Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

This is child abuse. No one should ever drink soju.

Soju is good poo poo, what are you talking about

e: oh christ, new page

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Apparently there is a Szekely party, but they're not a member of the EFA, because they're more conservative than the EFA parties.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 18, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The only parties with seats in the EP are Flanders (New Flemish Alliance), Catalonia (Republican Left of Catalonia), Scotland (SNP), Basque (Basque Country Gather), Valencia (Valencian Nationalist Bloc), and Wales (Plaid Cymru). However these are generally only the left wing separatist movements.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Frostwerks posted:

What is going down in Denmark, looks a mess.

Probably partially due to being the gently caress capital for European royalty for a while.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When are we getting our independent Catalonia?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

cheerfullydrab posted:

When are we getting our independent Catalonia?

Not in the near future, considering that the upcoming referendum was ruled to be unconstitutional and it also lacks major support in the Congress of Deputies.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

King Hong Kong posted:

Not in the near future, considering that the upcoming referendum was ruled to be unconstitutional and it also lacks major support in the Congress of Deputies.

This is wrong. The Catalan regional government has set a referendum date in November and is making preparations. Polls show a very large lead for independence. The Spanish government will literally have to march in with the national police and shut down the polls if they plan to enforce their declaration that it is illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_self-determination_referendum

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Soju, pear cider, margaritas.

Your kid sounds annoying as gently caress.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Golbez posted:

Surprised no representation from Northern Ireland on there.

Sinn Féin is a member of the European United Left–Nordic Green Left.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This is wrong. The Catalan regional government has set a referendum date in November and is making preparations. Polls show a very large lead for independence. The Spanish government will literally have to march in with the national police and shut down the polls if they plan to enforce their declaration that it is illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_self-determination_referendum

I did not deny that a vote would happen or even that a majority of malcontented Catalans support independence, I denied that it would have any effect because the Spanish government and courts have not provided the referendum with the legal legitimacy requisite for it to succeed in its aim.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ekuNNN posted:

Nations and Regions of the European Free Alliance, a party in the European parliament consisting of separatist parties.

Why aren't the Basques represented on this map?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Euskal Herria" is Basque for "Basque Country".

Golbez fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 18, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They are—Euskal Herria.

e:f,b.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They are.

e: beaten beaten

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

King Hong Kong posted:

I did not deny that a vote would happen or even that a majority of malcontented Catalans support independence, I denied that it would have any effect because the Spanish government and courts have not provided the referendum with the legal legitimacy requisite for it to succeed in its aim.

Do you seriously think theyre going to march in, shut down the polls and arrest the leaders of Catalonia for holding it? Unless that happens, the referendum is going to go through and if it's yes the regional government is going to straight up declare independence.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Do you seriously think theyre going to march in, shut down the polls and arrest the leaders of Catalonia for holding it? Unless that happens, the referendum is going to go through and if it's yes the regional government is going to straight up declare independence.

At this point in time, I doubt that the police will march in and arrest everyone involved, but do you actually think that Cataluña will become an independent state as a result of the referendum? The independence of a state is not usually gained by its mere declaration. In the case of Cataluña, the upcoming referendum has roughly equal legitimacy to the Venetian independence referendum held earlier this year and will not create a sovereign Catalan state.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

King Hong Kong posted:

At this point in time, I doubt that the police will march in and arrest everyone involved, but do you actually think that Cataluña will become an independent state as a result of the referendum? The independence of a state is not usually gained by its mere declaration. In the case of Cataluña, the upcoming referendum has roughly equal legitimacy to the Venetian independence referendum held earlier this year and will not create a sovereign Catalan state.

The Venetian "referendum" was a poll on a website, whereas the Catalan referendum is going to be an official vote throughout the region operated and recognized by the Parliament of Catalonia. The Spanish government will have to straight up dissolve the Parliament.

Catalan municipalities that have declared support for independence:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pakled posted:

So the Germans in Denmark who want to join Germany get along with the Danes in Germany who want to join Denmark? Those would be some pretty messy borders. :v:
National identification in the Duchies was a bit weird, and probably still is to this day. Being ruled as separate entities within the Oldenburg Empire, and the HRE's structure obviously protecting regional cultures within Germany, nationality there was more of a sliding scale with more of a focus on a common identity across languages than a strictly binary language-based nationalism. You could have Germans who mostly spoke Danish in everyday life, and Danes speaking mostly German (the latter probably being more common, given German's importance), and bilingualism was pretty much the rule I believe.

Obviously this unity was dealt a blow with the rise of nationalism in the middle of the 19th century, when nationalists from Denmark and Germany made it a choice between one or the other, and following Denmark's defeat, repressive Prussian policies saw a lot of Danes leave or assimilate more fully into the German side of their identity. Then following WW1, a referendum was held to decide the new border (instead of Denmark just grabbing it all like the Entente wanted), which put the majority Danish Flensborg on the German side and the majority German Tonder on the Danish side, since the economic interconnectedness of the regions were considered too. (Flensborg's adjoining rural areas being largely German and vice versa for Tonder.)

Following WW2, the arrival of Germans from the east, and the realization it wasn't cool being German anymore, made a bunch of Germans in the remaining Schleswig start identifying as Danes once more, which made some Danish politicians clamor for a new plebiscite. The surge didn't hold though, at least not completely, but it did grow the Danish-identifying population fourfold in the region. The Copenhagen-Bonn declaration in 1955 where the two countries promised to uphold minority rights in the region probably also helped reduce whatever unrest might have existed.

Anyway, I don't believe there's really a demand for joining either country, it's more about autonomy to protect the characteristics of the special Danish-German culture in the region and minority rights in general. (Note. The South Schleswig Voter Federation also represents Frisians.) I have family in the region, and not once have a heard Danes mutter about joining Denmark, the focus has always been autonomy, minority rights, and creating a sense of community. I assume the same is true for the Germans north of the border.

Incidentally, the old Duchy of Schleswig has sorta been revived in the form of the Euroregion Sønderjylland–Schleswig, which nearly encompasses the entire territory of the former duchy, and which focuses on essentially the old Danish-German cultural intermingling and trade which existed before nationalism hosed it all up.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The Venetian "referendum" was a poll on a website, whereas the Catalan referendum is going to be an official vote throughout the region operated and recognized by the Parliament of Catalonia. The Spanish government will have to straight up dissolve the Parliament.

Catalan municipalities that have declared support for independence:

It will not be recognized by Spain, however, which is of the essence.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

King Hong Kong posted:

It will not be recognized by Spain, however, which is of the essence.
Then what's the rest of Spain going to do about it? What kind of political will exists for which solutions?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Nations and Regions of the European Free Alliance, a party in the European parliament consisting of separatist parties.

Nantes is the capital of Brittany :colbert:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Then what's the rest of Spain going to do about it? What kind of political will exists for which solutions?

I don't intend to turn this thread into a Spanish politics thread, but at this point, the issue of the referendum is again before the courts although the court previously ruled against a similar referendum. Meanwhile, in Cataluña, the CiU, the party in government, and the President of the Generalitat have begun to show signs that they might in fact back off the referendum promise if the courts rule against its constitutionality.

Even if the CiU does not back off its pledge, the political will seems to exist in Madrid to stop Catalan independence and perhaps even the referendum itself since the government has everything to lose.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

There are some areas in Schleswig-Holstein where up into the 20th century it was common to be knowledgeable in up to five languages: low German, standard German, Frisian, standard danish and "Søderjysk" (I believe that's how it's spelled), a variant of danish spoken in the south of today's country.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
re: Denmark chat

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

This summer I drove through Schleswig-Holstein on the way to Norway, and I was intrigued by the fact that so many place names in the area clearly had Danish roots. Incidentally, the name 'Flensburg' tickles my funnybone, since in Dutch the word 'flens' is a type of little pancake.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The only parties with seats in the EP are Flanders (New Flemish Alliance), Catalonia (Republican Left of Catalonia), Scotland (SNP), Basque (Basque Country Gather), Valencia (Valencian Nationalist Bloc), and Wales (Plaid Cymru). However these are generally only the left wing separatist movements.

The New Flemish Alliance is not left-wing and has already left this bloc.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

the jizz taxi posted:

This summer I drove through Schleswig-Holstein on the way to Norway, and I was intrigued by the fact that so many place names in the area clearly had Danish roots. Incidentally, the name 'Flensburg' tickles my funnybone, since in Dutch the word 'flens' is a type of little pancake.

what, no jokes about plensburg because it seems to be raining there all the time?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Pakled posted:

So the Germans in Denmark who want to join Germany get along with the Danes in Germany who want to join Denmark? Those would be some pretty messy borders. :v:

They do, because they aren't really separatist parties, just a protect the rights of the respective minority kind of thing.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

the jizz taxi posted:

in Dutch the word 'flens' is a type of little pancake.

In Swedish, "flensost" means smegma. :eng101:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Konec Hry posted:

In Swedish, "flensost" means smegma. :eng101:

Interesting, I suppose 'ost' is 'cheese' as in Norwegian, right? Then Belgian Dutch (I don't know if the word is used in the Netherlands) uses a very similar word for smegm, namelijk 'piemelkaas'.

IndustrialApe posted:

what, no jokes about plensburg because it seems to be raining there all the time?

I wouldn't really notice tbh, Belgium has about the same climate.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Good use of color scale...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mu Cow posted:

Good use of color scale...

Also states are an odd unit of resolution there.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ekuNNN posted:

What makes the striped regions different?

And yeah, most of those regions aren't actually represented in the European Parliament.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A map of people who already know where the grocery store is, thank you.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

A map of people who already know where the grocery store is, thank you.

That's not about "people searching for grocery stores/bars", that's about Google Maps listings of bars and grocery stores in the area. It's weirdly-phrased.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

System Metternich posted:

There are some areas in Schleswig-Holstein where up into the 20th century it was common to be knowledgeable in up to five languages: low German, standard German, Frisian, standard danish and "Søderjysk" (I believe that's how it's spelled), a variant of danish spoken in the south of today's country.
Sønderjydsk (or Synnejysk in Sønderjydsk), but otherwise I believe you're right. It's not strange then that people might have pretty fluid ideas about identity, when they probably used different languages all the time. (And likely mixed them too, if the Danes I know in Germany are anything to go by.)

I remember stumbling on some German guy writing about this. He had always been really mad about there being no plebiscites in other areas of Germany, but believed things had been done in an extraordinarily fair way on the Danish-German border. The article/blog post he had written was the result of seeing that map, and realizing everything he had been taught was a lie! It was not a fair border, but in fact a historical crime of the highest order.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I remember stumbling on some German guy writing about this. He had always been really mad about there being no plebiscites in other areas of Germany, but believed things had been done in an extraordinarily fair way on the Danish-German border. The article/blog post he had written was the result of seeing that map, and realizing everything he had been taught was a lie! It was not a fair border, but in fact a historical crime of the highest order.

I'm guessing he's not a member of the "pretty borders" faction.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mu Cow posted:

I'm guessing he's not a member of the "pretty borders" faction.
That "pretty borders" have come to just mean straight borders is a historical crime in itself. :colbert:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That "pretty borders" have come to just mean straight borders is a historical crime in itself. :colbert:

#gayborders2k14

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Freudian posted:

#gayborders2k14
:vuvu::vuvu:
Legality of homosexuality. Dark blue is full rights including equal marriage and yellow through dark red are various degrees of poo poo culminating in capital punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Actually Schleswig-Holstein belongs to Russia, because Peter III, emperor of Russia was the duke of that land before becoming emperor but those pesky Danes stole it.