Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My wife's new job has her getting up at 5:30 so she's looking for a small programmable coffee maker to make her coffee then. What's the thread's consensus for a programmable coffee maker that's not gonna break the bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

$10 smart plug. Set it to give power when you want coffee. The end

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

$10 smart plug. Set it to give power when you want coffee. The end

You need a coffeemaker with a pretty simple manual on/off switch for this to work. Most probably don't turn on automatically when you plug them in.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

withak posted:

You need a coffeemaker with a pretty simple manual on/off switch for this to work. Most probably don't turn on automatically when you plug them in.

Mr coffee simple brew or Moccamaster. There super cheap and best in class with long lasting components. Covered everything there

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

drainpipe posted:

My wife's new job has her getting up at 5:30 so she's looking for a small programmable coffee maker to make her coffee then. What's the thread's consensus for a programmable coffee maker that's not gonna break the bank?

A trip to Goodwill with twenty bucks will get you five coffee makers. Just use those. If any of them have a digital clock on them then they likely have programmable thing and you can just get a manual online to figure out how to do it. Also, a trip to any larger grocery store will almost certainly have a programmable coffee maker, as will Bed Bath & Beyond and similar.

For a comparative analysis and to learn more in general, something like the Wirecutter's thing is gonna be okay to start: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-coffee-maker/

If you are looking for a no nonsense solution for a modest amount of coffee that is programmable I think Mr. Coffee machines come in 5 cup varieties and will be easily serviceable or replaceable and the cheapest by far. No one brand at a super cheap price point will be particularly good but the Wirecutter article should give you an idea of what price points are considered fanciful to modest.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

hypnophant posted:

The encore isn’t really up to espresso grind even with the virtuouso burr so in that sense the barista pro has a leg up on the cc1 (because it includes an espresso grinder), although I have no experience with either.

Then how are you opinionating on either? The encore with the virtuoso burr goes to a very fine setting, fine as baby powder. So it's definitely in range. The only apparent problem is that it only has 40 settings from very coarse to very fine, so for the OCD it's not going to dial in any tighter than.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Then how are you opinionating on either? The encore with the virtuoso burr goes to a very fine setting, fine as baby powder. So it's definitely in range. The only apparent problem is that it only has 40 settings from very coarse to very fine, so for the OCD it's not going to dial in any tighter than.

I have used the encore, though with the default burr, and I agree with the common wisdom that the steps are too wide to dial in espresso effectively even if the minimum grind size is fine enough. I don't see how the burr upgrade can affect that but if someone else has used that setup for espresso, I'm interested to hear about your experience, especially since that would be a much cheaper low end recommendation for espresso than the usual sette 270.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My old machine was a Breville Barista Pro. It's great, especially if you're into darker or medium roasts. It kinda struggles to get hot enough to properly extract light roasts though.

It also comes with a built-in espresso grinder, so you won't need to use the Encore, and you shouldn't. It's not great as an espresso grinder. I used my old Encore with my first espresso machine, and I always ended up annoyed that I was having sour/bitter shots depending on what beans I was using. Getting the Barista Pro, and using the built-in grinder, improved things a lot.

If you've got your heart set on light roasts though, I'd avoid the Barista Pro, I just couldn't get it's thermo-jet to produce hot enough water for light roast extraction.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

hypnophant posted:

I have used the encore, though with the default burr, and I agree with the common wisdom that the steps are too wide to dial in espresso effectively even if the minimum grind size is fine enough. I don't see how the burr upgrade can affect that but if someone else has used that setup for espresso, I'm interested to hear about your experience, especially since that would be a much cheaper low end recommendation for espresso than the usual sette 270.

The burr upgrade results in a more uniform grind. I believe it takes it up to par with the Virtuoso+? It's definitely a step up in quality (I went from Encore to Virtuoso+) but it won't help much with espresso. The limited grind adjustment is much more of a problem.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

hypnophant posted:

I have an Encore with non-Virtuoso burrs and i got a sette 270wi which has micro adjustments (there's a macro step and a micro step). With the microstep adjustment I can taste clear differences while remaining in the larger step size.

The main thing here is that the fineness in direct comparison does not allow for granular enough adjustment so if you aren't happy between 4 to 6 or you're experimenting in greater detail, you're stuck or you need to manually adjust the gear slip under the collar each time you want dial in new beans.

Home espresso, I'm not sure if has been communicated, is not cheap at all. Espresso grinds are intended to be very uniform and consistent and adjustments for them are finer than the notches on the Encore. If the Encore worked as an espresso grinder for most people, then there wouldn't be a need for Eureka Mignon or the Sette or Vario or the Niche.

This is not in any way a means to discourage using what one has, but to temper expectations that you may be limiting yourself by your burr control. If you want something that you can use for espresso that is at the same price point with superior burrs and stepless adjustment, look at something like a Knock Aergrind, because medium to high end hand crank grinders can get to the right consistency.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's a good time to like coffee.

The exact machine that you use is not very important. The most important thing is that you buy beans and grind them shortly before brewing.

All other parts of the process - which brew method you use exactly, whether you filter your water, which beans you use - are less important than that.

I would propose that you get yourself a sampler pack with different kinds of beans and a reasonably priced hand grinder, like a Hario slim. If you have 5-10 bucks left, also get a french press (assuming you have a water cooler / kettle of course).

Then just grind the beans and put the coffee in your machine or french press and go. Typical dosages are around 1:15, or one gram of coffee for every 15 gram of water.

To start with, your coffee can be ground as finely as the pre-ground coffee you buy. Then experiment a little with grinding finer and coarser. If you are grinding too fine, you will introduce harsh and bitter notes (you over-extracted the grounds). Grind too coarse keeps the brew sour (you under-extraced the grounds).

If you are not using your automatic drip maker you can also experiment with brew temperature and duration. Higher temperatures and longer durations increase extraction, but the impact of these variables is smaller than that of your grind coarseness.

James Hoffmann and Scott Rao offer excellent coffee explanations, tutorials and what not.

Your first 2 or 3 cups might be poo poo but after that it'll be massively better than pre-ground coffee, with a minimal investment in effort.

I'll echo all this but also add a link to the Barista Hustle Coffee Compass, which gives you a taste map and what to do to adjust your brews based on what you're tasting.

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/

Use recipes/numbers/ratios as a place to start. Use your tongue to identify what needs to change to move things towards what you want.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

dedian posted:

I'll echo all this but also add a link to the Barista Hustle Coffee Compass, which gives you a taste map and what to do to adjust your brews based on what you're tasting.

Use recipes/numbers/ratios as a place to start. Use your tongue to identify what needs to change to move things towards what you want.

Interesting! I find a lot of people I know find light roasts "vegetal" where I do not. I wonder if I can get someone to let me experiment with them.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The Postman posted:

Interesting! I find a lot of people I know find light roasts "vegetal" where I do not. I wonder if I can get someone to let me experiment with them.

In my experience, the people who have complained of "vegetal" notes are drinking under-extracted shots. I've certainly converted a few people to light roasts after getting them to brew hotter and longer to get into the goldilocks zone.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got a shot pulled for me at a roaster I really love the other day and, unfortunately, I think they dosed way too high? The shot tasted like straight up salt water.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

RichterIX posted:

I got a shot pulled for me at a roaster I really love the other day and, unfortunately, I think they dosed way too high? The shot tasted like straight up salt water.

Maybe. I've definitely had salty shots before. I know that certain beans, particularly ones from Indonesia can exhibit this characteristic. Weirdly enough, I think both under and over-extraction can lead to salty shots. I can't really remember what I did in order to remedy it, as it hasn't happened in a long time. It's almost certainly not meant to taste like that though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

dedian posted:

The compass! I was on mobile so I couldn't dig it out. I had hoped someone would add it :)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

RichterIX posted:

Order 7 shots and then just kinda average the experience out across them to get a better idea of what that blend/bean will usually taste like. Sounds like they didn't clear enough retained grounds before brewing you this cup, or otherwise hosed up the extraction. Notable salinity is a defect and to be avoided.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Refurbished Encore and some others available

https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I use a Baratza Preciso, which rarely pop up in the wild. It was used once in the 10 years the previous owner had it, and never calibrated for fineness. So I did. It rocks for espresso with a dialed-in 11 graduated settings for each of the same 40 as the Encore and Virtuoso, imho, and I wonder if an enterprising, caffeinated goon-built 3rd party add-on might be designed and 3D printed? to convert Encores and Virtuoso without too much fuss or legal chaff from Baratza.
I'm not even sure how the burrs are adjusted for fineness, but that would be the key. Just spitballin, probably a bad idea.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been reading James Hoffmann's World Atlas of Coffee, which I received as an early birthday present. It's really excellent, and serves as a guide to how coffee is grown, harvested and processed all around the world. Highly recommended if you can get hold of a copy!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gunder posted:

I've been reading James Hoffmann's World Atlas of Coffee, which I received as an early birthday present. It's really excellent, and serves as a guide to how coffee is grown, harvested and processed all around the world. Highly recommended if you can get hold of a copy!

I have it too and agree! It is, fittingly, the ideal coffee table book.

Did you get the second edition?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the person bought it direct from Square Mile, Hoffmann's roastery, so it's even signed by the author himself!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gunder posted:

Yeah, the person bought it direct from Square Mile, Hoffmann's roastery, so it's even signed by the author himself!

That is extremely cool!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Do people have any secret accessories that they use for coffee that is actually pretty useful?

For me, recently I got a bunch of bar mats, and we used to use one at the office to hold all our coffee stuff. Fantastic investment for pourover since you tend to get grinds and liquids everywhere. Generally just kinda useful and easy to clean, and I have found it doesn't really impact the performance of any of the scales I use. I dunno if I can get ones custom made for the table dimensions I have, sadly, but if I could I'd absolutely get some.

Runner up secret accessory: a spoon. Just all around useful thing for whacking any remaining grounds out of a bin and futzing with the coffee bed during the brew, or doing the break/clean method with a French press. All in all, I try to keep a spoon handy!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

For pour-overs, not really. Apart from a wooden stirring stick that I got from Hario. It's nice, and wont scratch the glass server I use like a metal spoon could.

For espresso there are loads: A WDT tool from Londinium Espresso, a portafilter funnel, tamper, milk thermometer and jug from Decent Espresso.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I always thought the jug from Decent was kind of overblown, but it is a nice piece of kit to be sure. How do you find you like it?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

aldantefax posted:

I always thought the jug from Decent was kind of overblown, but it is a nice piece of kit to be sure. How do you find you like it?

I like it because it's small (I have the smallest size) and allows me to just steam the 150mls of milk I actually use, thereby avoiding waste. Also the little calibrated hole drilled at the top makes attaching their milk thermometer very easy, which is nice. I also like the fill lines on the inside so that I can pour the correct amount of milk in without having to weigh it out. I guess the spout is meant to be good for making very straight lines in latte art, but I can't pour art for poo poo, so I don't notice that benefit.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
My secret accessory: an OXO Brew spoon/scraper thing. It's supposed to be for scooping grounds out of a container, and it's good at that. It's also proven useful in general use for scraping out jars and the like.

Dumb runner up: an Ember 2 mug. A barista friend got one when Starbucks was getting rid of them and I traded him for a toaster oven, which is probably more useful in AZ.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I've heard that the Ember is actually kinda good. I would get one if it were in stock.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I got a BOGO deal from Amazon when it got cheap enough and I had enough gift certificate dosh to get it. I don't really use it anymore but I think it's a neat enough idea, I just don't have a dedicated plug for the charging base in a spot that I'd trust leaving the mug and the base.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

aldantefax posted:

Do people have any secret accessories that they use for coffee that is actually pretty useful?

For me, recently I got a bunch of bar mats, and we used to use one at the office to hold all our coffee stuff. Fantastic investment for pourover since you tend to get grinds and liquids everywhere. Generally just kinda useful and easy to clean, and I have found it doesn't really impact the performance of any of the scales I use. I dunno if I can get ones custom made for the table dimensions I have, sadly, but if I could I'd absolutely get some.

Runner up secret accessory: a spoon. Just all around useful thing for whacking any remaining grounds out of a bin and futzing with the coffee bed during the brew, or doing the break/clean method with a French press. All in all, I try to keep a spoon handy!

Not sure how secret it still is, but a small spray bottle or eyedropper to add a bit of water to a batch of beans before grinding. It pretty much eliminates the static cling, meaning less stuff sticking to the grinder and shooting out all over the counter

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just wait 20 seconds and give the grinder a love smack to get the grounds out.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The spritz or water is pretty incredible and definitely worth it. I need a spray bottle because I may have dumped a pitcher of water into the bean hopper in a sleepy state a few times. It went from a nice single origin to a Nespresso morning

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The spritz or water is pretty incredible and definitely worth it. I need a spray bottle because I may have dumped a pitcher of water into the bean hopper in a sleepy state a few times. It went from a nice single origin to a Nespresso morning

I've dumped beans into the water reservoir of my bonavita once. I then started dumping water in after my coffee, so it was full every morning.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Will a cast iron skillet be good enough for roasting my own beans?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Azuth0667 posted:

Will a cast iron skillet be good enough for roasting my own beans?

Over a campfire maybe. You don't want to do that in an enclosed area.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've never personally tried it, but it seems like home roasting is one of those things that's pretty hard to do as well as a proper roastery would do it, right? Although maybe it depends on what sort of roast you want to produce, I guess producing an ultra dark roast might be easier than repeatedly getting a good consistent result with a light roast?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This has nothing to do with coffee, but you're all required to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnfxk_slKIk

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I learned about the water spritz in this very thread, so maybe a goon first? I roast at home with a Behmor, but in my attached shop and I have a shop fan to vent smoke out into the neighborhood. My one weird trick is to use a scoop at the end of a roast to drop beans repeatedly into a colander with the fan going to cull chaff and cool beans quicker. Helps control roast a bit also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

I've never personally tried it, but it seems like home roasting is one of those things that's pretty hard to do as well as a proper roastery would do it, right? Although maybe it depends on what sort of roast you want to produce, I guess producing an ultra dark roast might be easier than repeatedly getting a good consistent result with a light roast?

It's actually dead simple to do at home (though smoky as hell) if all you care about is getting a dark or light roast. Precise control and consistency is what is hard to do at home without going down a gear-related rabbit hole.