Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The pictures of the Cruze don't even really look that bad. Yeah the front grille is kind of wonky, but other than that it looks like every other generic economy car on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/monotony-motors_786772.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Guinness posted:

The pictures of the Cruze don't even really look that bad. Yeah the front grille is kind of wonky, but other than that it looks like every other generic economy car on the market.

I think the Cruze has aged badly, and mechanically is pretty dull. Nearly every car in the Cruze's class, bar the Honda Civic and Nissan Pulsar, looks a billion times better than it. Even the Toyota Corolla (at least the one Australia gets) looks far more interesting. And that's pretty damning from the Toyota White Goods Car Factory.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Holy poo poo the amount of car above the rear wheel well before you get to the beltline. You could stack two tires vertically and be even with it. poo poo modern car proportions are out of whack.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The Cruze honestly looks way better in person than any pictures of it I've seen on the internet.

I just don't get why they're keeping the sharp angle on where the rear doors meet the c-pillars. That angle's not actually there on the Cruze's sheetmetal, so they create it with a piece of plastic trim. It was one of the more distinctive design elements on the last gen of Cavaliers and the Cobalt, but I woulda thought they'd want to dissociate this car somewhat from the Cav.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I dunno, I drive a Cobalt so...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had that desk when I was a kid!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So GM is like really bad at this recall thing, it looks like: http://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-the-damning-revelations-from-gms-documents-1563037043

Weird that people are claiming warranty on airbags. Wouldn't you have to crash it to find out they don't work?

The best part is the email chain where a GM VP freaks out because the US government has the sheer audacity to claim GM is a little lax with safety and goes as far to say Mitsubishi is a better car company.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 14, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So GM is like really bad at this recall thing, it looks like: http://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-the-damning-revelations-from-gms-documents-1563037043

Weird that people are claiming warranty on airbags. Wouldn't you have to crash it to find out they don't work?

The best part is the email chain where a GM VP freaks out because the US government has the sheer audacity to claim GM is a little lax with safety and goes as far to say Mitsubishi is a better car company.

Freaked out in a good way, like, this shouldn't be happening.
Why has nobody considered having a button you have to push to switch off, like every other manufacturer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Freaked out in a good way, like, this shouldn't be happening.
Why has nobody considered having a button you have to push to switch off, like every other manufacturer.

Huh? Everything I've driven that has a button only needs that to remove the key - not to turn it off. Even then, if the mechanism is worn or not holding properly by design, it won't help anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Won't it keep the steering wheel from locking up though? And the airbags on?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
kill GM, sell the trucks to China, the Camaro to Ford and the Vette to Dodge

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

VikingSkull posted:

kill GM, sell the trucks to China, the Camaro to Ford and the Vette to Dodge

To big to fail (catastrophically, in the showroom.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

Holy poo poo the amount of car above the rear wheel well before you get to the beltline. You could stack two tires vertically and be even with it. poo poo modern car proportions are out of whack.

This is a pretty silly statement to make about a car covered in camo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Won't it keep the steering wheel from locking up though? And the airbags on?

Nope. My old Cavalier (and I assume the Cobalt/Ion are the same) had a button to remove the key but you could switch that baby off while driving all day long without pushing it. It was only to release the key, like IOC said.

Having the key in the ignition cylinder probably keeps the steering wheel from locking up, but the airbags are only enabled when the car is set to ON it sounds like.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

You Am I posted:

I think the Cruze has aged badly, and mechanically is pretty dull. Nearly every car in the Cruze's class, bar the Honda Civic and Nissan Pulsar, looks a billion times better than it. Even the Toyota Corolla (at least the one Australia gets) looks far more interesting. And that's pretty damning from the Toyota White Goods Car Factory.

It's basically unchanged for six years, which is an eternity. Everything else has been either re-designed or significantly refreshed in that time period. I think it's still pretty competitive - power and fuel economy are still competitive, and the interior is decent compared to peers. Especially if you consider that GM cars frequently came from the factory uncompetitive, it's a good effort.

They really need to hit a home run with the 2016 though.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

They need to make another FWD coupe with a turbo. :colbert:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

VikingSkull posted:

and the Vette to Dodge
Don't even joke about that.
Honestly Id like to see Ford make a genuine 'vette competitor.
And bring back the Ranger.
And return the Explorer to Ranger based. (They already have 3 other CUVs, they don't need 4).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

And return the Explorer to Ranger based. (They already have 3 other CUVs, they don't need 4).

What about bringing back the Ranger but making it Explorer based

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, that's exactly it. People were crashing the cars in situations that should have set off the airbags but they weren't deploying (because the car was jostled off.) It's conceivable that some of those cars were repairable which would then result in a "Why the hell didn't my airbag go off?" warranty claim.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nope. My old Cavalier (and I assume the Cobalt/Ion are the same) had a button to remove the key but you could switch that baby off while driving all day long without pushing it. It was only to release the key, like IOC said.

Having the key in the ignition cylinder probably keeps the steering wheel from locking up, but the airbags are only enabled when the car is set to ON it sounds like.

I thought on my car it stops at ACC, but I'm not sure, as it's just muscle memory to push the button automatically if I'm touching the keys. I wonder if the airbags work in ACC actually. Maybe not.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ilkhan posted:

They've been making a front engine, rear wheel drive two seat sports car for two decades, Ford really hasn't since the 50's.

My point in saying what I did was GM is an awful company and the terrible alternatives are less terrible than GM.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ilkhan posted:

Both Ford and GM make live axle, BOF SUVs based on the Asian market Ranger and Colorado. The vehicle already exists.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 15, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Throatwarbler posted:

Both Ford and GM make live axle, BOF SUVs based on the Asian market Ranger and Colorado. The vehicle already exists.

That looks pretty good, actually.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ilkhan posted:

Ford Grand Cherokee.

Also; lol @ "Chevy Trailblazer, The Ultimate American PPV."

"That you can't buy in America."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

It's like some synthesis of the new hexagonal grille and three-bar grille but still much better than the disasterpiece that is the new F-150 front end design. On the other hand the int'l Colorado/Trailblazer is weird and bulgy.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'd get one of those Fords for my Mom as replacement for her 2004 Escape (dog hauler/light trail camper) over an Explorer, which is too big. That is provided it doesn't drive like her old 1998 Explorer.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 15, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That Everest looks a lot like an old 4Runner to me. Cool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was reading this and about 4 paragraphs in, I started thinking "Is this just a rant about government regulations? What the hell is the point of this?" And then I scrolled down.

quote:

© Copyright 2014 The Weekly Standard LLC - A Weekly Conservative Magazine & Blog. All Rights Reserved.

:freep:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Stupid government, trying to protect the environment and human lives.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KillHour posted:

I was reading this and about 4 paragraphs in, I started thinking "Is this just a rant about government regulations? What the hell is the point of this?" And then I scrolled down.

:freep:

Yeah, I wish I had a better source but it's just a one-spot compilation of stuff that's been posted over and over in this thread, when people ask "why is this hood so high, why are my windows gunslits, why is there so much sheetmetal above the wheels, why are all these drat cars the same." Which is actually people griping about the regulations. It comes up like every 5 pages, and came up like three posts below that one.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I wish I had a better source but it's just a one-spot compilation of stuff that's been posted over and over in this thread, when people ask "why is this hood so high, why are my windows gunslits, why is there so much sheetmetal above the wheels, why are all these drat cars the same." Which is actually people griping about the regulations. It comes up like every 5 pages, and came up like three posts below that one.

This might be a better article, since it looks like that one references it directly but then adds a bunch of :freep: stuff on top:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/taking-the-hit-how-pedestrian-protection-regs-make-cars-fatter-feature

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 15, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

One of the significant reasons for heightened beltines is side impact standards. Even if you did away with pedestrian impact standards, you're still not going to get 1989 Civic beltlines.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One of the significant reasons for heightened beltines is side impact standards. Even if you did away with pedestrian impact standards, you're still not going to get 1989 Civic beltlines.

I bet you could if customers and manufacturers cared and budgeted for it - more high strength steel, etc. The old gen subarus were known as having excellent side impact despite having low beltlines. But big greenhouses aren't fashionable either so they'd rather spend the money on other engineering areas.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cars getting fatter will continue until we stop trying to use engineering to fix a driver training problem.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

fix a driver training problem.

Self driving cars are going to happen before this.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrYenko posted:

Cars getting fatter will continue until we stop trying to use engineering to fix a driver training problem.

I think this really isn't true for a lot of safety things, but exceptions that stand out to me are roof crush test standards and pedestrian impact standards, which really are more a driver training problem. Roof strenght standards are kind of sillly since it's fairly difficult to flip a non-SUV car unless you're loving things up real bad (especially with modern stability and roll control) and ironically the extra weight on the roof makes cars more likely to flip.

Also the pedestrian impact standards are of questionable efficacy even in Europe, and are honestly pretty irrelevant for the US where they're a pretty small portion of traffic fatalities. Especially because, again ironically, higher cowls and beltlines actually make it harder to see pedestrians. You'd be better off spending on driver education and better civil engineering considering the probably significant cost it has in terms of aerodynamics and thus fuel mileage (esp. in the US where highway driving is more common).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Self driving cars are going to happen before this.

The heat death of the universe is going to happen before this.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PCOS Bill posted:

The heat death of the universe is going to happen before this.

What? Self-driving cars already exist. Like it or not, the days of piloting your own vehicle are numbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

What? Self-driving cars already exist. Like it or not, the days of piloting your own vehicle are numbered.

I wasn't responding to his statement, I was adding to it. The universe will end before people get smarter about driving.

And they'll take my self driving driving from my cold, dead hands.