Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

MOOCH! *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Finance would be much more valuable than economics

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

i had tacos for lunch, so i'm in a good mood

had grilled pineapple for breakfast. nothing else, just pineapple.

still having some middling feels

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

so uh is mooch a member of the Saints Row

treason time fun time!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

deadgoon posted:

if u think about it every object in the universe is a computer program operating according to the rules of physics

including ur brain, which makes u an ai

Slow your fentanyl intake, Hiro Protagonist

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Xelkelvos posted:

:ssh: The University of Florida doesn't offer an IO Psych degree as a Bachelors :ssh:

oh, you still have time!

but yeah, all the neat poo poo is behind the locked door of tens of thousands of dollars more in debt and years of coursework so lol, gently caress that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

brugroffil posted:

I took a few economics electives as a STEMlord

lol'd heartily at the business majors in a 300-level course struggling to understand basic derivatives

don't remember much from micro or macro beyond the most simplistic reductionist views of the world.

e: can also confirm that telling engineers what to do rather than having to do it yourself is much better

I'm glad I got into restaurant management out of high school. I had no idea at the time that I enjoyed managing a team and running a department so much more than I would end up enjoy coding or just sitting in a chair for 8 hours and I'd probably be miserable if I went straight into grognard stuff

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

good to hear there are at least some people doing their jobs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So was Trump able to name 5 breakfast cereals?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jazerus posted:

biology is a lot more solid than modern econ dude

modern econ is like alchemy. it's a proto-science that can get a few things right some of the time, but is stuck in a false paradigm that invalidates a lot of its work, even the work that is technically sound, because so many false assumptions are built into the basic theories

marx is closer to being a chemist than an alchemist tho

for real

psychology is a more solid "soft science" than econ and they're just now figuring out what questions to even ask

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LinYutang posted:

this, but with computers replacing lawyers

That's probably never going to happen. At least completely.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Epic High Five posted:

I'm glad I got into restaurant management out of high school. I had no idea at the time that I enjoyed managing a team and running a department so much more than I would end up enjoy coding or just sitting in a chair for 8 hours and I'd probably be miserable if I went straight into grognard stuff

i think u'll find that many of us stand at a desk now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Naerasa posted:

I like to believe he did all that except the last part, and instead left his caddy alive and said "Now tell them how wonderful I was today" and let him take care of the rest.

i do like the idea of the course employees putting on an incredibly elaborate ruse to trick jong-il into thinking his golf score was incredible

"incredible sir, another hole-in-one"

"my ball appears to be lodged up a dog's rear end in a top hat"

"you found the secret hole, first try, amazing sir"

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

uh oh pancho! posted:

only study econ at umass amherst
fukk econ
study marxist leninist science at university of sai gon

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Office Pig posted:

had grilled pineapple for breakfast. nothing else, just pineapple.

still having some middling feels

[extremely nixon voice]

shoulda topped that with some cottage cheese

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
:thunk:

apparently there are good people at the white house

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

uh oh pancho! posted:

only study econ at umass amherst

yeah those guys are cool

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ex post facho posted:

*thinks about enrolling in law school*

*looks at $30,000/semester tuition*

*reads law thread*

nah, nahhhhh

Culinary school at the local CIA is 90k.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Shab posted:

it's called skinny repeal because you won't be able to afford food after your monthly healthcare premiums :ssh:

Finally, those Ron Paulites Ended the Well Fed.

I always knew end the fed was some weird rant against feeding the poor hungry masses.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

DA MOOCH

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

liberalism.txt

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WTAE/status/890616305111375872

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xelkelvos posted:

:ssh: The University of Florida doesn't offer an IO Psych degree as a Bachelors :ssh:

They manage to con at least one NFL team out of a first round pick each and every year so I'd say they don't need a diploma to show they know psychology.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

:sun:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Those shirts were all white when they left the house

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

never read the goon law school thread

that is a depressing place

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The fundamentals of econ are about as horseshit as the fundamentals of physics. i.e. They're both technically true and the math works out, but lol if those situations could ever exist or match the results IRL. Econ is a social science with regards to actually statistically analyzing markets and stuff and is about as valid as Biology in that regard.

Piketty's book Capitol really gets into this, and he lambasts the current econ field esp in the States for its theoritical stances instead of working with other social sciense.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

never read the goon thread

that is a depressing place

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This is the most idiotic way to write and pass a bill.

I am 100% not joking when I say it would have been less retarded if they would have just passed something that said "OBAMACARE IS ABOLISHED" and left the actual ACA in place without doing anything. At least that way they wouldn't be kneecapping the health insurance industry while making a symbolic FUKK U to Obama and Dems.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember the ge boy who beeps commercial

wtf

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

I still like doing design stuff and I still really like field work from time to time (I'm in engineering, not coding), but it sure is nice to just dump all of the tedious poo poo I hate like documentation and procedure writing onto other people so I can shitpost more.

In high school I wanted to go into computer science so I could make video games! Thank god I decided to go engineering instead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

oh, you still have time!

but yeah, all the neat poo poo is behind the locked door of tens of thousands of dollars more in debt and years of coursework so lol, gently caress that.

Fwiw, I know that if I do try for a Master's program I'd need to do my damnedest to get someone else to pay for at least some of it.

LinYutang posted:

i think u'll find that many of us stand at a desk now

gently caress that.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

LinYutang posted:

Coding should just be a part of any curriculum. It's a basic research and modern literacy skill and we shouldn't be forcing kids to learn the Dewey Decimal System instead of basic programming syntax

lmao no it shouldn't for the same reason most people are poo poo artists. computer literacy absolutely but coding is not necessary in any capacity

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is the most idiotic way to write and pass a bill.

I am 100% not joking when I say it would have been less retarded if they would have just passed something that said "OBAMACARE IS ABOLISHED" and left the actual ACA in place without doing anything. At least that way they wouldn't be kneecapping the health insurance industry while making a symbolic FUKK U to Obama and Dems.

they desperately want to repeal and replace obamacare with an identical plan and call it trumpcare

renaming it would skip some difficult steps i wonder why they're not just considering that

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

They say that the Mooch he can save us, he's not gonna stand here and wait.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol at people who don't use community colleges for arcgis certification

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I :heart: the new press guy lol

ehhhhh ANthony you goombah you dropped the gabbaGOOL

*gesticulating so wildly that my wrists are breaking apart and showering bone fragments and blood everywhere*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol GE lost a lot of money doing that Silicon Valley innovation product thing, like the millennial-styled window-unit air conditioner.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

triple sulk posted:

lmao no it shouldn't for the same reason most people are poo poo artists. computer literacy absolutely but coding is not necessary in any capacity

sounds like u aren't really thinking DISRUPTIVELY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we should be dissuading people from becoming programmers and throwing away their lives

• Locked thread