Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SurfaceDetail posted:

imagine if Derek go as much of a stiffy about curing cancer

One mission at a time commando

Alternative answer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/bristolboy88

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr.Tophat posted:

Alternative answer:

Honestly, if I had a choice between curing cancer and turning people into dinosaurs, just call me John Hammond.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

utterly gay.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He's the first character you interact with in Squadron 42.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

Many of you old timers may remember Old Man Murray's Start to Crate review system, which basically judged a game on how quickly you saw a crate. Back in 2000 crates were everywhere and the assumption was that seeing a crate basically represented the moment at which the designer had run out of ideas. The lower the STC the more derivative and lovely the game was.

How appropriate that Squadron 42 has a STC of 0.

Chris Roberts hears of such thing, rips a line, and breaks into rap:

So the STC won't leave me be,
Let dreams be dreams so let me see,
Try to shut me down on RTV,
But it'd feel so backerless, without me

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

You don't like his Star Citizen t-shirts hanging up at the back?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

Dead cat bounce

:vince:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

no_recall posted:

The decline in shitposting is rather concerning.

I have to sleep sometimes. Justice may never sleep, and backer promises suffer from narcelepsy, but just posting sleeps like a cat and just posts like

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

Paypal just removed crowd funding from the protected item list. This means you can not dispute or charge back any more.

Paypal are cunts, and Paypal was only designed to help people deal with cunts on the internet without handing bank details to that oval office merchant. I am not surprised they want act less like a bank than they did before.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Honestly, if I had a choice between curing cancer and turning people into dinosaurs, just call me John Hammond.

I cant get anywhere close to that level of awesome so i'll just quote you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Tophat posted:

Paypal are cunts, and Paypal was only designed to help people deal with cunts on the internet without handing bank details to that oval office merchant. I am not surprised they want act less like a bank than they did before.

They want to act as little like a bank as possible. Banks have actual laws they have to follow, because otherwise the govt shits on their head real fast.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyJOp-tK0k

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mr.Tophat posted:

i think it's fair enough. i don't think any person or business should have to devote time and effort into returning money to a stupid autistic man who paid several thousand dollars for spaceships in a video game that did not yet exist. it's listed next to gambling and i agree.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Truga posted:

They want to act as little like a bank as possible. Banks have actual laws they have to follow, because otherwise the govt shits on their head real fast.

Remember when Lowtax had his paypal account shut down because it was receiving too many donations after a natural disaster? Yeah.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Tophat posted:

Remember when Lowtax had his paypal account shut down because it was receiving too many donations after a natural disaster? Yeah.

I remember 2 months ago I tried preordering a vive, and my only option for doing was putting cash on paypal, yeah :v:

Speaking of which, my vive should be here by next weekend hyyyyype

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i think it's fair enough. i don't think any person or business should have to devote time and effort into returning money to a stupid autistic man who paid several thousand dollars for spaceships in a video game that did not yet exist. it's listed next to gambling and i agree.

Right, a company that pretends to be a bank shouldn't be expected to protect transactions. What's next? Oh, sorry, we couldn't devote time and effort into protecting my bank details? I can understand where you're coming from, but it's an all too easy thing to say, "gently caress it, it's only paypal' but for most people online, paypal is easiest way of throwing money at nerd poo poo. Paypal set themselves up to be the number 1 choice in online transactions, and now, they shirk responsibility from providing protection to those nerds buying nerd poo poo? gently caress them. They know they have a monopoly and they know that people will let them get away with whatever they like, because, what other choice do people have?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Although yes, kickstarter is aspirational gambling at best, mid-life crisis 'investment' at worst (on both parties part)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
giving money to 'some guy' for 'some dream' is loving stupid and bank or no bank nobody should have to return money to that retard. it's the life lesson of getting grifted for the shut-in. it's a good thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mr.Tophat posted:

Although yes, kickstarter is aspirational gambling at best, mid-life crisis 'investment' at worst (on both parties part)

Well that's why you should have consumer laws that say that it's not gambling and you've definitely ordered a product, that the business is obligated to produce, or give a refund. :shrug:

Like yeah it's dumb nerd poo poo, but that's basically why crowdfunding gets away with it. Most nerds are too afraid of confrontation and poo poo at social skills to pursue their rights and just give up at the first rejection.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually it's like you gave some guy money knowing that he's going to use all of it and not knowing if he's going to succeed. if you feel entitled to that money back than lol

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Marching Powder posted:

giving money to 'some guy' for 'some dream' is loving stupid and bank or no bank nobody should have to return money to that retard. it's the life lesson of getting grifted for the shut-in. it's a good thing.

I'd rather people learn with a near-miss, not a head-on collision, as it were.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Maldoror posted:

I think Sandi et al. realized just how bad and horrible the movie looked and got embarrassed. :mmmhmm:

You are so very wrong here.
All you have to do is watch her audition clips she has online (Someone else can get you the URL I don't have them) to see she is so far gone into narcissism she will never admit to herself that she is a terrible monotone boring actress. Who is also well past the prime age of Hollywood (Not my rules) for a female "lead" actress.

This is all irrelevant since the Crobberts are black balled from Hollywood due to that Costner fiasco. And Hollywood is like an elephant, it never forgets and it never forgives. (I don't know how forgiving elephants are I be honest)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

actually it's like you gave some guy money knowing that he's going to use all of it and not knowing if he's going to succeed. if you feel entitled to that money back than lol

Crowdfunding is like investment, but with less protections. It's bad. The fact that you don't get your money back, that's fine. The fact that the guy can just piss it away while giving zero transparency isn't.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Same argument could made for almost any product you buy online. "What did you expect, you bought it from the internet, you didn't check X Y and X, you didn't check if the seller was reputable, you didn't ask who Kaise Soze was either!"

Money can be used in exchange of goods and services. When those goods and services do not match what was promised, money has not been earned. The idea of a bank is to protect your money. Originally, this was against thieves directly stealing your money. If a bank doesn't try and protect customer's money from a particular kind of thief or con-man, then they are not keeping your money safe. They are trying to reduce the cost of the vault, and convince you that perhaps it's just the cost of the business of using one's money for a particular kind of good or service, that there is risk.

Crowdfunding is risky, and using a service that allows chargeback reduces that risk. If Paypal said, nope, we're not going to allow ANY transactions to ANY kickstarter, then they might have had some moral fiber. But they want their cake and eat it, they want to profit off the nerds placing their money down, yet deny them the services that a bank would provide in that transaction to protect the customer. gently caress them. Pay-PAL? Yeah, you're a real pal who wants to selectively help me when it doesn't cut into their profits or leisure time away from actually doing their loving job, thanks for letting the person who is potentially ripping me off know that you will do nothing to help your PAL, and have explained to your PAL that this is the case. Pals don't let pals charge back after all, someone who's trying to run a business could get hurt!

To put it another way, say I totally agree with you. It's a life lesson to all those nerds who threw money at JPEGs, be they for star citizen, printers or belts. But why the gently caress should those fraudulent and cruel life lessons allow the teacher to embezzle ridiculous amounts of money from their gullible students? To let them keep this money? Why should that be acceptable? Charge backs take the money out of the scammer's hands and raises the flag of, "This merchant has been acting unfairly towards customers and a bank had to get involved to make sure things went as they should." Paypal refusing charge back on kickstarters without denying service to kickstarter is providing more protection and service to the merchant than to the buyer. The person being sent money has more protection than the person handing over the money and agreed to use paypal in the first place.

Which is loving retarded. Don't defend paypal. They are cunts.

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 12, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Marching Powder posted:

You're literally making the cultist argument of, "it's an investment :qq:"

No you bought that poo poo. If the guy can't deliver on his promises he deserves the life-lesson, he shouldn't have over-promised what he couldn't deliver.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Let's all effort post on this dumb subject.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Truga posted:

Crowdfunding is like investment, but with less protections. It's bad. The fact that you don't get your money back, that's fine. The fact that the guy can just piss it away while giving zero transparency isn't.

agreed, they should be held accountable after the fact, but expecting anyone to have your back for the weirdest cross between donations and gambling is absurd and not grounded in reality

Mr.Tophat posted:

Same argument could made for almost any product you buy online. "What did you expect, you bought it from the internet, you didn't check X Y and X, you didn't check if the seller was reputable, you didn't ask who Kaise Soze was either!"

Money can be used in exchange of goods and services. When those goods and services do not match what was promised, money has not been earned. The idea of a bank is to protect your money. Originally, this was against thieves directly stealing your money. If a bank doesn't try and protect customer's money from a particular kind of thief or con-man, then they are not keeping your money safe. They are trying to reduce the cost of the vault, and convince you that perhaps it's just the cost of the business of using one's money for a particular kind of good or service, that there is risk.

Crowdfunding is risky, and using a service that allows chargeback reduces that risk. If Paypal said, nope, we're not going to allow ANY transactions to ANY kickstarter, then they might have had some moral fiber. But they want their cake and eat it, they want to profit off the nerds placing their money down, yet deny them the services that a bank would provide in that transaction to protect the customer. gently caress them. Pay-PAL? Yeah, you're a real pal who wants to selectively help me when it doesn't cut into their profits or leisure time away from actually doing their loving job, thanks for letting the person who is potentially ripping me off know that you will do nothing to help your PAL, and have explained to your PAL that this is the case. Pals don't let pals charge back after all, someone who's trying to run a business could get hurt!

To put it another way, say I totally agree with you. It's a life lesson to all those nerds who threw money at JPEGs, be they for star citizen, printers or belts. But why the gently caress should those fraudulent and cruel life lessons allow the teacher to embezzle ridiculous amounts of money from their gullible students? To let them keep this money? Why should that be acceptable? Charge backs take the money out of the scammer's hands and raises the flag of, "This merchant has been acting unfairly towards customers and a bank had to get involved to make sure things went as they should." Paypal refusing charge back on kickstarters without denying service to kickstarter is providing more protection and service to the merchant than to the buyer. The person being sent money has more protection than the person handing over the money and agreed to use paypal in the first place.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Mr.Tophat posted:

holy loving poo poo did not read

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're literally making the cultist argument of, "it's an investment :qq:"

No you bought that poo poo. If the guy can't deliver on his promises he deserves the life-lesson, he shouldn't have over-promised what he couldn't deliver.

it's not an investment. it's a bizarre cross over between donations and gambling. it falls under being loving dumb with money and not deserving it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Marching Powder posted:

it's not an investment. it's a bizarre cross over between donations and gambling. it falls under being loving dumb with money and not deserving it.

Well in Australia it's just a preorder.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Let's all effort post on this dumb subject.

Damned if you just post, damned if you effort post.

gently caress you if you think Paypal need apologies on their behalf. I mean that. gently caress you if you think that Paypal isn't doing anything scummy here. gently caress you if you criticize an effort post and then go on to criticize a just post.

But most of all, gently caress you Sandi.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can australians do a chargeback to the red cross or a casino? who drafted the 'protect impulsive manchildren' law and why?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well in Australia it's just a preorder.

Yeah the long and short of it is this poo poo needs more sensible regulation in all the first worlders (at least) that stops these things from being able to pop up, wring people dry with their snake-oil and then vanish.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star citizen managed to outlast Brazils government. What does it mean?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Marching Powder posted:

can australians do a chargeback to the red cross or a casino?

No, because those are fundamentally different services. You're not paying for the promise of a future product.

Marching Powder posted:

who drafted the 'protect impulsive manchildren' law and why?

No idea, but I guess whoever it was didn't think in really dumb terms of life-lessons and was probably more concerned about ensuring open and honest transactions? :shrug:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

can australians do a chargeback to the red cross or a casino? who drafted the 'protect impulsive manchildren' law and why?

Since you're giving money with the promise of a product down the line it's counted as a product and thereby dealt with under consumer law, which protects people from being ripped off. It's neither a charity nor gambling, it is a direct feed of money with the promise of a completed product. Kickstarter was never meant to be a russian roulette for your wallet, and the fact that it is means there's something heinously wrong with its current model that needs to be fixed.

Also the 'law' wasn't drafted up for anything, it's a natural progression of consumer protection law as it's been tested and ruled upon. You're mistaken if you think people panhandling for money on the promise of making something amazing is a revolutionary concept only first conceived in the digital age.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, because those are fundamentally different services. You're not paying for the promise of a future product.

No idea, but I guess whoever it was didn't think in really dumb terms of life-lessons and was probably more concerned about ensuring open and honest transactions? :shrug:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Jfc. I forget sometimes that other continues in the world only have laws to protect those with power than without. Consumer protection laws are protect people with no recourse on being manipulated, conned, misled or straight up lied to about products they are paying money for.

Its why people are not allowed to sell snake oil without couching what they say in a shitload of non-confirmatives about what they are selling in australia.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Marching Powder is a shill for the school of hard knocks and wedgies

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Marching Powder just posts because he was taught that every transaction should somehow gently caress you over, it's just the rules of nature

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Marching Powder believes that the living wage is bullshit, yet doesn't tip his waitress when buying a single refillable cup of coffee because he understands the plight of the coffee-shop owner trying to nickle and dime the average joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

Marching Powder just posts because he was taught that every transaction should somehow gently caress you over, it's just the rules of nature

Like this is basically libertarian insanity about letting the freemarket decide if a company should exist or not. The whole point is to gently caress that company in the rear end for being scammy shits so other people dont try it to begin with.

• Locked thread