Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oz Fox posted:

In a bit of a pickle - I need to get a $30k line of credit, and have a cosigner. Wells fargo won't touch it, because there are a couple bogus outstanding accounts on my Experian score (which I have since gotten resolved but they tell me will take 6 months to affect my score). I need to get this money squared away pronto, so I need to find a bank that will run everything on one of the other bureaus (There's like a 175 point discrepancy between them and Experian) to smooth things out. My cosigner has a score over 800. Any leads? I'm in California.

Since your co-signer is on the hook anyways, they could just take out the loan themselves and give it to you while you repay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

baquerd posted:

Since your co-signer is on the hook anyways, they could just take out the loan themselves and give it to you while you repay them.

This is the option of last resort, however I'd prefer something with my name on it to help build my FICO.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Take home of $2700/month. Wants to trade in his Civic payment ($407/month) for Silverado lease ($330/month). Also lists an inherited boat as an investment, despite costing him $800/year in maintenance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3de3lk/thoughts_on_trading_in_my_honda_civic_for_a_chevy/

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$800 a year in maintenance isn't so bad, certainly not worse than the average house, but $400+/mo for a goddamn civic is just hilarious

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Well he must be contributing over 5% of his paycheck to his TSP to receive the 5% match, so at least that's a point in his favor.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Hahaha he has honda civic equity! One post recommends that if he loses his job he could sell it and buy a bike. However with $13,700 left on the loan for it I don't see that happening.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Hahaha he has honda civic equity! One post recommends that if he loses his job he could sell it and buy a bike. However with $13,700 left on the loan for it I don't see that happening.

That was me and it was hyperbole. He's not upside down on his loan, so if he had to he could make ends meet by selling the Civic and purchasing some other means of transportation, while if he had a lease and lost his job he could turn in his lease and have jack poo poo in return.

It wasn't a "good job, civic equity!" post, it was a "leases are poo poo, don't lease" post.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Yep. That's why it's so funny. He's as dumb as poo poo with the leases. "The best deal I could get was $300+ per month for 39 months." The best deal for the car dealership.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i swear i'm going to have a loving conniption

friend posted:

Sure, for [my name] or for someone else with a budget, it may be immature to eat "an expensive dinner" in comparison to the rest of the world. But for me,

context: I'm going through someone's personal finances with them and when I bring up $2000/month in just restaurants and alcohol it starts to go downhill

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aliquid posted:

$2000/month in just restaurants and alcohol it starts to go downhill

:stare:

Even at the peak of my eating-and-drinking-out-almost-every-day phase I didn't get anywhere near that much. Not even half. In an expensive city. Good loving god. Steaks, caviar, and cocktails every night?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guinness posted:

:stare:

Even at the peak of my eating-and-drinking-out-almost-every-day phase I didn't get anywhere near that much. Not even half. In an expensive city. Good loving god. Steaks, caviar, and cocktails every night?

Manhattan, "being seen".

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Aliquid posted:

context: I'm going through someone's personal finances with them and when I bring up $2000/month in just restaurants and alcohol it starts to go downhill

Thats like $65/day, or $22/meal (assuming 3 meals a day).

Either it's a REALLY loving expensive restaurant once a week, or eating at "nice" restaurants every day.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rudager posted:

Thats like $65/day, or $22/meal (assuming 3 meals a day).

Either it's a REALLY loving expensive restaurant once a week, or eating at "nice" restaurants every day.

$10 on breakfast, $20 on lunch, $35 on dinner isn't that hard to do. Hell, some companies have per diems more than $65 for traveling.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Makes me think of my friend who spends all his spare money on drinking crappy beer (he doesn't have a lot of money). He doesn't realise that it also takes up a lot of his time and affects his relationships with many people. He knows it but mostly doesn't want to deal with it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Recently the local gas station in my area installed tire air pump that doesn't take coins but instead uses credit cards. There are other service stations around with free air pumps. Knowing that there are people who have actually financed the air we breathe drive on is absurdly BWM.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Recently the local gas station in my area installed tire air pump that doesn't take coins but instead uses credit cards. There are other service stations around with free air pumps. Knowing that there are people who have actually financed the air we breathe drive on is absurdly BWM.

I didn't figure out until I was about 30 years old that I could buy a small $25 pump from home depot that would be just fine to fill my car tires with.

For some reason I always assumed you needed a much bigger/more expensive compressor. I felt pretty dumb for going to gas stations for like all of my 20's to get air.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Seriously, they all used to be a free service until 5~ years ago

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Aliquid posted:

Post the whole conversation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Post the whole conversation

she got suuuuper personal so allow me to cherry-pick, anything in brackets is mine

quote:

Nah, I'm buying some stocks today and planning a LI beach bbq party. Hate me more.

quote:

Am I the only one who is confused here? You are beyond 30. I work with 27 year olds who already own their houses that's not their parents. Some of them even have kids. I know not everyone's life directions are the same, but have you done anything since 2010 [when my wife left me]?

Don't blame me if all I see here is just all talk about the past, angry politics and nothing else.

quote:

My friends were disadvantage from immigrant backgrounds and worked their way up to be where they are. Their life goals was to buy a car and house in their mid-twenties - early thirties, nothing else. So no, it's not entirely being disingenuous or being massively ignorant when I hear their success stories and choosing not to borrow from their future when they can take care of that early on. And for the most part, I agree with them.

Okay, that's cool and all, and while commendable ^those are things I'm not interested in accomplishing and won't be exposed to doing because at 25, 30, or 35 I would not need to, or want to. Point is, with everything else in life, where DOES ALL OF THAT lead you now? Yeah, it's cool you rode a bike across cartel territory alone, I guess [referencing this, fuckin' ouch]?

If you wanted to know specifics, I let someone else, my fiance, handle [the stock transaction]. I work and make the bank. :rolleyes:

quote:

Personally, I don't find pride to disclose struggles so casually or revel in poverty. That in itself is just a concept to me I can't relate to because I'm careful as to how it operates a crutch or an excuse to laziness.

quote:

Sure, for [my name] or for someone else with a budget, it may be immature to eat "an expensive dinner" in comparison to the rest of the world. But for me, dinner with friends after a day of hard work and it's social benefits will always be better than wasting time by posting [on the internet].

If we're not friends, I'm not concerned about how a person lives their life. But if they are a friend whose complaints are frequent about their lack of financial mobility, or I see them doing something stupid instead of productive, I will be vocal about it.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 17, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

if they are a friend whose complaints are frequent about their lack of financial mobility...I will be vocal about it.

literally guillotine btw

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The conversation is really hard to follow, and I think you left the username in the third quote.

Are you helping this person and this person is attacking your life choices or something? I dunno, it's just snippets but this person clearly has some issues with their own self-image and just general stability. If I'm reading this right, the person should care more about finances, but needs to give fewer shits about how everyone else is living.

Edit: I'm still so confused. It's like meeting some alien from another planet. I can't process how a person like her thinks and/or behaves, at least in this small snippet of random quotes. Don't people just go to work, save some money, give a bit to charity, party here and there, and generally just spend a lot of time just chilling or thinking about things? And not sit there and evaluate everyone else's life as if they're some completely informed omnipresent being that knows every person's complete existence and also understands the relative advantages and disadvantages each person has? I assume most people are just not... crazy?

Edit Edit: "I make the bank" is the grossest part of new money/people who inherited money. No loving class. Go buy another lovely Lexus or SUV Porsche and convince yourself that you can spend your way into being a great person.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 17, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, sorry. It's not actually all that picked apart, the person is kinda all over the place.

We were discussing personal finance and budgeting as well as career trajectory; the person is an old acquaintance and we were catching up. She had a finance job in Manhattan and so I was asking her basic questions about the position when cracks started to show. I asked whether she meant "index funds" when she said "stocks" and then things went south. She got defensive and blamed my internet posting on a finance forum for life choices (I think?? but she was being a real poop before that). There are 2-3 others making cute comments about her quotes in the thread which have been removed for distilling the best quotes over maybe eight posts, which is why the conversation seems a little disjointed.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
One of my coworkers mentioned he had some "wedding stuff" to do this weekend and said they were sending out 177 invitations. How do you even get to 177 people to invite to your wedding? Assuming ~90 per person… I don't even know this many people. Apparently these 90 people include his entire family including the people he never talks to, his college buddies, his fraternity brothers… the sheer scale of this just boggles me.

Should I mention that he's in a one income household taking about 60-70k before taxes, just bought a brand new car for 25k+ despite constantly complaining about his crippling debts to anybody within earshot. And his fiancé wants a new car too. This was all brought up cause he was telling us about how he tried to sit down with his fiancé about wedding finances with ya know numbers but she didn't look at them and just kept saying it'll all work out. I also keep hearing him talking about getting credit card offers with low APRs pretty much every other week.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of my coworkers mentioned he had some "wedding stuff" to do this weekend and said they were sending out 177 invitations. How do you even get to 177 people to invite to your wedding? Assuming ~90 per person… I don't even know this many people. Apparently these 90 people include his entire family including the people he never talks to, his college buddies, his fraternity brothers… the sheer scale of this just boggles me.

I'm not the most social of people, but you'd be surprised how quickly you fill 177 seats when you invite all your extended family on both sides (with their +1's), both of your friends (more +1's), and then your close family will ask you to invite people (again, with their +1's).

April
Jul 3, 2006

Rudager posted:

I'm not the most social of people, but you'd be surprised how quickly you fill 177 seats when you invite all your extended family on both sides (with their +1's), both of your friends (more +1's), and then your close family will ask you to invite people (again, with their +1's).

But if you're sending out 177 invitations, wouldn't each invitation include a +1 or +family? So it's possible it's closer to 300-400 people, if I'm reading that right.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's incredibly easy:

Per person:

2 grandparents (2)
2 parents (2)
2 aunts/uncles, plus +1 (4)
2 siblings, plus +1 (4)
4 cousins you don't really like, plus +1 (8)
5 childhood friends, plus +1 (10)
5 university friends, plus +1 (10)

So that's already 40, not counting children. If you're from a family with a tradition for large number of siblings, this goes up exponentially. If you have a huge circle of friends, it adds up too.

Not saying it's not BWM, just saying that, unless you really keep it intimate, it adds up so fast.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If at least one side is Irish Catholic, you'll easily have 100+ just from that side.

For my upcoming wedding, we invited over 200. I'd rather have a smaller, cheaper wedding, but since my father in law is paying the bill(and that side is by far the larger one; hell, half of my aunts/uncles/cousins aren't invited because we just don't like them), you try winning that discussion.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 17, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Aliquid posted:

she got suuuuper personal so allow me to cherry-pick, anything in brackets is mine

I unironically think your bike tour was cool and I don't understand how anyone would try to own you with the fact that you did a 2,000 mile bike ride through Mexico (something 99% of people wouldn't even try, let alone complete) :psyduck:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Aliquid posted:

Why are you still talking to this rear end in a top hat at this point? This person doesn't deserve your attention or a second thought. Let her eat cat food in retirement and wish she had the $1.5MM+ she'd dropped in restaurants then.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Eloping to Jamaica for 2800 bucks for one week all-inclusive for both of you sure doesn't seem like such a bad idea now, DOES IT MOM?!?!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Eloping to Jamaica for 2800 bucks for one week all-inclusive for both of you sure doesn't seem like such a bad idea now, DOES IT MOM?!?!

I'm never going to get married and instead live alone in a secluded hut in the middle of Alaska just so I never heave to deal with my mom and wedding plans.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nail Rat posted:

If at least one side is Irish Catholic, you'll easily have 100+ just from that side.

For my upcoming wedding, we invited over 200. I'd rather have a smaller, cheaper wedding, but since my father in law is paying the bill(and that side is by far the larger one; hell, half of my aunts/uncles/cousins aren't invited because we just don't like them), you try winning that discussion.

Yep, I couldn't invite most of my friends to my wedding because I have just over 100 relatives that are first cousins or closer (I'm friends with some second cousins as well that didn't make the cut). Both sides of my family are farming oriented and 80% of the relatives live in state. Then factor in that I grew up and went to school within 150 miles of my current location and I could have invited 200 people myself, and I'm not even that socialble.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

Seriously, they all used to be a free service until 5~ years ago

Around here there is exactly one gas station chain that gives free air, QuickTrip. Everyone else charges. It's been that way for 20 years.

The sad part is, because QuickTrip provides free air, it's compressors get the most use, so they're the ones that are most likely busted or worn out. It sucks to be already low on air and actually leave the gas station with less pressure because all the nozzle did was release what little air I had.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Around here there is exactly one gas station chain that gives free air, QuickTrip. Everyone else charges. It's been that way for 20 years.

The sad part is, because QuickTrip provides free air, it's compressors get the most use, so they're the ones that are most likely busted or worn out. It sucks to be already low on air and actually leave the gas station with less pressure because all the nozzle did was release what little air I had.

Honestly I'd rather pay a dollar to use one of those fancy machines where you set the air pressure and it automatically stops pumping once you reach that point, instead of a free air pump where the nozzle is falling apart and makes lovely contact, with a built in air pressure gauge that doesn't actually work, so you're stuck swapping back and forth between the air and your own gauge.

A Gulf near my parent's place has free air, but I'm pretty sure it's the same setup they've had since I was a kid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Honestly I'd rather pay a dollar to use one of those fancy machines where you set the air pressure and it automatically stops pumping once you reach that point, instead of a free air pump where the nozzle is falling apart and makes lovely contact, with a built in air pressure gauge that doesn't actually work, so you're stuck swapping back and forth between the air and your own gauge.

A Gulf near my parent's place has free air, but I'm pretty sure it's the same setup they've had since I was a kid.

Man, half the pay pumps around here don't even have gauges let alone automatic settings.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

You guys are making me think I should be checking my tire pressure.... Something that I've probably done a total of three times in the last ten years. I don't think I've ever added air.

Do your tires just leak a lot?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Thesaurus posted:

You guys are making me think I should be checking my tire pressure.... Something that I've probably done a total of three times in the last ten years. I don't think I've ever added air.

Mechanics do it when you get your car serviced for anything.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If your car gets regularly serviced your mechanic will probably take care of it before it becomes an issue. I think it's generally recommended you check it once a month and you can get some marginal performance benefits if you regularly reinflate.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40022-12-Volt-Digital-Inflator/dp/B002ZBWKAU/ref=lp_155346011_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437144035&sr=1-4

And it is amazing. Definitely good with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

Thesaurus posted:

You've bought new tires in the last ten years, though, right? :stare:

• Locked thread