Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone played March or War? It's a free to play strategy game. I assume it'll either be amazing but under-rated or a pay2win piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mans posted:

Anyone played March or War? It's a free to play strategy game. I assume it'll either be amazing but under-rated or a pay2win piece of crap.

It is exceptionally poor, even amongst the genre that it inhabits.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The PC version of Final Fantasy 13's size is apparently because they included Japanese audio and cutscenes, which is pretty great. I totally wish they allowed you to select it via Steam like most games do it but I guess this is still a huge advancement.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did you maybe not get to this part in MGR???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCPG0qqRW8

The Metal Gear series has a weird tonal clash because of its postmodernist tendency to include real-world disasters and injustices on an explicit textual level, but it's very much a work of parody through and through. MGR is one big parody of American international politics.

My mind was so focused on the latter half of the game when typing that post I forgot about that. :downs: Still gonna say it takes itself way more seriously than DMC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

lordfrikk posted:

The PC version of Final Fantasy 13's size is apparently because they included Japanese audio and cutscenes, which is pretty great. I totally wish they allowed you to select it via Steam like most games do it but I guess this is still a huge advancement.

It's both that and that S-E doesn't know how to compress audio at all. Seriously the audio files are ENORMOUS for no real reason.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tezzeract posted:

Apparently it needs a Brazilian VPN to add to cart. GMG might be more convenient for people who don't want to muck around with that.

But will the game still be region locked somehow?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

How is Forced? It looks like some really fun local co-op but the 72 Metacritic rating and the fact that almost nobody on my friends list has played it makes me dubious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I played a bit more of Alien: Isolation and it gets better. It's a true Alien game as long as you keep it on hard. The big complaint I can agree with is that the game has several moments where you think it's supposed to end now but it doesn't and this somewhat makes its impact smaller and makes it drag on too long. Also:

Yep, that's the protagonist getting jumped from a vent while walking too casually down a corridor.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

My mind was so focused on the latter half of the game when typing that post I forgot about that. :downs: Still gonna say it takes itself way more seriously than DMC.

Oh, the latter half of the game, when an American senator is literally turned into a gigantic hulking monster by the military-industrial complex and writes it off with a sneer by saying he played football at Yale.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know how someone walks away from any MGS game thinking that they are trying to play it straight. The few serious moments only serve to accentuate how silly the rest of it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh, the latter half of the game, when an American senator is literally turned into a gigantic hulking monster by the military-industrial complex and writes it off with a sneer by saying he played football at Yale.

Nanomachines would explain the year they're having...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sloppy posted:

How is Forced? It looks like some really fun local co-op but the 72 Metacritic rating and the fact that almost nobody on my friends list has played it makes me dubious.

Last time I checked, the netcode was pretty lovely. For a game that's all about positioning, timing, and precision, many players found it to be a fairly inexcusable flaw in an otherwise very enjoyable game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

404notfound posted:

I didn't know they did this:

I wish they had something like that for my actual birthday.

But they wouldn't know it's today because I keep putting 1/1/1967 in all of the age prompts :ninja:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SON

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fatherboxx posted:

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SON

No, Raiden wrote it off as him playing football at Yale, but it was Texas. Could've gone pro too.

edit: can't spell

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 12, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherboxx posted:

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SON

Boomer Sooner motherfucker

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
UT lost this weekend :smug:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The White Dragon posted:

Last time I checked, the netcode was pretty lovely. For a game that's all about positioning, timing, and precision, many players found it to be a fairly inexcusable flaw in an otherwise very enjoyable game.

I'd be interested to know if they ever got around to fixing that. I really liked FORCED, but even on computers literally next to each other my husband and I were having enough lag issues that it was causing us to fail. When we tried to get our buddies to join in the lag was even worse, and we ended up quitting before even starting the second set of challenges. We were going to come back later and hope they had improved things but then we got distracted by hundreds of other games...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

It is exceptionally poor, even amongst the genre that it inhabits.

Really? It looks kinda interesting :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SON

Nothing involving Texas should fill you with that much pride.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Nothing involving Texas should fill you with that much pride.

Texas Beef and their barbeque in general is pretty goddamned solid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Texas Beef and their barbeque in general is pretty goddamned solid.

A happy accident.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

A happy accident.

Texans appropriated good cooking from the Mexicans that originally* settled there and then spent the rest of forever trying to kick them out from Texas.

*blahblah blah nobody cares about the Native Americans.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What happened to the Xcom thread? I redownloaded it and was wondering if I should get The Long War.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

What happened to the Xcom thread? I redownloaded it and was wondering if I should get The Long War.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529135

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Azran posted:

Of course you should get long war. They're also about a week away from releasing their latest B14 update, which sounds like it'll be amazing. Just ctrl-F and go back a few pages, it's on page four or five, I think.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529135

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Azran posted:

There should be a massive new version of the mod out in the next few days. They've got their list of 'bugs to fix' down from dozens to just two now, and neither are major. They've even managed to fix a lot of bugs from the original game.

About 90% of the chat in the thread is about LW now. Just about all the players swear by it at this point, and while some take issue with some of the balance changes it makes, it also externalizes almost all those into an INI file that you can tweak to personal preference.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My admittedly short experience with The Long War can be summed up as thus:

Do you want to be kicked in the balls harder than the worst moment that ever happened to you in vanilla EU/EW but on a regular basis? Then The Long War is for you!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks! Search Function was dropping me bitcoin and Let's play results instead of the actual thread.

Nice to hear LW is shaping up, it was fun last time I tried it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

My admittedly short experience with The Long War can be summed up as thus:

Do you want to be kicked in the balls harder than the worst moment that ever happened to you in vanilla EU/EW but on a regular basis? Then The Long War is for you!

When did you last play? The early game is somewhat easier than vanilla XCom now, as you're given a ton of tools to begin with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, Long Run is really fun, and has a lot more going on than just vanilla. I really enjoy it. In my opinion it's a large improvement over vanilla, but it's still XCOM.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would like to try Long War, but as much as I played Vanilla I have not beaten it once. I feel like I probably should, or is that not the case?

Also, doesn't even Jake Solomon, the head of the team for the base game, not only approves of but also plays with that mod?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 12, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SynthOrange posted:

otoh one of the characters is loving Claptrap.

Quoting this from a few pages back but I don't think you realize that this is actually a good thing. Claptrap being a player character in TPS means that he cannot have any actual place in the story, meaning that if you or your buddies aren't playing as him, he doesn't exist. It's the perfect way to solve the divide of people who do or don't like Claptrap in Borderlands 2: If you don't like him, pretend the game only has 3 player characters. If you like him, he's right there to be your buddy for 20 thousand hours of gameplay. If you like his gimmick but don't like him, it doesn't matter because you wouldn't have played as him anyway. Win/win.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I thought there was only one Claptrap left in Borderlands 2, but that was a fairly recent development in the timeline. There are probably tons of Claptraps in 1.5, just like there were in BL1.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
CL4-trap or whatever is a model. There're tons of him.

Unlucky7 posted:

I would like to try Long War, but as much as I played Vanilla I have not beaten it once. I feel like I probably should, or is that not the case?

Also, doesn't even John Solomon, the head of the team for the base game, not only approves of but also plays with that mod?

You don't have to have beaten vanilla to play with LW. And Jake Solomon mentioned he liked it, yeah, but I've not heard that he plays it more or less than any other.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, doesn't even John Solomon, the head of the team for the base game, not only approves of but also plays with that mod?

Not sure if he actively plays it, but he has certainly sung its praises. It's grown into effectively a second expansion at this point. The next update is bringing UI overhauls (including a proper PC-style free camera mode), a new mission type and a rework to battle maps that means that human and alien forces can start out in a much wider range of locations, which should help make some older maps fresh again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dominic White posted:

When did you last play? The early game is somewhat easier than vanilla XCom now, as you're given a ton of tools to begin with.

Probably a couple version ago. I'm also pretty bad at and have only played a single campaign each of EU/EW so its most likely just me. Giving me more options and time to think about it just confuses me sometimes :v:

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 12, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

I thought there was only one Claptrap left in Borderlands 2, but that was a fairly recent development in the timeline. There are probably tons of Claptraps in 1.5, just like there were in BL1.

Hmm, that is true. According to Claptrap himself, Jack didn't commence wiping out all the Claptraps until after his takeover of Pandora, and TPS takes place before that. Let's hope the writing team forgot about that then.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dominic White posted:

Not sure if he actively plays it, but he has certainly sung its praises. It's grown into effectively a second expansion at this point. The next update is bringing UI overhauls (including a proper PC-style free camera mode), a new mission type and a rework to battle maps that means that human and alien forces can start out in a much wider range of locations, which should help make some older maps fresh again.

Apparently that is a week away. Should I wait for it so that any saves I have won't get trounced?

I really like the new Xcom. I am simply just really bad at it :shobon:

Then again, I insist on playing on Classic after steamrolling normal for quite a bit, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dominic White posted:

From what I've seen from Beaglerush's stream, it's way easier except for a few missions here or there, but your mistakes keep cascading until you're irrevocably hosed. Which means a lot in a couple hundred hour long campaign. To me most of the changes just seem really tedious and annoying, but it's fun to watch someone else go through it.

e: The giant aliens are hilarious though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 12, 2014

• Locked thread