Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

davebo posted:

I'm noticing a correlation between posters who typically enjoy stanced cars and people who like stripes on SUV's. Maybe the next step for that X5 is some wacky camber.

edit: vv wow I had to look that up. 19mpg highway, ouch.

Yeah man because some stickers that are a subjective cosmetic mod is totally the same thing as ruining the handling/safety of the suspension for stance cred. :rolleyes:

AI is turning into a circlejerk of loving idiots that think any mod not 100% related to going fast on a track is something to look down on and mock people for. I prefer function over form myself, but here's the loving thing: they're just some harmless vinyls. They literally affect nothing other than looks which are, again, subjective. Anyone that would attack someone else for choosing to install them on their own, personal car is probably just pissed off that they can't afford a $100k SUV that goes faster than their beat to poo poo old Camaro.

Like I could understand if it was some NFSU 2F2F bullshit wrap with a giant shopping car wing on top and 10 degrees of negative camber with stretched tires but this is getting asinine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 25, 2004

Tremek posted:

The car is hardly a piece of poo poo and runs fast even on a track or at the drag strip. I was simply giving our friend here some good-natured poo poo about tarting up his $100k SUV with $800 in dealer-applied Pep Boys vinyl before the shitstorm above started.

Thank you, 655321, for being the guy to buy/lease and take the depreciation hit on the car that could be a good replacement for our E70 X5M in a few years.

Hi I'm just backtracking my dickhead comment and also here's another one.

Wait, here's 3. It's like, layers.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
I have some painters tape right here.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

655321 posted:

Hi I'm just backtracking my dickhead comment and also here's another one.

Wait, here's 3. It's like, layers.

That wasn't backtracking! But as you're pretty mad about it now, let's make sure to call out that vinyl (whether the Grand Sport crap people retrofit to their C5s, Challengers, or stuff like this) will always be in poor taste, so feel free to feel self-conscious every time you see it on your car. :)

AMERICANS FOR A VINYL-FREE AMERICA

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Where's thread about vinyls on cars so I can talk about my desire to wrap my car in a gaudy matte finish (not sarcasm)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Randuin posted:

Where's thread about vinyls on cars so I can talk about my desire to wrap my car in a gaudy matte finish (not sarcasm)

I feel like it should be part of the DIY paintjob thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What thread is this?

Post your own ride - YOUR MOVE, STRIPELORD

Here's my white E39, I think it needs stripes.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Was it milkm who had the black e36 with m tricolour stripes on the wing? Always thought that looked very smart.

Mar 25, 2004

If I posted it in the awesome car thread telling everyone how awesome I am, or started a thread for it proclaiming that I'm the coolest guy in AI and my stripes give me bro-power, I would expect to be cut down. I am legitimately excited about my car, decided to post about it, and in the end regret it. I don't like a lot of cars or aesthetic choices I see in this thread, but it's the "post your own ride" thread, and it seems really petty to insult people who clearly like their cars and like they way they look. I'm not mad, just disappointed, and not about the reaction to my car. Evidently people should be ashamed of what they like and should certainly be ashamed of buying cars new.

I prefer to buy cars new. I don't care about depreciation on new cars. I like breaking them in, and not worrying about how someone else cared for and drove the car. It's worth it to me. If that make me dumb or a rube in your eyes, I don't care. I don't care that other people don't. Do what makes you happy and drive what you like.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All we did was elbow you in the arm a little, that's all.

We're all friends here. :glomp:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't know where you're getting any of that. This is certainly the appropriate thread for posting your ride, and people can post their reactions to rides just the same as people posting the rides themselves. This idea that we should all drive whatever we like and everyone else should live and let live is completely fallacious, because you know full well if someone came in that had just unsafely lifted their bro-truck and posted a photo of them rolling coal on some pedestrians we'd all poo poo down their neck and rightfully so. Somewhere in between coal-rolling and buying a used Murcielago you'll find polarizing stuff like stanced cars and 100k SUV's. Why is everyone down on circle-jerks? Circle-jerks are great for everyone getting jerked off. I imagine a lot of us post in AI because every other car forums on the internet is a circle-jerk of poo poo we hate, and it's our turn get jerked off by the dude next to us. Even if a second ago we were giving him poo poo. Like eyebeem. Let's make 655321's X5 a $101,200 by cramming your stroller in the back. And Cage where did your louvres go in that last Mustang pic, did 1971 call and take them back? Nah I'm just kidding they were nifty.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

vroom vroom. car go fast.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Tremek posted:

The car is hardly a piece of poo poo and runs fast even on a track or at the drag strip. I was simply giving our friend here some good-natured poo poo about tarting up his $100k SUV with $800 in dealer-applied Pep Boys vinyl before the shitstorm above started.

Thank you, 655321, for being the guy to buy/lease and take the depreciation hit on the car that could be a good replacement for our E70 X5M in a few years.

The piece of poo poo comment was to the guy implying that these are more reliable than an E36 or other BMW (they aren't)

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Octopus Magic posted:

Tell us more about what's going on here? This looks like fun.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Is that a Cusco roll bar?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

And Cage where did your louvres go in that last Mustang pic, did 1971 call and take them back? Nah I'm just kidding they were nifty.
They're just abs plastic and got kind of warped in the middle so I took them off and stuffed some pieces of wood and towels in there to try to straighten it out. Ive only found one set of aluminum louvers and hate the way they're shaped because they're more curved, I like them straight as an arrow.

I also took off my rear tail light tint. :thumbsup:

Also the 1970s were awesome because louvers came on corollas and celicas and a lot more cars. Did you know that they even make louvers for the latest gen cavalier? They look beyond terrible:

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 27, 2015

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

To be fair, literally anything to do with a Cavalier is beyond terrible.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
^ :golfclap:

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah man because some stickers that are a subjective cosmetic mod is totally the same thing as ruining the handling/safety of the suspension for stance cred. :rolleyes:

AI is turning into a circlejerk of loving idiots that think any mod not 100% related to going fast on a track is something to look down on and mock people for. I prefer function over form myself, but here's the loving thing: they're just some harmless vinyls. They literally affect nothing other than looks which are, again, subjective. Anyone that would attack someone else for choosing to install them on their own, personal car is probably just pissed off that they can't afford a $100k SUV that goes faster than their beat to poo poo old Camaro.

Like I could understand if it was some NFSU 2F2F bullshit wrap with a giant shopping car wing on top and 10 degrees of negative camber with stretched tires but this is getting asinine.

That's a recent thing? I thought AI has always been that way. :confused:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 27, 2015

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Mods that don't do anything???

I painted my rotor hubs black and my calipers red and they aren't even performance brakes!!!!

I mainly wanted to paint the rotor hubs black because they were already rusting and the cars only a couple months old and then I just said what the hell and painted the calipers also.

VV The only other visual mod I have considered is wrapping the rear spoiler with matte black vinyl. Just a nice small amount of contrast.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 27, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beautiful car.

If you're really into performance visual mods, though, you might want to consider getting some stripes. Maybe paint your mirror caps red.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Do they make louvers for 15+ models yet? You should get louvers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I saw a GT86 the other day with louvers and...it really didn't look bad. Not something I would do, but not some horrific abomination.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cage posted:

Do they make louvers for 15+ models yet? You should get louvers.

Yes, they also make side window louvers and side window blackouts, for when you don't want to see at all. Roush also makes an non-functional hood scoop that sits on top of the cowl because? I've also seen stick on side vents so you can make your s550 look more like a New Edge.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Post your own ride 2015: Circle-jerks are great for everyone getting jerked off

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Tremek posted:

Tell us more about what's going on here? This looks like fun.

Since I'm 180 miles away from my car, my dad took it up for a track day up at Thompson Motorsports park. He's pretty happy with the car. Second time this year.

Bape Culture posted:

Is that a Cusco roll bar?

It's an Autopower roll bar I painted sparkle blue. It's better than Cusco but I wish it went back to the rear shock towers instead of the rear wheel wells. I'm sure they had their engineering reasons though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I think my car is too sedate looking. Where should I add stripes? Or would it ruin the clean factory looks.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
add some m stripes obviously

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sadi posted:

I think my car is too sedate looking. Where should I add stripes? Or would it ruin the clean factory looks.

Can i make a suggestion?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Can i make a suggestion?

Nailed it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
For davebo:

Will do burnouts for money.

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.
Looks like we're compensating for the top of the page.

I like the louvered look on the new edge, but I don't think it will fit well on the S550.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
What would it take to get louvers with a shocker sticker imprinted in them?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ArthurDent posted:

Looks like we're compensating for the top of the page.

I like the louvered look on the new edge, but I don't think it will fit well on the S550.
Yeah, it seems like your car might be a little too sleek for louvers. I'd say thats a pretty tiny drawback though for being able to drive your car.

TwoFire posted:

What would it take to get louvers with a shocker sticker imprinted in them?
Just put a giant decal on your rear window with the louvers on top, you would probably be able to see it still if the background was opaque.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Powershift posted:

Can i make a suggestion?

I like where you're going but it's missing that classic :rice: wing. I can never remember what those things were called.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Cage posted:

Just put a giant decal on your rear window with the louvers on top, you would probably be able to see it still if the background was opaque.

But I can still see things behind me. Help! :confused:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cage posted:

For davebo:

Will do burnouts for money.

Please tell me the ground is wet because its so low on power that to break traction with those wide tires you have to water the road first.

Edit: vv nah I like Mustangs, I learned to drive on my dad's '88 5.0, but I was a good responsible young man and never broke traction once. Then I came home from school one day and they had sold it to our neighbor and bought a used Camry that had airbags.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yes. I have to water the road, which is also my driveway, before I do my usual burnouts in my driveway, a road.

davebo posted:

I like the idea of there being at least one nicely preserved late-sn95 out there. Are there any power modifications? I worry that with just 260hp those fat tires will never get to break free.

davebo posted:

Please tell me the ground is wet because its so low on power that to break traction with those wide tires you have to water the road first.
I dunno why you hating on mustangs with wide tires. Jealous that the pizza cutters on your corvette can't compare? :smug:

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 28, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sadi posted:

I like where you're going but it's missing that classic :rice: wing. I can never remember what those things were called.

Park bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Basket handle.