Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Tahirovic posted:

If it's not Victoria III now I kinda wonder why, they know how much their fanbase wants that game so it's obviously be a good money maker.

Intimidated by the prospect of having to recapture the spark of Vicky 2 while actually making a game that meets their new standards of stability and coherence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

If it's not Victoria III now I kinda wonder why, they know how much their fanbase wants that game so it's obviously be a good money maker.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Intimidated by the prospect of having to recapture the spark of Vicky 2 while actually making a game that meets their new standards of stability and coherence?

I think it's a combination of that and Vicky 2 not actually being as popular as the people who like it (like me) like to think it is. Victoria fans are very VOCAL, but I don't think the game itself actually made sales anywhere near titles like EU or HoI. When something is really beloved by a very small group of very hardcore people it puts you in the situation of "nothing we make will actually live up to their expectations, and even if it does nobody else will buy it anyway", so I can kind of understand them being hesitant.

If they aren't going to make a proper Victoria 3, I wish they would at least make use of some of the more interesting systems in other titles like the super detailed pops/economy. Those would have fit great in Stellaris.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

HoI4 and Stellaris both showed that standard already disappeared for releases. So no time like the present for Vic3.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I was very excited when I first heard that Stellaris would have things called "pops" and was then immensely disappointed with how it actually turned out. Both the fluff setting and the actual gameplay seem like they would work the best with a more in-depth population system than pretty much any other modern PDX game, but instead they just went with a poorly thought out Civ ripoff that's still holding the game back 2 years later and probably will for at least another 2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's a combination of that and Vicky 2 not actually being as popular as the people who like it (like me) like to think it is. Victoria fans are very VOCAL, but I don't think the game itself actually made sales anywhere near titles like EU or HoI. When something is really beloved by a very small group of very hardcore people it puts you in the situation of "nothing we make will actually live up to their expectations, and even if it does nobody else will buy it anyway", so I can kind of understand them being hesitant.

If they aren't going to make a proper Victoria 3, I wish they would at least make use of some of the more interesting systems in other titles like the super detailed pops/economy. Those would have fit great in Stellaris.
I've got a great pricing model for this situation: The price scales inversely to how many people have bought the game already, but the earlier you buy it the more cosmetic/sound DLC and forum icons are thrown in with the game.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 15, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Latest hint is

"The amount of each goods produced is important."

Lmao Johan

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

algebra testes posted:

Latest hint is

Lmao Johan

Oh God it's another England expansion for eu4 buffing the eltham ordinance.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gently caress's sake, I loathe multi-tier "special" editions.

You're telling me the next game will have a limited supply?

F this you're dead to me.

I'm trying really hard not to assume it's vicky and it's really hard. It could still be a new property but drat you cocktease johan.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

algebra testes posted:

Latest hint is

Lmao Johan

I can’t wait for the curve ball to be it’s not Vicky, but a new game set from 1836 - 1935 called Bismarck.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Groggy please go take a picture of Johann, he must be so super happy trolling us all with these hints.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
This is some top-tier trolling on Paradox's part.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Diocletian confirmed.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Well it's good news either way. That hint at least semi-confirms some kind of grand strategy game with at least some focus on production and consumption. Victoria 3, Bismack 1, Industrial Revolution 101 the game, whatever the name, I want it!

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Yeah same, I can't wait to see what this is.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's me. I'm the one who wanted that :allears:

hell, same

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

It's gonna be a triangle trade game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

an opium smuggling game set in the golden triangle?

Okay, a bit more risqué than I'm used to from Paradox, but I'm interested.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

EU Rome also had resource production and trading, didn't it? It wasn't as granular as Vicky, but it was there.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What Paradox GSG doesn't have trade and production? Even CK2 has the Silk Road.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ofaloaf posted:

What Paradox GSG doesn't have trade and production? Even CK2 has the Silk Road.

I think that doesn't technically involve production and goods, though; there's just money which is generated by the state of china and goes down the road. In EU and Vicky you generate specific poo poo to trade, but in Vicky the type of goods matters more, since the value of things in EUIV is fixed barring certain events.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's gonna be a triangle trade game.

does it come with slave tetris

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's me. I'm the one who wanted that :allears:

Wouldn't that basically just be an EU4 with lower (or higher I guess since it starts at 3000 BC or something) year numbers and different factions? I can't imagine a Bronze Age game playing significantly differently.
I'll happily be proven wrong though :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a grand strategy game about murdering the neanderthals, spreading the proto-human population to the distant corners of the planet while protecting against draughts and famines and plagues, could be fun, maybe, in a plague-inc kind of way

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
These hints are killing me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Prav posted:

does it come with slave tetris
Half the game will be customizing your ships and designing their layout when fully stocked, allowing the player to optimize their design for the different cargo types and their current price.

double nine posted:

a grand strategy game about murdering the neanderthals, spreading the proto-human population to the distant corners of the planet while protecting against draughts and famines and plagues, could be fun, maybe, in a plague-inc kind of way
Pre-civilization: A plague upon the Earth

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

groogy, hire us, we have great ideas and no implementation ability

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Tahirovic posted:

Groggy please go take a picture of Johann, he must be so super happy trolling us all with these hints.

I would if you spelled my name correctly :colbert:
I can say though his face is looking a bit like this -> :smug:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's a game set in Bronze Age antiquity where you have to manage your pops and produce goods (grain, pottery, olive oil).

Caesar III / Pharaoh remake confirmed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It's a game set in Bronze Age antiquity where you have to manage your pops and produce goods (grain, pottery, olive oil).

:vince:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Groogy posted:

?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Well, that was uncalled for.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Sorry, it was just the smuggest photo I could think of off the top of my head.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

I'd love a new ancient city builder...but I'd really like to avoid the old Impressions paradigm of walkers and self contained blocks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

walkers rule catchment radiuses drool

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Groogy posted:

I mean, that's the whole point of the hints, right. He's trolling us hard and we love him for it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

idhrendur posted:

I mean, that's the whole point of the hints, right. He's trolling us hard and we love him for it.

do we ????!?!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

double nine posted:

do we ????!?!

Yes you do

Safe word is "Victoria 3 will never be released"

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

double nine posted:

do we ????!?!

Well, I find it hilarious, at least.

Though the hype is getting to me. I had a dream Vic3 got announced (and I got a boxed copy, I guess?), even though I'm firmly in the camp that believes them when they said it won't get announced this year.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Groogy posted:

Yes you do

Safe word is "Victoria 3 will never be released"

that's not a very safe safeword.

Mine is "DLC".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!