Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It has been a little weird not seeing Germany declare war on the entire world in a weekend and then get subsequently clowned on by everyone while they’re busy trying to march directly over the Maginot Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HorrificExistence posted:

Swedish collaberatioon with the nazis is a faux pas in sweden so I doubt they'd touch it

Yeah I feel like HOI4 more than other Paradox games has to touch on some pretty uncomfortable subjects that most nations would probably rather forget.

I'm conflicted about excluding atrocities. On the one hand, they definitely happened and played a major role in the war, but on the other hand you really, really do not want to give the player a "do the Holocaust" button because jesus christ why would you ever click that.

Even what they did for the Stalinist purges is a bit uncomfortable to think about. It's such a huge issue and directly (rather than indirectly) impacted the Soviet's ability to fight, but man, it's pretty gross when you think about what clicking "The Great Purge" National Focus actually means you're doing.

I can't even bring myself to play as Nazi Germany so I'm super happy with the newest DLC because I can finally play as Germany and not be disgusted with myself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

StarMinstrel posted:

Ok, but the new front lines are broken and unusable yes? I'm basically waiting to hear they're fixed before buying the DLC/playing again.

Maybe if you would tell us why you think they're broken and unusable because it seems like nobody here has the same impression of them as you :confused:

axeil posted:

Yeah I feel like HOI4 more than other Paradox games has to touch on some pretty uncomfortable subjects that most nations would probably rather forget.

I'm honestly shocked PDX is allowed to sell the game in China for committing the grave sin of showing the Kuomintang flag.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Drone posted:

I'm honestly shocked PDX is allowed to sell the game in China for committing the grave sin of showing the Kuomintang flag.

From the post still stickied at the top of their forum they still can't.

Don't know if Waking the Tiger is available since the previous two expansions were apparently unaffected but the base game was pulled from Steam. Doesn't seem like God Emperior Xi has changed his mind yet.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From the post still stickied at the top of their forum they still can't.

Don't know if Waking the Tiger is available since the previous two expansions were apparently unaffected but the base game was pulled from Steam. Doesn't seem like God Emperior Xi has changed his mind yet.

judging by workshop, the game is still really popular in china

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

Maybe if you would tell us why you think they're broken and unusable because it seems like nobody here has the same impression of them as you :confused:

Oh? Why's that? My knowledge of what went down in the East/Chinese Civil War is not nearly as extensive as my knowledge about stuff in Europe.

edit: upon googling I realize that Kuomintang is just the word for Nationalist China so that makes sense.

But is the ROC/PRC split still so serious that PRC won't even let people acknowledge that ROC ya know, existed (and lost) the civil war?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

look up Chinese Taipei in Wikipedia to see how serious the prc takes it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Drone posted:

Dongattack posted:

It's soooo freaking frustrating that i just gave up on the whole game. AI leaves divisions unused, huge gaps in the frontline, stacks huge amounts of divisions in one spot, etc. And then when you finally have it set up right and you hit the attack button all your plans break after like a week :negative:

And more similar stuff I've been reading on forums/seeing in let's plays all over the place.

/edit
Like, maybe everybody is not talking about it because they're all using the old front system, or everybody is using the new one and it works absolutely fine. I just want to know which is which before I eventually buy the DLC.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fuligin posted:

judging by workshop, the game is still really popular in china

and, rare for a paradox expansion, it actually has mostly positive reviews on Steam because of the tremendous amount of enthusiasm for the focus on china

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Lawman 0 posted:

Someone wanna give me a tldr on how to play Romania?

1) Go Balkan Dominance route

2) Make a division template with ~10 width of infantry and nothing else

3) Train a few dozen of them

4) Get as much manpower as possible and once you have enough in your pool start switching the troops from the crappy 10 width to a real template

5) And now you have manpower in the field and can take the Bulgaria, Hungary, and Yugoslavia focus paths

6) Usually at least one of them will put up a fight but they are extremely easy to steamroll

You can get all this done by 39'ish easily and if you are a little faster than that you can also split czechoslovakia with Germany. Do all that and you are basically the most powerful European nation behind the USSR/Germany with your own sizable oil supply and can do whatever the hell you want

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 12, 2018

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Anyone else having issues with the AI leaving huge gaps in your frontlines?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zikan posted:

look up Chinese Taipei in Wikipedia to see how serious the prc takes it.

Well that is really, really stupid. PRC obviously won the Chinese Civil War and both ROC and PRC should just accept reality and move on as two separate states (yes, I realize how naive that is).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I'm surprised the game is doing well in China, considering you can lose with the PRC.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Anyone else having issues with the AI leaving huge gaps in your frontlines?

Two posts up.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

axeil posted:

I'm conflicted about excluding atrocities. On the one hand, they definitely happened and played a major role in the war, but on the other hand you really, really do not want to give the player a "do the Holocaust" button because jesus christ why would you ever click that.

Even what they did for the Stalinist purges is a bit uncomfortable to think about. It's such a huge issue and directly (rather than indirectly) impacted the Soviet's ability to fight, but man, it's pretty gross when you think about what clicking "The Great Purge" National Focus actually means you're doing.

I can't even bring myself to play as Nazi Germany so I'm super happy with the newest DLC because I can finally play as Germany and not be disgusted with myself.

What's worse is the game portrays the purges as needed to prevent a civil war. That is actually one of the most dangerous myths the game can perpetuate.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

What's worse is the game portrays the purges as needed to prevent a civil war. That is actually one of the most dangerous myths the game can perpetuate.

Yeah, I've been waiting for them to change that particular pile of horseshit for a while now. It's the worst concept for a focus tree in the game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gort posted:

Yeah, I've been waiting for them to change that particular pile of horseshit for a while now. It's the worst concept for a focus tree in the game.

Given that they just wrote a pretty good alternate history Monarchist/Democratic Germany tree I think the time has come to write a good Trotskyite or even Democratic USSR tree. Not sure how to weave that in with how the Great Purge currently works but I think it should happen.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
They should just rename it to reduce confusion from people mixing up the Moscow show trials and whatever atrocity (historical or otherwise) they think the “Great Purge” button inflicts.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Honestly, why don't they just have a "kill all jewish doctors" event for the USSR?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pretty sure there were more than 6 Jewish doctors in the Soviet Union, let's be fair.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

I've been toying with replacing it with a Stalin Paranoia-o-meter, where Stalin gets increasingly paranoid until he start a purge. The player can decide to influence things (so to protect valuable generals by sacrificing useless ones) or allow a "wild purge" - or back the military in a coup to remove Stalin and invite Trotsky back.

But on the other hand, we are on a very tight timeframe and this may take too long to play out properly.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

I've been toying with replacing it with a Stalin Paranoia-o-meter, where Stalin gets increasingly paranoid until he start a purge. The player can decide to influence things (so to protect valuable generals by sacrificing useless ones) or allow a "wild purge" - or back the military in a coup to remove Stalin and invite Trotsky back.

But on the other hand, we are on a very tight timeframe and this may take too long to play out properly.

Should involve regional party officials trying to protect their power base http://home.ku.edu.tr/~mbaker/cshs522/GettyMassRepressions.pdf

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Realistically the Soviet Union needs a focus tree overhaul on the same scale that the Axis Powers got.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Give the USSR a focus where Kane assassinates Stalin and turns it into the Brotherhood of Nod

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Takanago posted:

Give the USSR a focus where Kane assassinates Stalin and turns it into the Brotherhood of Nod

:allears:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Wowee, does Manchukuo start out in a bad situation. 2% stability, 0% war support, one factory of each type and two research teams.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Wow, Soviets winning the civil war results in... the Soviet focus tree being reset.

I was wondering why the AI Soviets had seemed to have done no focuses whatsoever when I was in my other games.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

axeil posted:

two separate states

That is exactly the heart of the problem. The only reason Taiwan exists is because they managed to scrape together enough military power and foreign support to keep the Communists from outright invading and finishing them off the task of reunifying China. Formally recognizing their independence is basically implicitly accepting that if you can get enough military power to back you up, you have the right to independence. Given that China has a major issue with at least two large separatist movements, this is not an idea they want to encourage at all. That's why they maintain the fiction that Taiwan is a rebellious province and one day, if they REALLY felt like it, they'll get around to reunifying China.

Meanwhile the ROC's claim to still be the legitimate government of all of China (including the bits that the Communists had since negotiated away with other powers - look up a map of ROC claims sometimes, it's hilarious) makes less ideological sense, but makes a great deal of practical sense in that the Mainland would get ripshit pissed if they ever renounced those claims and thus abandoned the idea that there is only one true China, thereby causing all the above mentioned problems.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tomn posted:

if you can get enough military power to back you up, you have the right to independence

I mean, yes, this is factually true.

But yeah, PRC policy and logic aren't really two things that go in the same sentence usually. China didn't really experience 19th century imperialism the same way Western powers did (since it was on the receiving end), so now it's still exhibiting attitudes that it took two devastating world wars for most of the Western world to shake off.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sheep posted:

Wow, Soviets winning the civil war results in... the Soviet focus tree being reset.

I was wondering why the AI Soviets had seemed to have done no focuses whatsoever when I was in my other games.

that also explains the repeated civil wars.

There's a modded Soviet focus tree on Steam Workshop (Road to 56 has it as well) that has a fairly detailed alt-Trotsky path (with warlike and pacific variants depending on your Trotsky fanfic I guess) but really the Great Purge just needs to be events you can't cancel, because realistically (a) they're in there to help balance the USSR going nuts and taking over the world in 1938 (b) you do not want to expect the player to do stupid things (c) the politics is - let's just say - problematic. Have a focus branch to cancel the purge and do a Trotsky Civil War if you absolutely think that his returning to save the working class was in any way a possibility (it wasn't) but handle it the same way as the new alt-Germany focuses.

Strudel Man posted:

Wowee, does Manchukuo start out in a bad situation. 2% stability, 0% war support, one factory of each type and two research teams.

it's not as bad as you think. Japan has a focus branch which buffs Manchukuo which they tend to do quickly, and Manchukuo's own focuses allow you to crawl out of the hole in a couple of years. Thanks to some absolutely insane combat bonuses Pu-Yi gets vs. Japanese troops and in core territory it's not that hard to reform Qing China (really the bugs are more of a threat than the Kwangtung Army)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 12, 2018

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The Japan civil war as communists is broken. My first try, I could spam infinite volunteers from the Soviet Union, and after the war I couldn't disband them and they took up all my manpower. Second try my puppets became communist, joined me (I was the communist Japan), then declared war on me, switched sides, joined the comintern and then called the soviet union against me in my war against fascist japan.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sheep posted:

I just got this game. Does this mean that USSR is broken right now or is this a rare thing that can be easily avoided?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If I want to form the New Roman Empire as Italy its says that I need to "control" several provinces, but I don't know if it means "control" as in "actually own the thing" or "be in a faction with the dude who owns the thing"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's easy to avoid civil war as the ussr, yes. You just need to take the great purge as one of your like first seven focuses.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Stairmaster posted:

it's easy to avoid civil war as the ussr, yes. You just need to take the great purge as one of your like first seven focuses.

it's good to do ASAP anyway since you want the maluses from it to be almost over whenever you get to war in Europe. I usually rush it then do the industry focii

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

StarMinstrel posted:

...maluses...focii...

:bang:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I just got this game. Does this mean that USSR is broken right now or is this a rare thing that can be easily avoided?

Stairmaster posted:

Yes, you can avoid the civil war, but you may not want to, in which case it's a game breaking bug for the USSR.

If you do want to avoid the civil war, probably best to wait until the Spanish civil war starts before doing the purges else you run the risk of not being able to send more than like two divisions of volunteers.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You can easily finish the purges before anything real kicks off and get rid of the malus with a short winter war, so why not send those armored divisions into China as well? They'll get back for the Finish conflict to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

StarMinstrel posted:

Ok, but the new front lines are broken and unusable yes? I'm basically waiting to hear they're fixed before buying the DLC/playing again.

I've been playing for like, probably 20 hours since the patch dropped, and I've had no problems despite using the fronts system constantly with minimal micro? :shrug:

Ignorant Hick posted:

I'm fairly certain that if a division losses all its organization and there's no available manpower left to reinforce the division gets destroyed instead of retreating. Same thing happened to them in my Communist China game.

Now that Germany actually waits to start a war once they've finished their current one the Soviets are getting consistently destroyed in my games.

It may also help that Germany gets near-0% consumer factories, can get free war economy before they generate any world tension, and get national spirits that improve their construction of essentially everything and the resource generation of oil factories, and thus consistently has more factories than the US as well as better output from them given all the national spirits, and barely suffers from resource issues given their synthetics.