Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

take me to the beaver posted:

Your friend is full of poo poo, approximately 1/3 of perfectly viable pregnancies don't involve vomiting and half that don't get morning sickness. Uncommon? Yes, but it's likely enough that you shouldn't worry about it.

Oh, I know. :). I think it just goes to show how much we associate certain symptoms with being the default and thus associated with a healthy pregnancy. If there’s a pregnant character in tv or movies, the audience will be clued in that she’s pregnant just by the fact that she’s throwing up.

I have the Baby Centre app that I’ve been following each week and there’s constant articles about morning sickness and how to quell it. I just skip over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I was crushed when I leaned that the water breaks naturally only 10 to 15% of the time. Crushed.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Bananaquiter posted:

I was crushed when I leaned that the water breaks naturally only 10 to 15% of the time. Crushed.

Mine was like a torrent, but it was after I’d already started active labour. I felt it about to happen and dashed outside onto the deck and it just went everywhere. It still kept happening once I was at hospital. My midwife said she’d never seen so much come out of one person.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

femcastra posted:

Mine was like a torrent, but it was after I’d already started active labour. I felt it about to happen and dashed outside onto the deck and it just went everywhere. It still kept happening once I was at hospital. My midwife said she’d never seen so much come out of one person.

I found out in week 20 something that my fluid was on the higher end of the normal limits. Checked again in 2 weeks and it was over the normal limits. It continued to rise as we went along. It was idiopathic so nothing we could do but check her heart twice a week to make sure she wasn’t getting squished.

The last appointment they measured me, I was 34 weeks and measured at 40. She wanted to induce me when we got closer to the due date so losing so much fluid wouldn’t stress the baby. And if it broke on my own she said “it will be an absolute horrible mess”. Well she was right. I went to the triage at 36 weeks for high BP. When they decided to induce and it was time to break my water I told the nurses and midwife I had too much. They were not prepared.

My husband said it sounded like someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. They had to run and get more pads to soak up the table twice. The nurse said that’s the most she’s ever seen and couldn’t believe I was carrying all that around.

It felt so good. That was such a relief. I have no idea if it’s supposed to feel like such a relief because I already had an epidural, but I took a really good nap after the flood.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Do any of you have any recommendations for dress type shoes that are supportive and comfortable during pregnancy, but not super ugly?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Clarks tend to be good for support, and have wides available in some styles if swelling has been a problem for you. 6pm has good sales on them. Rockport, Ecco, and sometimes Naturalizer have good support, but wading through styles for these brands can be hit or miss, depending how stylish you have to look.

Tbh I just wore black/slightly fashionable sneakers for the last two months because nobody was going to call me out on it at that point.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Clarks tend to be good for support, and have wides available in some styles if swelling has been a problem for you. 6pm has good sales on them. Rockport, Ecco, and sometimes Naturalizer have good support, but wading through styles for these brands can be hit or miss, depending how stylish you have to look.

Tbh I just wore black/slightly fashionable sneakers for the last two months because nobody was going to call me out on it at that point.

Thank you! I’ll check those brands out. I can’t do heels anymore for work. My body thinks I’m 6 months pregnant even though I’m 3 mos.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check nurse shoes/sandals (and accept crocs into your heart)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

peanut posted:

I just can’t do that last part.

Is it advisable to purchase shoes in a wide size? I’m assuming my feet are going to get puffier. They already hurt like hell.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Each time I got pregnant it was right after I bought a new pair of Chucks. I would never get to wear them until at least 6 months post partum.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
If you go nursing shoes route, don’t get Dansko clogs. They are rigid and it’s easy to roll your ankles in them, I imagine even easier when pregnancy klutziness really sets in. A coworker actually broke her ankle from stepping wrong in Danskos.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Koivunen posted:

If you go nursing shoes route, don’t get Dansko clogs. They are rigid and it’s easy to roll your ankles in them, I imagine even easier when pregnancy klutziness really sets in. A coworker actually broke her ankle from stepping wrong in Danskos.

I wear Danskos at work because of my plantar fasciitis.

It’s not something you want to invest in while pregnant. They don’t give. Not even a little bit. I had to stop wearing them before I hit 2nd trimester because I couldn’t get them on.

A lot of the surgical techs here wear them. To my knowledge no one has injured themselves or they would be banned from here.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Speaking of this I was actually looking at these the other day. I know there are a couple of nurses in this thread at the moment, what do you guys wear for work if not those? I'm going to be starting vet surgery soon and wonder if I should be investing in a decent pair of shoes to see me ahead the next few years.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Skechers memory foam have been my go-to nursing shoes for years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All the surgeons and nurses change to white crocs for the OR here.
The white crocs have copper brown splash stains.
It's iodine, of course…

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

peanut posted:

I got some pregnancy crocs, but you know the classy lace up sneaker kind. I regret nothing.

That said I don't know how anyone works a twelve hour shift in crocs, my feet start to sweat immediately. Crocs with socks?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Well, I went for my ultrasound this morning. There was no heartbeat and what was even in there was only the size of a pea. When I went to the bathroom afterwards I noticed I had started bleeding. I guess I’m in the middle of having a miscarriage.

My husband and I cried a lot and I texted my mom. I know we’ll be okay, but it really sucks because I was getting ready to make an announcement to everyone and was getting really excited as I was getting close to that 12 week mark. Today is 12 weeks.

Better luck next time, I guess.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Nessa posted:

Well, I went for my ultrasound this morning. There was no heartbeat and what was even in there was only the size of a pea. When I went to the bathroom afterwards I noticed I had started bleeding. I guess I’m in the middle of having a miscarriage.

My husband and I cried a lot and I texted my mom. I know we’ll be okay, but it really sucks because I was getting ready to make an announcement to everyone and was getting really excited as I was getting close to that 12 week mark. Today is 12 weeks.

I’m so sorry. I know what that’s like and it’s so hard.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Nessa posted:

I’m so sorry Nessa.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

I’m so sorry Nessa.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bananaquiter posted:

Crocs with socks?

yes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I’m so sorry. I know what that’s like and it’s so hard.

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m so sorry Nessa.

Sarah posted:

I’m so sorry Nessa.

Thank you for the condolences. I had an appointment with my obstetrician this evening and was told that it probably died 4-5 weeks ago and my body is just now expelling it. I’m in more physical pain than emotional pain right now, but I bought myself a dinosaur ice cream cake to make me feel better and my in-laws came over to offer their support. I know things will get better and I’m hopeful that things will turn out differently next time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m not sure if it’s totally normal in a miscarriage or not, but I’m still having some decently heavy bright red bleeding and passing clots when I’m 3 days into the process. My Googling only led to sites saying that the heavier bleeding and cramping will stop in 3-5 hours after starting and to only see a doctor if the clots are golf ball sized or bigger, if you’re soaking 2 pads in 2 hours for more than 4 hours or if there’s shoulder pain.

I know I’m probably fine, but it would be nice to have a better idea of what’s normal in this process. I know that bright red blood is fresh, so is it normal to still be fresh after 3 days?

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
It runs my mind that I had bright red bleeding for about a week after; and I was in a similar position to you (baby died several weeks prior to the miscarriage).

If you are worried, call your doctor though! I had a follow up like 5 or 7 days after I first went to the ER that helped to dial in on what was normal or not.

Sorry for your loss, Nessa. It sucks.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Yeah, I think it sounds totally normal to still have heavy bleeding and clots a few days later. The guidelines you were given sound good. I’d add if you feel dizzy, faint or light-headed at any point you should also call your doc, especially if your bleeding is around 2 pads/hour for several hours in a row.

I’m so sorry this happened. Hugs to you.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, yeah, that makes me feel a bit better. I’ve got an ultrasound on Thursday to check things out. I just hope I’ll be able to function well at work. I was pretty out of it and had a hard time concentrating on Friday. If I get the level of cramps that I’m having now when I’m at work, I doubt I’ll be very useful. I told my coworker what happened, but haven’t told my boss yet. We’ve been short staffed and I didn’t want to bring up a personal issue in the middle of meeting a tight deadline, or bring it up in earshot of clients.

My boss knew I was pregnant because of all the doctor’s appointments I’ve had to allot time for. I guess I’ll have to let him know tomorrow that I won’t be taking that maternity leave in November. :/

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Those of you with the Spectra S2, is there a trick to being able to sit back while you use it? I feel like I have to lean forward while I pump or else the milk all pools under my nipple instead of flowing into the bottle; but surely the manufacturers didn't design this thing to force women to hunch over while they use it...

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

watchoutitsabear posted:

Those of you with the Spectra S2, is there a trick to being able to sit back while you use it? I feel like I have to lean forward while I pump or else the milk all pools under my nipple instead of flowing into the bottle; but surely the manufacturers didn't design this thing to force women to hunch over while they use it...

Check that you’re using the right flange/funnel(?) size- there should be enough clearance around your nipple that the milk should be able to flow into the bottle instead of pooling. There’ll be a little bit of surface tension that will keep some milk near the nipple, but not so much that it won’t collect properly.

Also make sure that little white silicone piece that sticks into the bottle isn’t stuck together- sometimes the slit on it gets tacked together after sterilizing and will keep milk from entering the bottle.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I've never sat back to pump, fwiw, and have an S1 Spectra(identical to the S2 apart from being battery powered portable). Gravity seems to help get milk out, plus (with a pumping bra) you can really work on massaging and compressions during pumping. I've been guilty of standing up and leaning over even, trying to maximise what I can get out in my 6-8 minute pump sessions at work.

So much effort, ugh. People who pump to donate are saints.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I can’t lean back, I use the Spectra S2. I’ve occasionally not been paying attention and the milk pools and causes the seal to break and milk goes everywhere. It’s very annoying.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Ugh well it's good to know I'm not using it wrong. I ended up picking up a Haakaa manual pump to throw on my other boob when I nurse and the unused boob starts expressing milk. It's great! Suctions right on there and collects a decent amount of milk.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

So I've been pretty lucky so far w/r/t morning sickness (any nausea I've had has been very mild, I haven't vomited at all) but I am experiencing something a quick Google tells me is common in pregnancy (though more common for people with hyperemesis or at least stronger morning sickness than I've had): a strong gag reflex when brushing my teeth. Anyone else? I'm worried now it's gotten to the point where maybe it's mostly mental; I'm anticipating gagging and so I do. But I didn't used to have this. It happens when I'm brushing my back teeth (expected) but also when I'm just brushing my tongue, not even far back.

It's really annoying, and I'm avoiding flossing and brushing my wisdom teeth now, and I don't want to end up with dental issues. Any tips or tricks for getting over it?

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
I had that too! It's the worst goddamn thing. It doesn't really go away, or at least mine didn't completely until I wasn't pregnant anymore :( it abated somewhat at the end of the first trimester so I was able to brush my teeth without gagging eventually. It was probably the worst pregnancy side effect I experienced (I'm sorry everyone who had/has it way, way worse) but constantly gagging on everything including overly large bites of food or a flossing attempt gets old real fast. After a while I was just super cavalier about gagging because it was just the new normal.

I brought it up to my doctor and she was pretty much like 'yep, it be like that'. I don't have any suggestions for what to do about it besides the fact that it does get better, which unfortunately sums up most horrible and annoying pregnancy symptoms and issues.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yup me too. Almost every time I vomited while I had morning sickness was when I was trying to brush my teeth. No real tips unfortunately, I ended up brushing my teeth in the shower with the water cooled and a window open for fresh air so it would help me feel better but otherwise just had to staunch through it because I hated the idea of dirty teeth and tongue even more than gagging and sometimes vomiting. This was even with metoclopramide to manage the constant nausea.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
My teeth/gums suffered a lot with my first because of this issue. Switching to a not-minty toothpaste helped a bit so you can try a different toothpaste but honestly it was pretty crappy no matter what.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Absolutely. I’m almost embarrassed to admit the number of days I’ve skipped brushing my teeth because of it. I try to make sure I do at least a bit during times when I’m not feeling badly, and if I only manage 15 seconds then I stop. Because throwing up after brushing sort of defeats the purpose anyway. It happened all throughout my first pregnancy and is definitely a problem again this time. Oh yeah, hi thread, I’m 15 weeks today with baby #2.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I only threw up once with my pregnancy (not counting GI bug) and it was in the first trimester after brushing my teeth. I would get terrible gags with brushing, and near-vom episodes, but usually pausing and taking deep breaths would resolve it. I didn’t floss at all because I knew it wouldn’t end well, but when I went to the dentist around 22 weeks they said not to worry at all, it’s only temporary. By my third trimester it was gone and I could brush and floss like normal.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Any birth partners here "catch" their baby as it was coming out? What was your experience like?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

noooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

What is the false positive rate for most home pregnancy tests? I'm having trouble finding an actual percentage through Google and am just seeing "it's rare."

From my understanding the false negative rate is just 1 minus the accuracy on the box, but not sure where to find the false positive rate.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 10, 2019