Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

aljazeera the channels themselves are dead silent on the topic, as if nothings happening.

anybody have ajz to verify? this is bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hollismason posted:

Wait did someone from Qatar touch the orb?

The Orberlords in the famous photo were Trump, the Saudi king and the President of Egypt. A Qatari magus may have touched it later, this cannot be known.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

stone cold posted:

It's on their Arabic website. It's almost 7 am there now so theoretically it should be in their morning news.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stone cold posted:

Its on their english site right at the top of the page

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/saudi-arabia-uae-egypt-bahrain-cut-ties-qatar-170605031700062.html

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Raylen posted:

The US, the UK, and the Turkish military have bases in Qatar. There's a ton of foreign military bases all over the Arabian Peninsula too. Unless those forces are moved in the next few days or weeks, I doubt anything is going to happen beyond posturing from the Sauds and their allies.

Alternatively, we could have KSA/Bahrain/UAE say "gently caress it" and go in and accidentally blow up CENTCOM and then oh boy will that be fun!

:ohdear:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
What would happen if we lost Al Jazeera? There isn't an equivalent for news in the region. Come to think of it, there isn't an equivalent globally.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

What would happen if we lost Al Jazeera? There isn't an equivalent for news in the region. Come to think of it, there isn't an equivalent globally.

Could there be any ulterior motive here? Things AJ reports on that the countries itching for war don't want reported on?

Or is that likely just a coincidence?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

I get that logic, but none of the states in the Middle East are nuclear (except Israel, which I seriously doubt is going to do anything except sit back and lol as these countries invade each other)

US CENTCOM is in Qatar. If KSA/Bahrain/UAE go in guns blazing and we don't move CENTCOM there's a pretty good chance they get hit and now we have the KSA actually killing US citizens/servicemembers instead of just looking the other way while their nationals fly planes into buildings. It would be an enormous crisis.

Since I have 0 faith in the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to not enormously cock it up I'd like to avoid things getting to the point where he has to make any kind of decision.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Could there be any ulterior motive here? Things AJ reports on that the countries itching for war don't want reported on?

Eh, I mean relations have been pretty bad among all 5 states for a while (Egypt doesn't count as it'll just do what KSA says to do), but there's bad and then there's this.

If we see a story this week about the fleet in Bahrain going out on maneuvers or CENTCOM "temporarily" moving somewhere else then poo poo is about to go down.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

f#a# posted:

dear trump thread, i made a move across country to seattle half a week ago and haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread's derails and trump's wacky hijinks, what have i missed besides his tweets without any further context

theres gonna be another war in the persian gulf.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Al Jazeera is a state funded news organization . I've never understood why people went crazy over how good it was when it was obvious that they manipulate news like any other news organization that is state funded.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Night10194 posted:

I kinda got to say, much as I lust for Donald going down in flames, I'm not really hype for watching entire communities get devastated like Katrina did to New Orleans.
After some thought on this I've decided I could go for seeing communities get devastated as long as they're rich. McMansions flattened, mortgages literally underwater. "We've lost everything," people will say, weeping into handfuls of hundred-dollar bills. "The main house, the guest house, the boathouse, the poolhouse, the butler's mansion. We evacuated so fast we had to rent a car and the rental company allows only me and my wife to drive it. How can we explain the concept of chauffeurlessness to our children?" Luxury hotels full of people who had to go to Target to buy bathing suits for the pool and hot tub and were deeply upset by the lack of staffed fitting rooms and the huge plastic containers of cheese curls.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

axeil posted:

US CENTCOM is in Qatar. If KSA/Bahrain/UAE go in guns blazing and we don't move CENTCOM there's a pretty good chance they get hit and now we have the KSA actually killing US citizens/servicemembers instead of just looking the other way while their nationals fly planes into buildings. It would be an enormous crisis.

Since I have 0 faith in the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to not enormously cock it up I'd like to avoid things getting to the point where he has to make any kind of decision.

So could that give us an excuse to finally go into some of these countries? Saudi Arabia for example pretty much did 9/11... maybe it'll take them literally strafing US troops for us to not take their poo poo anymore.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

im talkin bout the tv though

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

maskenfreiheit posted:

There's probably a dozen ulterior motives here, heh. AZJ themselves are at least hinting that Israel is behind it all, although what Israel would have to gain from harming one of the slightly more progressive Arab nations I have no idea :shrug:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Al Jazeera is a state funded news organization . I've never understood why people went crazy over how good it was when it was obvious that they manipulate news like any other news organization that is state funded.

Probably because in the Iraq War era they were pretty much the only news organization calling bullshit.

maskenfreiheit posted:

So could that give us an excuse to finally go into some of these countries? Saudi Arabia for example pretty much did 9/11... maybe it'll take them literally strafing US troops for us to not take their poo poo anymore.

Israel sunk a US warship and there's evidence it may have been on purpose in an attempt to draw the US into the Six Days War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident). If that doesn't get us to tell Israel to gently caress off, I'm not sure a stray mortar would get us to anything with KSA.

Of course, Trump is President so by the Rule of Trump he'll do whatever the dumbest outcome is.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 5, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

stone cold posted:

You can livestream AJE for free on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJtWREOXHA

Or the app lets you stream audio/video as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So how badly is this going to be a cock up on our part.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Reminder

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/306990-trump-appeared-to-register-eight-companies-in-saudi-arabia

We're gonna do whatever the Saudis want, make no mistake. They'll just move centcom somewhere else.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hollismason posted:

So how badly is this going to be a cock up on our part.

axeil posted:

By the Rule of Trump he'll do whatever the dumbest outcome is.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

axeil posted:

Probably because in the Iraq War era they were pretty much the only news organization calling bullshit.

Israel sunk a US warship and there's evidence it may have been on purpose in an attempt to draw the US into the Six Days War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident). If that doesn't get us to tell Israel to gently caress off, I'm not sure a stray mortar would get us to anything with KSA.

Of course, Trump is President so by the Rule of Trump he'll do whatever the dumbest outcome is.

ksa basically did 9/11 and we didn't do anything

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

stone cold posted:

im talkin bout the tv though

I'm listening to the Arabic live steam which, since I don't understand arabic, is a bit of a crap shoot. but they opened the hour with extended graphics talking about Bahrain and then went to a correspondent in Kuwait. I'm guessing they're leading with it but again, can't swear to it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

Qatar
Trump has stakes in four companies that appear to be tied in business in the desert nation. The country’s state-owned carrier, Qatar Airways, has leased an office in Manhattan’s Trump Tower since 2008. Ivanka Trump told Hotelier Middle East in 2015 that the Trump Hotel Collection was eyeing opportunities in Qatar

Welp

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:toot: Only Trump could violently depose the Saudi monarchy!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This guy knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9eEzTqAQk

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ok now you've gone beyond disingenuous Devil's Advocate shittiness into undeniable trolling.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

axeil posted:

it's insanely misogynistic, racist and loves bullying others even as they claim to be victims of bullies their whole life. In short, they are 20something Republican voters who don't realize it yet.

I was actually thinking about gamers and the stereotype of them being bullied, but honestly, I thought long and hard, and I honestly can't think of any time in my life where I was bullied for playing video games. Mind you, I got bullied for a thousand other different reasons (skinny, nerdy, having a big nose, etc.), but never for liking games.

edit: oh I see we're talking about Middle East shenanigans now. :smith:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 5, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I want to emphasize again that the State Department is massively understaffed and it is pretty much demonstrated that the ability to get someone to Trump to argue your position is the key element to White House policy. Close connection between Kushner/Saudis and the ceremonial blow job they gave Trump suggest Trump will be very favorable to their pov.

theoretically that could also be used as a back channel to make sure Saudis stay clam.

The current Ambassador to Saudi Arabia is the temp. There is an Ambassador to Qatar but they're a careerist who wont have the ear of Trump, and may not be able to communicate effectively through the State department. And because this is 20 loving 17 may be ignored anyways because they were critical of Trump in a tweet.

farraday fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 5, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Maybe they will all kill each other!

:bisonyes:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Didn't we sell them 100bn in weapons recently?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He's got 8 companies in Saudi, 4 in Qatar.

Qatar's gonna get hosed but he might be sad about it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Ok now you've gone beyond disingenuous Devil's Advocate shittiness into undeniable trolling.

Do you want to actually raise some counter points rather than just swear and yell "TROLL"?

And I seriously, seriously doubt these countries would be stupid enough to do something like blowup CENTCOM. When countries like KSA attack the US, they like to have at least a thin veneer of plausible deniability.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Mustached Demon posted:

Didn't we sell them 100bn in weapons recently?

I mean yeah, $110 billion:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/20/us-saudi-arabia-seal-weapons-deal-worth-nearly-110-billion-as-trump-begins-visit.html

Must just be some kind of crazy coincidence I guess.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Night10194 posted:

He's got 8 companies in Saudi, 4 in Qatar.

Qatar's gonna get hosed but he might be sad about it.

I bet Putin did not expect that Saudi Arabia would literally just buy Trump out from under his nose :mmmhmm:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

On the other hand there was the time like a year ago when Wizards of the Coast handed out a lifetime ban to a convicted rapist who was starting to become a known pro Magic player, and the community had a shitfit.

A goodly amount of that shitfit was because the whole thing reeked of a really dumb and hamhanded attempt at a PR move rather than (given that a convicted drug dealer who'd seen the key witness against him die while he was awaiting trial was a-ok in their hall of fame, for example) any attempt at policing the community or something.

e: I should clarify, a goodly amount of that shitfit was because there are a lot of crapheads in the magic community too. But there was ample reason to look at the whole set of events and think something was a little off.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 5, 2017

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/01/whats-going-on-with-qatar/?utm_term=.a9d035264516

Partial explanation here. Based on timing this might be partly a product of Trump's visit to SA.

God drat it, they told him not to 'bad touch' the Orb but he couldn't loving keep his hands to himself. This is all just the beginning. You don't sexually assault the Orb without long term consequences you loving moron!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

maskenfreiheit posted:

thanks but why is a war bad?

Greetings Mr Sealion, why are you so curious about why war is bad?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

What's Evergreen College and why to conservatives and Joe Rogan want to use it suddenly to say college is bad

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

Greetings Mr Sealion, why are you so curious about why war is bad?

I literally explained my logic on the last page:

maskenfreiheit posted:

i'm genuinely confused why the toppling of a slave owning petrostate that bankrolls terrorism is a bad thing. do we have bases there or something that means they are the good kind of bad guys?

i was under the impression that we're not totally anti-war here so i'm confused why this one would be bad

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

maskenfreiheit posted:

wow, that's pretty rude. if you'd like to have a discussion i'm happy to, it's pretty telling that a series of polite questions is eliciting such a hostile response

I'm surprised to see reasonablehitler.jpg play out for real, but here we are. "Why is thousands of innocent people dying bad? They're just slaves of terrible people anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Schizotek posted:

I grew up near this mountain. Hobe Mountain is an ancient and massive sand dune, rising a majestic 86 feet above sea level on the coast of Jupiter/Tequesta. I once saw a deer fight a dog for a pizza crust near there. *nature*
Pretty poo poo surfing, though the heights are pretty awe-inspiring, especially to us Northeasterners from Vero.

• Locked thread