Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Speaking the khajit waterbowl. Dont put it at the bottom of the rope. It doesnt work well there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
after maxing crafting and scrying and doing DLC and finishing cadwell's gold on several characters I thought there might not be much left in this game for me to chase and that's when I went in to see what tales of tribute was like, now I'm seeing the drat cards in my sleep

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So anyway been playing for like 3 days (mostly bc I heard there was a free house in the offering and oh boy it's HUGE, and empty but I guess I will solve that eventually). The things is & reason I am here is because, after doing the tutorial and starter island (the only one open was the roost) - I looked at the journal and one of the quests says "I died..." and in real life I said "...wat?" What did I miss? Did I gently caress up and skip a cutscene or screw up the tutorial or something? I feel like I'd remember being sent to oblivion. Or did something change somewhere and nobody updated journal.description.txt?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
The original prologue has you die in the intro cutscene. most of the narrative of the main quest line hinges on this.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
The original prologue/main quest has been moved to Glenumbra/Auridon/Stonefalls (depending on alliance), so there are some minor oddities regarding the starter islands.

You also, notably, get sent back to the starter island after doing that first main quest. So it was clearly meant to be done first and they just did the minimum amount of tweaking to move it.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Yeah just keep going, you’ll get a quest that’s like ‘Talk to the sketchy hooded figure’ and that’s the original starter quest and everything will make sense again.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Well I'm doing pretty much every quest I come across, I guess it's just weird MMO jank. I play GW2 as well so I'm used to "stuff we really should get around to fixing but in ten years ain't fixed and likely ain't gonna".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tambaloneus posted:

Well I'm doing pretty much every quest I come across, I guess it's just weird MMO jank. I play GW2 as well so I'm used to "stuff we really should get around to fixing but in ten years ain't fixed and likely ain't gonna".

Well then, yeah there's your explanation. It's jank and you haven't messed up or missed anything.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Been running a lot of infinite Archive lately in the hopes of getting the Antiquity Leads (curse whoever added 30+ leads to a slot machine), and for some reason I consistently keep getting destroyed about halfway through the third Arc.

Everything will be fine until some sort of legitimate death (that 4-armed marauder appears, forgot to interrupt the firestorm caster, etc.), and then suddenly every trash mob power attack will magically 1-shot me. It's infuriating.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Quick heads-up that the Dro-m' Athra style book is currently available for endeavors or crown gems (legendary tab). It's still a pretty expensive set on guild traders despite having been around for so long so it's definitely worth it if you haven't already collected most of it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I'm trying to figure out inventory management without ESO Plus and I have an innate reticence to get rid of set items thinking I should try to use them. I bind them all, but really should I just not worry about it all and deconstruct everything until level 50?

I am level 30 now.

I am using a mixture of the purple stuff I got from High Isle and then some blue stuff I have from questing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

There is little point in saving set items since you can re-create any you've found at the Clockwork City transmutation station (you can also buy a personal transmutation station from a guild trader or purchase one with crafting writs) in exchange for transmutation crystals. Most sets will be useless for whatever build you happen to be running.

Ideally, you'll want to have an idea of what kind of build you're aiming for (dps/tank/healer, magic/stamina focused, direct damage or damage over time, etc.) then look up what effective set choices for it would be and save any of those you find to reduce costs later on.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dialhforhero posted:

should I just not worry about it all and deconstruct everything until level 50?
Yes, even before reconstruction was a thing the advice was, and remains, don't worry about gear below level 50 cp160. That's the gear cap and it's pretty easy to reach, so until then the only gear thing you should maybe care about is training trait if you're getting most of your xp by killing things (as opposed to quests).

Even after level 50, the vast majority of gear is deconstruction fodder.

For inventory management without eso+ decide if you're keeping mats or not, and if so decide where they're going to go and get them where they need to be regularly. They are the thing that can most get out of control if you don't make a system.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Can I get an invite to Chill Bros Chat Lounge? UserID is @cetraxiv . tyia!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

1 master writ to go before I can buy glass! And about 6 days to go on my triune ring so I can get rid of some pesky master writs hanging about.

Does anyone have a tip about a purple thing I can steal to fence for Embers Favour? I've done everything else but all I can find right now is blue stuff and all the stupid guides tell me there's wonderful things in in places like Vvardenfell but I went to Vox and there was nothing there! And all the nobles in Leyawijn are too suspicious (I have 17 legerdemain, so pickpocketing is doable). Went to Wayrest, I couldn't find a safebox in half the places people claimed there were.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ewe2 posted:

1 master writ to go before I can buy glass! And about 6 days to go on my triune ring so I can get rid of some pesky master writs hanging about.

Does anyone have a tip about a purple thing I can steal to fence for Embers Favour? I've done everything else but all I can find right now is blue stuff and all the stupid guides tell me there's wonderful things in in places like Vvardenfell but I went to Vox and there was nothing there! And all the nobles in Leyawijn are too suspicious (I have 17 legerdemain, so pickpocketing is doable). Went to Wayrest, I couldn't find a safebox in half the places people claimed there were.

I have a great tip for Ember. Just steal some white or green level weapon or armor from some shop and then upgrade it to purple then fence. :science:

Also, congrats on almost getting glass!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

I have a great tip for Ember. Just steal some white or green level weapon or armor from some shop and then upgrade it to purple then fence. :science:

Pro tip! Love the cute warning about not being able to get the item back when you fence it :v:

quote:

Also, congrats on almost getting glass!

What a grind, it never ends. And for the most condescending elf in Tamriel as well. Getting gems together before that Drom'athra book goes away too you can bet those writs will hang around forever, I've already got one.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Finally cleared Arc 4 of the Infinite Archive. The stumbling block ended up being getting a combination of flameshapers and/or those silver blobs in the last 3 cycles. Without another player, it was just practically impossible to keep them all interrupted.

All achievements unlocked except the 4 collectable ones (they take forever to appear) and A Stage for Two (since I've done it all either solo or with a companion). Also, all but 3 antiquity leads found as well (two loom pieces and one unknown).

Some thoughts:

- 30k+ resistances and health are both a must. Ideally you're going to want 40k+ health to handle late-arc marauders.
- Flameshaper > Totem Master > Suneater > Infuser > Spellstealer
- Save trash mob archers and mages for last, since they can't interrupt or power attack.
- Exsanguinate, Pestilent Guardian, Flame Aura, and Fire Orb are all pretty much instant picks for Verses. Pustulent Blob (or whatever it's called) would be an instant pick if throwing it didn't require aiming, though it's also useless against bosses without adds.

I'm torn on optimal Vision choice though. Aside from the three +10% fortification ones (which are great) in general it seems better to aim for offensive ones to more quickly kill the more deadly targets that may appear (my successful Arcanist run had three +3% area damage ones)... and yet there are so many things that can just 1-shot you out of nowhere if your defenses are too low.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Infinite Archive sounds like an awful grind too. I'm not sold on those kinds of mini-games, scrying is annoying enough.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Oh it's absolutely a grind. Antiquity-wise though, at least, I've come around to thinking it's less of one than some of the other lead sources (down to only missing 2 now).

Plus, you can get some very expensive furniture schematics and purple companion equipment to drop as a side-bonus.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I got sucked into tales of tribute. I like it, but its annoying when the cards never fall your way. 3 games in a row id do what i could with the board i had. As soon as i buy a mediocre card a great one pops up for my opponent. I know its just bad beats. Just venting.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Been playing on & off for a week or so, while I'm so used to GW2 (which I still play) I can say while I get annoyed at some of the things (well, every mmo is grindy af so nothing new there) and some things baffle me entirely (the hell is there no minimap? I'm always lost) I'm entirely reminded why I spent so much of my time repeatedly playing the singleplayer elderscrolls (been playing since morrowind) when I boot in. Holyshit are the locations in this damnable timesink some of the best in gaming. And unlike in GW2 I get to actually stop and LOOK at most of them without immediately being wrecked. Gods it's gorgeous in some places. I mean sure, so are parts of other games but here I get to actually stand there and enjoy it and not be repeatedly curbstomped. Is there a blackreach in here somewhere? Or other places that make you go "ooohhhh" when you get there? I love the "weird but scenic" look of most of morrowind & am very much enjoying seeing them in higher rez then the original games. For real this game is now my go to "I need to go see something pretty" screenshot collector.

Oh also actual question - is there a way to repeat any of the quests/questlines with the same character? Or do I need to alt-up to do those again?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
There are tons of mods you can get for eso if you're on pc, including minimaps. https://www.esoui.com/addons.php

Most quests are one time only. Alt is the only way. If you plan to alt later, create it now and park it at a stable to start upgrading speed.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The fact you need a mod for the minimap is actually kind of insane. It's a multi-billion dollar game and some random guy working at his living-room computer has to add base functionality to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's pretty clearly by design

Bad design, personally but

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Tambaloneus posted:

Is there a blackreach in here somewhere?

Blackreach is part of the Greymoor chapter (the Solitude part of Skyrim) and Markath DLC.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's pretty clearly by design

Bad design, personally but
There's a lot of weird bad design in the game. The player auction house setup is an abomination. As is the fact that effective combat relies on janky-looking animation cancelling.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

g0del posted:

The player auction house setup is an abomination.

It really is. Just staggeringly infuriating, in both general concept and implementation.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Offkorn posted:

It really is. Just staggeringly infuriating, in both general concept and implementation.

Agreed.

But also, to help offset that, the guild finder thing is actually pretty slick. I recently joined 3 trade guilds and offloaded years' worth of stuff I had lying around, mostly event runeboxes and crafting motifs, and made around 10 million gold over about a month. Then when I ran out of stuff they all kicked me out for inactivity, which is fair.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Agreed.

But also, to help offset that, the guild finder thing is actually pretty slick. I recently joined 3 trade guilds and offloaded years' worth of stuff I had lying around, mostly event runeboxes and crafting motifs, and made around 10 million gold over about a month. Then when I ran out of stuff they all kicked me out for inactivity, which is fair.

Do they all require dues? I have no where near enough to sell rn, but eventually i will.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

No, it was easy to find ones without dues, they usually just had a weekly or monthly sales minimum to keep you on board.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ZombieCrew posted:

Do they all require dues? I have no where near enough to sell rn, but eventually i will.
They don't all, but it's fairly common. Guilds have to bid each week to get a guild trader, because there are way more guilds than traders. Guild traders in popular spots get very expensive very fast. So guilds with traders generally either require dues, minimum sales amounts (the guild gets a cutback from everything you sell through their trader), or they're getting subsidized by richer players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Couple trading guilds I joined that I really liked. Dues are basically 1 sale a week:

"Entirely Social Outcasts" with a trader at the Windhelm wayshrine. This is a quiet area but all the trading is near the wayshrine, and is a great place to find deals because the traders dont get scraped immediately. Put stuff at a fair price here and it will always sell. The guild is good people.

"Vulcan Commandos" with a trader at the Alinor wayshrine. This is a very popular area for people-watching, so you can get away with listing offers over cost, and supply is low as well.

The Deshaan wayshrine has ones you can join too, though I never did, it is the most active trading area in the game and is the best place to shop in general.