Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I called it a day in Arkham Asylum when I had to fight that Titan, and waves and waves of mooks, all in one small room in a sewer. I was 90 percent of the way through the game and I knew that the best parts were over. I hear that Arkham City is the best game in the series before they go downhill, but I'd like to know if Titans are still the worst.

Also, the gadgets seemed so contextual that you never use any in combat outside of the Batarang.

IMO

Asylum was a start and pretty basic but good to build on, City was great because it fleshed out the gameplay and added more options. Origins felt like a step back to me, especially since I went into a building (upon which the game saves) and started infinitely falling. Couldn't ever get that to unfuck. There were forum posts where people tried different things, like console codes, and nothing ever worked for me. Something like 90% completion, including Riddler stuff, all lost.

But I thought Knight was awesome. You have to hit a huge "I believe" button for things like Batman hitting people with his car into unconsciousness but flying around the city I really felt like Batman, especially just happening onto the Manbat sequence while flying around. Also most of the Batmobile stuff kind-of sucks, you git gud at it after awhile but it always feels shoehorned to me. At least you can leave and call the Batmobile whenever you want, never having to backtrack to find your car was a nice move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah I forgot about the part of anor londo with the two black knight greatbow snipers surrounding you on a narrow path surrounded by a death pit, thats some good :darksouls: design right there

Nuebot posted:

They're silver knights. This means they respawn.

why

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Apr 6, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Borderlands 2: Something was bothering me about Handsome Jack and I think I figured out what it is - guy is just a Mary Sue of villainy. He's a sadistic psychopath who also believes he's the good guy, who runs this galaxy-wide trillion-dollar empire yet also has time to belittle you personally every three minutes, and basically has every single thing in the main story happen as Part Of His Plan until the exact moment you actually get to shoot him. He might work better as a character if he wasn't all of those things at once, or if he was at least shown to be capable of mistakes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2: Something was bothering me about Handsome Jack and I think I figured out what it is - guy is just a Mary Sue of villainy. He's a sadistic psychopath who also believes he's the good guy, who runs this galaxy-wide trillion-dollar empire yet also has time to belittle you personally every three minutes, and basically has every single thing in the main story happen as Part Of His Plan until the exact moment you actually get to shoot him. He might work better as a character if he wasn't all of those things at once, or if he was at least shown to be capable of mistakes.

Well, he didn't kill every Claptrap, that's a big mistake

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BillmasterCozb posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the part of anor londo with the two black knight greatbow snipers surrounding you on a narrow path surrounded by a death pit, thats some good :darksouls: design right there

They're silver knights. This means they respawn.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Handsome Jack is a good character because he really makes the player want to put a bullet in his brain in a way few other videogame bad guys can manage, mostly because of all the stuff you mentioned.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just Cause 3 has some of the most severe framerate drops I've ever seen in any modern console game, this is a game designed around blowing poo poo up and causing chaos yet the moment you do the framerate dips to the low 10's easily or single digits, its terrible.

A shame cause the game is fun.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Just Cause 3 have side missions worth a drat? I've played the one JC2 save file for years and I've never bothered touching them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So bloodborne, it's apparently the souls fanbase's special baby. Except it does a lot of things that the regular souls games don't do. Like enemies hiding behind the corners with zero warning or way to see. It also goes way overboard on the type damage and weakness, I got an awesome hammer and it does way more damage than another weapon I had. Except only to like three enemies because everything else takes that much bonus damage from the saw. The load times and consumable farming just destroy the mood because while I'm hyped up to try this boss fight again, oh no now I have no healing items, no souls and it takes me forever to load any zones so I can grind up another twenty items, or more if I want to have a stockpile, to try again! And I dunno, it feels like the reverse of any other souls games where the level design is really cool but I have zero fun with the boss fights. Every arena is super cluttered and the camera gets obscured constantly, either by the bosses themselves or by all the level geometry, and the fights just have less impact because everything moves around like an over caffeinated squirrel, even the giant zombie beasts. There's one boss fight everyone kept telling me was the most awesome fight ever, it took place in a cemetary against a guy who was a hunter like your character and turned into a monster halfway through. I barely saw what was happening because the entire time my camera was just stuck in trees, and what few times it wasn't I just saw grey blobs moving against grey blobs with the occasional flash of light when something happened. It's like DBZ if you took all the saturation out.

Oh and his attacks could go clean through every physical object, like massive clusters of tombstones and all, but mine couldn't. So at one point he just kept hiding behind poo poo and hitting me through it because he had a spear or something and there was nothing I could really do but wait for him to stop, so I could hit him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The serrated/righteous damage difference doesn't matter all that much in Bloodborne. The Saw Cleaver is stronger than the Kirkhammer because it's a high DPS/low poise weapon, that's kind of its role. The Kirkhammer does tons of damage per hit to pretty much everything, but you have to actually hit with the head of the hammer and not the haft because that does a lot less damage.

Also compared to Dark Souls there's almost no weapon bonking in Bloodborne, that's a weird thing to bring up. The main way to cheese Gascoigne is to attack directly through the tombstones with a long-reach weapon, whereas if you ever tried that poo poo in Souls you would bonk forever and die without landing a single hit (think Royal Rat Vanguard).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does Just Cause 3 have side missions worth a drat? I've played the one JC2 save file for years and I've never bothered touching them.

Side missions is only races and gliding courses to unlock gear mods that make your abilities better, beyond that the game offers very little direction, actual story missions are rather sparse, most of the time you go to a base or a town, liberate it via destroying a bunch of poo poo then rinse, repeat till the sector is done.

Its a lot of fun to just wreck poo poo and use your wingsuit, like for real I don't even know why this game has cars when I can grapple, para glide or fly everywhere.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

They patched that in after the fact. Originally you had to do the whole thing in one go.

It's stuff like this which makes me super excited about playing Dark Souls 3 at launch - I've played the rest of the series long after they've been patched so I can't wait to see how unbalanced some areas are.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

The serrated/righteous damage difference doesn't matter all that much in Bloodborne. The Saw Cleaver is stronger than the Kirkhammer because it's a high DPS/low poise weapon, that's kind of its role. The Kirkhammer does tons of damage per hit to pretty much everything, but you have to actually hit with the head of the hammer and not the haft because that does a lot less damage.

I like the kirkhammer because it could stun him sometimes but other attacks he'd just plow through. It's weird.

I think I can narrow down my complaints about bloodborne to one specific thing that gets me the most though, everything else just adds to it. Everything has too much HP it seems to me. In this game I get a strong as hell new weapon, I pump all my stats into the murder stats and everything still takes three or more hits to kill except the dogs and crows who take one or two. In Dark Souls if I grab a zweihander, as long as I'm pumping STR I'll be killing most, if not every, enemy in two hits max. This is even more frustrating because you can't parry if you're using the big smashy weapons in bloodborne, nor can you really reliably backstab with how it works in this game. It just feels like despite how much it presses you towards being fast, dodgy and all that it slows everything down by making enemies take twice as much to kill as they should.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't even touch the DLC or the chalice dungeons if you think things have a lot of health

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Might be my playstyle but Assassin's Creed IV sure likes to give me tutorial missions on things I've been doing for hours at that point. "Edward, come look at this Mayan stele I found, I wonder if-" - "yeah you climb up and do some stuff and dig a hole, wanna see my Mayan stone collection?"

Either lock that stuff away until I get to the mission or just give me the context for how it works in the setting when I find my first one. I'm expecting a mission that teaches me about assassination missions any minute.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I find a lot of open world games are guilty of that, but it's probably because the alternative is to punish those who want to do side stuff early. You do all of activity A around the map only to unlock activity B and have to scour the map yet again, rather than just going to whatever nearest.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Might be my playstyle but Assassin's Creed IV sure likes to give me tutorial missions on things I've been doing for hours at that point. "Edward, come look at this Mayan stele I found, I wonder if-" - "yeah you climb up and do some stuff and dig a hole, wanna see my Mayan stone collection?"

Either lock that stuff away until I get to the mission or just give me the context for how it works in the setting when I find my first one. I'm expecting a mission that teaches me about assassination missions any minute.

All the non sailing content in that game goes from just meh to pretty poo poo anyway which is pretty weird for a game that was not supposed to be about that but there we are. Just rip out all the sailing, make it into a full game and I'll buy it even though Ubisoft has been more miss than hit for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morglon posted:

All the non sailing content in that game goes from just meh to pretty poo poo anyway which is pretty weird for a game that was not supposed to be about that but there we are. Just rip out all the sailing, make it into a full game and I'll buy it even though Ubisoft has been more miss than hit for a while.

Check out Rebel Galaxy. It's basically the ACIV ship combat, but in space and without boarding actions.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

So bloodborne, it's apparently the souls fanbase's special baby. Except it does a lot of things that the regular souls games don't do. Like enemies hiding behind the corners with zero warning or way to see.

Does it do it a lot? Demon's Souls definitely did that in a few areas (stonefang and some of boletaria), DS2 did in at least one area (SoFTS, anyway), and I'm not sure if DS1 did DS1 had the Lower Burg with the surprise dogs and the thieves, can't remember if there's more. A few snakemen in Sen's, probably.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Check out Rebel Galaxy. It's basically the ACIV ship combat, but in space and without boarding actions.

I didn't find them more than superficially similar, but Rebel Galaxy is a good game worth playing. Broadsides... in space!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think you'd like Dunkey's video detailing perfectly why the series sucks as a whole

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Gitro posted:

I didn't find them more than superficially similar, but Rebel Galaxy is a good game worth playing. Broadsides... in space!

Pretty much this but it just doesn't work as well in space and that game got boring fast. When I want what I believe space combat would look like I play Fractured Space, it has a ship that has tons of broadside cannons and not much else too. But yeah, need more sailing with the ocean and the boarding and the silly pirates singing songs.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The last patch for XCOM 2 is dragging the game down for me. It was to prepare for the release of the first DLC, Anarchy's Children which was basically just a barbie dress ups pack, but now my game is almost unplayable by an annoying bug where after a mission the camera gets stuck under your ship/base and all you can do is access the menu.

All signs atm point to mods being the culprit somehow (lot's of people getting the bug, but there doesn't seem to be any real pattern - just that they've all got at least 1 mod installed) and after the game being hyped up to be super mod ready and friendly, it's a real let down.

Love the game when it's working though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gitro posted:

Does it do it a lot? Demon's Souls definitely did that in a few areas (stonefang and some of boletaria), DS2 did in at least one area (SoFTS, anyway), and I'm not sure if DS1 did DS1 had the Lower Burg with the surprise dogs and the thieves, can't remember if there's more. A few snakemen in Sen's, probably.

Sen's was definitely the worst for it in Dark Souls, and Bloodborne basically feels like a whole game of sen's so far. There are just a ton of areas where if not for notes saying "beware ambush" or "enemy ahead" I would have zero idea there was something there. But I dunno, maybe I'm the broken one since I liked Dark Souls 2 enough to beat it more than any other souls game so far and even did a stupid no bonfire/death run for those invisible rings.

So to complain about a non-souls game; LBX. A 3DS game that's a remake of a PSP game that never came out in English apparently. It completely flew under my, and evidently most people's radar. It's basically a cross between Medabots and Custom Robo and it's pretty fun. Except for two niggling problems. One; you can't move and shoot unless you're running forward. I don't know why, maybe it's a bug because the game says you can move and shoot. Two; Guns are so over powered there's no real reason to ever use melee. Especially dual wielding pistols. You can fire off so many bullets in the time it takes just to get into melee range that the enemy is already dead in most battles. I'm enjoying it so far though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Sen's was definitely the worst for it in Dark Souls, and Bloodborne basically feels like a whole game of sen's so far. There are just a ton of areas where if not for notes saying "beware ambush" or "enemy ahead" I would have zero idea there was something there.

Maybe you should check your corners??

Make no mistake, I'm not a git gudder and am extremely critical of bloodborne, but this is one of the strangest complaints I've read about the game. Most of the game's fatal flaws don't really hit until you go through the depth 4/5 chalice dungeons or the DLC.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's like two traps in Bloodborne outside of the chalice dungeons.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Dark Souls 2 is convinced that DS1 was good because it trapped you often (this is not true) and has an enemy behind every other corner, it's almost comical.

Still love the game but man does its design not GET it sometimes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Handsome Jack is a good character because he really makes the player want to put a bullet in his brain in a way few other videogame bad guys can manage, mostly because of all the stuff you mentioned.
Jesus christ, were you the person those morons were targeting.

He's just a trite, unoriginal and painfully boring try-hard. He never does anything against anything you care about.

You know how to make you hate him? Have him lock one of your weapon slots or take a rare drop. Because no-one gives a poo poo about the boring characters in those games, because everyone is in the game for the guns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't know 'try hard' was a thing people actually said.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

I think you'd like Dunkey's video detailing perfectly why the series sucks as a whole
I'm enjoying it despite myself. A while ago I played Shadow of Mordor and even though it was good, near the end I found myself just turning off mid-game, shelving the disc and proclaiming to myself and the world that I was done with formulaic collectathon climb-the-tower open world games. APPARENTLY NOT

It helps that the pirate setting has a certain novelty and that the metastory isn't terribly intrusive. Also that I don't give a poo poo about the story and so don't feel compelled to chase the mission markers as fast as I can. (Not using fast travel also makes it a lot more fun.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You know how to make you hate him? Have him lock one of your weapon slots or take a rare drop.

Please do not ever make games

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

He's just a trite, unoriginal and painfully boring try-hard. He never does anything against anything you care about.

You know how to make you hate him? Have him lock one of your weapon slots or take a rare drop. Because no-one gives a poo poo about the boring characters in those games, because everyone is in the game for the guns.

Nah, I thoroughly enjoyed BL2s story, and Handsome jack is one of the best villains ever, because he actually does stuff instead of being a vague " that guy is evil go kill him" thing.

People play games for more reasons than ...whatever reason you do. I'm thinking you should probably just stick to Counterstrike, because the Borderland series is more than just guns.
You sound like a painfully boring person.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, I thoroughly enjoyed BL2s story, and Handsome jack is one of the best villains ever, because he actually does stuff instead of being a vague " that guy is evil go kill him" thing.

People play games for more reasons than ...whatever reason you do. I'm thinking you should probably just stick to Counterstrike, because the Borderland series is more than just guns.
Iago from Othello's run on the best villains ever list seemed unstoppable, until the year of our lord 2012, when he was finally toppled from his perch by the bad cartoon man from the shooty meme video game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish The Phantom Pain had a real fast-travel option. The helicopter option takes three minutes to get you to point B, while the delivery-box option sends you to a limited number of locations under heavy guard and is barely mentioned in-game.

The game's second chapter would be slightly less disappointing to players if they mentioned that finishing the repeat missions don't unlock any new missions and are completely optional. Hell, I would have taken away the chapter headings and have made the repeat missions available as soon as possible.

I'm stuck on mission 22, which is a tutorial for the multiplayer, and you're given no backup, no buddies and no checkpoints. It's a pain in the arse.

I give the game credit for being about 90 percent doing mercenary busywork in the desert and yet it never stops being compelling. It has nearly every modern trend like regenerating health, optional bullet-time, and mark-and-track and yet there's no there's game like it. It's like the inverse of Thief 2014, which was poo poo in every way.

Also, gently caress the Target Practice on the Research and Development platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36J5t_a3bs

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Apr 7, 2016

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Johnny Aztec posted:

The game is indeed all about the guns. It's also all their marketing is. They know this, everyone else gets this. If you're able to get invested in a villain that 95% of the time exists purely as a joke delivery mechanism, go crazy, but don't act like there's something we're just not loving getting about Handsome Jack.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't know 'try hard' was a thing people actually said.

I say it at least six time a day

To the mirror

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lol

On the topic of dark souls, welp, I got cursed, guess im never touching this game again

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BillmasterCozb posted:

lol

On the topic of dark souls, welp, I got cursed, guess im never touching this game again

That happens to everyone once. You can get rid of it by using a purging stone. The lady in the sewers sells them. You can get two for free by throwing the birds at the tutorial level a red eye stone, which you can also get for free, on the way there jumping up the cathedral balconies.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

That happens to everyone once. You can get rid of it by using a purging stone. The lady in the sewers sells them. You can get two for free by throwing the birds at the tutorial level a red eye stone, which you can also get for free, on the way there jumping up the cathedral balconies.

You can get them way cheaper from the NPC past the Undead Parish boss.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Must have patched that in later. The point is that happens to everyone - once. You learn not to stand in the farts. Dying outside the farts is infinitely preferable than standing in the farts like the statues of people who died in other worlds to the farts. It's fixable and you won't do it again.

e: oh oswald? Sure whatever. Thought you meant the blacksmith.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BillmasterCozb posted:

lol

:cmon:

I got cursed twice until I gave up on the game for a year. if you got to anor londo then you've got enough resources to purge the curse.