Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know I’m late, but I watched The Midnight Sky tonight and it was just dull as dishwater for the most part. I kinda dig the tone of Old Man Clooney by himself at IKEA Base in the beginning, but all the space scenes are just total nonsense and they don’t even look that good. Also, how the gently caress does completely blank slate Kyle Chandler still get any work when Ron Livingston exists for what would almost certainly be the same salary?

If you want something similarly bleak and space-based just watch Aniara instead.

Shut your mouth about Coach Taylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

He ain’t even mildly interesting white bread like Sara Lee or Mrs Baird’s, he’s the Great Value store brand of actors. He’s been completely generic and forgettable in everything I’ve seen.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Finally catching up with the world and watching Queen’s Gambit and holy poo poo I cannot take the kid from Love Actually seriously

It’s like real life Vincent Adultman with his baby face

Stretched out David Spade as a kindergartner looking rear end

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

cant cook creole bream posted:

Every one of American Dad.

Rapture's delight or whatever it's called is my favorite episode of the show, that or in country club.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just finished Little Fires Everywhere and yeah that was good stuff

Reese Witherspoon has been killing it for a while now

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know I’m late, but I watched The Midnight Sky tonight and it was just dull as dishwater for the most part. I kinda dig the tone of Old Man Clooney by himself at IKEA Base in the beginning, but all the space scenes are just total nonsense and they don’t even look that good. Also, how the gently caress does completely blank slate Kyle Chandler still get any work when Ron Livingston exists for what would almost certainly be the same salary?

If you want something similarly bleak and space-based just watch Aniara instead.

Yeah, I watched it the other day and I agree. It felt like they had two half-movies sitting around and then they mashed them together and we were still left with a single half-movie without an ending.

I mean I comprehend what they were going for, but it was just a piss-poor execution.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched Skate Kitchen and started watching Betty and it’s weirding me out that it isn’t a continuation of the movie’s story. I thought it was a spin-off rather than just based on it. Both are great, though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Samuel Jackson kills it in the Netflix 2020 special lol
It got slated in reviews (and I think its weird that anyone is reviewing a Charlie Brooker end of year special) but I thought it was decent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Death To 2020 was alright but didn’t love it. Enough good lines and performances to make it worthwhile, though. The narration was weird because it would absolutely have suited Brooker’s voice but it didn’t sound natural coming from Fishburne.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Death To wasn’t as good as Wipe, but still enjoyable enough. Having celebrities took away from it except for SLJ during the BLM section. Lack of Shitpeas loses it a point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LionArcher posted:

A very silly critic for vanity fair who gets paid for hot takes says the show is good but has a sexual assault in episode 6? And this is being argued about online. Some saying it is, others saying it’s not.

She also then says Wonder Woman 1984 is great and makes no mention of apparently the much clearer sexual assault because white feminism?

Bridgerton He tries to pull out, and she prevents him. It's pretty clear.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Coach Taylor once glared at me in Brooklyn and I suddenly felt like a kid who should be putting more effort on the field

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pentyne posted:

it's in every single youtube video making jokes about Rick saying something like "best I can do is $5, I'm taking all the risk" but when you watch it they lowball the gently caress out of everything because even on the show either its something way more common then the seller thinks, or it's so niche and high end it's a wait years for a good auction type of thing.

the best delusional guy was this older dude who had a buffalo hunting rifle from the 1800s who wanted like $40k, and when the "expert" said it was a $10k gun the guy started talking about how he'd talk the gun down off the mantlepiece and talk with his friends for hours about the old west and that's why it was so valuable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8vjXaubhf4

The best delusional guy was the one who thought that he had a photograph of Lincoln and lost it when it turned out to just be a photograph of some guy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When I lived in Kansas, I used to go to a bar that would have Hardcore Pawn on all the time, that is my pawn shop TV show story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's the superior pawn show anyways.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of that show because most of it is just making fun of poor people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's almost entirely scripted so yeah, they clearly hate poor people. I just enjoyed it more because they barely tried to hide the scripting and fake drama. In many wide shots of the store you could see the gaffer tape marks.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Death To wasn’t as good as Wipe, but still enjoyable enough. Having celebrities took away from it except for SLJ during the BLM section. Lack of Shitpeas loses it a point.

Hugh Grant was great tho

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it felt like he put the effort in to not just be Hugh Grant with a different name at least. I know people who haven’t seen Wipe really liked it so it’s probably the right approach, even if it’s a little jarring for longtime viewers.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Remember when hugh grant got canceled for getting a completely consensual BJ from a perfectly fine sex worker

Oh how times have changed

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've seen wipes before and I thought this was just as good, though some celebrities were better than others, Lisa Kudrow being the one that worked the least. Kumail Nanjiani as Bark Multiverse was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BDG has announced he's leaving Polygon to work on his own weirder stuff which is good because his weird stuff is a lot of fun.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

BDG has announced he's leaving Polygon to work on his own weirder stuff which is good because his weird stuff is a lot of fun.
That's interesting because he gets paid a shitload to work there, but who knows he might make heaps on his own

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

I've seen wipes before and I thought this was just as good, though some celebrities were better than others, Lisa Kudrow being the one that worked the least. Kumail Nanjiani as Bark Multiverse was great.

I haven't watched it but if you are disparaging the name of Lisa Kudrow then sir we are about to throw hands.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bowmore posted:

That's interesting because he gets paid a shitload to work there, but who knows he might make heaps on his own

He also has started a Patreon.

Watching Death to 2020 now and I'm enjoying it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bowmore posted:

He really wasn't getting paid that much by polygon. His patreon will likely surpass it basically immediately

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Simone Magus posted:

He really wasn't getting paid that much by polygon. His patreon will likely surpass it basically immediately

Yeah, how much could Polygon really be paying him?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, how much could Polygon really be paying him?

https://www.twitter.com/briamgilbert/status/1270730491549843457

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Holy crap lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't really have a feel for the industry but $85k for a 26 yo host/video producer at Polygon seems like... a lot?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good for him to make a living at it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't really have a feel for the industry but $85k for a 26 yo host/video producer at Polygon seems like... a lot?

Yeah, it’s a lot, I really hope that other goon just didn’t know the number instead of thinking that’s a low income for anyone in this economy.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Host at Polygon in NYC tbf

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It sounds like a lot but then I think he figured out Mr Beast makes 80,000 per week as a Youtuber and could get a small slice of that with patreon support

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He lives in Brooklyn as part of his Polygon job which has a pretty high cost of living and a bunch of his more recent videos have had jokes and asides about his worries about not being able to save up for a potential retirement or pay for health insurance on his salary, I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of the motivation to split was to get to get to move somewhere else. Really its always been kind of baffling how much of games journalism and the resultant new media personalities in podcasting and YouTube that grew out of it live in expensive places like that, when your job is to play videogames and talk into a camera/microphone you can do that literally anywhere.

Spending a few years growing an audience at Polygon and then making a clean break once they've gotten enough eyes on you* seems to be a strategy that works out really well for everyone involved and I'm pretty excited to see who the next person to break through there is. I avoided Brian David Gilbert's videos for a long time because his thumbnails are repellant but his actual videos were really fun and creative and they seem to do a pretty good job of cycling people out if they fail to take hold; it's fun going through their channel during the Griffin McElroy era and seeing how many boring and unfunny people got paired up with them for a video or two and then vanished off the face of the earth as the site shifted to more video content.

*or get kicked off, since even though Nick Robinson was unpersoned for asking women to send him nudes his videos still make ridiculous numbers like the one on the McDonalds Nintendo DS training game breaking 3.6 million views in less than a month and he has 2/3rds the number of subscribers as Polygon's actual channel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is BDG the dude that did the Link history video? Then he's the only vid game video guy I've laughed at and can stand, oh my god is it a field of things I don't care for

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
He's the one that did the Super Smash Bros osha fines, sexiest castlevania monster, and tastiest BOTW meal videos, amongst others

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Really its always been kind of baffling how much of games journalism and the resultant new media personalities in podcasting and YouTube that grew out of it live in expensive places like that, when your job is to play videogames and talk into a camera/microphone you can do that literally anywhere.

Media companies of all stripes seem to live under the delusion that their workers must live in major market cities like NYC, LA, or San Francisco. It's creating a huge barrier to entry for people from less advantageous backgrounds getting into the industry, and comes up every time one of these shops tries to unionize.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

He's the one that did the Super Smash Bros osha fines, sexiest castlevania monster, and tastiest BOTW meal videos, amongst others

Was talking about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-25c8Rsobw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The El Ray channel is shutting down on Dec 31. Lucha Underground was their only notable program, I think.