Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mr.Tophat posted:

Believe it or not, I've never seen a full episode of Seinfeld

I know, I can't believe it either, but it's true!

I have watched some dumb videos about Seinfield though, because like I wasn't going to be uninformed about a show about nothing when I have a job to do here lol

I had to watch 9 seasons back to back while house-sitting for my cousin when I was 14. My eldest brother got punched in the back of the head on a Sydney train and didn't want to go anyway for the rest of the trip. I wish we could switch places.

e: Seinfeld Cat Snype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPK6jwoyLsA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Idea for a new thread in CIG paradise: Create two threads at the same time, almost identical to another another. 'I want to pledge instead of back' and 'I want to back instead of pledge'

See how the mirror image of a thread still turns up funhouse freak mirror reflections of cultist logic

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EightAce posted:

Lets all remember here that any movies or TV pilots etc that Sandi may appear in is JUST A HOBBY ! something she has done in the rare moments between doing the work of up to nine people at CIG. Including Head of Marketing and VP of selling stuff etc. Do not go away with the impression that she has used backer funds and game dev resources at any point here. This is just harmless off the books personal interest stuff. I think she shows an enormous amount of potential as an actress, her range is varied and you feel a real chemistry and electricity on screen when she appears. Like a young Elizabeth Taylor.

Mentioning electricity, would it be bad for me to mention it made me hope for a tragic on-set accident up until I realized her martyrdom would lead to a huge surge in consolation funding?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I watched 9 seasons back to back while house-sitting for my cousin when I was 14. My eldest brother got punched in the back of the head on a Sydney train and didn't want to go anyway for the rest of the trip. I wish we could switch places.

14 is not a good time to watch a show about nothing. You want a show about boobs, like Fraiser

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

agreed, they should be held accountable after the fact, but expecting anyone to have your back for the weirdest cross between donations and gambling is absurd and not grounded in reality

holy loving poo poo did not read

it's not an investment. it's a bizarre cross over between donations and gambling. it falls under being loving dumb with money and not deserving it.

No, it pays VAT hence it's a sale. You are dumb and your posts are bad.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Samizdata posted:

Mentioning electricity, would it be bad for me to mention it made me hope for a tragic on-set accident up until I realized her martyrdom would lead to a huge surge in consolation funding?

It would be bad and this thread has a pretty strong history of hostility towards people that hope or threaten for other people dying so thank god you didn't actually bring it up.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

is apathy acceptable

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Did you not read anything I wrote? It's a donation. That's a simple fact. It's also a type of purchase (a "deposit" made for future digital content). They are not mutually exclusive.

It's no different than if you donate to any for-profit company and they give you some product in return at different levels of donation. Same thing. Or if you attend a fundraising auction and make a donation in exchange for the items available at the fundraising auction.

Well, it's not much of a debate, because the money we give CIG is most definitely a donation.

However, it is also a type of purchase... the two are not mutually exclusive.

As I mentioned, donations come in two types: tax-deductible and non-tax-deductible. The former are when you donate to a for-profit company and the latter are when you donate to a non-profit.

There is nothing to prevent the company/organization from providing products in return for donation levels. It happens all the time with fundraisers. And in that sense the products received in return are for all intents and purposes purchases. In the case of SC, they consider our donations to be "deposits" on the future digital content attached to our donations.

Yeah, it is a muddy new language, the ownership of something inside a virtual world that others own. So yeah, CIG are the owners of everything, you we are a paying user.

But just as a team park, when you buy a ticket, you don't get a ownership of anything, and paying for fast pass or VIP don't give you anything others can't get for free but have to stand in line. The ownership is stil the owners of the park, but paying for that access does not make it a donation.

and so it goes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Honestly, if I had a choice between curing cancer and turning people into dinosaurs, just call me John Hammond.

Why not both? Good news: I cured your cancer. Bad news: you're about to become a stegosaurus.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

You are dumb and your posts are bad.

On a screen, somewhere, these words appear underneath a username

- Dumb
- Bad Posts

Lightning strikes and thunder booms,
Another note written yet unarchived by reddit
Melkor cackles and posts

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
American's can't understand the point of consumer protections and European's can't understand how anyone can find Seinfeld funny.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lime Tonics posted:

Did you not read anything I wrote? It's a donation. That's a simple fact. It's also a type of purchase (a "deposit" made for future digital content). They are not mutually exclusive.

It's no different than if you donate to any for-profit company and they give you some product in return at different levels of donation. Same thing. Or if you attend a fundraising auction and make a donation in exchange for the items available at the fundraising auction.

Well, it's not much of a debate, because the money we give CIG is most definitely a donation.

However, it is also a type of purchase... the two are not mutually exclusive.

As I mentioned, donations come in two types: tax-deductible and non-tax-deductible. The former are when you donate to a for-profit company and the latter are when you donate to a non-profit.

There is nothing to prevent the company/organization from providing products in return for donation levels. It happens all the time with fundraisers. And in that sense the products received in return are for all intents and purposes purchases. In the case of SC, they consider our donations to be "deposits" on the future digital content attached to our donations.

Yeah, it is a muddy new language, the ownership of something inside a virtual world that others own. So yeah, CIG are the owners of everything, you we are a paying user.

But just as a team park, when you buy a ticket, you don't get a ownership of anything, and paying for fast pass or VIP don't give you anything others can't get for free but have to stand in line. The ownership is stil the owners of the park, but paying for that access does not make it a donation.

and so it goes

I can tell that's a post from the official forums or the subreddit cause my nose started bleeding as I tried to comprehend it.

FrankieGoes posted:

Why not both? Good news: I cured your cancer. Bad news: you're about to become a stegosaurus.

It's the best news cause cancer never killed the dinosaurs.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"What do you mean, you want to protect customers, protect my bottom line here George, you're supposed to be my latex salesman!"

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

AP posted:

American's can't understand the point of consumer protections and European's can't understand how anyone can find Seinfeld funny.

as an american it is ones duty to get paid and then immediately open my (virtual) wallet and sacrifice its entirety at the altar of consumerism

anything less, particularly ungrateful regret, is sacrilegious. we would be noone without these multimillion dollar corporations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think people who bought, wait no pledged, wait donated...gently caress whatever ships in star citizen are not good with money. Myself included once.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Also, I want to go to a team park with my team and out team them at the team park

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I placed money down on a virtual counter, now that counter reads '4 makers of dreams'

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What are chris and sandi going to do once the 5 million they stashed away runs out?

Used car salesman is already burned, pawn shop dealer?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

fetch me my blue face paint and my purple wang paint.

Look, all the cool kids are using yellow wang paint...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gif 2.5 is on the Public Test Post, please remember your NDAs

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Using paypal in the EU rules because they have to register as a bank.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I can't find the right metaphor to explain how I'm not going hosed over by CIG here guys, it's such trouble writing these posts about particulars concerning such shaftening in a imaginative fashion, you thought I would know better by now from reading all those CIG TOSs

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

A true and honorable poster, indeed, mark me well, I first thought you were quoting words from a Crispins day, but alas, my heart was too false to think of the truth immediately before I was free to throw my just post into the heath.

Man, I did a whole Saint Derek's day post and no one says anything. HE mangles one line out of Braveheart and everyone's all "Oh ho! BrillYUNT!"

And people wonder I don't do effort posts and :justpost:.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

On a screen, somewhere, these words appear underneath a username

- Dumb
- Bad Posts

Lightning strikes and thunder booms,
Another note written yet unarchived by reddit
Melkor cackles and posts

I don't need notes to remember notoriously bad posters.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

Believe it or not, I've never seen a full episode of Seinfeld

I know, I can't believe it either, but it's true!

I have watched some dumb videos about Seinfield though, because like I wasn't going to be uninformed about a show about nothing when I have a job to do here lol

I have never punched myself in the junk wearing spiked brass knuckles OR given money to CIG.

Your point?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Man, I did a whole Saint Derek's day post and no one says anything. HE mangles one line out of Braveheart and everyone's all "Oh ho! BrillYUNT!"

I feel for you, I truly do

I seem to remember such a post, t'was a good post

And my mood changes, sometimes I empty quote every cool thing, sometimes I just post, but do you know what I never do? I never skip a page. And neither does Derek. So for every post you make, it shall be read by Derek

And I think that's alright

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Samizdata posted:

I have never punched myself in the junk wearing spiked brass knuckles OR given money to CIG.

Your point?

My point is I got informed about a show about nothing because someone compared my posting to Seinfield and so to become better at posting about nothing I got informed about a show about nothing and I think that's kinda, I dunno, kinda funny and ironic enough to just post about in a unleavened bread kinda way

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Are you saying you don't appreciate the quality of my posts, commando?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

I don't need notes to remember notoriously bad posters.

Was that a subtle jab at me because if so drat, that was good, if not, drat, this weed doing something right/wrong

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I really don't see the great injustice paypal is doing by refusing chargebacks for gambling and kickstarters, when the latter are essentially gambling by their nature? The fault is in the legal system not regulating kickstarter campaigns or providing consumer protection, which in most cases, seems to be a US-specific problem.

In Europe, Croberts lovely sales are clearly classed as purchases (see VAT), not donations. Therefore you are buying something. If you don't receive it, you are entitled to a refund out of the contract you entered. Chargebacks are not needed, so they are a non issue.

Needless to say you should NEVER pledge more than you can comfortably forget about in kickstarters anyway.

What the gently caress are you people even discussing about?
Kickstarter doesn't allow paypal payments. It uses a CC gateway.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
you see, the real world should be exactly like jita. when I go to the mall I should assume every store is in fact either a facade for:

• mobsters that will kick the poo poo out of me, steal my identity and sell my organs, not necessarily in that order
  • goods that don't exist and wouldn't be worth their sale price if they did
  • both at the same time

because I believe in freedom and I'm too smart to fall for it!!!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

It's about ethics and standards in just posting

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Good Dumplings posted:

you see, the real world should be exactly like jita. when I go to the mall I should assume every store is in fact either a facade for:

• mobsters that will kick the poo poo out of me, steal my identity and sell my organs, not necessarily in that order
  • goods that don't exist and wouldn't be worth their sale price if they did
  • both at the same time

because I believe in freedom and I'm too smart to fall for it!!!

Would be an awful shame if some of these stretch goals were missed, might want to get some customer protection against such eventualities, if you understand my meaning

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

I feel for you, I truly do

I seem to remember such a post, t'was a good post

And my mood changes, sometimes I empty quote every cool thing, sometimes I just post, but do you know what I never do? I never skip a page. And neither does Derek. So for every post you make, it shall be read by Derek

And I think that's alright

It's sad. The pain is starting to wear down Mr. Tophat. He just thinks its just alright, and he's not glad of it. :sigh:

Also, why would anyone be a dirty skipper? You're not doing your duty unless you read ALL the posts. 42 Read posts erry day!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr. Tophat gunning for the top post count in the thread.

Gonna have to get all seven other Beets to chip in and :justpost: if I want to keep up.

Luckily the mannequin faces they were working on have to get refactored anyway, so they have free time

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I was getting a little tired of saying I'm glad of it all the time, so I decided to switch it up to 'that's alright' because variety is the spice of life and I'm glad of it

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Mr. Tophat gunning for the top post count in the thread.

I like to imagine I am adding weight to the cloud, and soon, the just post rain will come.

Bonus alternative just post:

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

Was that a subtle jab at me because if so drat, that was good, if not, drat, this weed doing something right/wrong
Chill, what you need more than anything now is a plate of these

sprinkle cinnamon liberally.

the munchies are tripling every second :getin:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I mean drat, if you really wanted to get probated by Derek, don't post in that other thread, he reads that thread out of duty to his position and OP, just post enough in here to make ruin the time travel that Derek performs when he reads this thread

You cannot escape me Derek, no matter where you go, five pages in the future or past, my just posts will be lurking, waiting, engladdening themselves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: poo poo Actually

• Locked thread