Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Surface imaging chat - did this not work for you guys? http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/07/15/deploy-windows-to-surface-pro-3-using-microsoft-deployment-toolkit.aspx

I haven't tried it yet, but that article looked pretty comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Surface imaging chat - did this not work for you guys? http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/07/15/deploy-windows-to-surface-pro-3-using-microsoft-deployment-toolkit.aspx

I haven't tried it yet, but that article looked pretty comprehensive.

I've referenced that document a number of times, but it doesn't address Bitlocker. Whatever the issue is, it only effects the Surface tablets with regards to imaging and Bitlocker. Any other device in the environment that I'm imaging with Win 8.1 is fine.

Sorry for the constant BL segue, guys. I'm done now.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So beyond pissed right now. Thought I had :yotj: out of my current nightmare job. Got an offer, official offer letter, start date, etc that I accepted. AFTER that they say they need to run a background check. I think that's weird they didnt ask for that ahead of time but whatever. I have good not great credit mid 700's, and no criminal record. I did however default on a student loan. I'm in repayment for it currently but it's still a negative on my report. Now they want to rescind the offer. What are my options here? At this point I dont even think I want to work for them anymore.

Either someone in HR has a stick up their rear end, or you were about to get pulled into a mess of office politics. It really sounds like a "we need any reason we can find to prevent this team/manager from hiring people" thing.

Either way, I'd call it a bullet dodged.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mrit posted:

They are idiots and you should just walk away. Maybe tell them that they are idiots, but in a professional way.

The problem is that I've already put in my two weeks with my current company. I'm good, I have some savings and could make it a few months fine but I'm super pissed because I thought this was a really good opportunity for me and now they're pulling this poo poo. Even better the email asking me about the background check and my student loan default came direct from the president. Did some Googling and this guy appears to be some crazy christian fundamentalist. gently caress! Was so happy to have something lined up and not have to go jump through hoops applying everywhere.

I mean what are my legal options or options for unemployment if they do rescind my offer? I already have the offer letter and they asked for a background check afterwards. Also worth mentioning is that this company doesnt even do anything in the finance or military industries which is where I've heard of these types of things happening. It's an agri-business company.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I mean what are my legal options or options for unemployment if they do rescind my offer? I already have the offer letter and they asked for a background check afterwards.

What state do you live in?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

What state do you live in?

Minnesota.

Like I said I can go a few months but I took my time looking because I wanted to go someplace I thought would be a good career opportunity for me. If I can get unemployment to at least look that much longer all the better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The problem is that I've already put in my two weeks with my current company. I'm good, I have some savings and could make it a few months fine but I'm super pissed because I thought this was a really good opportunity for me and now they're pulling this poo poo. Even better the email asking me about the background check and my student loan default came direct from the president. Did some Googling and this guy appears to be some crazy christian fundamentalist. gently caress! Was so happy to have something lined up and not have to go jump through hoops applying everywhere.

I mean what are my legal options or options for unemployment if they do rescind my offer? I already have the offer letter and they asked for a background check afterwards. Also worth mentioning is that this company doesnt even do anything in the finance or military industries which is where I've heard of these types of things happening. It's an agri-business company.

Accepting an offer and putting in your two weeks is always a risk. Have you not talked to your current employer and see about getting your notice rescinded ?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The problem is that I've already put in my two weeks with my current company.

You've taken action on a (signed with signatures, right?) job contract that they now want to cancel because they didn't do their due diligence before extending you an offer. You could angle for some months of "severance" yourself, or get a lawyer involved to get the same.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Accepting an offer and putting in your two weeks is always a risk. Have you not talked to your current employer and see about getting your notice rescinded ?

They already wanted to bring me back in as a contractor to help with some on going projects and they had asked me to push out my final day of work to help out. They would definitely welcome me back with open arms but I was hoping to move on to bigger and better things.

NeuralSpark posted:

You've taken action on a (signed with signatures, right?) job contract that they now want to cancel because they didn't do their due diligence before extending you an offer. You could angle for some months of "severance" yourself, or get a lawyer involved to get the same.
Yes I have signed an official offer letter, specifying my job title, start date, pay rate and benefits. I dont know if that counts as a contract or not.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I guess the real question is if there is wording in the employment contract based along the lines of "contingent upon passing a background/credit check"?

Such wording existed in mine but I knew it was going to happen before they did it (had to sign consent forms, etc).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yes I have signed an official offer letter, specifying my job title, start date, pay rate and benefits. I dont know if that counts as a contract or not.

Unless they're completely incompetent, it does not.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

Unless they're completely incompetent, it does not.

So I'm hosed basically? I guess it's back to the job hunt and I'll try to negotiate as high of contractor pay as I can with my current company. I'll also devote a good amount of my time to badmouthing this company on Glassdoor, and everyone I can find.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I'm hosed basically? I guess it's back to the job hunt and I'll try to negotiate as high of contractor pay as I can with my current company. I'll also devote a good amount of my time to badmouthing this company on Glassdoor, and everyone I can find.

I mean, look over the offer letter, but very few offer letters are binding contracts.

On the upside, the job market in the cities is great, so you shouldn't have trouble finding work.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You should get a free consultation from an employment lawyer. They would have more accurate information on your local laws and if there would be anything else you could do in this situation.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

lampey posted:

You should get a free consultation from an employment lawyer. They would have more accurate information on your local laws and if there would be anything else you could do in this situation.

This, basically.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They already wanted to bring me back in as a contractor to help with some on going projects and they had asked me to push out my final day of work to help out. They would definitely welcome me back with open arms but I was hoping to move on to bigger and better things

It's not my place, but if I was you, I'd be tempted to accept the contract work to give me as much time as possible to find the perfect job. If it ends up taking a few months for you to find it, that'll help stave-off any shelf-life issues as well.

Edit: Oh, and, yes, do the free consultation. A local is going to be the only one who can determine if you have a case.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Nthing the suggestion that you work as a contractor. Just remember that your tax situation suddenly got much more complicated, so make sure you save enough to handle the various taxes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Nthing the suggestion that you work as a contractor. Just remember that your tax situation suddenly got much more complicated, so make sure you save enough to handle the various taxes.

Get a paycheck calculator that includes taxes.
Take the amount of taxes and add 10%.
Charge that much for contracting, and save the aforementioned amount.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Volmarias posted:

To make this a little easier, find your rate. Then add 15.3% (medicare and social security). Pay your taxes to the IRS every quarter.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are working a contractor make sure to charge for vacation, sick time, training, 401k/pension, computers and anything else your employer was providing but you are not paying out of pocket.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Get a paycheck calculator that includes taxes.
Take the amount of taxes and add 10%.
Charge that much for contracting, and save the aforementioned amount.

You forgot the double it step. Contracting should be at a far higher hourly wage because of the fewer guarantees you have for the future.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tried to clone the girlfriend's hard drive onto an SSD, but Windows 8 has UEFI~~~~ and its making GBS threads up the place. My SH/SC 32GB USB stick/bottle opener doesn't like to stay mounted as a media drive and my SD card reader just poo poo the bed, so I have no way of creating recovery media.

This poo poo was so much easier in Win 7. :sigh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Macrium Reflect Free

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

go3 posted:

Macrium Reflect Free

Just reclone it using Macrium?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Phone posted:

Tried to clone the girlfriend's hard drive onto an SSD, but Windows 8 has UEFI~~~~ and its making GBS threads up the place. My SH/SC 32GB USB stick/bottle opener doesn't like to stay mounted as a media drive and my SD card reader just poo poo the bed, so I have no way of creating recovery media.

This poo poo was so much easier in Win 7. :sigh:

EFI makes this easier because it's just a partition and no MBR crap. BCD embeds partition guids, though, even though that shouldn't be a problem with a straight copy. If it created a new NTFS partition with a new guid...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I spent part of my day mounting a wireless AP enclosure in a suspended ceiling tile, then trimming the old tile down so it would fit in the remaining space. Apparently when asking someone if a ceiling tile is a regular size and they say yes, it is important to make sure both sides know what that size is. As it turns out, regular on our side is 2'x2' when the actual tile is 2'x4'. A little frontier surgery and things fit fine, just as long as no one takes a real close look at one edge of that tile.

While on the road today, I was sent to a site to do a wireless site survey, to get an idea where we are going to put some APs. Having never done this before, I looked up some how-to's online, all of which had recommendations like "have a floor plan with measurements" or "bring a AP to get an idea of any potential interference." Since I had neither, what I did is pull things out of my rear end and guess.

On the other hand, I found I'm way the hell over my head in dealing with audiovisual equipment for video conference stuff. I ordered what I thought were standard ceiling mics, and instead of having some friendly XLR jacks, they just have pin outs. I imagine I can get creative and make it work, but I just wanted something simple.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 18, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phone posted:

Just reclone it using Macrium?
What were you using to clone it before?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

anthonypants posted:

What were you using to clone it before?

EaseUS ToDo Backup. I'll give it a shot this morning.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
So I have an MDT server, and another department has WSUS servers. (My MDT server is connected to the deployment-area switch and the intranet backbone with a nice 2 Gbps pipe, but the three WSUS servers, which serve several thousand clients, have 100 Mbps drinking straws :sigh:)

I have a task sequence that fills a reference VM with a plain-vanilla Windows 7 desktop image, runs Windows Update, installs Office 2010 and Office-365 2013 to it, and then runs Windows Update again. After that, I capture the VM as a WIM and use another task sequence to deploy the captured WIM to the desktops, along with a bunch of other apps, and another two rounds of Windows Update. At each step, WU is talking only to the WSUS server.

When the reference VM is finished deploying, WU says "yep, you're up to date, nothing to see here." I even run a mini task sequence that does the same WU-checking steps as the desktop-deployment sequence, and it says "nope, nothing to be downloaded, why are you even asking?" I think great, capture the WIM, copy it to the desktop-deployment share and kick off a real deployment.

The first round of WU in the desktop-deployment sequence up and says "welp there are 25 updates that you need for Office 2013! Let me just take half an hour to download and install them."

This is pissing me off. Why are these updates not found when I'm building the reference image? I check the ZTIWindowsUpdate log and sure enough, it's not picking up any updates at all for Office 2013, but then when the WIM gets loaded onto the desktop, all of a sudden Office 2013 is visible? How does this even work?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

evol262 posted:

EFI makes this easier because it's just a partition and no MBR crap. BCD embeds partition guids, though, even though that shouldn't be a problem with a straight copy. If it created a new NTFS partition with a new guid...

Could it be doing this since the target is a smaller SSD?

Macrium is running, I'll figure this poo poo out later.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Phone posted:

Could it be doing this since the target is a smaller SSD?

Macrium is running, I'll figure this poo poo out later.

Macrium's docs say they handle this, so you may not need to worry about it, but read this. And this, which is long, but will tell you everything about EFI you'll probably ever need to know.

But since we don't know if the original disk was MBR or GPT, or whether you had an EFI partition in the first place (and this isn't a tech support thread anyway) :iiam:

The Windows thread can probably help you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's GPT and the other cloning program I used formatted it as GPT as well. I haven't been a CJ for 3 years and everything loving changes. I'll find out soon enough.

I'm just hoping that Win 10 isn't a complete pile and farce like 8/8.1 has been. I installed the Technical and Consumer Previews and was immediately disappointed.

poo poo that pisses me off: getting back into the CJ game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Phone posted:

It's GPT and the other cloning program I used formatted it as GPT as well. I haven't been a CJ for 3 years and everything loving changes. I'll find out soon enough.

I'm just hoping that Win 10 isn't a complete pile and farce like 8/8.1 has been. I installed the Technical and Consumer Previews and was immediately disappointed.

10 is better in all sorts of ways what disappointed you?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Phone posted:

Unnecessary acroyms for $500. Computer Janitor? Callous Jerk? Cryptic Junkie?

If it's GPT, Windows uses the GPT GUID, I think. But the drive signature also would have changed (which Windows hasn't liked since Vista, when ntldr died and bcd came in). No comment about whether an EFI partition exists, which could make all of this easier (from an EFI shell)

Phone posted:

8/8.1 is basically 7, improved, especially with boot to desktop back in 8.1 if you hate the metro thing. It is better in every single way technically. Whatever boot problems you're having right now (bad signature, bcd issues, etc) would also have been there on 7.

But again, wrong thread and not enough info anyway

Phone posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: people who insist that old operating systems are somehow better than new operating systems. This was only true for a brief window in Vista (basically at the start, because the windows driver model changed and a bunch of vendors decided they didn't want to re-do them, so you couldn't re-use your old drivers, and because nVidia/ATI wrote terrible drivers that crashed constantly and gave everyone a bad experience).

Vista->7->8->8.1->10 has been a linear improvement in terms of functionality, features, stability, and resource usage. Vista (at release) was arguably better than XP at release. Vista at SP2 was better than XP at SP2.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Weatherman posted:

This is pissing me off. Why are these updates not found when I'm building the reference image? I check the ZTIWindowsUpdate log and sure enough, it's not picking up any updates at all for Office 2013, but then when the WIM gets loaded onto the desktop, all of a sudden Office 2013 is visible? How does this even work?

Is it possible that there WSUS server is configured to install optional updates as well and your task sequence just does the critical, severe, important.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Macrium worked. Yay. Protip: don't use lovely/weird cloning programs.

Windows 8 at launch was not better than Windows 7 SP1. The additional Powershell functionality was nice and much appreciated; however, it abstracted a lot of stuff that didn't need to be abstracted and made the Start Menu a lot less useable if you typed anything that wasn't a user installed program (i.e. - getting into Computer Management took way more keystrokes to get into versus typing in "computer man"+Enter in 7). I know that 8.1 fixed a lot of power users' complaints, but I only have passing experience with it; I spent way more time with the Win 8 betas and RCs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Phone posted:

Macrium worked. Yay. Protip: don't use lovely/weird cloning programs.

Windows 8 at launch was not better than Windows 7 SP1.

The additional Powershell functionality was nice and much appreciated; however, it abstracted a lot of stuff that didn't need to be abstracted and made the Start Menu a lot less useable if you typed anything that wasn't a user installed program (i.e. - getting into Computer Management took way more keystrokes to get into versus typing in "computer man"+Enter in 7). I know that 8.1 fixed a lot of power users' complaints, but I only have passing experience with it; I spent way more time with the Win 8 betas and RCs.
It also added Hyper-V, moved ISO mounting out of a powertoy, added support for Live hosted profiles, has vastly improved boot time and memory usage, and...

Interface complaints are valid, and people may find the usability of 7 better, but I was talking about system-level stuff (like EFI, kernel, core features).

I'd also argue that "power users" usually know just enough to get themselves into trouble, and making life for them as difficult as possible is probably for the best.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
"Power user" is a term that once meant something and now is used by anyone who knows how to type a program name into the start menu to find it to mean "look at me I'm a power user :smug:".

e: Oh hey, Chrome 42 disables NPAPI on Windows. Everyone get ready for tickets to come in about Java not working.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 18, 2015

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Had one of the users in the admin suite (not a c-level, just a coordinator) say she was a "power user, you know, I like to get the most out of my computer" while I was discussing upgrading her to Windows 7. I never had someone use that unironically in front of me before.

She's also one of the few users who was happy with her XP to Win7 conversion so I try not to think too badly of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kazinsal posted:

"Power user" is a term that once meant something and now is used by anyone who knows how to type a program name into the start menu to find it to mean "look at me I'm a power user :smug:".

e: Oh hey, Chrome 42 disables NPAPI on Windows. Everyone get ready for tickets to come in about Java not working.

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi (and there's GPOs you can set to re-enable it https://www.chromium.org/developers/npapi-deprecation?pli=1).

But apparently Chrome 45 which will be in September disables it permanently no backsies.

edit: and reading that page, it really sounds like Google was pretty upfront about this happening and created a nice relaxed schedule for it, and as usual everyone else was like yeah yeah we'll update it later no biggie right? Adobe I'm loving looking at you. (Client uses a site that has some hosed up links to PDFs that will only open in the Adobe plugin, so hopefully Adobe updates their poo poo before September or the client will be going back to Firefox or worse, IE. I mean, possibly Spartan at that point, but who knows if the Adobe plugins will even work with Spartan before 2018).

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 18, 2015