Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Dwarf Fortress thread used to be constantly and aggressively trolled by YCS nerds who thought (probably correctly) that DF players were easy marks. This was years ago, but conversely making fun of the things y'all are honestly asking about was a big part of it.

I didn't follow any of that drama back then, but if that really was years ago then maybe people should slowly start to assume a little good faith again on the part of outsiders who come here with questions? If the reactions to them on the last page are representative of an average day, then this thread might eventually end up like the actual Dwarf Fortress community that's been rightfully mocked here for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the forums equivalent of "it's just a prank, bro!!"

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It probably doesn't help that "the UI should be worked on" and "Toady should get whatever help he can" have been the consensus for nearly a decade now.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

scamtank posted:

Adding new reactions into an ongoing save might be technically possible with DFHack, but I can see enough moving parts in the ordeal that I don't even want to try.

However, altering existing ones is perfectly fine. I'm sure there's at least one glazing, jugmaking or some other sort of reaction that you won't miss, just rip out its guts and write a rock cheat in its place.

[REACTION:MAKE_CLAY_JUG]
[NAME:restore blocks to rocks]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:bricks:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bricks:NONE]
[SKILL:MASON]

There's a suggestion. Man, did I write this right? I'm feeling really rusty.

Your reaction works as intended, by the way! I think you saved my fortress, because now I can actually get that defensive bridge up. Thanks again! :shittydog:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Moddington posted:

It probably doesn't help that "the UI should be worked on" and "Toady should get whatever help he can" have been the consensus for nearly a decade now.

Sadly the answers continue to be "Its not fun" and "Its MY project", respectively.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leal posted:

Sadly the answers continue to be "Its not fun" and "Its MY project", respectively.

I wish Toady realized he could get people to help the game and still reatin 100% control over the game and its design

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Toady has gotten help with things before and I'm sure he will again. He's focused on features rather than smoothing over rough spots in gameplay and UI, and I don't think there's much on this planet that can dissuade him.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The latest example is the 64bit switch. The test release thread was half feedback and half other people helping him code.

:shittydog:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Poster cancels posting: interrupted by posting

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Gimmick Account posted:

Yeah, seriously - What the gently caress is going on here with this sudden hostile reaction to very normal and sensible requests? Wishing for an intuitive UI is not 'making GBS threads up the thread', and it's also not an attempt to insult your great idol.

Stupid rear end in a top hat nerds.

While the tone of my post came off a little spergier than intended, I still believe that anyone who comes in and complains "df would be great if not for the ui" can a) gently caress right off and stop being a baby and b) come back and tell us what the magical fix should be.

A good portion of these people are put off by the lack of mouse controls and if this game we e strictly mouse control it would be nigh unplayable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well, I mean, if StarCraft were "strictly mouse control" it would be unplayable too. It's kind of a false dichotomy.

Dwarf Fortress is basically Dungeon Keeper (with multiple decades of feature creep) and DK was awesome with a mouse.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Adventure mode is impossible because:

Every monster is lol gently caress you

It is literally impossible to find a specific NPC in a town with a population above like 10

There also seems to be no way to actually take a quest. You just kinda ask for a place and go there independently. Thus the place you are trying to go is not marked in the Q menu as important and it is easy to forget where youre going

Also never had a person accept my requesr to go adventuring.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 23, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gibbo posted:

While the tone of my post came off a little spergier than intended, I still believe that anyone who comes in and complains "df would be great if not for the ui" can a) gently caress right off and stop being a baby and b) come back and tell us what the magical fix should be.

A good portion of these people are put off by the lack of mouse controls and if this game we e strictly mouse control it would be nigh unplayable.

Well one accessibility improvement might be to put in optional text boxes similar to the ones that explain instrument crafting for any complicated reaction, as well as in the building menu to explain the basic roles of each workshop and such. Text boxes for armor reactions that disclose the layer that the armor occupies, and handedness/edge type for weapons. More people than you would think are initially confused by all of the medieval terms and there's no reason to basically hide item properties in the wiki.

Also, until you watch people on youtube try to figure the game out unaided you don't realize that the basic flow of the game - build workshop for dwarves to make things that are used in other constructions - isn't explained anywhere. One guy went for hours unable to decipher why he couldn't build a bed, because "Bed needs bed" is an error message that only makes sense when the basic premise of dwarven industry makes sense to the player.

It's nothing big or revolutionary, but most of it simply doesn't seem like a problem to the folks who have been playing for years like most of us. It is, though, because these are the little details that get DF written off as impenetrable when you or I know that it isn't even that complicated to play beneath the seemingly disorganized UI.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Hope this advice can help you out if you're having trouble with adventure mode, Phi230.

Phi230 posted:

Every monster is lol gently caress you
If you're dying to every monster, it's probably either because:
A. Your character has terrible skills and can't attack properly.
or
B. You have terrible/no armor or weaponry to fight them.
For A, just start with a demigod adventurer. There really is no reason not to - trying to gain skills the safe way is boring as poo poo and the game is already brutal enough for it to not make a significant difference in difficulty.
For B, just visit some random village meadhall (They're usually big yellow squares away from the main village; try circling the outside of the settlement if you're having trouble finding them) and loot all the armor and weapons they have. While technically there is such a thing as theft in the game, it only applies to the shops in towns - if it doesn't have the $$ marks around their name, it's fair game.

Phi230 posted:

It is literally impossible to find a specific NPC in a town with a population above like 10
Yeah, the only help I can give you there is to just ignore people who tell you to look for a specific guy. If you're trying to find a guide or something, just keep asking people until you find someone who does know how to get there. If you need some more direction, try asking people with military professions. If you're trying to find a vampire or something, at least try accusing a bunch of people in a human town keep, since vampires tend to be in positions of power. If you can't find them in the keep, ignore it and look for something else to do.

Phi230 posted:

There also seems to be no way to actually take a quest. You just kinda ask for a place and go there independently. Thus the place you are trying to go is not marked in the Q menu as important and it is easy to forget where youre going
In the conversation screen after you've asked them for their problems, try asking for directions to the place they told you about. If it's a site based location, it'll appear on your map as a yellow star. You still need to go there though, so the only advice I can give you for that part is to just write down the name somewhere with a pen and paper (yeah yeah, using pen and paper for video games in TYOOL 2016) and then try to find it on your site list with the filter function.

Phi230 posted:

Also never had a person accept my requesr to go adventuring.
It's either because you're asking random peasants or your social awareness isn't high enough. In the former case, random nobodies don't have the equipment or training to be of any use anyway - again, try asking someone with a military profession like axeman or bowman; they always take the bait. You can find them in village meadhalls, or town taverns and forts. In the latter case, make sure to raise your social awareness to at least above average; the higher it is, the more people you can fit into your party. Otherwise, just kill beasts and make sure to tell people about it to raise your reputation, which is the other stat that effects party size.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you kind stranger. How do I raise things like social awareness?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

To me I think the primary interface problem is one of having multiple solutions to the same problem. The stocks menu, the stockpile menu, the trading menu, the construction material menu - they all give the basic function of "pick from a list of available items" in different ways with different control schemes. There's four different ways a 'building' can exist - workshops, zones, rooms designated from furniture, and now locations. There's a button for examining units, and one for examining building contents, and one for generally looking at things, all of which fit the function of "tell me what is on this spot". The game could benefit a lot just by unifying the processes that do the same basic thing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I mean even just being able to use the mouse without clicking would be great.

Just hover over a tile and ut functions as the examine

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

yeah, even in its limited state mousequery is pretty banger

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The only way to raise social awareness as an adventurer is to put points in it at character generation, as it's a mental attribute rather than a skill.

I know raising some skills can raise their associated attributes but I really have no idea how that would work in adventure mode.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Phi230 posted:

Thank you kind stranger. How do I raise things like social awareness?

Go outside

But yeah, you can only modify it at character creation. I think social skills help though? You can build those by just talking to NPCs a lot I think, but lol at doing that deliberately

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had no ambushers, thieves, baby-snatchers, or anything of the sort for almost four years, and my goblin neighbors showed up as 'At Peace' on the civ menu, so I got lulled into a false sense of security and neglected my defenses almost completely. Forgot to even link the gates up to levers. Ended up getting hit by an invasion of over 150 goblins in 254 with only six axedwarves to defend myself with. It was a loving slaughter. There is one dwarf somehow still alive but they're bound to find him eventually.

Also, the goblins left all the visiting bards, scholars, etc. completely unharmed and walked right past them, they're still hanging around the tavern and library reading my books, drinking my booze, and chatting while surrounded by the mutilated bodies of their former hosts.

e: New visitors keep arriving and the goblins patrolling the halls let them walk past. There's a lively scholarly debate going down in the blood-soaked library right now.

The mayor is somehow still alive, by himself, hiding in the depths of the mines. I may actually end up surviving this siege if he manages to hide until they get bored and go away.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 24, 2016

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Mister Bates posted:

I had no ambushers, thieves, baby-snatchers, or anything of the sort for almost four years, and my goblin neighbors showed up as 'At Peace' on the civ menu, so I got lulled into a false sense of security and neglected my defenses almost completely. Forgot to even link the gates up to levers. Ended up getting hit by an invasion of over 150 goblins in 254 with only six axedwarves to defend myself with. It was a loving slaughter. There is one dwarf somehow still alive but they're bound to find him eventually.

Also, the goblins left all the visiting bards, scholars, etc. completely unharmed and walked right past them, they're still hanging around the tavern and library reading my books, drinking my booze, and chatting while surrounded by the mutilated bodies of their former hosts.

e: New visitors keep arriving and the goblins patrolling the halls let them walk past. There's a lively scholarly debate going down in the blood-soaked library right now.

The mayor is somehow still alive, by himself, hiding in the depths of the mines. I may actually end up surviving this siege if he manages to hide until they get bored and go away.

Sounds like an inside job to me. If you do manage to survive the siege, you should run the fort as xenophobic and isolationist.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

There's a button for examining units, and one for examining building contents, and one for generally looking at things, all of which fit the function of "tell me what is on this spot". The game could benefit a lot just by unifying the processes that do the same basic thing.

You missed the button that selects the function of a building. Four ways of looking at the world. Perhaps one to many.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Traitor Bard Fort ended up eventually falling, the mayor had to come out of the catacombs for food and water after a while and got caught. I reclaimed it, and now all of the artifacts in the fort no longer count as artifacts. They're trade goods...which means I can sell them...for their full artifact value. I bought out the entire first caravan with a magnetite amulet.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So im reading an LP called Roomcarnage and I have a couple questions.

How do you dig like pits or chasms several z levels deep?

How do you order livestock/items thrown in said pit?

How do you lock yhe camera on specific objects/dwarfs/etc?

How do I get all my dwarves to move inside or all do yhe same job IE haul all the food inside

And how do I check weather? Time of day? The date?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 25, 2016

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Phi230 posted:

When you have miners, (d)esignate a large area as a c(h)annel. This will drop the terrain there one level with ramps on the side. Repeat this until you reach your desired depth, but remember that you will need a way for your miners to get back.

quote:

Des(i)gnate an activty zone next to the pit. One tile will do. (Q)uery this zone and designate it as a (p)it. Use the (P)it menu in this same screen to designate animals or prisoners to be thrown in. For items, designate another activity zone and designate it as a dump. When viewing the description of an item, press D to order it dumped. Mass dumping can be done from the (d)esignate menu.

quote:

When viewing a dwarf's description, press the (f)ollow key.

quote:

How do I get all my dwarves to move inside or all do yhe same job IE haul all the food inside
This requires the use of burrows, a somewhat complicated subsystem.

[/quote]

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Gnoman posted:

When you have miners, (d)esignate a large area as a c(h)annel. This will drop the terrain there one level with ramps on the side. Repeat this until you reach your desired depth, but remember that you will need a way for your miners to get back.

If you want an one tile hole what I like to do is make stairs then channel them starting from the top and work your way down. Make sure the miner is finished before you channel the next level down.

Here is the dwarffortress wiki page on burrows, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Burrow
I think they used a civilian alert option in the Roomcarnage lp.

Phi230 posted:

You can find the date in the (z) status in the top right. Also, the icon in the top right is the phase of the moon near the idling dwarf counter.

NextSundayA.D. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 25, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Phi230 posted:

So im reading an LP called Roomcarnage and I have a couple questions.

How do you read a wiki

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gibbo posted:

How do you read a wiki

No need to be a dick.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You should be able to build a wall in water from one z-level up. Like something that simulates just dumping in some rocks. That would make a lot of stuff a lot less annoying.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

You should be able to build a wall in water from one z-level up. Like something that simulates just dumping in some rocks. That would make a lot of stuff a lot less annoying.

Go try this in real life and report back on how well it works. It doesn't. This is why caisson exist.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My parent civilization was almost completely wiped out, and currently consists of my fortress and about 50 other dwarves, inhabiting a hillock, an almost completely abandoned dark pit, and a camp in the middle of nowhere. The 'mountainhome' (camp) has lost the ability to produce steel, and they have a grand total of one book, a lovely travel pamphlet about a random human hamlet written by a hack, which they produce and export dozens upon dozens of copies of. There's seriously like ten copies of this one book on the current caravan.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sure the Toady Solution would be to have the option to either use a shitload of logs to make pilings for a coffer dam that degrades after a season, or to use a shitload of steel to build a caisson.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

My parent civilization was almost completely wiped out, and currently consists of my fortress and about 50 other dwarves, inhabiting a hillock, an almost completely abandoned dark pit, and a camp in the middle of nowhere. The 'mountainhome' (camp) has lost the ability to produce steel, and they have a grand total of one book, a lovely travel pamphlet about a random human hamlet written by a hack, which they produce and export dozens upon dozens of copies of. There's seriously like ten copies of this one book on the current caravan.

Finally we are moving apace towards economic hellholes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Bates posted:

Wow, are you in my game? I don't know who, but someone in my world is doing the same thing. Both the human and dwarf caravans have tried to sell me copies of the same lovely book about some random human hamlet. Apparently it's a best seller.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can you turn off migrants entirely? I want to try my hand at a fort with the first 7 and whatever children they can produce. I've tried this in the past by tuning down max pop but you always get the first wave and I think it stops them from producing children.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

hailthefish posted:

I'm sure the Toady Solution would be to have the option to either use a shitload of logs to make pilings for a coffer dam that degrades after a season, or to use a shitload of steel to build a caisson.

Urist mcbridgebuilder is suffering from caisson sickness!!

The ears burst and blood flows!

The ability to drop a proper caisson would make aquifers less complete Bullshit. I know you can kind of do it with walls and pumps, but it would be a good thing to have on the Dwarven technology tree.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Go try this in real life and report back on how well it works. It doesn't. This is why caisson exist.

Then fuckin let me do that. poo poo is hosed.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Demiurge4 posted:

Can you turn off migrants entirely? I want to try my hand at a fort with the first 7 and whatever children they can produce. I've tried this in the past by tuning down max pop but you always get the first wave and I think it stops them from producing children.

Maybe if you put the strict population cap to 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Demiurge4 posted:

First 2 migrant waves are hardcoded, I thought. Masterwork has a 'hermit mode' though, that lets you play a fort with 1 character by spawning a new citizen and then killing the initial 7 dwarves, and there aren't any migrant waves after that, so I guess they must have found a way to stop them.