Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Season 12 was the last DVD set I bought (and ripped them all to Kodi). I do like the part at the end where he's trying to get away from the law and Arnie in the sky narrating his pathetic escape attempts.

KENT: Arnie, Arnie, how are the children?
ARNIE: I can't see through metal, Kent.

Arnie's delivery is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is that the one with "I'll mace you good!"? That stands out to me as a :rolleyes: moment for some reason.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

IUG posted:

Season 12 was the last DVD set I bought (and ripped them all to Kodi). I do like the part at the end where he's trying to get away from the law and Arnie in the sky narrating his pathetic escape attempts.

KENT: Arnie, Arnie, how are the children?
ARNIE: I can't see through metal, Kent.

Arnie's delivery is great.

It’s hard to believe that terrible bellwether episode had this great bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BkT7gBlwcE

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is that the one with "I'll mace you good!"? That stands out to me as a :rolleyes: moment for some reason.

Yesssss, that definitely sticks out as a "what are we watching?" Moment

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Mr Interweb posted:

referencing WWII wouldn't work as a joke cause that's kind of exactly what happened

yes, that is the joke

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You can go to SNPP and look up the original fan transcript from 1994 and there's no civil war there. Try asking on /r/MandelaEffect/

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Hakkesshu posted:

Try asking on /r/MandelaEffect/

https://i.imgur.com/XylQ6f5.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't there used to be a reference to a war in this episode?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/iFKvoyK.mp4

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I watched 2 episodes of the Simpsons reruns (5 and 10pm) every day for 10 years it's always been WWII

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
DAS IST NOT EINE BOOBY!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Actually, the only joke I can think of being changed after the first run is the "unfortunate bout of tourettes/rabies" one from Marge Gets a Job. There are probably loads more though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
They changed that one joke about homer stealing an Oscar because it inadvertently read as homer murdering a man for it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Actually, the only joke I can think of being changed after the first run is the "unfortunate bout of tourettes/rabies" one from Marge Gets a Job. There are probably loads more though.

the one that really hosed with me is "blast a dookie" snowboard slang joke that got changed to "blast a leakie" in reruns.

I don't know why that line stuck in my head, other than that I was surprised to hear the word on network TV even by then

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Empty Sandwich posted:

the one that really hosed with me is "blast a dookie" snowboard slang joke that got changed to "blast a leakie" in reruns.

I don't know why that line stuck in my head, other than that I was surprised to hear the word on network TV even by then

always was dookie in every rerun I ever saw.
Say it in snowboard!
I gotta blast a dookie.
DOOK ON!

did they change it to "leak on"?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Greg12 posted:

always was dookie in every rerun I ever saw.
Say it in snowboard!
I gotta blast a dookie.
DOOK ON!

did they change it to "leak on"?

yes, as I recall. these were the syndicated reruns... maybe it was by market?

I'm finding no reference to this online, so maybe I'm full of poo poo. and/or piss.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hedgehog Pie posted:

There's also the line "The Catholic Church: We've made a few...changes" in Sunday Cruddy Sunday where they dropped the word Catholic after complaints from the Catholic League. I haven't heard of them in years but they were a bunch of media watchdog nutjobs that raised a stink about a bunch of poo poo around that time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm finding no reference to this online, so maybe I'm full of poo poo. and/or piss.

At first, I was just full of piss!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

yes, as I recall. these were the syndicated reruns... maybe it was by market?

Bart I’m dook.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New season of Disenchantment is out, and it's worse than ever. Seems like they completely forgot to write jokes this time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

https://youtu.be/QEfL52XS1eg

They had one rear end they could use. In the first airing, Bart says rear end, in all other airings, Mr. Burns says rear end.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

PostNouveau posted:

New season of Disenchantment is out, and it's worse than ever. Seems like they completely forgot to write jokes this time.

Ooh gotta catch it. I'm a bit of a masochist. It's bad in completely unexpected ways.

Like go watch any episode in the first half of the first season and try convincing me they didn't just forget background sound and music was a thing you had to hire people to do

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It’s fine

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

This feels like a problem in a lot of modern comedy. You make a joke, and then instead of being contented that you made a joke, you have to mine that fucker. So maybe you add in an extraneous explanatory line, maybe you go and illustrate the joke.

Jon Oliver used to do this all the time. He still might, but once somebody pointed it out, it stood out like a sore thumb, and I can't watch him anymore without screaming "you already told the joke! You can stop it!"

It's also surprising. These episodes run like 18-19 minutes now, when you subtract the credits. So wasted lines like these serve no purpose.

The other side of it is that a lot of modern comedy settles for being clever instead of funny. Ken Levine recently wrote about these things, calling them "like a joke," things that sound and look like jokes and aren't actually jokes.

This is a guy who wrote for M*A*S*H, Cheers, Frasier, Wings, Mary Tyler Moore's show from the mid-80s, AfterM*A*S*H (which he turned down an opportunity to write for the Cosby Show for, a decision he never regretted and has only ever felt better about as time went on), and... two episodes of the Simpsons - Dancing Homer, and Saturdays of Thunder.

So yeah, I think he knows his stuff.

It's very apparent in the Anchorman movies that every line is either a joke or Ron Burgandy explaining that the movie just made a joke.

It probably had a big influence on comedy too.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole mental illness plot is going to tie into the little antenna on the kings crown and it's gonna suck.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the “explain the joke” thing is the modern equivalent of the laugh track. Perhaps people subconsciously think a show is funnier if it makes them aware of all the jokes even if they didn’t catch them or laugh?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I wonder if the “explain the joke” thing is the modern equivalent of the laugh track. Perhaps people subconsciously think a show is funnier if it makes them aware of all the jokes even if they didn’t catch them or laugh?

That really would explain a lot. More that the writers assume the audience won't understand something is meant to be a joke unless they're told it is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That really would explain a lot. More that the writers assume the audience won't understand something is meant to be a joke unless they're told it is.

I mean in fairness, this is because the vast vast vast majority don't. Like I'm always seeing threads on reddit or buzzfeed articles or whatever trash, talking about 'jokes you might have missed' and it's just literally anything that isn't front and center the plot of an episode. And, you know, you expect that to just be clickbait, but, no the entire thread or comments section is people reacting with surprise.

MOST people are pretty dumb.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There are some people who count jokes. I saw some guy on YouTube compare the number of jokes in shows with laugh tracks versus those without laugh tracks. And basically, his thesis seemed to be that more jokes is funnier.

And this isn't isolated. I've heard people talk about the pace that jokes come. Even Super Eyepatch Wolf does that on his video about the Simpsons.

So if you think you need to add more jokes, what's the best way to do that? Why, just add in a smart remark.

But shouldn't your smart remarks actually be intelligent?

It's a quick substitute for doing hard work. Comedy is tough.

Sure, maybe Frasier has fewer jokes per minute than the Office, but think about how more of the jokes land harder than the ones on the Office.

So yeah, if you count jokes, this is an easy way to make your show funnier. The more jokes you throw at the script, the more likely someone is to laugh.

A great example is from the first season - The Call of the Simpsons. Maggie is upset, and so to calm her down, Lisa says "look Maggie, birdies!" And it's a shot of vultures. And that's it. No comments. Nobody saying "aren't those vultures?"

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of scripts being produced today where if you cut out half the jokes, you would end up with a funnier show.

As evidence, I submit the first Netflix season of MST3K and compare it with the second season. In the first season, the jokes were so rapid fire, it really ruined the pacing. Even if the individual jokes were funnier, the delivery fell flat on its face. Season 2 slowed down the pace, and so the jokes had room to breathe and we're funnier.

So tl;dr - don't count jokes.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 19, 2021

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cemetry Gator posted:

There are some people who count jokes. I saw some guy on YouTube compare the number of jokes in shows with laugh tracks versus those without laugh tracks. And basically, his thesis seemed to be that more jokes is funnier.

And this isn't isolated. I've heard people talk about the pace that jokes come. Even Super Eyepatch Wolf does that on his video about the Simpsons.

So if you think you need to add more jokes, what's the best way to do that? Why, just add in a smart remark.

But shouldn't your smart remarks actually be intelligent?

It's a quick substitute for doing hard work. Comedy is tough.

Sure, maybe Frasier has fewer jokes per minute than the Office, but think about how more of the jokes land harder than the ones on the Office.

So yeah, if you count jokes, this is an easy way to make your show funnier. The more jokes you throw at the script, the more likely someone is to laugh.

A great example is from the first season - The Call of the Simpsons. Maggie is upset, and so to calm her down, Lisa says "look Maggie, birdies!" And it's a shot of vultures. And that's it. No comments. Nobody saying "aren't those vultures?"

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of scripts being produced today where if you cut out half the jokes, you would end up with a funnier show.

As evidence, I submit the first Netflix season of MST3K and compare it with the second season. In the first season, the jokes were so rapid fire, it really ruined the pacing. Even if the individual jokes were funnier, the delivery fell flat on its face. Season 2 slowed down the pace, and so the jokes had room to breathe and we're funnier.

So tl;dr - don't count jokes.

I get what you are trying to say here. And I agree that more jokes just for the sake of more jokes isn't ideal. But, part of why golden age Simpsons was so good was because not only were the jokes really good, but there were so many of them. The jokes per minute in season 3-8 Simpsons is usually pretty high. But when every joke is landing perfectly, this is less of an issue. And when every joke is its own joke, rather than a reaction to another joke, it's also less noticeable. The real issue is that the jokes are playing out the same jokes, bad or good, for longer, rather than moving on from them like they should. It's all just a byproduct of their general creative bankruptcy.

I do agree that at the very least if they cut out the reactions the show would be less patronizing. And given the difficulty that the current Simpsons writers have making any decent jokes at all, maybe they should slow down the pace a bit.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I wonder if there'll ever be another prime-time show that does "nerd humor" — by which I mean like actual math/science jokes — as well as Futurama did. Seems like a market that might have dried up and/or turned to anime and 80s nostalgia rather than STEM one-liners like "No fair! You changed the outcome by observing it!"

Or the random number generator in the execution chamber

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have heard it said that Futurama might be the best visual adaptation spiritually of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

We're caning our way through Future Man on Prime at the moment. If you are looking for something like the two quoted posters above, I thoroughly recommend it. The cast is great and the ridiculousness level is jammed up to 100. It's almost like a live action Futurama - down to a purple haired rear end- kicking heroine and a loser type everyman.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

!Klams posted:

I mean in fairness, this is because the vast vast vast majority don't. Like I'm always seeing threads on reddit or buzzfeed articles or whatever trash, talking about 'jokes you might have missed' and it's just literally anything that isn't front and center the plot of an episode. And, you know, you expect that to just be clickbait, but, no the entire thread or comments section is people reacting with surprise.

MOST people are pretty dumb.

Understanding jokes is NOT where this thread is a viking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sweet geek swag posted:

I get what you are trying to say here. And I agree that more jokes just for the sake of more jokes isn't ideal. But, part of why golden age Simpsons was so good was because not only were the jokes really good, but there were so many of them. The jokes per minute in season 3-8 Simpsons is usually pretty high. But when every joke is landing perfectly, this is less of an issue. And when every joke is its own joke, rather than a reaction to another joke, it's also less noticeable. The real issue is that the jokes are playing out the same jokes, bad or good, for longer, rather than moving on from them like they should. It's all just a byproduct of their general creative bankruptcy.

I do agree that at the very least if they cut out the reactions the show would be less patronizing. And given the difficulty that the current Simpsons writers have making any decent jokes at all, maybe they should slow down the pace a bit.

Similarly, I get the use of MST3K as an illustration, but I kinda think the bigger issue with Netflix S1 wasn't so much the number of jokes as the pacing. They forgot that the riffs were supposed to be reactions to what's going on on the screen, which means there needs to be a plausible beat between the thing happening in the movie and the start of the riff reacting to it, to maintain the fiction that the audience has thought of the joke spontaneously right then. Otherwise, if they launch the riff too early, it sounds like it was scripted.

Going back to the original MST3Ks there are huge stretches with no riffs at all, but the ones they have land a lot better, and they're timed more plausibly, so the overall effect is a lot more satisfying.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Understanding jokes is NOT where this thread is a viking.

At least this thread believes in Death of the Comedian rather than just flat out missing jokes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
You need to listen to the jokes they AREN'T telling to really get it, man

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there are a bunch of background jokes that don't even get mentioned. they're just quietly there, in the corner.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

brugroffil posted:

You need to listen to the jokes they AREN'T telling to really get it, man

I can do that with Seasons 10-32.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about noting that there's a large number of jokes that are landing. But it's a fine line between noting that, and thinking that having a high number of jokes makes for a better comedy.

And if we're talking about joke counting, how many great moments were them escalating and building up from the moments before. Take Steamed Hams - "no mother, that's just the northern lights." Right, great joke. But that's because it's a successful escalation of a joke earlier.

It's not just them throwing jokes at the wall, but building and building on jokes before. There's an actual pay off to the moments versus someone just being snarky.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nearly every single line in Last Exit is a great joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

brugroffil posted:

Nearly every single line in Last Exit is a great joke

There's something to be said for the joke delivery being just at the right rate for someone who's paying reasonable attention to absorb them all. A show like, say, Archer, or like, Big Mouth, lays them on so thick and fast that literally not a single word is not some kind of intricately twisted wordplay that you'd better have the subtitles on and be glued to the screen to have a hope of not just being washed away by it.

It's really impressive and fun if you're into that sort of experience, but a thing like Last Exit just keeps the burn going at a pretty optimal temperature for maximum audience participation

e: which is important for like when I watched it with my grandma when it was airing brand-new and she didn't laugh once at the whole thing but then when Lisa said "and that's the tooth" and they all broke out laughing she did too and stood up to leave thinking that was a super great joke to end on, and totally missed the "oops I left the gas on" bit :argh:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 19, 2021