Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
What tool(s) do you guys recommend for clarifying butter? I used two different kinds of strainers and a fork, and I still couldn't get all the milk solids out. I even ran it through a fine mesh strainer three times and I still didn't get it all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I skim it as the water cooks off then let it settle off the heat then pour off the fat, leaving what's left in the pan. I've never strained it, to the best of my recollection.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CloseFriend posted:

What tool(s) do you guys recommend for clarifying butter? I used two different kinds of strainers and a fork, and I still couldn't get all the milk solids out. I even ran it through a fine mesh strainer three times and I still didn't get it all out.

What Gordon Ramsay(Flash) said, pulling the foam and scum off with a spoon during the cooking process tends to work really well. Another thing you can do is let it cool a bit before straining through your (wire?) strainers, things'll clump around the milk bits after a while. I make ghee more than I make clarified butter, but I've just always used a fine metal strainer and that was that; worked perfectly, too.

Also, not really knowing how you store it - I store mine in a glass peanut butter jar -, if you pour the clarified butter into your container and then flip it so the container is standing on the lid, once everything congeals you can very easily scrape off the milk particulates as they'll have settled on the lid.

VVVVVV - someone in this forum mentioned doing that. I'm just a messenger in this case. I'd suggest however, instead of just putting a lid on, you place a tiny sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the jar before screwing the lid down, to ensure poo poo stays in the jar, and not stuck up inside the lid itself.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 22, 2013

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

flip it so the container is standing on the lid, once everything congeals you can very easily scrape off the milk particulates as they'll have settled on the lid.

:aaaaa: This is loving brilliant.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am looking for a good red sangria recipe...anyone?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Start with Morgenthaler, alter to taste as necessary.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Kenning posted:

Start with Morgenthaler, alter to taste as necessary.

Fantastic. Thank you

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Back on my diet, so no pork chops for me until I do well for, like, a whole month or something. Gonna steam some fish today. Cook some greens along with it probably.

Any suggestions on the fish?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Back on my diet, so no pork chops for me until I do well for, like, a whole month or something. Gonna steam some fish today. Cook some greens along with it probably.

Pork chops are super lean if you make them well, what are you concerned about?

Do this for the fish:

https://vimeo.com/35229150

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Modernist Microwaved Cod

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you were only going to carry six spices with you on a backpacking trip, what do you think you'd get the best effect from?

I've already got salt and black pepper, so four more. I was thinking:

Cumin, Chili Powder, Oregano (or Rosemary), Garlic Powder?

Most meals will be pre-prepared or freeze dried, but I'm looking for "poo poo to season what you found along the trail" kind of spices (and the occasional fish if you're lucky), or to add a little kick to a dehydrated meal.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Chili flakes, sugar, oregano, sesame...

Hard to say without knowing what the meals are, though.

Salt and pepper are a given though.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 22, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you were only going to carry six spices with you on a backpacking trip, what do you think you'd get the best effect from?

I've already got salt and black pepper, so four more. I was thinking:

Cumin, Chili Powder, Oregano (or Rosemary), Garlic Powder?

Most meals will be pre-prepared or freeze dried, but I'm looking for "poo poo to season what you found along the trail" kind of spices (and the occasional fish if you're lucky), or to add a little kick to a dehydrated meal.

Personal pref for me but cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and thyme

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
For me, cumin and coriander go hand in hand always.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Will you be cooking these spices?

Salt, red pepper flakes (or cayenne), stevia, msg, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme... though the cumin/coriander route could work too

Do seriously consider the stevia and msg though

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have a thick sirloin steak and a thin flank steak. Which would be better in a chili?

Is there a goon approved chili recipe? Excluding what's-his-face's packet of french onion soup powder "recipe".

e: It's not fancy meat, just whatever was on sale at costco.

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 23, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Neither. Both are fairly lean and fairly tender already. For chili you want something like a chuck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

M42 posted:

I have a thick sirloin steak and a thin flank steak. Which would be better in a chili?

Is there a goon approved chili recipe? Excluding what's-his-face's packet of french onion soup powder "recipe".

e: It's not fancy meat, just whatever was on sale at costco.
Don't use either. seriously, seriously, don't. Just saute up some peppers and onions, grill that flank steak, squeeze some lime juice if you want, and eat!

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
I have some non-stick cookware that has sustained some light scratching. Is it still safe to cook with?

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 23, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Yes.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

At what point, if any, would it become not safe?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

buttcoin smuggler posted:

At what point, if any, would it become not safe?

When the coating starts flaking, but you shouldn't ask the internet... I am not entirely sure how it actually looks like when you have overheated and the coating turns into carcinogens..

M42
Nov 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

Don't use either. seriously, seriously, don't. Just saute up some peppers and onions, grill that flank steak, squeeze some lime juice if you want, and eat!

Turns out I don't have a sirloin in the freezer like I thought! So I'll do this. Thanks for the advice!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What's the healthiest way to eat Greek yogurt? The plain is too.. well, plain to me, but I think the flavored kinds are too sugary. Is the best bet to do a mix of the two? For example half plain half strawberry.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

actionjackson posted:

What's the healthiest way to eat Greek yogurt? The plain is too.. well, plain to me, but I think the flavored kinds are too sugary. Is the best bet to do a mix of the two? For example half plain half strawberry.

Mix in fruits and nuts.

Edit: If you want it sweeter, try mashing the fruit until it's liquidy or jam-like and mix that in.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 24, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you make it yourself? You can flavor without all the sugar then, just toss in some fruit. If you don't make it then get the plain and add things until you find combinations you like. I find a mashed up banana + another fruit is a good combo for most yogurt.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some honey is also a good mixer, and if you want to be extra special use Manuka honey.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

I like to mix in some scraped vanilla beans (or vanilla extract), and sugar caramelized banana puree.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I've been using strawberries and a bit of maple syrup and then not stir it completely so some parts are sweeter than others.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bowmore posted:

Some honey is also a good mixer, and if you want to be extra special use Manuka honey.

Yeah, plain plus honey is the way to go if you want to be Greek as hell.

E: Beets are starting to show up in the markets here, and beets are pretty rare so I want to use some. I've already made borscht, what other things can I do? I grew up in a beetless household so I have no beet instincts. I know I'm going to fridge pickle some, is there a typical mix for beet brine?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 24, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, thanks for the ideas.

edit: Is there anyway to find out how much added sugar is in the fruity ones? I mean obviously fruit itself has sugar, so I'm trying to figure out how much is natural and how much is not. According to Chobani they add "evaporated cane juice."

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 24, 2013

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Add a little bit of chunky granola for texture.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, plain plus honey is the way to go if you want to be Greek as hell.

E: Beets are starting to show up in the markets here, and beets are pretty rare so I want to use some. I've already made borscht, what other things can I do? I grew up in a beetless household so I have no beet instincts. I know I'm going to fridge pickle some, is there a typical mix for beet brine?

Peel, slice thin, salt and pepper, and layer with dabs of butter. Bake until tender, cover with grated parm.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Recipe crowdsourcing :

Trying to cook for this girl, asked her what her favorite types of foods were. She listed Turkish food, which intrigued me greatly as I've never made anything in that vein before, Nor do I know the first thing about Turkish cuisine.

Things I know she likes: Caramelized onion, avocado, White corn, falafel, goat cheese

Restrictions: She's vegetarian.

Any recommendations? I'm going for impressive but not pretentious.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I bought eight peaches for like a dollar. Of course they were hard and tasted sour. Any idea on what I could do with them? I already wasted 4 of them making an undrinkable peach lassi.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

actionjackson posted:

I love yogurt and we used to make it all the time growing up so it was a breakfast staple. Usually I just toss some honey and a couple spoons full of golden raisins. Maybe a dash of cinnamon or some vanilla extract and stir it just a time or two to roughly mix. Tastes pretty awesome usually.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vogler posted:

I bought eight peaches for like a dollar. Of course they were hard and tasted sour. Any idea on what I could do with them? I already wasted 4 of them making an undrinkable peach lassi.

Let them ripen?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Unripe peaches can be made edible by stewing in syrup, but it's much less hassle to simply

Casu Marzu posted:

Let them ripen

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Recipe crowdsourcing :

Trying to cook for this girl, asked her what her favorite types of foods were. She listed Turkish food, which intrigued me greatly as I've never made anything in that vein before, Nor do I know the first thing about Turkish cuisine.

Things I know she likes: Caramelized onion, avocado, White corn, falafel, goat cheese

Roasted vegetable (pepper, onion) and guacamole tacos with frizzled shallots and a roasted white corn salsa thing with cotija, lime, cayenne, maybe a lil' crema fresca... and most importantly pour margaritas made w/ 3/3/2 tequila/fresh-squeezed-lime-juice/triple-sec at her face

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Recipe crowdsourcing :

The turkish restaurants in my town have "pides", which is kind of like a turkish pizza. I it's a flatbread type of thing with some savory toppings on it. They're shaped like an american football (a flattened one): a point at either end and a bulge in the center. Here they put cheese and veggies/herbs/spices (and meats but that's not an option) on it. So I think you could do a good one with some Caramelized onions + something else.

Another option is "Dolma", which is things stuffed with a rice based filling. I've usually had grape leaf based dolma and they're pretty good. They may be difficult though so be warned.

Red lentil soup is also another good dish. I'm sure you could top it with some of the caramelized onions.

You could also make some turkish tea to go along with it. In Turkey they brew a tea "concentrate" for like 20 minutes or something and then dilute it with water to the desired strength. I don't know if it would work with more western teas though, they might use a special variety. It's served with white sugar to taste.