Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kilometers Davis posted:

Would anyone like to share relatable stories about the successes and frustrations in finding the tone you hear in your head? I accidentally watched some PRS videos with their guitars through an Archon and it bugs the hell out of me how it's exactly the sound I've been looking for. I've always felt like their guitars would be a great match for me but I've never had the chance to play one.

I swear once or twice a year I get that PRS bug. It's tradition at this point.

it's basically what happens every fourth time i turn on my amp. i'm getting increasingly frustrated with this thing, even knowing that some people can get some sick sounds out of it.

edit: lmao at calling axe fx kiddie poo poo, what did they expect you to have, like a marshall stack or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
uhhh,,sorry,we really actually need a guy who can dime his jcm800 for us. this extremely powerful and versatile piece of equipment that outclasses many things in the price range and is quickly becoming studio standard equipment just isn't going to cut it for our cover band that makes maybe 100 bucks a gig

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Would anyone like to share relatable stories about the successes and frustrations in finding the tone you hear in your head? I accidentally watched some PRS videos with their guitars through an Archon and it bugs the hell out of me how it's exactly the sound I've been looking for. I've always felt like their guitars would be a great match for me but I've never had the chance to play one.

Not so much a story but advice on how to avoid tonechasing because it's a waste of time and money. Get a friend who plays well enough and have them test stuff out. When you hear something you like, go with that.

This is assuming of course you're on a limited budget. If not, then gently caress it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

muike posted:

edit: lmao at calling axe fx kiddie poo poo, what did they expect you to have, like a marshall stack or something
I figure, God forbid I'd shown up with some no name knock off MARSHALL clone, like my old Soldano or my Granger.

The plan right now is for all my buddies to keep showing up and auditioning with the cheapest, shittiest modeling gear available.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was working on a track, late one night.
When suddenly, I beheld an eerie sight...

It's the one time of year you can get away with showing off a coffin case.

Given what's in it doesn't fit in any normal case, I thought it was all right.

Besides, it's appropriate.
Happy Halloween from the Pointy Guitar Club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7WJaCDv2ww

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

iostream.h posted:

I figure, God forbid I'd shown up with some no name knock off MARSHALL clone, like my old Soldano or my Granger.

The plan right now is for all my buddies to keep showing up and auditioning with the cheapest, shittiest modeling gear available.

Sounds like you need to place an order with Amazon for some of these and return while a friend films their reactions.

http://www.amazon.com/VOX-Amplug-Akiyama-Limited-Edition/dp/B0062V8MPQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTYOKZC/ref=psdc_689637011_t2_B006E5NP48

http://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-Fuzzy-Glasses-Classic-Disguise/dp/B000JNS2ZS

baka kaba posted:

Get one of the badass pedal circuits that's been shown around here recently, and put it in a can of beans. Preferably one that's been cut open all ragged

With half the beans poured back in after waterproofing the connection.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 1, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Get one of the badass pedal circuits that's been shown around here recently, and put it in a can of beans. Preferably one that's been cut open all ragged

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

iostream.h posted:

Assuming they're still looking for it at that point and that you survive your gig with it, send someone in with the goontar.

I use an old cube-mp3 speaker set as a portable mini amp. Wish it had a volume wheel rather than off-min-max, but it has a TL072 opamp in it so when it breaks up it actually sounds good. I don't know if they make that particular model any more though, I bought something similar recently and the circuit is much simpler.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

E-Money posted:

Or you could be the 1 person target audience that gibson is shooting for.

That thing owns and being able to store 18 tunings in it and tune on the fly is loving boss.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Sire Oblivion posted:

That thing owns and being able to store 18 tunings in it and tune on the fly is loving boss.

correction: nylon gears suck, which is the opposite of own.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so I was lowering my pickups and accidentally lowered too far. I pulled out the pick guard and put the screw back i tugged it a bit to hard I think. now it seems my neck pickup is coming through on each pickup selection.

so in fear of going in blind, what should I keep an eye out for? they are coil tapped humbuckers with a three position selector switch.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Sockington posted:

Room? I've got kids. Practice dungeon.

(4' tall crawl space under half our house I have slowly reclaimed as a dad-corner). And that's my tone carpet :colbert:

Anything is better than living in an apartment. I'm jealous of that setup.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
fixed my wiring issues, there was a mass of wires that I sorted out a but with the two pickups touching I believe, either way it's back to normal.

hurrah for pushing stuff around and hoping for the best

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Question for any classical guitarists out there:

Can I get a recommendation for a good capo? Reading reviews on Amazon, it sounds like a lot of capos are built for the narrower acoustic and electric guitar necks, and end up not fitting properly / creating buzz on a classical guitar. Is a there go-to option for an affordable classical capo? I don't need any pro performance-quality or anything, just something I can use while messing around at home without worrying about it exploding into plastic shards or not doing its job.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Question for any classical guitarists out there:

Can I get a recommendation for a good capo? Reading reviews on Amazon, it sounds like a lot of capos are built for the narrower acoustic and electric guitar necks, and end up not fitting properly / creating buzz on a classical guitar. Is a there go-to option for an affordable classical capo? I don't need any pro performance-quality or anything, just something I can use while messing around at home without worrying about it exploding into plastic shards or not doing its job.

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...ptbpavu1kaj5id1

I'm on my phone, so I hope the link works, but it's the Schubb classical capo. The Planet Waves adjustable capos are also decent for classical. Schubb is basically the professional standard.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's a classical variation of just about every capo out there. I use a Kyser, which is really good, but the NS design one by Planet Waves seems really cool and combines two things I like: Planet waves and Ned Steinberger

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

firebad57 posted:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...ptbpavu1kaj5id1

I'm on my phone, so I hope the link works, but it's the Schubb classical capo. The Planet Waves adjustable capos are also decent for classical. Schubb is basically the professional standard.

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/21st-century-cejilla-for-6-string-classical-flamenco-guitar-1153.html?zenid=5ijddjq7jvcptbpavu1kaj5id1

I've got a few of these and I love them.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

RagingHematoma posted:

Anything is better than living in an apartment. I'm jealous of that setup.

Same here. Sucks you can't stand while you play Sock, but that's a beautiful carpet you have in your bunker.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Schpyder posted:

Bass VIs own

Think I might be trading it for a Classic Player Cabronita Tele since I never play it currently and can just get another one when I feel like it (edit: prob. in white vs. the sunburst)

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Sockington posted:

Think I might be trading it for a Classic Player Cabronita Tele since I never play it currently and can just get another one when I feel like it (edit: prob. in white vs. the sunburst)

Give it to me.:argh:

But seriously, how do they play compared to a standard 4-string bass? Are chords out of the question?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nebraska Tim posted:

Give it to me.:argh:

But seriously, how do they play compared to a standard 4-string bass? Are chords out of the question?

4string has WAAAYY more oomph to the notes than the Bass VI ever could.

Open chords can be played slowly (primarily on the D, G, B, and E strings) with a soft root hits on the A and E strings (like hit the root of an Open G lightly, then slowly strum through the chord).

Individual notes within a chord is more where it shines.

Unfortunately, we don't play anything that I could use it for but it was a fun experience while I had it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Okay, the pickups are kind of fun with gain.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is it possible to get a jaguar-esque tremolo arm for a strat? Did some searching and it looks like everything is the pop-in variety while I need a threaded one.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sire Oblivion posted:

How does it handle intonation?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Sockington posted:

4string has WAAAYY more oomph to the notes than the Bass VI ever could.

Open chords can be played slowly (primarily on the D, G, B, and E strings) with a soft root hits on the A and E strings (like hit the root of an Open G lightly, then slowly strum through the chord).

Individual notes within a chord is more where it shines.

Unfortunately, we don't play anything that I could use it for but it was a fun experience while I had it.

I've got mine set up for DADFAD open minor tuning and it works a lot better with chords. One of the drawbacks is sympathetic vibrations so you need to either mute unwanted strings or play barres exclusively.

Try it with an open tuning through a crunchy guitar amp and a fuzz or tubescreamer set to max volume 0 gain.

VI's are the perfect low tuned metal guitar. Except when the claw shield isn't enough to cut out hum on the bridge pickup and flipping the middle pup on kills your gain.

Still looking for a decent hotrail bridge humbucker to replace the scoil in mine.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How does it handle intonation?

It doesn't, that's on you.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

iostream.h posted:

The next guitarist they were auditioning (something of a local 'hero' and a long-term friend of mine) comes in, sees me and walks over to say hey and catch up a bit while I'm finishing putting my stuff away. We were chatting about the rally's shenanigans last week when he sees my rolling rack, gets all excited and asks if I brought my Axe-FX with me and when I answer yes, asks if he can play through it for his audition. I explained that I'd love to, but that my Mickey Mouse toy poo poo wasn't loving allowed at their loving audition for a loving PRO guitarist and that I should have kept my Christmas presents from my Mommy at home (I attempted to quote the guys as closely as possible while they stood there listening) but for him to swing by my place next week, hang out and give it a whirl.

Awesome story :golfclap:

I don't know if you posted about this before but what does your setup look like? Do you have your AxeFX hooked up to some kind of FRFR monitor? Straight into the PA?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there a company that does a guitar with a p90 neck (not in a humbucker casing) with a humbucker bridge? Stock/semi/full custom is cool. I'm just day dreaming and I never see that outside of people drilling their own.... I guess I kind of want one too.....

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

moctopus posted:

Is there a company that does a guitar with a p90 neck (not in a humbucker casing) with a humbucker bridge? Stock/semi/full custom is cool. I'm just day dreaming and I never see that outside of people drilling their own.... I guess I kind of want one too.....

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Lou-Pallo-Signature-Les-Paul.aspx

Gibson did it :)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Tehre are others, see http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Futura.aspx .

I really like HS guitars. I think I'm going to change my JMJM to having a WRHB in the bridge.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Those are cool. Do they exist outside of an LP cut? Both guitars I own are LP cut.

Also what are the general feelings on humbucker housing for a p90. Seems like it changes the shape considerably, but I'm curious how much timbre is altered.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

moctopus posted:

Not in a humbucker casing? Well, you can get a Tele Deluxe or Strat and they have pickguards cut for full P90s. Tele is probably easier to find.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

moctopus posted:

Those are cool. Do they exist outside of an LP cut? Both guitars I own are LP cut.

Also what are the general feelings on humbucker housing for a p90. Seems like it changes the shape considerably, but I'm curious how much timbre is altered.

I've never tried a proper p90 in person, but I'm fond of HSP90's. I doubt it makes a significant difference tbh.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

moctopus posted:

Reverend has you covered.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

moctopus posted:

The bar magnets are slightly shorter, but that's really about it. There are other factors that will affect the tone more so than the length of the bar magnets.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Hmm crazy timing for me.

My semi custom Rondo order just came in, but there's a problem.

They shipped it with nickel frets instead of stainless. Can anyone tell me how much this matters or if at all?

They're willing to take $200 off if I accept it with the nickel frets.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
how much did you want SS frets?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

muike posted:

how much did you want SS frets?

Unless there's some awesome difference I'm indifferent.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
sounds like you'll be fine with the 200 bucks off unless you want to wait for a rebuild in the next batch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

muike posted:

sounds like you'll be fine with the 200 bucks off unless you want to wait for a rebuild in the next batch

Thanks!