Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Michael Scott posted:

I don't think this has been true of BT technology for a few years? Sounds the same to me and I have a hard time believing that you could tell the difference between bluetooth vs. directly wired in a blind test.

Yeah, the bluetooth in my 2012 Jetta with /!\FENDER AUDIO/!\ sounds like dogshit. I listened to podcasts through it for a while, which was fine, but when I switched to music it sounded reallllly bad. I could actually A/B test it through a flash drive with the exact same file as was on my phone plugged into the interface in the glovebox. Night and day, and I am nowhere near an audiophile nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Froist posted:

Speaking of poking nests, what does the iPhone Thread make of the fact that Apple Store employees now have a machine to apply screen protectors for you?

*backs away*

quote:

macintologist
7 hours ago at 06:33 am
I hate ugly screen protectors and SJ would never have allowed this.

Oh no! Screen protectors! :kingsley:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Froist posted:

Speaking of poking nests, what does the iPhone Thread make of the fact that Apple Store employees now have a machine to apply screen protectors for you?

*backs away*

I just get happier and happier I no longer work there.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lately I've been noticing that my 5s has been getting down to about 10% battery and then it immediately jumps down to about 1-2%.

I don't mind the reduced battery life, it's to be expected after all these years, it's just annoying to not be able to (somewhat) accurately gauge how much longer the phone will last.

Is "calibrating the battery" an actual thing like this article claims, or is it just snake-oil?

http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/calibrate-iphone-battery/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

When iPhone batteries degrade, they basically illicit the behaviour you're seeing there. It's just old. For whatever reason, the battery indicator isn't coded to factor this in and you just get to a point where there's less left than there's meant to be.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm just talking out of my rear end kinda but also from my experience with lithium cells. They'll charge to usually something like 4.2 volts and then depending on your draw and depending on their age, how long they discharge varies (which is 'battery life'), and how low they discharge to varies too. Normally a lithium cell will go to like 3.3V before most things will say, "it's discharged" and power off, to avoid damaging themselves and the cell. In general the batteries can discharge much lower ... but don't do that. You'll wreck the cell at best.

The charging hardware in iPhones, in Macs, monitors this. If it thinks your battery/collection of cells can only get to 3.4V before not being able to handle an idle draw, it's going to make that the 0% and you'll actually get the device shutting off before the battery is fully discharged.

Yes, if you can trick the controller into 'recalibrating' if you're sure your battery isn't as bad as you're experiencing it to be, that's a good thing to do.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Anyhow, if you have to do that, it usually means your battery is old and poo poo and you're begging the controller to let you discharge it deeper, it's easier to just get a new battery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just be glad you didn't have the 5 (think it was that model) like I did that had a faulty battery that took them forever to realise a replacement program needed to be set up. It could drop from 50% to 0%. It then might turn on and work fine again for a while after some rest, or maybe not.

I accidentally went in to the store, with an appointment outlining the issue I had and that it was confirmed by serial number to be eligible, just for the smirking genius to refuse to do the repair because I didn't realise the program hadn't started until the next day. Said I could get it done but he'd 'have' to charge me £100. God, a store visit was really painful for some time, they seem to have picked back up again since Browett got the boot at least.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just be glad you didn't have the 5 (think it was that model) like I did that had a faulty battery that took them forever to realise a replacement program needed to be set up. It could drop from 50% to 0%. It then might turn on and work fine again for a while after some rest, or maybe not.

I accidentally went in to the store, with an appointment outlining the issue I had and that it was confirmed by serial number to be eligible, just for the smirking genius to refuse to do the repair because I didn't realise the program hadn't started until the next day. Said I could get it done but he'd 'have' to charge me £100. God, a store visit was really painful for some time, they seem to have picked back up again since Browett got the boot at least.

At least it wasn't a third party store (the only one within an hour of me.) The tech somehow managed to cause my lock button to trigger the home button instead of locking the phone, then comes out and said "did it do this before??? :downs:"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if that repair was done by The Simpsons' Dr Nick.

My friend worked for an Apple Authorised place that had to deal with a MacBook that had been 'repaired' by a generic Windows repair place who realised they were in over their heads so took it to him. The repair did about 10x the damage that it was taken in with, the case looked like it had had a hammer taken to it. I'm not really sure what they thought could be done, a new laptop would've been cheaper at that point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder if that repair was done by The Simpsons' Dr Nick.

My friend worked for an Apple Authorised place that had to deal with a MacBook that had been 'repaired' by a generic Windows repair place who realised they were in over their heads so took it to him. The repair did about 10x the damage that it was taken in with, the case looked like it had had a hammer taken to it. I'm not really sure what they thought could be done, a new laptop would've been cheaper at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWhYlhfWCI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The plot thickens!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a 5 that does this too but its serial number isn't in the repair programme. :smith:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Khablam posted:

When iPhone batteries degrade, they basically illicit the behaviour you're seeing there. It's just old. For whatever reason, the battery indicator isn't coded to factor this in and you just get to a point where there's less left than there's meant to be.

Easy there, it can be frustrating but it's not illegal.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

Easy there, it can be frustrating but it's not illegal.

if you can except the problem it's easy enough to live with, maybe someone can give you advise on fixing it, it's a discreet component that can be repaired discretely at a repair shop in chinatown, a lot of people get their phones fixed their.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pivo posted:

if you can except the problem it's easy enough to live with, maybe someone can give you advise on fixing it, it's a discreet component that can be repaired discretely at a repair shop in chinatown, a lot of people get their phones fixed their.

Woosh

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stair long enough at the woosh, and the woosh stairs back at you.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

does it have stares in its house

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Can we please not post jokes on the forums section of a comedy website, thank you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

there's nothing funny about screen protectors

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
every time you apply a screen protector, a kitten dies

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have literally never once used a screen protector and I can't fathom that I ever will.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I use a screen protector on my GoPro because it's main purpose is good quality optics through an exposed lens that I often send skidding down a mountain face.

Just keep your coins/keys in a different pocket to your phone and stop worrying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No screen protector here but I am getting the feeling that my 6s is developing faint scratches faster than my old 5 did. Four months in and I can already spot a few in certain lighting.

My usage hasn't changed at all, so either I'm paying more attention or something's up.

So now I'm at least a little sympathetic towards screen protector users.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Reminder; Do not use a screen protector. Do use a Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Reminder; Do not use a screen protector. Do use an Apple Brown Leather Case.

This is good advice.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Reminder; Do not use a screen protector. Do use a Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case.

Is an Apple Black Leather Case acceptable?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

New thread title

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I had a screen protector free with the purchase of a case (anker tempered glass) and last week my nephew managed to drop my phone face down on flint gravel. The protector got properly gouged, but stopped all but a small 2mm scratch from happening to the iPhone screen.

It paid for itself~

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

e.pilot posted:

New thread title

Ideally for a separate thread dedicated to cases and screen protectors.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuuuck my goon-approved Saddle Brown(tm) Apple (tm) Leather Case has begun with the bubbling on the sides, pretty much where I grip the phone. I can only assume it's due to moisture, and/or using the phone with slightly damp hands. This happened to my iPhone 6 black leather case, too. It's not so bad right now, but I know where it goes from here -- the bumps spread, it gets kinda uncomfortable to hold. I guess I'll be switching to the silicone case. I tried going caseless yesterday and it's not gonna work.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My case did that as well, but Apple replaced it for free sans appointment.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Case cellulite is the reason I got rid of my black leather case. It just felt foul to the touch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LODGE NORTH posted:

My case did that as well, but Apple replaced it for free sans appointment.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I tried to see if they'd replace my black leather case, but since I didn't have my receipt (and didn't buy it at an Apple store,) they couldn't honor the warranty. This one I did buy at an Apple store, though, so I'll probably wait another month or so for it to get really bad and then see if they'll swap it for a silicone case.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

I had a screen protector free with the purchase of a case (anker tempered glass) and last week my nephew managed to drop my phone face down on flint gravel. The protector got properly gouged, but stopped all but a small 2mm scratch from happening to the iPhone screen.

It paid for itself~

^^^ Used a screen protector, screen still got scratched.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Without a screen protector, this would have a been a valuable lesson for your idiot nephew in being careful of other people's electronics when you force him to replace it at full retail value.

Also, pro tip: don't trust any other human being with your phone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also, pro tip: don't trust any other human being with your phone.

literally about to post this

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If someone really needs to use my phone i hold the phone while they dial and they have to use my ear buds to hear/speak.

No I'm not going to let you hold my $1,200 fragile electronic device which you will steal/ruin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I let kids hold and use my phone all the time because I'm not some kind of cartoon phone Scrooge. One dropped it once and the phone was fine and the kid was ridiculously contrite. Use your phone for your life, don't live for your phone. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get applecare+ and tell them to hand you $80 for the screen replacement.

It's not like the phone is a religious artifact, it's okay to let people touch it.