Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
nostalgia is a hell of a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

it breaks eventually sadly, after a few minutes you'll need to reload the page. i was 200k behind in my open tab lol

gently caress

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
yeh fuckin sesame street should be cancelled, its only on because nostalgia

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

yeh fuckin sesame street should be cancelled, its only on because nostalgia

in before a bunch of idiots take this post seriously

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
bring back those batshit sesame street cartoons from the 70s

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fib posted:

retsupurae have been showcasing some really lovely game kickstarters recently that people itt may enjoy https://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEFM9MOH288

:stare:

what's wrong with this man's head

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Yodzilla posted:

it breaks eventually sadly, after a few minutes you'll need to reload the page. i was 200k behind in my open tab lol

yeah same i left it up for a few hours and someone was like "it's 1/5th of the way there" and i looked at my window and it was at like $68k until i refreshed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

he games credit cards for frequent flyer miles and runs a review blog

etihad obvs doesn't let you use miles on those cabins

miles have cash value. he bought $250k or so worth in tickets to sample all those 1st class cabins. however he did it, there was serious coin involved.

there's no way to "game" miles enough to conjure $100k+ out of thin air

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

miles have cash value. he bought $250k or so worth in tickets to sample all those 1st class cabins. however he did it, there was serious coin involved.

there's no way to "game" miles enough to conjure $100k+ out of thin air

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/02/28/credit-card-reward-points-airline-miles-free/

that article posted:

As he explains in his book "Do More, Spend Less," the scheme was made possible by the U.S. government. The Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005 sought to put dollar coins into circulation by allowing citizens to buy the coins directly from the Mint's website at face value. Shipping was free, and the website accepted credit cards.

So Wilson pulled out his rewards card and bought nearly $3 million in coins.

Not all at once, of course. But over the course of eight months, he would have thousands of dollars in coins delivered at a time, then walk them into the bank and deposit them into his account. Then he would use the money to pay off his credit card bill in full. He was essentially moving money in a circle: putting thousands of dollars in charges at a time on his card, then using the cash he "bought" to pay the bill.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

okay that's pretty clever

even without the reward thing it's a good way of telling credit card companies to get hosed with their cash advance fees

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

stoutfish posted:

nostalgia is a hell of a drug

Thats what I love about Kickstarter. Most of the projects are "remember that thing you liked when you were a kid, well we are making a less good version of it." Pay us $10,000 and then you can have the privilege of paying for an airline ticket, hotel, and meals to fly out here and we'll hang out with you for a few hours and also name a character in-game after you. He'll even kind of look like you!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

reading rainbow is an actual good thing, though. if nostalgia gets it funded, so be it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah thats true, at least its an educational thing instead of a 90s video game remake

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
it's over halfway to a mil, this is like super nostalgia, bolstered by the fact that you are actually funding A Good Thing and not just some video game you'll have forgotten about by the time it comes out from some devs who made a game you liked over a decade ago

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

raise ur paw if u remember watching reading rainbow tapes when it was ur class's turn with the TV cart

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Vicas posted:

what's the fastest a kickstarter ever hit $1m, anyway? i have to assume some game did it in under a day because nerds

just to answer my own question it was the veronica mars movie, lol http://www.statista.com/statistics/254530/fastest-projects-to-reach-1-million-usd-on-kickstarter/

(thanks notstatpedia)

the list of what gets nerds to rip their wallets open at light speed is basically 100% exactly what you'd expect

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Fib posted:

retsupurae have been showcasing some really lovely game kickstarters recently that people itt may enjoy https://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae/videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJXSWfT04M&t=71s:eyepop:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vicas posted:

just to answer my own question it was the veronica mars movie, lol http://www.statista.com/statistics/254530/fastest-projects-to-reach-1-million-usd-on-kickstarter/

(thanks notstatpedia)

the list of what gets nerds to rip their wallets open at light speed is basically 100% exactly what you'd expect

*velcro ripping*

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

japan's nazi fetishization subculture will forever be one of the strangest things to me

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Vicas posted:

it's over halfway to a mil, this is like super nostalgia, bolstered by the fact that you are actually funding A Good Thing and not just some video game you'll have forgotten about by the time it comes out from some devs who made a game you liked over a decade ago

literally this, reading rainbow is one of the greatest shows ever (up there with mr rogers neighborhood)

this should get 100x what star shitizen got, but welp...

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

dont get me started on mr rogers

the best

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
anyway assuming the first wave of donors were to carry on just like it has it would pretty easily beat doublefine adventures to a million and take the 4th spot, but barring insanity we can be almost certain that the ouya will have gotten to a million faster

which is really the most kickstarter thing ever

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Werthog 95 posted:

the best

it just kills me that lovely videogame vaporware makes such a retarded amount of money

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

the best

kickstart a necromancer to resurrect mr rogers

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Proteus4994 posted:

it just kills me that lovely videogame vaporware makes such a retarded amount of money

it's just the ks userbase. on the plus side i think that ks has been getting more and more mainstream in the last year or so, meaning things other than video games may actually make the big bucks

unfortunately those things will be pono

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus4994 posted:

it's not going to make this much but kicktraq™ says it's trending towards $20m and it would be real nice if it made that much money :unsmith:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

anthonypants posted:

it's not going to make this much but kicktraq™ says it's trending towards $20m and it would be real nice if it made that much money :unsmith:

you can't really trust kicktraq until about halfway in tbh, the way kickstarters make money is always lopsided towards the very start and very end

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
that said, $619k

i've never been this excited to pay $50 for a coffee mug

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Vicas posted:

you can't trust kicktraq

Vicas posted:

that said, $619k

same

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Werthog 95 posted:

raise ur paw if u remember watching reading rainbow tapes when it was ur class's turn with the TV cart

i was such a stupid gently caress as a kid i thought all the places he filmed were nearby in my city

i loved every second of that show

and to this day, like most of us here, the TNG behind the scenes blew me away - the sparkles in water effect?

:vince:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vicas posted:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
anime girl hitler's panties are showing

as hosed up as this is it also would be great to take thousands of these back in a time machine and airdrop them over ww2 germany. hitler would be so mad he'd plotz

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Vicas posted:

same.

now somebody bring back Wishbone too.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok i read some of the stories in the kickstarter comments and i upped my pledge

$760k god drat

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yodzilla posted:

bring back those batshit sesame street cartoons from the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im4GwUD1UY8

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

hahahaha this is litearlly the one that quote made me think of

Shifty Pony posted:

same.

now somebody bring back Wishbone too.

wishbone is dead

lavar is just a bit pudgier

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

maybe if she wasnt so busy having a seizure she could do it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
levar aged really well

also gently caress yeah reading rainbow, this is going to be the best coffee mug ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://vimeo.com/6275512

life was simpler then, maybe better. or was it? :techno:

• Locked thread