Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

This is a test render I did - top has no denoise, bottom has default denoise settings. (250 samples)

Are those your render sizes? If not, please post high res or it doesn't matter, since you get super sampling when you scale down.

I too found that Denoise mainly just made things blurry, which was fine, depending what it was. Definitely not something I'd want to leave on by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Those were the original render sizes I used to do this quickly - I think like 700x500 or something just to load to Imgur. Neither were resized. So except for some JPEG compression it’s pretty WYSIWYG.

Also I think that 250 samples was a bit on the low end, I’m not doing like 5,000 to 50,000 “insanity level” sampling.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Not trying to pile onto you, I'd try 1920x1080 to really figure out if it scales nicely.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
The Blender Denoiser is ideal for situations where you’re 75-85% of the way there, noise-level wise, and you just need that extra little bit to clean it up.

If you use it as a bludgeon to clean up really noisy scenes, it will cause a blurring effect in high-noise areas, but sometimes that’s fine if you just want to see the scene mostly cleaned up.

It works on a similar principle to the renderman denoiser, in that it generates extra data passes and uses those along with the normal passes to determine what’s noise and what’s not. It’s a postprocessing effect, so it’s never going to be perfect, but I’ve been able to use it successfully on a handful of productions so far.

Lukas never got his cross-frame denoiser integrated though, so for motion it’s not that great. I’ll reach out to him and see if that’s ever coming, and if not we might be able to get someone else working on it.

E: just to make sure there’s not an older denoiser feature I’m not aware of - this is the denoiser that you turn on in the layer management panel, below where you can choose what render passes (color, vector, AO, etc), correct? We had it on our internal builds back in late 2016, but I’m not sure when it made it to official blender builds.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 7, 2018

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Vray has a similar one - works well for testing low quality sequnces with complex light. the denoiser does make things blurry, but at least the light is calculated with brute force and is accurate - the alternative is blurry light that doesnt properly reflect what the final will look like.
I have found even turning it on for an image which is as noise free as I can get, doesnt actually help push it over the edge to 'perfect' and if used sparingly cant quite catch all of the noise in some areas fully, leaving it slightly blotchy. I'll take a uniform fine grain over blotches.

Much like GPU rendering, it's a very useful feature for iterations and testing, but I still dont find either all that useful when getting a final high quality output done.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 7, 2018

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

:(

GPU rendering may be niche, but when you have a scene that can use it, you can get some crazy performance increases. I have a Pro Duo for medium sized scenes, and at one point ran a 32GB w9100 which covered a fair chunk of the scenes I ran across.

And while experimental, Blender offers out of core. I’ve found it to be in between CPU and GPU for render speed, without the GPU memory limitations.

Tbh though, I’m starting to think real-time/near real-time will be the direction GPU goes. We’ve been messing with eevee and UE4 for animation, and it can look pretty spiffy if you’re careful. Won’t replace path tracing, but seems to work really well for animation gigs where hyperrealism isn’t a focus.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Anyone have any experience converting Protein DataBank (PDB) files into a surface mesh for Max? Need to get this protein model ready for 3D printing but hell finding out how to open it was problem enough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Incoming rambling post that's half seeking advice/half wondering out loud. Also none of it is really anything that would happen immediately.

Currently I work at an ad agency. A 35 man operation and I'm a VP and Creative Director over our production side (we house a full high end video production facility - it's what we originally were before spinning off into an ad agency).

I got my start in CG and then moved into more motion graphics (that still involved CG from time to time). Now I'm kind of half in the Compositing world and half in the Motion Graphics world. We've also done some VFX work for a few feature films here and there.

Anyway, this past week I was on vacation in North Carolina, where most of my family has relocated to (and a few friends) and just started to wonder "drat this is nice. Why do I live so far away?"

So, I started the job search perusal - haven't dug too deep yet. Not a lot of VFX jobs in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area - but I did see that UbiSoft, Epic and a few others have studios around that area. That got me thinking about the game industry as a whole. I've always been a gamer (but haven't had a lot of time to do it since I had a kid a few years ago) and have always harbored a little fantasy about working on games.

The issue, however, is that now that I've moved up to a more creative director and managerial role - I've been out of practice for a few years. And I was never really neck deep in full on CG-only world to begin with. I still do work, but again - mainly just compositing or VFX stuff. And since most of my time is in middle/upper management world - none of it has been expertly honed. I feel confident in my work, but I'm just not able to deep dive and spend the time I'd like to on it. So I'm wondering what it would be like to even transfer into a game role with a VFX/Compositing reel.

Is that something people even do? Or would most companies just go "no game material on the reel, no thanks!"

Like I said this is very loose at the moment... just kind of living out the fantasies of transitioning into something more exciting for me and my family. I've been at this agency for 10 years and it's been very good to me, but 10 years in the ad world has aged me twice that at least. And it's not the time. I love diving into projects and spending time on them. It's mainly just clients and the disposability of advertising in general. It's soul crushing!

edit: Also I turn 40 next year. Not sure if that helps ("he's settled with a family! He's more dependable and less likely to make rash decisions!") or hurts ("can't teach an old dog new tricks.").

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2018

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

The Gasmask posted:

GPU rendering may be niche, but when you have a scene that can use it, you can get some crazy performance increases. I have a Pro Duo for medium sized scenes, and at one point ran a 32GB w9100 which covered a fair chunk of the scenes I ran across.

I wasnt talking on behalf of everyone - not one of my production scenes in their final stage will render on a GPU I have available. I'd like that to change but I work with what I have!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Odddzy posted:

Not trying to pile onto you, I'd try 1920x1080 to really figure out if it scales nicely.

Gonna give it a go at that resolution, I'll just attach it at TIMG so I don't break people's tables.

500 samples, no denoise

500 samples, 8 radius 0.5 strength, 0.5 feature strength denoise during rendering

:shrug: :grovertoot:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 8, 2018

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Not trying to pile on you either but: JPEG compression is wrecking the non-Denoised version and makes even your Denoised version look like crap in spots.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am set to 90 when I save - is it the level 90, or Imgur smushing things down? (Or maybe both?) It seems to be bad at the really subtle color changes on very flat textures.

But yeah I still think the denoise isn't a "get out of jail free" card for quality rendering, but it can help quite a lot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm always an advocate for chasing your passion (because doing work you don't love is not a fun way to live life), but be careful. You want to work on games, but since you don't have any experience in it you could end up jumping into a new career only to realize it's not what you were expecting. Also, don't forget that the gaming industry is horrifically rife with underpayment and overwork; it may be reasonable if you end up being able to snag a senior position like creative director, but I'd be careful about betting your livelihood on that.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Putty posted:

Anyone have any experience converting Protein DataBank (PDB) files into a surface mesh for Max? Need to get this protein model ready for 3D printing but hell finding out how to open it was problem enough.

Have you looked through their program links to see if anything there would convert to a more standard 3D format?

Pymol appears to support saving geometry in Collada format.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 8, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's a Games Jobs thread in Games where you should cross post that same post to get some gamedev responses too.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Putty posted:

The way I did it back in the day was with VMD. It can output a number of 3d formats you can open with Max. For more complex molecules, you can use VMD to simulate a CryoEM surface at a specified resolution and export that. That works very well for capturing the overall shape of large molecules. I used that a lot with ribosomes.
When I get a 3D printer later this year this is definitely on the to do list 😀

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Medical CGI is always jaw-dropping and probably one of the best applications of CGI.

https://youtu.be/wJyUtbn0O5Y

Yes, that little “walking” thing is real.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Taffer posted:

I'm always an advocate for chasing your passion (because doing work you don't love is not a fun way to live life), but be careful. You want to work on games, but since you don't have any experience in it you could end up jumping into a new career only to realize it's not what you were expecting. Also, don't forget that the gaming industry is horrifically rife with underpayment and overwork; it may be reasonable if you end up being able to snag a senior position like creative director, but I'd be careful about betting your livelihood on that.

Yeah it's definitely not something I'd act rashly on. Hell I've been here for 10 years... I'm clearly not one to take risks ha!

mutata posted:

There's a Games Jobs thread in Games where you should cross post that same post to get some gamedev responses too.

Ah good idea. I always forget about the games jobs thread... thanks!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

HardCoil posted:

The way I did it back in the day was with VMD. It can output a number of 3d formats you can open with Max. For more complex molecules, you can use VMD to simulate a CryoEM surface at a specified resolution and export that. That works very well for capturing the overall shape of large molecules. I used that a lot with ribosomes.
When I get a 3D printer later this year this is definitely on the to do list 😀

This was a lifesaver. The 3D print is probably gonna look like crap though cause our printers aren't that detailed. The reference I gotta compete with was made using one of those sand printers that don't have to deal with 1000 supports.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Awesome, I'm happy my extremely niche knowledge finally was useful to somebody else😀 What are you printing? Please post a picture of the print once you are done.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It's confidential stuff for a pharma client so I sadly can't show anything. I can't say I've become fond of this molecule thing either since said client has been giving us harsh deadlines.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i was looking at pipe guns like i often do and so i felt inspired to make one that's a bit more unique looking but still feasible irl

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice gross welds.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If anyone here recently signed up for Poliigon textures, could you send me a PM? I have a question about the service.

(No this isn’t something like me begging to use your account/textures - just a question about signing up.)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nice gross welds.

haha thx, first time ive made them in 3d

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nice gross welds.

Not bad!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I have to say, Poliigon looks pretty scummy with only 1-3 month rollover of credits. God forbid you be allowed to save up downloads in periods you don't use the service much, or they have a dry spell with little of interest uploaded.

I say this, having had up to 7 months of Megascans credits saved up at one point, and with 150+ Substance Source downloads saved up.
( Why does the yearly subscriptions also only have 1-3 months rollover. Does that mean you have to buy a yearly subscription and then use all the credits in a month? )

SubNat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 13, 2018

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Another credit for Blender as a VFX package, all wrapped and done: Silicon Valley, season 5!

Finale just aired, and the last shot was my teams. Super proud of them, we busted some rear end to make it happen in time.

And the episode has gotten decent reviews too! I’ve had my fair share of negative reviews (like that one saying MHC season 2 was the worst season of a show ever, lol), so it’s nice to have some positive ones :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kanine posted:

haha thx, first time ive made them in 3d

How'd you do them anyway, sculpting?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Synthbuttrange posted:

How'd you do them anyway, sculpting?

yeah i tossed it in mudbox with a rly high subd level

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SubNat posted:

I have to say, Poliigon looks pretty scummy with only 1-3 month rollover of credits. God forbid you be allowed to save up downloads in periods you don't use the service much, or they have a dry spell with little of interest uploaded.

Comig from using CGtextures back in the day from a solid 3-4 years before anything else was available it feels pretty generous. They took a middle ground option. They're pretty generous with the points too.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
CGTextures rulez!!

I still use it for quick free stuff

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Can’t you just buy “packs” of credits as you need them with Poliigon instead of signing up for a monthly plan? :confused:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Gasmask posted:

And the episode has gotten decent reviews too! I’ve had my fair share of negative reviews (like that one saying MHC season 2 was the worst season of a show ever, lol), so it’s nice to have some positive ones :)

One of my proudest achievements is having worked on not one, but 2 movies with a score of 8% on RT.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

One of my proudest achievements is having worked on not one, but 2 movies with a score of 8% on RT.

Haha congrats! Once is a fluke, but twice makes you wonder if you’re blessed ;).

My boss worked on RIPD, which to most would be a private shame gig. but I honestly enjoyed the movie, so when I found that out it was cool to pick his brain about it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've only worked on kids shows which kids and parents seem to like but 30-45 year old manchildren post long youtube videos decrying how CG is ruining the sanctity of the IP.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I worked on one with 4% :cry:

Next best is 11%

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ccs posted:

I've only worked on kids shows which kids and parents seem to like but 30-45 year old manchildren post long youtube videos decrying how CG is ruining the sanctity of the IP.

"Reboot" artist spotted!

Edit: Upon 2 seconds further reflection I've concluded that I couldn't have possibly missed the mark more.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I worked on Race as a sub-sub-sub contractor for a shot, it's got 56 on RT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mutata posted:

"Reboot" artist spotted!

Edit: Upon 2 seconds further reflection I've concluded that I couldn't have possibly missed the mark more.

Haha yeah Reboot was originally CG! I work with guys who worked on the original and some of my former co-workers worked on the new terrible one though.