatever passes for news at Fox.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like Shep Smith may be a secret liberal and every once in a while the mask just slips. I mean he was never really that much of an "opinion" guy anyways, was he? Most of the time I see him he's just sitting there reading whatever passes for news at Fox.

He's also (allegedly) gay.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/10/29/interrupt-program-announce-yawn-shepard-smith-gay/

He's taken Santorum to task before over his comments before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6SAfvtuzhk

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

My point though with that Maddow comment was that, even if you're assuming some level of bias inherent in a political reporting show, there is a palpable difference in the amount of thorough investigation regardless of political leaning. It may very well be that such methodical reporting is ultimately unnecessary for the viewership that Fox targets, but I would expect at least someone in that conservative arena to push that angle to reach younger conservatives that are looking for numbers more than emotive pleas. I'm not sure if it exists and I simply am not noticing or there is just no place in right wing media due to target audience or lack of evidence-supported ideals to highly in media via thorough reporting.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Sephyr posted:

He's probably feeling he has to up his game after a few stations dropped him for Michael Savage.

If only that was what happened here in Seattle.

770AM dropped Hannity, and gave Ben Shapiro his own local show from 3-6pm.

It's horrendously bad.

A co-worker called it "The Straw Man Show."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Stuff about Hannity

That's what I meant by post a few slots up and someone else hit on it.

Hannity could quit working right now and live a happy life, raise a few kids, live wherever he wants, marry whoever he wants (or not get married) and never have to do gently caress all for the rest of his life, but He Dropped a Slot! So there must be communism and fascism and poo poo or something because now he's "Number FOUR!"

I remember a long time ago someone posted something on a board I've long since abandoned and which had nothing at all to do with politics. I think it was a Prince website, believe it or not. But she wrote that people gauge their happiness and satisfaction not on what makes them happy but around what makes them happier than other people. Something like that. She was right.

It's not enough to have a nice house in a nice neighborhood, a motorcycle, a cool car, enough money to live a comfortable life until your death or whatever. For a lot of people (most of them capitalist conservative Republicans) your life has to be better than everyone else's.

It's a lot like the business card battle in American Psycho where all their cards looked the same but some were on 'bone' and some were on 'ivory'. Some were embossed and some weren't. Some were in this font and others in that font but every card in the pile was the same and all those pricks were already rich enough to do whatever they wanted to do anyway.

poo poo. Sorry for the long post/rant.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
How could we just leave Hannity standing, alone, in a ratings world that's so cold?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Intel&Sebastian posted:

How could we just leave Hannity standing, alone, in a ratings world that's so cold?

Maybe he's just too Ayn Rand-ing.

...Oh, I don't know.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He wants to repeeeeeeeeal ACA, the kind you buy at the online marketplace store

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SnakePlissken posted:

Maybe he's just too Ayn Rand-ing.

Maybe there's no global warming: it's cold.

e: this is what it sounds like when the smug lie

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 14, 2014

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Pixelboy posted:

If only that was what happened here in Seattle.

770AM dropped Hannity, and gave Ben Shapiro his own local show from 3-6pm.

It's horrendously bad.

A co-worker called it "The Straw Man Show."

I gotta check that out sometime. I'm still having a hard time envisioning a future where the Li'l Breitbarts and Crowder and O'Keefe are elder statesmen of the GOP media. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out if anyone actually LIKES Jonah Goldberg, Erick Erickson, and their previous generation; I can't picture hard-rear end lie-down-in-the-street-and-die grandpa types thinking any of these people are any more respectable than "Pajama Boy." You need to at least be a handsy former CEO or war criminal or something!

But yeah, you got a raw deal if you got that instead of Savage. He's got most of the listenability of Limbaugh (if you can stand that kind of thing in the first place) but it's permeated by his resentment of other radio hosts, the modern era, and his own bi-curious beatnik ethnobotanist past.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

Isn't Shep being pushed out of the primetime shows towards the generic news platform?

What happened to the giant ipad news deck battle bridge? When did Fox quietly kill that terrible idea?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

More "Roger Ailes is an inhuman racist piece of poo poo" news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwI2ZKb0jRE

And meanwhile, in "Roger Ailes is a perverted sack of filth" news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhHLBVRhJY

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 15, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What happened to the giant ipad news deck battle bridge? When did Fox quietly kill that terrible idea?

He still has the giant ipads, but that show is at 3pm instead of his previous 7pm Fox Report show times.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

That's what I meant by post a few slots up and someone else hit on it.

Hannity could quit working right now and live a happy life, raise a few kids, live wherever he wants, marry whoever he wants (or not get married) and never have to do gently caress all for the rest of his life, but He Dropped a Slot! So there must be communism and fascism and poo poo or something because now he's "Number FOUR!"

I remember a long time ago someone posted something on a board I've long since abandoned and which had nothing at all to do with politics. I think it was a Prince website, believe it or not. But she wrote that people gauge their happiness and satisfaction not on what makes them happy but around what makes them happier than other people. Something like that. She was right.

It's not enough to have a nice house in a nice neighborhood, a motorcycle, a cool car, enough money to live a comfortable life until your death or whatever. For a lot of people (most of them capitalist conservative Republicans) your life has to be better than everyone else's.

It's a lot like the business card battle in American Psycho where all their cards looked the same but some were on 'bone' and some were on 'ivory'. Some were embossed and some weren't. Some were in this font and others in that font but every card in the pile was the same and all those pricks were already rich enough to do whatever they wanted to do anyway.

poo poo. Sorry for the long post/rant.
There's the oft-posted poll about how people would rather make less money so long as it meant making more than a neighbor. I dunno how legit that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There's also the common thing about how money does nothing for happiness after you've reached a point where you can comfortably satisfy all needs and weather any sort of modest problems. I also remember from somewhere about psychiatrists saying that the super-rich have some unhealthy obsession with accumulating more wealth to the point where you could call it a sickness. However, we live in a country that fetishizes wealth accumulation as the End All Goal of the American Dream. Woe to anyone that dared to go on TV and state that there might be something wrong with you if you feel the need to get more money after you already have gotten more than you can possibly spend in your lifetime. Communist!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Rorus Raz posted:

I also remember from somewhere about psychiatrists saying that the super-rich have some unhealthy obsession with accumulating more wealth to the point where you could call it a sickness.

I'm no doctor but find me a person who actively collected multiple millions of anything and still felt compelled to keep collecting and I'd bet you good money they're not right in the head.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Production posted:

But yeah, you got a raw deal if you got that instead of Savage. He's got most of the listenability of Limbaugh (if you can stand that kind of thing in the first place) but it's permeated by his resentment of other radio hosts, the modern era, and his own bi-curious beatnik ethnobotanist past.

One of the other wingnut stations in Seattle has Levin in the same time slot, so I can at least listen to him howling at the moon instead.

Shapiro doesn't take callers, yet... but when he does, we'll be sure to ask him about either Friends of Hamas, or if he still thinks "Hitler was a left winger."

If KTTH wanted a new talking head, they could have at least gone for one who isn't damaged goods. He really does drag down the other talking heads lineup at KTTH, who are at least somewhat reasonable and balanced in their punditry (David Boze and Michael Medved).

Edit: Mad props to KTTH for doing their part to lower the level of discourse in this country.

Pixelboy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 15, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

There's the oft-posted poll about how people would rather make less money so long as it meant making more than a neighbor. I dunno how legit that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There's also the common thing about how money does nothing for happiness after you've reached a point where you can comfortably satisfy all needs and weather any sort of modest problems. I also remember from somewhere about psychiatrists saying that the super-rich have some unhealthy obsession with accumulating more wealth to the point where you could call it a sickness. However, we live in a country that fetishizes wealth accumulation as the End All Goal of the American Dream. Woe to anyone that dared to go on TV and state that there might be something wrong with you if you feel the need to get more money after you already have gotten more than you can possibly spend in your lifetime. Communist!

That's the nature of the problem, really. It's a competition to be The Guy with the Most Toys. Somebody that has more money and stuff is better than you by default so you must strive to have more. It's why consumerism to the level we're at is insane. Keeping up with the Joneses is no longer enough; now we all want to be the Joneses. If you can force everybody around you into a situation where they have less than you no matter what they do this is a win. Who cares if you had to downgrade to a leaky trailer and eat nothing but beans to do it, the people around you are living in shacks and starving. That's a win!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Well, Heritage and WSJ are putting out their 2014 Index of Economic Freedom report

Heritage posted:

Would you want to live in a country that is losing freedom?

How about a country that has lost ground in property rights and become more corrupt?

If you’re an American, you’re living there.

The 20th anniversary edition of the Index of Economic Freedom reveals that the United States has dropped out of the top 10 freest economies in the world.

When President Obama took office, the U.S. was ranked 6th. Now it is 12th.

If you want to laugh heartily, check out the methodology for a lot of their values. Somehow they have redefined "quantitative" to mean "whatever we feel like".

quote:

Over the 20-year history of the Index, the U.S.’s economic freedom has fluctuated significantly. During the first 10 years, its score rose gradually, and it joined the ranks of the economically “free” in 2006. Since then, it has suffered a dramatic decline of almost 6 points, with particularly large losses in property rights, freedom from corruption, and control of government spending. The U.S. is the only country to have recorded a loss of economic freedom each of the past seven years.

If only we as free as we were in 2006, those were the days...

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

joeburz posted:

Well, Heritage and WSJ are putting out their 2014 Index of Economic Freedom report

If you want to laugh heartily, check out the methodology for a lot of their values. Somehow they have redefined "quantitative" to mean "whatever we feel like".

So we're going to see Heritage push lots of policies that are law in Australia and Canada now, right? :haw:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joeburz posted:

Hmmm...

Horrible Assholes posted:

Over the 20-year history of the Index, the U.S.’s economic freedom has fluctuated significantly. During the first 10 years, its score rose gradually, and it joined the ranks of the economically “free” in 2006. Since then, it has suffered a dramatic decline of almost 6 points, with particularly large losses in property rights, freedom from corruption, and control of government spending. The U.S. is the only country to have recorded a loss of economic freedom each of the past seven years.

So, our economic freedom was increasing every year up until the Democrats took power in 2006...then government spending made us unfree.

Not the government spending of $2 trillion on a couple of unfunded wars, of course. Some other spending, presumably, that Democrats started doing. Which was...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hong Kong is No. 1? loving seriously.

And not to dump on Ireland at No. 9 but I don't have a real strong desire to live on some shithole sheep farm in the Ring of Kerry.