Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also if you really want to level the crafting classes to 50 then wait until you have a bunch of leve allowances, find someone (preferably in your fc) to help you out with making the stuff, and turn in hq leve items. use a guide like this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

if you just want enough money to live on, one gathering job is enough, and it doesn't even need to be maxed. demand for mythril ore is still there because it's an ingredient in mythrite nuggets for example, and people mass producing that poo poo for whatever reason aren't going to pick up their pick and drag their rear end out to southern thanalan to mine a bunch

Speaking of demand, last night there was hardly any Coerthan Tea Leaves on the MB. That stuff is required for archaeornis and wyvern leathers, so if you want to make some cash and can farm it, there's a good money maker right now.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I hope that just meant people figured out you can buy them from a vendor in Foundation.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of demand, last night there was hardly any Coerthan Tea Leaves on the MB. That stuff is required for archaeornis and wyvern leathers, so if you want to make some cash and can farm it, there's a good money maker right now.

Don't pay above vendor price for these - there's a npc, Pasdevillet, who sells them (as well as a few other gathered items) in The Pillarsfor 1500 gil.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

Minh clicks party frames, but they're not clicking the frames, then clicking on cure, then clicking on frames, etc. Their heals are bound 1-6.

Oh still waking up, yeah I thought it was just dogging on people who click healing frames to heal, and like, sometimes there just isn't another option. Clicking frames THEN cure is a recipe for disaster, yes.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you can't really farm coerthan tea leaves because in se's infinite wisdom they made the material required to make the first two leathers come from an unspoiled node

it's why they eventually put them on the vendor in foundation

it's even dumber when dhalmel, dragon and amphipetre leather just take a dark chestnut log which isn't even hidden

oh yeah for god's sake get a dow/dom retainer because with the increased mob hp in heavensward trying to farm like deepeye tears, any sort of skin, dhalmel saliva is a miserable experience

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The retainer would definitely collect more in an hour than you would all day.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks for all the advice on leveling, everyone. Is the best way just to do fates until I'm high enough for dungeons or should I do quests too?

Literally everything in the game, including the dungeons, is locked behind the quests (usually the main story questline, marked by the meteor-symbol, but sometimes sidequests too.)

Do the quests. Really.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Oh still waking up, yeah I thought it was just dogging on people who click healing frames to heal, and like, sometimes there just isn't another option. Clicking frames THEN cure is a recipe for disaster, yes.

Also just because someone at a high level of game play makes it work doesn't mean it's good or will be easier then just doing it the other way. I watched a prot paladin in a high ranked us guild click his abilities while fighting a boss in ruby sanctum. :psyduck:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vadoc posted:

The retainer would definitely collect more in an hour than you would all day.

void glue is the absolute worst because there's just not that many sources of pudding flesh. duties (which you can't unsync cause then it won't drop), six alc leves have a chance to offer some as a reward, and there's a levequest in whitebrim that spawns some puddings to fight

or you can spend a venture and get 20 in forty minutes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

you can't really farm coerthan tea leaves because in se's infinite wisdom they made the material required to make the first two leathers come from an unspoiled node

it's why they eventually put them on the vendor in foundation

it's even dumber when dhalmel, dragon and amphipetre leather just take a dark chestnut log which isn't even hidden

oh yeah for god's sake get a dow/dom retainer because with the increased mob hp in heavensward trying to farm like deepeye tears, any sort of skin, dhalmel saliva is a miserable experience

It kind of makes sense to me, in that they wanted leatherworking to have a steep barrier to entry because that's where almost all the new gathering gear comes from.

It also worked out well for me because I overcame that barrier and made out like a bandit selling new gathering gear in the first few weeks.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What retainer classes should I have? I decided to start throwing my money into the empty pit that is crafting, so now I have three retainers because my first two were getting pretty full.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Combat and/or fishing. Botany and mining doesn't bring you anything that you can't just get yourself with minimal time investment, while combat and fishing provides items that are highly RNG dependent.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Also just because someone at a high level of game play makes it work doesn't mean it's good or will be easier then just doing it the other way. I watched a prot paladin in a high ranked us guild click his abilities while fighting a boss in ruby sanctum. :psyduck:

It's more like, do what works for you, but also be aware of what the limitations are. There are clickers, bless their loving weirdo hearts, in world first groups, and some people can do it without suffering a loss of utility.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use them for a ton of stuff, but I also click about half my buttons with my mousepointer.

:agreed: but mostly those are buttons with big bear cooldowns b/c my pinky and ring fingers are apparently dicked up and using cntrl and shift mods for more than a few moments in an hour hurts like a bitch. re-binding all the 1234etc keys to poo poo surrounding wasd has improved my leet skills twicefold, thanks to dr. fenra's quick tank tips course

Doublestep posted:

giving up camera control to click an action :whitewater:

if i needed to see anything other than oppressors rear end to make sure it's not tethered i'd be something other than a tank

fite me taresh

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Miner and botanist retainers are somewhat situational. They won't have the option of bringing back unspoiled, ephemeral, or (aggravatingly) any level 50+ hidden items, but they can get more common stuff en masse, as well as hidden items below 50 (notably if you're into gardening: seeds). Fishers are a bit better since they can directly gather specific fish for you (in some cases including time or weather sensitive fish), which avoids some of the usual RNG nature of fishing. Alternatively, a fisher retainer can jump back into the RNG even more to try to win the Gestahl lottery on the 18-hour venture.

None of the three will get you nearly the variety that you'll be able to get by going out gathering directly, but they're a nice easy source of common poo poo. Miner and botanist retainers are also a good source of shards for sub-50 crafting; for crystals and clusters you might as well go with aetherial reduction, though retainers can bring you crystals as well.

DoW/DoM are really the best retainers though, since they get you things where you'd have to farm mobs to get them. And while there's an unlimited supply of ore/wood/fish for anyone who wants them, there's only a finite number of mobs out there, they don't drop poo poo half the time, they don't drop the specific poo poo you want most of the other half, and only the person with initial tag can get a drop in the first place. So they save you more tedium than the other kinds of retainers even if there's no competition, and they save you from dealing with competition on top of that.

Personally I have four retainers, one of each variety, but my DoW (marauder) retainer has been doing most of the legwork recently. And if I were feeling indulgent enough to get more, I expect I'd make the others be DoW/DoM as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean it really isn't that bad in this game. Clicking is just fine and doesn't hinder you as long as you :gitgud:, but that applies to basically all input methods.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i knew a dude in eve who did fleet logistics on the regular

he was a quadriplegic and infinitely better at it than 90% of people i saw :eyepop:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vil posted:

Alternatively, a fisher retainer can jump back into the RNG even more to try to win the Gestahl lottery on the 18-hour venture.

Got mine on my second level 18 ex. Someone also said that other gatherers can get them with their respective level 18 field ex as well.

If you see one around, make sure to target it, do a /handover and then after you feed him do a /pet to rub his belly.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Summoner feels so awful in A4S. I knew I should've gone BLM again. :negative:

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

It's more like, do what works for you, but also be aware of what the limitations are. There are clickers, bless their loving weirdo hearts, in world first groups, and some people can do it without suffering a loss of utility.

World first groups have to sacrifice skill for scheduling more often than you'd think.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Pews posted:

World first groups have to sacrifice skill for scheduling more often than you'd think.

I think clicking non-rotational, non emergency abilities is a lot more common than you think.

For content, there was an updated Eorzea Census released today, which shows a growth of nearly 24,000 players clearing A1S in the last 2 weeks, and about another 35k doing regular Alex for the first time.

Niton fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 9, 2015

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the other side of the fence is people who get really amazingly snotty about how many keybinds they have like the guy who claimed that he used 44 keybinds to play fire mage in wow, a class about as complicated as pre-hw blm except without the whole "switching to umbral ice to regenerate your mana" thing

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 9, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Gotta macro those erp replies for maximum tcomes per hour

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

There's probably other more subtle things too but he also played a lot of WoW along with like, literally everyone else into MMOs and no matter what he did the game was going to be compared to WoW, so of course it's the largest influence.

The one other major thing from DAoC's lineage is the combo/positional system for melee DPS. That was something only DAoC only ever really did (as far as MMOs went, anyways), and you can see the influence pretty clearly in how Monk/Dragoon/Ninja were designed.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Aion had combos, as well, including something I really hope gets added later on in 3.x or in 4.0: Single-button default combos.

Aion had a big list of all of your characters' combos that you could open, and you could set a default skill path for the first skill in each chain. So a Paladin could set their Fast Blade auto-combo to be Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Rage of Halone, then press 1 -> 1 -> 1 for the basic combo, 1 -> 1 -> 2 for Royal Authority, or 1 -> 3 -> 4 for Goring Blade. With how many buttons you wind up using, freeing up a couple of valuable primary buttons would go a long way toward fighting bloat.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 9, 2015

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A couple pages back, but:

ChaosSora posted:

So, I've had some fun pvp matches recently.

This one happened a day or two ago and still makes me laugh.

I'm pretty sure I was in on this match, too. Wasn't Maelstrom in 1st for most of it?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

All this DAoC chat has reminded me how much I miss playing Friar. If there's a class I'd like to see added, it's that one.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
actually i have reliable inside information (my canadian girlfriend is facebook friends with tanaka) that pup is in the next expac

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Niton posted:

Aion had combos, as well, including something I really hope gets added later on in 3.x or in 4.0: Single-button default combos.

Aion had a big list of all of your characters' combos that you could open, and you could set a default skill path for the first skill in each chain. So a Paladin could set their Fast Blade auto-combo to be Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Rage of Halone, then press 1 -> 1 -> 1 for the basic combo, 1 -> 1 -> 2 for Royal Authority, or 1 -> 3 -> 4 for Goring Blade. With how many buttons you wind up using, freeing up a couple of valuable primary buttons would go a long way toward fighting bloat.

At some point they are going to have to address this. There's no way they can add 5 more abilities in the next expansion as well.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Niton posted:

The way the macro system works seems almost designed to keep you from being able to do this, but yeah, what Fister Roboto said, this would be a great way to make hotbars usable if they add yet 5 more abilities in 4.0.

If I mashed 1 for butcher's block, two for eye, and 3 for path, that would leave so much room for activities.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

The way the macro system works seems almost designed to keep you from being able to do this, but yeah, what Fister Roboto said, this would be a great way to make hotbars usable if they add yet 5 more abilities in 4.0.

If I mashed 1 for butcher's block, two for eye, and 3 for path, that would leave so much room for activities.

I don't think you want to change it purely to "spam 1 for this, spam 2 for that other thing", though - Aion struck a really nice balance where you might have 2 or 3 chains off the same 1-step, and one of them would auto-chain while the other two would have to be manually triggered. If a new skill chain came with a different base skill, that'd be enough to make 5 new skills work.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I remember Tera having chaining combos but I can't remember if it actually did anything beyond changing what the abilities did in combos.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it makes them animate faster typically from what i saw

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Niton posted:

I don't think you want to change it purely to "spam 1 for this, spam 2 for that other thing", though - Aion struck a really nice balance where you might have 2 or 3 chains off the same 1-step, and one of them would auto-chain while the other two would have to be manually triggered. If a new skill chain came with a different base skill, that'd be enough to make 5 new skills work.

Right, but the combos just aren't as complicated in XIV. Warrior has a grand total of 3, two of which chain off the same ability, so 3 buttons that autoadvance toward the 3 available would be able to sub in for the 6 currently required, an even bigger deal considering all combo buttons are in "high value" locations and occupy pretty much all of most people's easy-to-hit button area.

Now if 4.0's big gimmick was more/fancier combos, and now Warrior has 6 of them, but also adds this feature, suddenly you can do more poo poo with the same amount of buttons, as what I previously had 6 single abilities I was comboing, I had 6 combo buttons I'd mash depending on what I'm going for.

Edit: To be clear also I don't know EXACTLY how Aion's works because I haven't really played it, so I'm processing this in a way that would make sense for XIV and not really thinking or caring about how the nitty gritty is implemented in Aion. And how I think it would work in XIV is I would have a combo button for the end skill in every combo, and pushing them would advance in that direction. If 1 was Butcher's Block, 2 was Storm's Eye, and 3 was Storm's Path, mashing 1 would autoadvance to skull sunder and then butcher's block, but if I pushed 2 or 3 at any point it would do Heavy Swing to start those combos. If I pushed 2 or 3, both would change to maim, then if I hit either of them, they'd both change to eye and path, respectively.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 9, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

At some point they are going to have to address this. There's no way they can add 5 more abilities in the next expansion as well.

Being someone who tries to have everything keybound: Honestly I'm already dreading getting my 50-60 BLM abilities.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Oxyclean posted:

Being someone who tries to have everything keybound: Honestly I'm already dreading getting my 50-60 BLM abilities.
The level 60 BLM rotation is eight buttons total. Be Not Afraid.

e: Nine, forgot raging strikes

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If Summoner gets more timers my brain dps is going to melt

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Scrublord Prime posted:

If Summoner gets more timers my brain dps is going to melt

I should really actually try SMN 60 now that I got to it yesterday, though mostly for SCH, but it DOES seem like that's also moving in the direction of consolidating and bulking dots what with Tri-Disaster, leaving room for more dots and bulk dots in 4.0 :getin:

Level 61 trait: Tri-Disaster now has a 10s cooldown. Now enjoy Bio/Miasma III and insert name of A12S tankbuster ability here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I should really actually try SMN 60 now that I got to it yesterday, though mostly for SCH, but it DOES seem like that's also moving in the direction of consolidating and bulking dots what with Tri-Disaster, leaving room for more dots and bulk dots in 4.0 :getin:

Level 61 trait: Tri-Disaster now has a 10s cooldown. Now enjoy Bio/Miasma III and insert name of A12S tankbuster ability here.

Get used to seeing your character start to do the Akh Morn animation and then suddenly stop because you were a half second late on it.

• Locked thread