Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sub Harrison posted:

The Strawhats are setting up to take down Kaido, while Blackbeard will finish off Big Mom. Then it'll be Luffy, Teach and Shanks racing to Raftel.

So did you skip the last page of this chapter or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Sub Harrison posted:

loving CALLED it they're running away! Blackbeard is showing up to finish the Big Mom pirates cause what else are they doing with the weapons they stole from the Revs

lmao Oda spends an entire chapter having Brook, Nami, and Bege repeat "run away!" talking points from this thread and then undercuts it on the last page with Luffy being Luffy, and people still think they're going to run away.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
at this point theyre going to run away (after luffy repels big mom or whatever hes doing). they dont have nearly the manpower to take down all of big mom's forces. of course this is one piece and some crazy intervention might happen but they're not fighting this with the manpower they currently have.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i legitimately have no care which direction it goes. oda's storytelling broke out of a sorta rut post timeskip and has been so on point in every aspect - dialogue, events, character design, panel layout - for a while now and this arc is loving amazing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont think they can just get away. something else crazy has to happen. we're at the arc climax so something loving insane has to finish off the arc imo...

(and no oddium, jinbe wont die)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're not going to run away until Pudding takes a hit for Sanji and he gets real mad and beats Big Mum up himself.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I noticed something very important going through the chapter again:

Pandawoman has a gatling gun.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm glad we're at the point where every Supernova is getting to do something cool and good and inevitably join the Strawhat Armada. If Oda could make Bege into a legit cool dude despite his backstory being "the most Chaotic Neutral gangster" and being kinda dull until Whole Cake, I'm looking forward to seeing how he manages to salvage Hawkins.

And the eventual reveal of what Jewelry Bonney's deal actually is

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

And the eventual reveal of what Jewelry Bonney's deal actually is

Eating pizza and reading news.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I definitely want to see more of the Supernovas in general. I'm looking forward to Kaido because that's where half of them are/were before Kaido crushed them, and I'm interested in finding out more about Drake and what his goals are.

Bonney would also be cool to see again because she's great.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i really like the supernovas all having their own goals and means to achieve their goals and it would feel cheapened with all the supernovas just joining in various points (also with all that god drat time we spent on the strawhat armada in dressrosa i expect that to be the gang)

like x drake and bonnery will probably help the straw hats in some way the apoo alliance seemed really loving cool until kidd got jobbed beyond belief and then based urouge did what kidd could only dream of (maybe after getting jobbed the entire manga kidd awakens his fruit and crashes the moon that enel is on down to earth)

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 30, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of amazing how everyone turned around on Bege in such a short time.

I've always been big on bege :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the Supernovas are cool. Which is why it's going to be great when Kaidou arc happens because like 5 of them will be around of various allegiances.

E:

drjuggalo posted:

i really like the supernovas all having their own goals and means to achieve their goals and it would feel cheapened with all the supernovas just joining in various points (also with all that god drat time we spent on the strawhat armada in dressrosa i expect that to be the gang)

like x drake and bonnery will probably help the straw hats in some way the apoo alliance seemed really loving cool until kidd got jobbed beyond belief and then based urouge did what kidd could only dream of (maybe after getting jobbed the entire manga kidd awakens his fruit and crashes the moon that enel is on down to earth)

Kidd got beat once by a Yonkou I think you can cut him some slack.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 30, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the Supernovas are cool. Which is why it's going to be great when Kaidou arc happens because like 5 of them will be around of various allegiances.

E:

Kidd got beat once by a Yonkou I think you can cut him some slack.

twice by a yonkou. he lost his arm to big mom and just got offscreened by kaido

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kild posted:

twice by a yonkou. he lost his arm to big mom and just got offscreened by kaido

Losing an arm in a timeskip and replacing it with a giant mechanical one ain't really jobbing though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lowercase16 posted:

lmao Oda spends an entire chapter having Brook, Nami, and Bege repeat "run away!" talking points from this thread and then undercuts it on the last page with Luffy being Luffy, and people still think they're going to run away.

It's not just Luffy being Luffy, it's Sanji being Sanji. His family went out to act as a sacrifice and distract Big Mom's forces long enough that Gangster Gastino could airlift everyone else out and fly away, something that would imply his family couldn't get away and which not just Luffy, but Sanji wouldn't stand for. As long as someone is left behind neither of them is really going to go for it, and someone has to be left behind for that plan to work. Which means it's not going to happen. I have no idea how someone could read that last page and conclusively figure it's proof they're running away.

drjuggalo posted:

I doubt all the Supernovas are going to join the Strawhat fleet, but I'd imagine at least a few will and don't see how they (or anyone else) joining the fleet and it not just being forever the initial 7 child crews cheapens things or why it would have to be because there was so much time spent on those particular crews in the arc that established Luffy having a fleet. That'd be like saying the crew should forever have stopped growing after Enies Lobby because we spent so long on Robin and Franky.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're not going to run away until Pudding takes a hit for Sanji and he gets real mad and beats Big Mum up himself.

Man, you just don't get Sanji at all.

On the other hand Sanji likes Pudding and she did feed Luffy. If she gets hurt protecting Sanji then Luffy's gonna get real teed off.

The real turning point is going to be Luffy finding out Streusel can turn anything into meat, and then Big Mom will Merc him and Luffy's hat will turn black with rage.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
theyre running away because they just dont have the means to win. everyone, even the germa, agree that its an impossible fight. luffy and sanji are working with the germa to ensure caesar and bege arent intercepted but they wont be too far behind when everyone else is safe. its going to be hard enough to escape and im betting some of the germa kids or judge may not make it out

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Some said it was impossible to face down the World Government and get someone back from CP9. Others said it was impossible to break into and out of I'll Impel Down. To Luffy, impossible is just a word.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snazzy Frocks posted:

everyone, even the germa, agree that its an impossible fight.

Everyone, except Luffy. Who has multiple times made attempts to start fighting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snazzy Frocks posted:

theyre running away because they just dont have the means to win. everyone, even the germa, agree that its an impossible fight. luffy and sanji are working with the germa to ensure caesar and bege arent intercepted but they wont be too far behind when everyone else is safe. its going to be hard enough to escape and im betting some of the germa kids or judge may not make it out

Luffy is running away from running away.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well unless luffy is about to develop some power capable of eliminating an entire yonkou army i dont know what youre expecting

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snazzy Frocks posted:

well unless luffy is about to develop some power capable of eliminating an entire yonkou army i dont know what youre expecting

Everyone trained for 2 years for a situation like this. Nami and Chopper just need to learn to believe in themselves.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

me, in what is apparently my first time ever reading a one piece chapter: things ain't looking great for this Mr Monkey here... he's gonna fall back

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
people also said i was crazy when i predicted that carmel had big moms powers and big mom ate her to get them

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shoren posted:

Some said it was impossible to face down the World Government and get someone back from CP9. Others said it was impossible to break into and out of I'll Impel Down. To Luffy, impossible is just a word.

Sure, but Luffy didn't defeat Magellan while escaping Impel Down, and didn't even fight the Buster Call VAs while escaping Enies Lobby.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Carrot, the Germa 66 and possibly others to fight toe to toe with various members of Big Mom's crew while Luffy takes on Big Mom. He doesn't need to defeat her whole army, because he's got allies with him to help do it, even if some of them are reluctant.

Silver2195 posted:

Sure, but Luffy didn't defeat Magellan while escaping Impel Down, and didn't even fight the Buster Call VAs while escaping Enies Lobby.

He also never talked about defeating either of those and was already spent fighting other government forces in Enies Lobby, one of whom was probably far stronger than any of those Vice Admirals regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 30, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
theyre outnumbered by far and we dont even know what gatling gun crazy panda girl even does

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snazzy Frocks posted:

theyre outnumbered by far and we dont even know what gatling gun crazy panda girl even does

The Strawhats were also outnumber by a factor of tens of thousands at Fishman Island, that didn't make any difference there.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Probably job to the Strawhats.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Luffy beat up a thousand strong army single handed while starving in the rain. The Straw Hats collectively destroyed a giant army just after the timeskip. The strongest commander is already down, Sanji dodged an attack by the second strongest, Chopper captured another, Pedro matched another in a duel. They are all set to take on Big Mom.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Luffy beat up a thousand strong army single handed while starving in the rain. The Straw Hats collectively destroyed a giant army just after the timeskip. The strongest commander is already down, Sanji dodged an attack by the second strongest, Chopper captured another, Pedro matched another in a duel. They are all set to take on Big Mom.

No, Luffy lost that fight. And Cracker was second-strongest at best; Katakuri is the strongest. Pedro matched Tamago, who isn't even a Sweet Commander.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

This entire chapter was about why running away isn't going to happen. So it's not going to happen.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
guys even if luffy theoretically is too weak to take down big mom, he still has to be strong enough to take down kaidou considering that's the next arc lol

every single arc has luffy struggle at the mid point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

There's definitely not a way Luffy can get really angry, yell, and disable the vast majority of Big Mom's crew in such a way that only the elite fighters that he, Sanji, Bege's crew, his crew and the Germa would have to handle.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just realized that this thread is going to be arguing about this until either Tottoland is far behind on the horizon or Luffy lands the knockout blow on Big Mom and got really tired.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

me, in what is apparently my first time ever reading a one piece chapter: things ain't looking great for this Mr Monkey here... he's gonna fall back

How can he get past that Sea King? It took Shank's arm!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
there are only a few people on big mam's side who actually matter and jinbe is there too

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cloks posted:

How can he get past that Sea King? It took Shank's arm!

That only became strange hundreds of chapters after the fact, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i honestly don't understand how someone could read that chapter, where they had a single chance to escape and didn't, and think they're still going to run away