Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I first learned of it in the X-Files thread recently and its fans making up relationships with each other. So in that case, Mulder and Scully. But it's been around forever, Star Trek, LoTR.

Geeks just eat that dumb poo poo up.

It's dumb, fun fan poo poo like debating if Goku could bear Darth Vader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shipping provides many of the foodstuffs and oils we use in our daily lives, transported from faraway lands. When we want to masturbate to weird couples we make up in our minds.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's dumb, fun fan poo poo like debating if Goku could bear Darth Vader

You mean... like... give birth?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

You mean... like... give birth?

"There was no father"

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

As far as I was aware, shipping is just speculating on how certain character relationships are going to progress. That seems like a pretty valid thing to do.

It's way more intense than that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't believe so many people here don't like Star Wars.

http://ajgiel.tumblr.com/post/136690581863/i-know-its-kida-too-late-for-christmas-songs-but

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Kylo Ren is the gift that keeps on giving.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Those tumblr noses are more vile than every post Tezzor made in this thread combined

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Cnut the Great posted:

The ST designs for the X-wing, TIE fighter, and Star Destroyer are all updated slightly, but (unlike the PT designs) they've been very specifically engineered so as not to stray too far from the iconic OT designs. They all have the same basic "personality" as their OT predecessors.

Obviously, this was on purpose, because TFA's mission was not to tell a story that would feel like it was actually taking place in a time period and culture three decades removed from the OT; but, rather, to evoke feelings of nostalgia by emulating the "feel" of the OT as much as possible.

A lot of modern industrial designs try to do the same thing by emulating rather than evolving. Take a look the the American car industry about 6 or 7 years ago when the designers of the Mustang (for example) were obviously trying to emulate a the feel of a 1965 Mustang rather than a natural evolution based on the styles of the time period (like a 1983 Mustang was for instance.)

Or watches for example. The Omega Speedster that you can buy today is little changed from the original one worn by the NASA astronauts in the 60s.

60s model on top and modern on bottom

Whereas they experimented a bit more in the late 60s and early 70s to come up with the Speedmaster MkII.

It's very common for modern mature companies to draw attention to their "heritage." It would make sense for the First Empire and Resistance to do the same thing. So the meta narrative outside of the films works within it as well. The First Order is trying to recapture the past glories of the Empire by taking their design language and only doing slight updates in order to link themselves to the past. Resistance is doing the same thing with the context of seeing themselves as a successor to the Rebellion. Just as Lucas was using design language inspired by the 50s to differentiate between the PT and the very 70s/80s look of the OT the NT is using a common technique in modern design, emulation and call-backs to the past, in their designs for TFA. Whether that's intentional or not who cares. Authorial intent does not matter and all that jazz.

Edit: The 2009 Mustang tail lights definitely show their retro influence

1983 to show the difference

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 12, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Kylo Ren being 30 makes his character insanely more funny.

multijoe posted:

Those tumblr noses are more vile than every post Tezzor made in this thread combined

Yeah, those fuckin' SJW millennials and their noses.
???

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's very in-character for the First Order to hew close to Imperial designs for their gear. A movie motivated by arguably misplaced nostalgia depicting the villains as definitely motivated by misplaced nostalgia.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

wyoming posted:

???

Tumblr nose being awful is completely independent of anything else relating to tumblr

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

wyoming posted:

???

Uh, way to project I guess? I just really don't like that pseudo-chibi artstyle, and as it's endemic to tumblr it's called called tumblr nose

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

multijoe posted:

Yeah, I hate that Cutesy Bootsey poo poo too.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Tezzor was good. Literally he just disagreed with the the almost pc defense of the prequels.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think the prequels were dreck but I managed to state this viewpoint without getting banned from the thread somehow.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It helps when you refrain from accusing other people of having autism because they disagree with you.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Obey your Politically Correct masters, b****

Embrace Sweet Sheev and the Monster Mash

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh you definitely wanna be careful with that kind of phrasing on Tumblr

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm PC! I starred it!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ZoCrowes posted:

It's very common for modern mature companies to draw attention to their "heritage." It would make sense for the First Empire and Resistance to do the same thing. So the meta narrative outside of the films works within it as well. The First Order is trying to recapture the past glories of the Empire by taking their design language and only doing slight updates in order to link themselves to the past. Resistance is doing the same thing with the context of seeing themselves as a successor to the Rebellion. Just as Lucas was using design language inspired by the 50s to differentiate between the PT and the very 70s/80s look of the OT the NT is using a common technique in modern design, emulation and call-backs to the past, in their designs for TFA. Whether that's intentional or not who cares. Authorial intent does not matter and all that jazz.

I agree with this analysis, and I'd actually go so far as to say that it is intentional. But that's actually symptomatic of the problem: Namely, that the filmmakers really wanted to make an OT throwback movie, and molded the story around this desire. They didn't have to do that.

I think it would have been more effective if the ST had begun by introducing us to a status quo whose design aesthetic was clearly thirty years removed from that of the OT. The status quo then could have been disrupted by the intrusion of a faction which utilized a design aesthetic harking back to the Empire. (And even then, the new Imperial designs wouldn't have had to be nearly exactly the same as the old Imperial designs.)

This would have been strong visual storytelling. As it stands, the visual storytelling of TFA is muddled by its insistence on hewing so closely to the past. Take this shot:

The iconic starship designs which soared and clashed in the OT are now nothing more than the inert wreckage of a bygone age. That's the idea, right? But the movie completely contradicts this notion at every turn, rendering this (quite wonderful) shot thematically meaningless.

The very first shot of the movie is of a First Order Star Destroyer which, if you were unfamiliar with the series or weren't paying close attention, I doubt you would even realize was of a notably different design than the Imperial one you later see wrecked on Jakku. The design of the Resistance X-wings, likewise, is virtually indistinguishable from that of the crashed Rebel X-wing in the shot.

Because the movie lacks any distinct "contemporary" aesthetic for the throwback designs of the Resistance and First Order to contrast against, the idea that these designs even are throwbacks is never clearly communicated. As far as the audience is concerned, this is just the way things still are, as if nothing in the galaxy was truly changed by the momentous events of Return of the Jedi.

Apparently, the galaxy has mostly just stagnated for the past three decades. Any progress that was made is inconsequential, and can be dismissed with a few vague off-screen references to a New Republic whose first blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance two-thirds of the way through the film is also its last before immediately being obliterated by a small group of Imperial cosplayers.

I'm not disputing whether there's a plausible thematic rationale for the unoriginality of the designs. I'm just disputing whether it's the most interesting--or effective--direction for the filmmakers to have taken.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 13, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

I'm PC! I starred it!
That wasn't the line I meant :shepface:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Cnut the Great posted:

Apparently, the galaxy has mostly just stagnated for the past three decades. Any progress that was made is inconsequential, and can be dismissed with a few vague off-screen references to a New Republic whose first blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance two-thirds of the way through the film is also its last before immediately being obliterated by a small group of Imperial cosplayers.

:smug: Hey now, droid slavery is over. It's just those uppity robots mechanicals who sit around on Star Welfare all day that are the problem.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

wyoming posted:

All the new characters behave as though they're under 15, which is rather offputting.

Making them all technical adults with child-like mentalities is like a laser-guided missile aimed straight at the target market that would mix liberal identity politics with 'innocent' grade-school crush fantasy.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

That wasn't the line I meant :shepface:

Is Tumblr offended by the Monster Mash now?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rey is so kawaii I want to die

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Some of these aren't half bad.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All the new characters behave as though they're under 15, which is rather offputting.

Making them all technical adults with child-like mentalities is like a laser-guided missile aimed straight at the target market that would mix liberal identity politics with 'innocent' grade-school crush fantasy.

Nah, dude. TFA is combating two very potent things that have wormed their way into the american psyche: resistance to emotion & resistance to inclusion. Both of which are now being fought back against specifically because more women have a platform to express themselves thanks to the internet. Now as I've already mentioned some of the ways TFA tries to bring inclusion to the force through Maz & our heroes, lets talk about emotion:

The characters in TFA do not act like they are under 15. They act like healthy young adults who are free to express themselves GENUINELY. Finn does not need to put on a veneer of masculine stoicism when he is choosing to run away from the conflict, or hide his feelings when he reunites with Rey. Poe does not need to hide his feelings when he sees Finn on D'qar. Rey begins to wear all of her emotions on her sleeve once leaving the oppressive environment of Jakku, which as we all know represents THE PAST (in both the canon fashion of being a literal space ship graveyard & the meta sense of being an OT grave yard, and thus in a temporal sense of being in OUR past).

And of course the villain of the movie, Kylo, is one who spends the entire movie trying to hide his own emotions and deny them. This can all seem childish or whatever, but thats just because you grew up in a society that preached male emotional suppression & lambasted women for being overly emotional, so showing the healthy display of these things can feel alien & weird. And I mean, I would expect a chatbot programmed in such a time to react negatively to it as much as any human would.

Edit: And I mean good golly, could you think of a better end cap to the prequels entire thesis on suppressing your feelings than the NT's unbridled joy in FEELING?

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 13, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

The characters in TFA do not act like they are under 15. They act like healthy young adults who are free to express themselves GENUINELY. Finn does not need to put on a veneer of masculine stoicism when he is choosing to run away from the conflict, or hide his feelings when he reunites with Rey.

He does puff himself up though, hence Han's advice ("Women Always Figure Out The Truth. Always.").

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

computer parts posted:

He does puff himself up though, hence Han's advice ("Women Always Figure Out The Truth. Always.").

Yes but I don't think that pretending to be a bigger deal than you are really falls into the category of emotion & the masculine suppression there of. Even while pretending to be said big deal he shows clear fear of the first order in front of everyone.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
These Star Wars heroes seem to be healthy self actualized individuals. The OT characters were seeking self-actualization. The prequel characters were barely alive. Lots of pressure for the next episode to flesh out the new characters and universe more and not be like 'Into Darkness'.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

Yes but I don't think that pretending to be a bigger deal than you are really falls into the category of emotion & the masculine suppression there of. Even while pretending to be said big deal he shows clear fear of the first order in front of everyone.

It falls into machismo which is the stereotype of the masculine protagonist.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Good point. Tru tru

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

This can all seem childish or whatever, but thats just because you grew up in a society that preached male emotional suppression & lambasted women for being overly emotional, so showing the healthy display of these things can feel alien & weird. And I mean, I would expect a chatbot programmed in such a time to react negatively to it as much as any human would.

Edit: And I mean good golly, could you think of a better end cap to the prequels entire thesis on suppressing your feelings than the NT's unbridled joy in FEELING?

What you're pushing here is a New Age/Jungian balance of 'natural' masculine and feminine 'principles', which is very distinct from actual feminism as combating exploitation. Deep-seated archetypal identities, "Men are from Mars, Women Are From Venus", right? This means that you have absolutely misunderstood the prequels. It's as Zizek warns:

"The bondsman (servant) is all the more the servant, the more he (mis)perceives his position as that of an autonomous agent; and the same goes for woman - the ultimate form of her servitude is to (mis)perceive herself, when she acts in a 'feminine' submissive-compassionate way, as an autonomous agent."

This was precisely Padme's fate, until she committed suicide - which, I repeat, is her first and only ethical act.

In other words, what you propose is the unbridled joy of buying into the exact ideology critiqued in the original six Star Wars films.

This all brings us back to the familiar preoccupation with 'care-levels' and 'deep' inner feeling. The flipside of your unbridled FEELING is an unbridled TERROR at the threat of 'trolling' and other harassment. And this is of course closely aligned to the concept of war on terror.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 13, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think you've misread the post, SMG.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

I think you've misread the post, SMG.

Nope; I checked.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jerkface posted:

They act like healthy young adults who are free to express themselves GENUINELY.

Yeah. Why? There's no reason for them to be healthy young adults. Finn is a soldier who's been brainwashed from birth to be a remorseless killer. Rey is an orphaned scavenger who grew up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where she never had any opportunity to experience healthy social interaction.

Neither of them really act like their back stories would seem to dictate they should. They act like quippy Millennials. Finn is a happy-go-lucky goofball without the slightest hint of a hard edge. Rey can be a bit stand-offish, but she doesn't really evince any glaring signs of being abnormally socialized.

They have nominal character development, but it feels tacked on. They undergo mandated changes at certain specified turning points in the script, but the writing in between these turning points doesn't do the subtle character work necessary to make the progression feel natural and believable.

To see what I mean, take ANH as a comparison. Luke starts the movie as a boy and ends it as a man, and there's a consistent progression reflected in the way he speaks, acts, and reacts to similar situations at different points in the story. This progression is clearly reflected even during moments that aren't important turning points:

In the first act on Tatooine, Luke is a boy who whines, bickers, constantly defers to authority figures, and looks to others for guidance. In the second act on the Death Star, Luke starts to come into his own as an adult by becoming more self-sufficient, successfully setting and achieving his own goals, and learning how to cooperate within a peer group. In the third act Death Star battle, he's become a commanding, confident leader of a fighter squad and a true believer in his own inner spiritual potential. Within each act, Luke's character gives off a subtly different, more mature vibe.

I don't see any such similar interstitial character progression with Finn or Rey. Finn becomes Willing to Fight for a Good Cause, and Rey becomes Ready to Accept Her Destiny as a Jedi, but these character shifts seem like isolated singularities in the script. I don't feel like their characters are gradually being shaped by their experiences in the story like I do with Luke in ANH. The vibe they give off at the beginning of the movie is the same as the vibe they give off at the end. Finn is an awkward goofball with a chivalrous streak. Rey is a capable and self-sufficient young woman with a core of vulnerability. The character development is mainly cosmetic.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What you're pushing here is a New Age/Jungian balance of 'natural' masculine and feminine 'principles', which is very distinct from actual feminism as combating exploitation. Deep-seated archetypal identities, "Men are from Mars, Women Are From Venus", right? This means that you have absolutely misunderstood the prequels.

I agree, though contrariwise one of the biggest prequel boosters of all time is super-Jungian Camille Paglia.

Corek fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 13, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah. Why? There's no reason for them to be healthy young adults. Finn is a soldier who's been brainwashed from birth to be a remorseless killer. Rey is an orphaned scavenger who grew up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where she never had any opportunity to experience healthy social interaction.

Neither of them really act like their back stories would seem to dictate they should. They act like quippy Millennials. Finn is a happy-go-lucky goofball without the slightest hint of a hard edge. Rey can be a bit stand-offish, but she doesn't really evince any glaring signs of being abnormally socialized.

They have nominal character development, but it feels tacked on. They undergo mandated changes at certain specified turning points in the script, but the writing in between these turning points doesn't do the subtle character work necessary to make the progression feel natural and believable.

To see what I mean, take ANH as a comparison. Luke starts the movie as a boy and ends it as a man, and there's a consistent progression reflected in the way he speaks, acts, and reacts to similar situations at different points in the story. This progression is clearly reflected even during moments that aren't important turning points:

In the first act on Tatooine, Luke is a boy who whines, bickers, constantly defers to authority figures, and looks to others for guidance. In the second act on the Death Star, Luke starts to come into his own as an adult by becoming more self-sufficient, successfully setting and achieving his own goals, and learning how to cooperate within a peer group. In the third act Death Star battle, he's become a commanding, confident leader of a fighter squad and a true believer in his own inner spiritual potential. Within each act, Luke's character gives off a subtly different, more mature vibe.

I don't see any such similar interstitial character progression with Finn or Rey. Finn becomes Willing to Fight for a Good Cause, and Rey becomes Ready to Accept Her Destiny as a Jedi, but these character shifts seem like isolated singularities in the script. I don't feel like their characters are gradually being shaped by their experiences in the story like I do with Luke in ANH. The vibe they give off at the beginning of the movie is the same as the vibe they give off at the end. Finn is an awkward goofball with a chivalrous streak. Rey is a capable and self-sufficient young woman with a core of vulnerability. The character development is mainly cosmetic.

It's true, they should never have ended the film with Rey returning to Jakku to wait for her family again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corek posted:

I agree, though contrariwise one of the biggest prequel boosters of all time is super-Jungian Camille Paglia.

So is the Star Wars Ring Theory guy, Mike Klimo.

I'm not familiar with Pagilla, but Klimo's all about 'the unification of opposites', meaning in effect that he the two trilogies as Ying and Yang, and blah blah whatever. Here is his interpretation of the end of Jedi:

"Darth Vader, moved by Luke’s faith and compassion, turns on the Emperor, and sacrifices himself to save his son. Through this heroic act he finds the balance within himself, resolving the conflict between the light and dark sides of the Force. And by restoring inner harmony, he also restores outer harmony to the galaxy. Thus, Anakin fulfills his destiny and brings balance to the Force. Symbolically speaking, Anakin has balanced all of the pairs of opposites."

What Klimo is championing the triumph of the human Anakin over the Christ-figure Vader, meaning the elimination of Christ and the restoration of the Republic system.

• Locked thread