Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That burger pizza looks like something the Ninja Turtles would enjoy. Also, sandwich cake is super delish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

There should be an elevator operated by a tiny person who yells "Eighth floor! Sausages! Seventh floor! Pepperoni! Sixth floor! Women's department!"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So the girlfriend picked up some old stuff from her ex's house, including an enormous food dehydrator. This model:

However, I'm not allowed to make any jerky in it, since it's clearly labeled as a "VEGI" kiln.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Sever.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't listen to those guys. Make jerky in it and if she severs, so be it. But you might be able to have your cake and eat it too. Or something like that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
There's a pizza place near me (In MERICA) that sells Gyro Pizza.

It's pizza crust topped with gyro meat, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, garlic, and feta cheese. It's fantastic.

They also do a steak and cheese pizza, which gets philly style steak, sautéed onions, green peppers, and provolone and American cheese.

It is also fantastic.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
There's nothing wrong in theory with interesting and diverse things on pizza, but when you go out to Taco Bell and buy already made tacos to put on your wife's effort homemade pizza dough...

Also, if a burrito isn't a sandwich, a calzone certainly isn't http://www.stuartkaplow.com/library3.cfm?article_id=131

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

The best thing about pizza in Sweden is that it get even more depraved as you move farther north. Like this.

everything gets more depraved as you move up north

Smörgåstårta is awesome.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Sjurygg posted:

everything gets more depraved as you move up north

Smörgåstårta is awesome.

Actually things get more depraved the farther from the glorious center of Scandinavia, Stockholm, you get, regardless of if you move north or south. It's just how the depravity manifests itself that differs.

Smörgåstårta can be both awsome and horrifying, depending on what the person preparing it decides to include. Often it's both horrifying and awesome simultaneously.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So the husband staged an intervention because I'm an alcoholic, and it's gotten to the point where my closest friends are concerned about my being a complete rear end in a top hat when drunk. It was a lot to take in, but thankfully, there's non-AA recovery groups that they got me in contact with. I haven't had a drink since Saturday night on the train back home. It's a bit of a challenge to find the motivation to do the things I enjoy, but I am getting out of the house today to visit with my cousin who came over from Paris.

I'm not angry or anything at my friends. I'm more touched that they went to all that trouble to come to me when they're concerned, and want me to get better. I am kind of disgusted with myself. No, that's not fair. I'm disgusted at my actions. If I were a bad person, nobody would have cared what happens to me. I told my husband that I'm proud of him for having the courage to organise something, knowing that it could end poorly. He said, "You're worth fighting for."

The ending to the intervention was kind of anticlimactic. "So, will you take this help?" "OK. I'll do it." "You'll do what?" "I'll go into therapy, and reach out to the recovery groups so that I can stop drinking alcohol, and get control of my addiction to it." "Oh."

I'd kind of made my decision about halfway into the story from my friend in California (who had skyped in). I told myself that if they had help for me, whether it be through groups, or through sliding scale therapists, that I would take it, because I don't feel like I can do this on my own. I let my other friends speak their piece, because I needed help to strengthen my resolve that it's not just one isolated incident, but that it's a pattern of bad behaviours.

This sucks on the one hand because it's something I have to work on while trying to find gainful employment. On the other hand, it's good, because I'll be able to get control of my own life, and not be dependent on drugs to get me through the day.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

dino. posted:

So the husband staged an intervention because I'm an alcoholic, and it's gotten to the point where my closest friends are concerned about my being a complete rear end in a top hat when drunk. It was a lot to take in, but thankfully, there's non-AA recovery groups that they got me in contact with. I haven't had a drink since Saturday night on the train back home. It's a bit of a challenge to find the motivation to do the things I enjoy, but I am getting out of the house today to visit with my cousin who came over from Paris.

I'm not angry or anything at my friends. I'm more touched that they went to all that trouble to come to me when they're concerned, and want me to get better. I am kind of disgusted with myself. No, that's not fair. I'm disgusted at my actions. If I were a bad person, nobody would have cared what happens to me. I told my husband that I'm proud of him for having the courage to organise something, knowing that it could end poorly. He said, "You're worth fighting for."

The ending to the intervention was kind of anticlimactic. "So, will you take this help?" "OK. I'll do it." "You'll do what?" "I'll go into therapy, and reach out to the recovery groups so that I can stop drinking alcohol, and get control of my addiction to it." "Oh."

I'd kind of made my decision about halfway into the story from my friend in California (who had skyped in). I told myself that if they had help for me, whether it be through groups, or through sliding scale therapists, that I would take it, because I don't feel like I can do this on my own. I let my other friends speak their piece, because I needed help to strengthen my resolve that it's not just one isolated incident, but that it's a pattern of bad behaviours.

This sucks on the one hand because it's something I have to work on while trying to find gainful employment. On the other hand, it's good, because I'll be able to get control of my own life, and not be dependent on drugs to get me through the day.

Good on you for taking steps to help yourself, and it sounds like you have a lot of supportive friends (and hubband) so I'm sure you'll do just fine! Good luck :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

:glomp:

Good for you, dino. I applaud your self-awareness and honestly wish you the best.

I will drink a beer tonight in your honor. ;)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Dino you're the man and you got this. We're here in this thread (and IRC!) to listen to you if you ever need to talk it out. :respek:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

dino. posted:

So the husband staged an intervention because I'm an alcoholic, and it's gotten to the point where my closest friends are concerned about my being a complete rear end in a top hat when drunk. It was a lot to take in, but thankfully, there's non-AA recovery groups that they got me in contact with. I haven't had a drink since Saturday night on th...

... about halfway into the story from my friend in California (who had skyped in). I told myself that if they had help for me, whether it be through groups, or through sliding scale therapists, that I would take it, because I don't feel like I can do this on my own. I let my other friends speak their piece, because I needed help to strengthen my resolve that it's not just one isolated incident, but that it's a pattern of bad behaviours.

Glad for you, especially since you found a non-AA option, but tell a funny being an rear end in a top hat drunk story please.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
Super proud of you, Dino. My father was an alcoholic and it killed him WAY too young, I'm very glad that you're going to get well and not leave your loved ones any time soon.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Good for you, dino!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm trying to imagine dino as a mean drunk and failing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Very Strange Things posted:

Glad for you, especially since you found a non-AA option, but tell a funny being an rear end in a top hat drunk story please.

I don't know that I have any funny ones. I was best man at my friend's wedding. The night before, I'd spent the whole night drinking with the bride's dad. The next morning, I was still half asleep. So instead of being there with my best bud, and enjoying the wedding with him, I was passed out on a couch. And that was the least depressing of the stories.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hope you really stick with it and make a change dino, I know how hard all that can be.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

dino. posted:

I don't know that I have any funny ones. I was best man at my friend's wedding. The night before, I'd spent the whole night drinking with the bride's dad. The next morning, I was still half asleep. So instead of being there with my best bud, and enjoying the wedding with him, I was passed out on a couch. And that was the least depressing of the stories.

Well poo poo; that's not funny.
Hey, maybe see if they can cure the Gaiety and Veganism while they're at it. (For serious though, I hope sobriety rocks for you. )

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Alcohol is a very dangerous and powerful drug. Good luck getting your ship straight, my friend. I'm the last person to offer support staying sober but I'm good for a great coffee if you need one.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
dino., does this mean you shouldn't cook anything with wine? I've always been curious if that's a real concern with recovering alcoholics or if that's a ridiculous extreme.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

contrapants posted:

dino., does this mean you shouldn't cook anything with wine? I've always been curious if that's a real concern with recovering alcoholics or if that's a ridiculous extreme.

A highly contentious topic. The official AA line is zero intake of alcohol, cooked or not. And recent research suggests that less of the alcohol cooks off then previously thought.

My personal belief is that it depends on the nature of the individuals addiction. Different strokes and all that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

contrapants posted:

Having both recovering and not so recovering alcoholics in my family it really seems like any amount over 0 is too much.

I think part of the issue though is that (IIRC) a lot of the information states that you never stop being an alcoholic. You never stop being in recovery. There's no cure, no permanent fix where you get to be OK with a moderate amount of alcohol in your system. And any alcohol consumption sends you right back down to square 1.

Whether that's still what's taught in AA, I have no idea. It is probably simpler to say "You've shown poor judgement in the past of what constitutes a reasonable amount of alcohol, so you shouldn't touch it ever again."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Better safe than sorry. Cooking with wine involves having an open bottle of wine in the house, which is maybe an unnecessary temptation, especially early on in sobriety.

From personal experience, I know one alcoholic who HATES the smell or taste of booze, no matter how cooked down it is. He won't even try kombucha because it smells too much like beer to him. He'll eat pie crust made with vodka, but that's about it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've got a buddy who's been sober like 20 odd years. Dude buys those little adult juice boxes of wine to cook with when the occasional recipe calls for it. He's had no temptation to drink the stuff.

For me, it'd be a thing of reality. In medicines, in foods, and in other contexts, alcohol is likely to be a thing. I'm not the type to rules lawyer something to try to get around the stating sober thing. My problem is with having a drink turn into the entire bottle turn into more than one bottle. For now, I'm going full on abstinence because I think I need some time apart from it so that I'm not physically dependent on it.

It's pretty much like any other addictive substance I've had to cut out in the past. It's not something I'll be seeking out but after not having had any for a few years, an occasional thing isn't going to kill me. But that isn't for a few years to come. Right now I'm going for cutting it out.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

dino. posted:

. For now,

Drinking and smoking is not the same thing, I guess, but after I stopped smoking cigarettes for 22 years, I told myself that I could never even try it again or I wouldn't stick with it, I just knew that that was the truth.

Four years of being a happy non-smoker passed and then a new bf started smoking cigars after a short period of him being a non-smoker. He convinced me that cigars were different from cigarettes and I gave it a try.
I've been smoking cigars like cigarretes for the past half year, and I feel like somethings missing every minute I do not spend smoking, I hate that feeling.....I know the cigars are causing it, but the feeling is gone when I do.

I think your story finally made me realise what's happening and it's time to get back in control and stop cold turkey without any exception. I don't think there's any room for a "now and then" if you've got an addiction.

Thanks for sharing your story Dino, and good luck to you!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hang in there, Dino.

When I quit drinking entirely it was part because I saw myself going in that direction. Certainly, I could have "cut back," but I realized that I had tried that before and it had ended in a binge, and that there's no real benefit to "cutting back". Is alcohol so important that you always need some amount? No, of course not. I'll drink my soda water, thank you. I never regret my decision to give it up.

Also this came across my twitter today:

http://www.vice.com/read/this-guy-wants-you-to-go-clubbing-sober

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

dino. posted:

I've got a buddy who's been sober like 20 odd years. Dude buys those little adult juice boxes of wine to cook with when the occasional recipe calls for it. He's had no temptation to drink the stuff.
My dad has been sober for over 20 years, and it's been one of the best decisions he's ever made. It's only been in fairly recent years that he's been comfortable enough with having alcohol in the house to start cooking with wine again. Even then, he doesn't keep alcohol on hand. He buys it as he needs it, uses what the recipe requires, and then pours any leftovers down the drain if there's nobody to give the rest of the bottle to.

quote:

For now, I'm going full on abstinence because I think I need some time apart from it so that I'm not physically dependent on it.
A good decision. But please be wary about thinking about it in terms of "when" you're able to start having alcohol again rather than "if." Please seriously consider the possibility that it's not going to be safe for you to have alcohol ever again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I cut liquor out about 4 months ago, was costing me ~100/wk and we'd go through more than we should. I had some serious back pain last year, and the muscle relaxers wouldn't stop the spasms, and every doctor said I was too young to have chronic pain, so I self medicated with vodka. My back still sucks even with the weight loss, physical therapy, and exercise; but at least I'm not relying on liquor to make it feel better. Still have wine though, but between the two of us we use ~3 bottles a week, including cooking, that seems reasonable.

So good on you dino, get it under control! Also, don't get muscle spasms, that poo poo will make you loving miserable.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Good thoughts all. I'll need to reframe my thinking so that I think of it as a if rather than a when. Hopefully the if won't come up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

Good thoughts all. I'll need to reframe my thinking so that I think of it as a if rather than a when. Hopefully the if won't come up.

It might help to ask yourself what benefit you actually get from drinking in any volume, and weigh that against what it costs you. It helped me, anyway.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I could never reconcile the "all or nothing" approach to drinking that AA goes for when that doesn't really work for like anything else really.

I guess in my experience, over doing it with booze/drugs has always been a symptom of some other poo poo, not an issue in an of it's self. Like, I have never known anyone who was 100% ok but for a booze issue. I have had friends for whom AA has totally turned their lives around but I have had way way more friends for whom it just delayed addressing their underlying issues as it is far easier to blame booze then admit to "my parents really really sucked".

In any case, Dino I hope it goes well for you and you get your poo poo sorted out.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yeah, once I find a sliding scale therapy thing, I'll get onto that. Right now, I'm headed out for my first meeting. A friend offered to come way the gently caress out from middle of nowhere long island to go with me, because he remembers how scary his first meeting was, and he wanted to be there for moral support so that it's not so scary. I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous, because I am. I've been full on sober since Sunday, and I'd like this to continue a little longer, but it's hard to do without some help. Hopefully, the support group thing will end up helping. Wish me luck, y'all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Dude, if you can avoid the "immediately form a relationship with someone in you group" trap you are already super ahead of the curve. Good luck man.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jose Andres wins the icebucketchallenge https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152589804553119&set=vb.39106648118&type=2&theater

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I knew there was more than one reason to idolise the man. :swoon:

First meeting went pretty great. Didn't make new friends yet because I'm still sending out feelers to see how I feel about the whole thing. So far so good. The moderator was very good about keeping things focused and discussing actual things that will be concrete help.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My plan to celebrate my wife's birthday and simultaneously encourage the birth of my daughter is underway! Dinner tonight will be roasted chili and butternut squash soup, with spicy chicarones, followed by grilled jerk pork with a few scotch bonnets in the marinade/sauce. Hopefully, I will have a daughter arriving within 24h...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I heard huitlacoche has been used to induce childbirth in the Americas, see if you can get hold of some of that.