Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I literally haven't seen anything rust worse than those old proteges. And some of the early mazda 3s are just as bad...insane levels of rust in wierd places where you can't really blame the road salt. Everything else rusts where you'd expect, but the old mazdas do it in such strange ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I see mazdas that aren't even five years old rusting out in the rear wheel wells all the time. the wagon mazda 3 rusts so bad. So horribly bad. And the TPMS they used in them is made of a pre-corroded material.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh boy, rust chat! Yours truly in the spring of 1995, the last day I owned my first Scout.

Spent two hours getting her running so my dad could trade her on a new Grand Cherokee.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ulfhednar posted:

I posted this in the terrible car stuff thread a few months ago

and to this day I haven't seen a car this new with rust that bad.

e: removed plate #

I think that model got different badging for export models, which they applied after the vehicle was built. By drilling into the metal and not doing much about re-coating the virgin surface.

Works fine for Australia, where morons in the VW crowd can't make their poo poo rust with the assistance of lemon juice, obviously not the right solution for the US.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Slavvy posted:

What is that, and what did it sound like?

Cooling pump for a reduction gear on our tugboat. Couldn't hear it over the engine, engineer realized it was toast when it started leaking diesel

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

kastein posted:

The one real weak point of the 4.0 for example is the cam, overspeed one past a certain point and the cam goes through a resonant point, i.e. it flops around like a fish out of water until you either go above the RPM it resonates at, drop below it again, or it breaks.
No nth-order exclusion criteria at AMC. :v:

On that note, here's a reman 4.0 a buddy of mine had - cam bearings #2 through 5. These photos were taken ~100mi after break-in. Never did get a definitive answer of what caused the cam bearings to melt and extrude, but I'm inclined to say it was either cut-rate bearings or horrendous bore alignment. This was the first of these I've seen on any 4.0, but some more have popped up on forums, all from the same supplier.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:stonk:

You can't post all of that and not name the supplier, what the hell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah seriously man, I need to know if I should leave the knocky rod bearings in my XJ when I do the mantrans swap or use the bearings I bought. No way in hell will I put that company's bearings in...

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Oh, that was an ATK reman engine. No clue what bearings they use.

I don't remember if I used King or Clevite, but they seem to be intact after thirty minutes of break-in. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Huh. I got Sealed Power, here's hoping...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've never had a problem with Sealed Power.

Waiting for the police report to see if this was the result of a mechanical failure:

Car took out the front steps, railings, sidewalks, etc of eight rowhomes.

(edit) VVV Yeah. not far from Hicks...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 11, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A dollar says that's Philly.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah that looks a lot like South Philly. Hicks?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/05/tunguska-out-of-control/

:stonk:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

dietcokefiend posted:

On that same note I wish I took a picture of it, but I saw a fairly new Mazda 3 that was rusting out to an extreme level. The third brake light in the trunk lid was heavily rusted and perforating, and both rear wheel fender lips were jagged from rust. It was like someone dipped the back of the car in acid. How the gently caress does a car that has only been existing for a few years show more rust than many cars built in the late 80's or 90's in such a short timespan?

Is stuff like galvanized steel not common on asian imports?

My '04 Mazda 3 is the same way. It's the rustiest thing and it drives me crazy. I'm going to have to do some serious rust abatement and body work this summer. I think it has to do with the quality of Mazda's paint and clearcoat around that time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Seems like all Mazdas of that vintage have rust issues. My wife's '03 6 has a pretty bad patch in the passenger side quarter panel and I've seen plenty of other 6s with the same problem.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Geoj posted:

^
Seems like all Mazdas of that vintage have rust issues. My wife's '03 6 has a pretty bad patch in the passenger side quarter panel and I've seen plenty of other 6s with the same problem.

Yeah, I don't know what was going on at Mazda during the early '00s, but their paint is poo poo and the cars suffer for it. I mean, we had a '96 Protege that my wife bought new, and it didn't start to rust until it was well past ten years old. On the other hand, their mechanicals are rock solid. I sold the Protege to a scrapper for 500.00 with 250,000 miles on the clock, and the only reason I got rid of it is because we needed a newer car and I couldn't be arsed to track down all the Protege's electrical gremlins. Still ran (mostly) like a champ when it went on the flatbed.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Could some of you mazda owners post pictures my dad refuses to believe that a car as new as a mazda3 could have any rust on it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Could some of you mazda owners post pictures my dad refuses to believe that a car as new as a mazda3 could have any rust on it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=maz...iw=1600&bih=809

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

This thread has quite a few pictures of rusting 3s:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?25439-Mazda3-owners-with-corrosion-issues-information-here!

I can't believe how bad some of them are after only a couple years. Reading through some of the other stuff there, Mazda Canada has some sort of After Warranty Assistance thing that basically covers much of the car getting sanded down and repainted.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

dietcokefiend posted:

Is stuff like galvanized steel not common on asian imports?

Despite what some whould have you believe galvanized cars still rust, it just takes a bit longer. A regular old rustproofing is a good thing and money well spent if you're actually going to keep a car for any longer period of time (provided you don't live in Arizona or any other of those places where nothing rusts for 300 years).

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The snow storm that blew through a week ago caused some seriously lovely drivers. They couldn't salt the roads because it was pouring rain, and then it pretty much instantly froze with a good 1 1/2-2" of ice on the road. This was at the gas station in front of the Corvette Museum.

The young guy driving looked so upset :(

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Now that's how you deliver tofu! :haw:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

crutt posted:

Cooling pump for a reduction gear on our tugboat. Couldn't hear it over the engine, engineer realized it was toast when it started leaking diesel

Tugboat? Pictures? Company, power, bollard pull?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Despite what some whould have you believe galvanized cars still rust, it just takes a bit longer.

Oh yeah, once you've broken the zinc barrier it's in. It'll spread underneath. All Scout II were galvanized, believe it or not.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

sharkytm posted:

Tugboat? Pictures? Company, power, bollard pull?

Crowley, 4800HP from twin cats spinning voith-schneider blades, indirect bollard pull of 120 tons @ 10 knots, direct pull is like 55 tons. I stole the picture from one of my buddies.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

crutt posted:

Crowley, 4800HP from twin cats spinning voith-schneider blades, indirect bollard pull of 120 tons @ 10 knots, direct pull is like 55 tons. I stole the picture from one of my buddies.

The hell ship is that? Edit: battleship? The lines look familiar, just can't place location.

Also, I love tug boats. Last time I was in Subic Bay I watched one tug get grounded on a sand bar, and then get pulled off by four other tugs, while they were trying to chase a tanker across the bay cause it snapped an anchor chain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wisconsin?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was guessing Alabama, since I-10 is right next to it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Godholio posted:

I was guessing Alabama, since I-10 is right next to it.

The palm trees and being on my phone are loving with me.

I've driven past the Alabama on 10 multiple times, but it still didn't click. Cool photo either way, the old BBs are amazing to walk around on. Touring the Missouri and doing an all military tour to the Arizona memorial with a bunch of WW2 vets was one of my best moments in the navy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alabama doesn't have CIWS and Tomahawk ABLs. That's an Iowa.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I think its the New Jersey.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I think it's the Iowa:

http://www.titansalvage.com/content/search?SearchText=iowa

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

trouser chili posted:

Oh yeah, once you've broken the zinc barrier it's in. It'll spread underneath. All Scout II were galvanized, believe it or not.

Yeah. Ironically, some of the worst cars I've seen (rust-wise) have been galvanized. Since you know, a galvanized car doesn't need rust proofing. :downs:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I think its the New Jersey.

It's definitely an Iowa class, but it would have to be a pretty drat old picture for the New Jersey to have any palm trees around it. She's been sitting in Philadelphia and then Camden since 1999. (I have family involved with the move and restoration)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Touché, I did not notice the CIWS.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

crutt posted:

I think I have been onboard one of those tugs. They were built by Marco, right? My uncle used to work for Crowley and let me and my dad wander around one that was just being finished at Marco. Really cool boats, I have always wanted to try driving one of the crazy z-drive tugs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

crutt posted:

Nice tractor. Cat... 3516's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Alright, I keep lurking in this thread but I finally remembered to take pictures so now I actually have content.

Backstory: Owner thinks the engine overheated yesterday. Doesn't think to check the coolant, tries to run it again today. I think it made a noise and he shut it off. Field tech determined that there was a crack in the radiator and so obviously it had no coolant. Kicks it into the shop for more investigation.

We are not off to a good start...

That fell out of the head when we took it off.

Uhh..

I think you're going to need a new engine...