Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So, how many of you are buying the Korg ARP 2600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Xabi posted:

Interesting that the Korg price is more than a fully assembled TTSH (assuming the $3900 I'm seeing is what it'll actually go for and not just MSRP)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Xabi posted:

Oh Hell no. It's very pretty and will look great in someone's synth cave but I've got no specific attachment.

BTW, if anyone is seriously eyeing it, order it *now*. A rep from one of the Canada-wide music retailers said they're down to two left from their allotment and that's it. They say limited, they mean limited.

I can only imagine the goodwill hit if they come out with a mini-version next year as well, but it sounds like they're planning to make this one it for the full-size.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
So what’s the idea behind limited if it’s selling like hotcakes

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

exclusivity, perceived brand status, product as luxury rather than commodity i'm guessing

so i'm looking for a mono synth for bass that has a built-in sequencer, can store/load more than one sequence, and can store presets. preferably no keyboard, preferably complements the korg prologue, preferably has some quirk that pushes it past moog knockoff, but those aren't dealbreakers. budget is under $500, i'm just looking to take the next step in my plastikman cosplay, any suggestions?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

It may be component availability too.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Pillow Face posted:

exclusivity, perceived brand status, product as luxury rather than commodity i'm guessing

so i'm looking for a mono synth for bass that has a built-in sequencer, can store/load more than one sequence, and can store presets. preferably no keyboard, preferably complements the korg prologue, preferably has some quirk that pushes it past moog knockoff, but those aren't dealbreakers. budget is under $500, i'm just looking to take the next step in my plastikman cosplay, any suggestions?

Bass Station 2

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Laserjet 4P posted:

The price point might be too high to risk having too many of them sitting on the shelves; you really don't want to be sitting there with a bunch of dead stock at that price. Or in a couple years if they release a mini version or otherwise less special version it's not like they saturated the market with the expensive one only to give people a cheaper option later. This way it stays in the realm of still collector factor and less likely to hit the resale value as hard.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pillow Face posted:

Roland SE-02 sounds exactly like that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Or they saw behringer tease doing one and have no interest in going up against a $1299 version.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
korg are at least switching to 3.5mm jacks in their new craft right?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Clavavisage posted:

Bass Station 2

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Roland SE-02 sounds exactly like that.

thanks guys, il check both out. se-02 definitely seems like the one, but my friend has a bass station so i'll try that until i pull a trigger

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm eyeing very closely the Novation Summit. I think it sounds better than the Rev2. I need just one synth to have for a long time and know intimately. All this cool stuff is being released but I hope to not fall in that money pit.

Is it possible to MIDI the Moog Grandmother into Ableton, while still using it's Voice for sound? I want to use the features of midi, primarily quantization to fix my timing.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 11, 2020

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Pillow Face posted:

thanks guys, il check both out. se-02 definitely seems like the one, but my friend has a bass station so i'll try that until i pull a trigger

theres always the tb-03, which has the advantage over all the other boutiques of being larger than the original, so the knobs aint too crowded. its a pretty limited synth but its fun to sequence and its got some weird digital crunch

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pillow Face posted:

Se02 is great. It's basically a minimoog with crossmodulation, feedback, a delay, presets, an excellent sequencer with step parameters and usb interface for midi and sound. Plenty of other bonus in the latest firmwares like PWM. If you can cope with the format it's an excellent synth.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My recent increased interest in modular led me to VCV Rack. Hail Satan. <has no idea how to even make a sound yet>

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

a mysterious cloak posted:

My recent increased interest in modular led me to VCV Rack. Hail Satan. <has no idea how to even make a sound yet>

I want to get into VCV, as a programming project. I think you can write modules in Lua.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

I got a drum machine (Alesis sr18) and now have an itch to add a cheap keyboard. This is my first endeavor into electric music, and I don't know anything. My goal is to have a keyboard that will sync with the Alesis to be played through headphones/bookshelf speakers. If I'm not planning to involve a computer, what sort of hardware requirements would I need? Would something like a Aturia Microbrute be viable?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

rump buttman posted:

I got a drum machine (Alesis sr18) and now have an itch to add a cheap keyboard. This is my first endeavor into electric music, and I don't know anything. My goal is to have a keyboard that will sync with the Alesis to be played through headphones/bookshelf speakers. If I'm not planning to involve a computer, what sort of hardware requirements would I need? Would something like a Aturia Microbrute be viable?

Does it have to be a keyboard, or do you just want something to make sounds with? And what's your budget?

A volca or pocket operator would let you do that, and should sync to your drum machine. They're also both much cheaper than a microbrute.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Sans computer, you need either a sequencer or a synth with a sequencer built in. If you want lots of tracks, like you want to make songs, grooveboxes are what you should be looking into (though that will probably render the drum machine redundant). If you want to turn knobs on a single synth line, something like a Microbrute will work just fine though Mr. Dick recommends against having a monophonic synth as your first synth. Older virtual analogs may or may not sound as nice, but they seem to be where the price/functionality ratio is maximized, they aren't old enough to be "retro" so they are "uncool". You will also need a mixer of some sort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pillow Face posted:

I have the SE-02 and it's real good.
I also have the Novation Circuit and that is also real good. It's a lot more than a monosynth with sequencer but it will do what you specify and a whole lot more.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Does it have to be a keyboard, or do you just want something to make sounds with? And what's your budget?

A volca or pocket operator would let you do that, and should sync to your drum machine. They're also both much cheaper than a microbrute.

I'd like a keyboard. My wife use to play the piano, and I think the keys would encourage her to play around with it.

Ideally, I'd like to stay under $250, but less is better. I'll be shopping used.

I don't know if the microbrute is a good machine or not (relative to what I want to do.) I just noticed that there they can be had for under $250, have keys, and people on youtube can make them sound pretty.

Mr. Dick posted:

Sans computer, you need either a sequencer or a synth with a sequencer built in. If you want lots of tracks, like you want to make songs, grooveboxes are what you should be looking into (though that will probably render the drum machine redundant). If you want to turn knobs on a single synth line, something like a Microbrute will work just fine though Mr. Dick recommends against having a monophonic synth as your first synth. Older virtual analogs may or may not sound as nice, but they seem to be where the price/functionality ratio is maximized, they aren't old enough to be "retro" so they are "uncool". You will also need a mixer of some sort.

I'm not looking to make songs really. Wife plays flute, I suck at harmonica. We got the drum machine as a super metronome (and I found it for $100). I've been having fun making beats, kinda want to add some more sounds. Working with $250, what would Mr. Dick consider?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Roland SH-201 is the default suggestion, Mr. Dick's hard pressed to think of anything else that has keys, is poly and within your price range. They don't have sequencers, they have very good arpeggiators though.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

rump buttman posted:

I got a drum machine (Alesis sr18)

i love the sr 18! jesus and mary chain used it on, darklands, it's such a great album

borrowed the bass station ii from my buddy, it's sick in terms of features but definitely want that se-2 for the module form factor and number of stored sequences.

byob historian posted:

theres always the tb-03

yeah, that was in the running but a td-3 (or two) is probably going to win out for the acid role

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

Mr. Dick posted:

Roland SH-201 is the default suggestion, Mr. Dick's hard pressed to think of anything else that has keys, is poly and within your price range. They don't have sequencers, they have very good arpeggiators though.

Whats a fair price for a Roland SH-201in nice condition?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

rump buttman posted:

Whats a fair price for a Roland SH-201in nice condition?

Depends where you're at and where "nice condition" falls for you between fully functional and used once for 1/2 an hour then put in its box and put in a closet. $150-250 USD in an average U.S. marketplace for the former.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

PSR 363 or a used microkorg

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
My TD-3 came in this week :woop: maybe we should have some acid-inspired boner jamz when more people get theirs?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gorewar posted:

My TD-3 came in this week :woop: maybe we should have some acid-inspired boner jamz when more people get theirs?

I saw that some places won't be shipping until March? Wtf man I want it!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey this is dumb but I am extremely interested in trying to use synth drums in some black metal. Any advice? I know that I won’t really be able to avoid the lack of variation in blastbeats (all I have now is a volca drum and dont really want to use soft synths) and such but what would be some other things to consider or try out? I think I want to play around with embracing the notarealkit aspect but only so far as to give the percussion a unique vibe without making them the focal point because of how they sound. I’d love to hear if anyone has given this a go with any success.

byob historian posted:

its a drum machine with a distortion on it so, it likes sounding dirty. idk how trapped into any one genre it is.
it sounds almost like some kinda old 70s kit as far as the hits go. the fm drums nice, works well as a second kick or another tom if you dont want a wild farty sound.

the polyrhythm is the main reason i got it instead of a different machine. i use that to make the cowbell dance all over the place or for weird sound design things, but im sure it could work out nice for real music too

:love: thanks for the info! Still leaning towards the Drumbrute for sure once I get some more synth money together. I always come back to it. It’s so hands on and direct. At this point I have to accept that the way I interact with a piece of gear is just as important as the sound itself.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey this is dumb but I am extremely interested in trying to use synth drums in some black metal. Any advice?

Learn mechanical engineering and build your own synths and controllers :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xrS-ezmA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MuKTkukIw

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey this is dumb but I am extremely interested in trying to use synth drums in some black metal. Any advice? I know that I won’t really be able to avoid the lack of variation in blastbeats (all I have now is a volca drum and dont really want to use soft synths) and such but what would be some other things to consider or try out? I think I want to play around with embracing the notarealkit aspect but only so far as to give the percussion a unique vibe without making them the focal point because of how they sound. I’d love to hear if anyone has given this a go with any success.

:love: thanks for the info! Still leaning towards the Drumbrute for sure once I get some more synth money together. I always come back to it. It’s so hands on and direct. At this point I have to accept that the way I interact with a piece of gear is just as important as the sound itself.

Have you tried just like doing it and seeing what happens? Programming a pattern on the closest part and playing it? Hows it sound? What would you change to make it better?

I haven't messed with BM at all but those are the questions I'd ask.

What inspired me to make this post despite being not really qualified to answer is it's always interesting to me how fake all the early SR-16 demos sound - but sampled, obviously. So it seems like you could get to the same thing?

Or is the Drum the mono one? In which case I'd make a sample kit of like all the parts you want and just play it like a very early demo (granular velocity settings, the same sample over and over again, look up an SR-16 manual if you wanna be trve or whatever but really the simpler the better) and you'll get the sound just with cooler drums.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

The volca drum sounds awesome if you put it through a distortion pedal or two. Dunno if that's the kind of sound that would work with black metal, but might be worth a try.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Kilometers have you ever listened to The Berzerker? Australian band that are a mix of black/grind/death but with nosebleed gabber blasting drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTWBWQf1PM0

They're really friendly in real life. There was a large fight outside the show I saw here in the UK after the gig- a gang of chavs who'd been sat outside, the venue was by the bus station, decided that it'd be good fun to start punching people leaving the gig :britain: and after the police had piled a bunch of people into the riot vans the singer is stood there surveying it all, shaking his head repeating "what a bloody shame. Bloody outrage." in the most Australian way ever.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Gorewar posted:

Been playing around with mine - it's a lot of fun but holy hell trying to sequence stuff using the built-in programming is insane. Hats off for them sticking with the original way but yeah, whoever designed the original 303 must have been on another planet to think that's usable. On the other hand it's a good way to generate happy accidents.

My only minor quibble so far is when you've MIDI-synced your TD-3 I've been having problems programming in patterns the "proper" way, and I have to switch to internal sync to do it then back.

Also after my last firmware update my computer has decided that my USB interfaces only need to work for usually 20-30 minutes at a time before crashing, making DAW integration of anything a pain in the rear end and why I stopped with my classical jamz.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stillvisions posted:

Been playing around with mine - it's a lot of fun but holy hell trying to sequence stuff using the built-in programming is insane. Hats off for them sticking with the original way but yeah, whoever designed the original 303 must have been on another planet to think that's usable.

The MC-4 and MC-8 work the same way. You have to think from a perspective where you basically transcribe sheet music to something digital, and in that case it makes slightly more sense.

However, separating pitch and time means you can randomize a pattern. If you like the notes but not the timing, just program new timing. If you like the timing but not the notes, program new notes. The latter is the case most of the time - and you can basically lock the notes into a scale you want easily.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Roland TB 03 has both sequencer styles switchable if anyone is on the fence. Been really happy with mine. Love sequencing with trigger in from my drum machine

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

stillvisions posted:

On the other hand it's a good way to generate happy accidents.

Isn't that the point though? I mean it's an acid machine after all.
You won't convince me otherwise.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTBUaazrV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oohnf, right in the wallet