Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

BigRed0427 posted:

Batman and Son was poo poo from what I remember. Under the Red Hood was the last DC animated thing I saw that was good.

I thought that the Dark Knight Returns movie that they split into two parts was good. Helps that they got Peter Weller to play old Batman.

I also have high hopes for The Killing Joke which is coming out this year I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
DC Animated has the exact same problem that DC movies have, namely that they really over push the grim and gritty stuff. The stories they choose to adept shows that as well.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

e X posted:

DC Animated has the exact same problem that DC movies have, namely that they really over push the grim and gritty stuff. The stories they choose to adept shows that as well.

The DC movies also have a problem of not doing the grim and gritty well. Proper execution counts for a lot IMO. I don't mind them doing animated versions of very well known stories.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

e X posted:

Hell, that's an issue company wide, especially the Batman line of books. My problem with it isn't that they try to do dark, mature stories. It's that their idea of dark and mature is still stuck in the 90s.

I'll have to find it when I get home but VOX.com wrote an article about an interview with Zach Snyder where he says that he's not interest d in comics where there's no sex or blood. He is one of those guys who wants to be cool and edgy but it just comes off as super immature.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 9, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh hey, Night Mind posted a new video on...The Wyoming Incident...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghBGvPepSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Edit: This is a real headscratcher. Night Mind does real god work on this kind of stuff, but just seeing that title is making this all rush back to me and now I might not sleep with the lights on for a few days

Actually sat through the video. Holy crap, I'm actually in there briefly. That's something.

Narrator dude's line delivery is super annoying. How do you do almost 45 minutes of monolog with almost no variation in cadence?!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Leal posted:

They made a comic about Eminem?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Hell, that's an issue company wide, especially the Batman line of books. My problem with it isn't that they try to do dark, mature stories. It's that their idea of dark and mature is still stuck in the 90s.

I'll have to find it when I get home but VOX.com wrote an article about an interview with Zach Snyder where he says that he's not interest d in comics where there's no sex or blood. He is one of those guys who wants to be cool and edgy but it just comes off as super immature.

The context of that interview was he was talking about when a friend of his was trying to get him into comics in boarding school but couldn't get into them because they weren't edgy. You know, late teenager/early 20's opinions on things. In the interview he said his jam were the Heavy Metal magazines. That whole article was written like a DC fan :qq:ing over the direction the movies were taking.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jsor posted:

Extra Credits' Dan did a really good look at that dumb as hell "Tracer's butt" blowup that happened. Though sometimes I think dignifying all the whiners with a response is just encouraging them, I learned a lot about animation and character design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLkVtqjf1A

This is neat. Is this a one-off, or are there other videos in this series? All I'm getting is Extra Credits videos, whose topics can be interesting but the pitch-shifted voice drives me up the loving wall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

This is neat. Is this a one-off, or are there other videos in this series? All I'm getting is Extra Credits videos, whose topics can be interesting but the pitch-shifted voice drives me up the loving wall.

There's this one which is quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coCsLWqT3v0

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Dan's animation series (Danimation?) is normally posted on Extra Credit's side channel: Extra Play. Here's the playlist of all the other videos in the series.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sweet, thanks guys.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
So I watched Brad's video about the copyright strike resolution.

One thing that really, really got me was when he mentioned that the strike didn't come from the Christiano studio directly.

Rather, it came from an OUTSOURCED, overseas dude whose job is to just go around YouTube and flag videos.

Totally not a broken system at all.

So now I wonder-- is this cheapass studios outsourcing their copyright trolling, or is there a grey "spammer-like" market selling their services to movie studios. Do studios get poorly worded spam like "#1 best copyrite protection 4 u best rates guarenteed $$$ reply thankfully"?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What I want to know is how do I get that as a job? All I have to do is enter the IP into the search bar and file a strike? And I get MONEY for it? Sign me up, has to be better then retail.

Though I guess being in America and thus being restricted to American labor laws I can't get a job like that cause why pay me minimum wage when they can pay someone in Asia pennies an hour.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh DC's animated movies have been pretty hit or miss for the last few years imo

Everything past Under the Red hood and The Dark Knight Returns you can write off, except maybe Justice League: Gods and Monsters. The ones past that have the same problems as the current crop of DC movies and have an awful art style to boot. I especially detest Justice League: War and Assault on Arkham. Those movies just roll all the worst aspects of "the grim, gritty, realistic" approach that DC is aiming for into two awful packages.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It really sucks too because the crappy quality of the recent DC animated films looks poised to screw over The Killing Joke adaptation. Everything about that film looks great except the animation, which appears to be terrible. Having just watched Mask of the Phantasm last night because you guys brought it up, the new stuff just pales in comparison. And that film was using only slightly better than TV budget animation!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkFP1cKZaec

Angry Joe debuts a new review format. I kinda like it because you still get his honest opinion and his silly moments without the same screaming.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Angry Joe debuts a new review format. I kinda like it because you still get his honest opinion and his silly moments without the same screaming.

I just watched it and I hope this becomes the new thing. It feels like a return to form, just people talking about things without any skits or fancy graphics. A few reviewers have been trying to outdo themselves (Linkara, Doug, Angry Joe, Spoony) when really just sitting down and getting to the point feels kind of refreshing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The big thing I like about Linkara, at least, is that (last time I watched) most of the time (unless it's one of them big plotline ending reviews or whatever) he finishes the review before doing the skits.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

That's what I like about Linkara too. I know I can skip to the end and not miss any of the plot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When is Linkara going to update history of Power Rangers?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

It feels a little bland but if he sticks with it I think it'll work out really well for him.

Leal posted:

Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuzZIirRus

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

Isn't that over? I thought he was totally caught up now.

e: possible :thejoke:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Just the YMS quick review of Civil War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6X8oHh7wA

Major spoiler for the end of the film. Holy poo poo I get not liking Tony Stark/Iron Man but how deliberately obtuse do you need to be to not understand that it isn't just "vigilante justice" that he wants to kill Bucky in the final fight. They show you that Bucky killed his parents and Rogers knew as well and kept it from him.

He's not Cinema Sins levels of not getting it but goddamn is he getting close with a heavy dose of :spergin: on top of it all.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, I just posted a video about Transformers and its weird relationship with death, focusing on the Beast Wars episode Code of Hero. This is actually my third attempt at making this video over the last six months, I kept having program and corruption issues that kept trashing the final product. Glad to have finally finished it, and glad to get back to my huge backlog of requested videos.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

Talking about previous Captain America movie: "Where are all the other heroes in this Captain America movie, can't he call one of them up to help?"

Talking about new Captain America movie: "Why are there so many other heroes in this Captain America movie, why even bother calling it Captain America?"

God this guy is insufferable. You'd get the same experience reading the YouTube comments from the trailer. I don't think he actually had anything of substance to say about the movie itself, neither the writing, the technical abilities, or the acting, it's just nitpicking and calling the movie out for following a "formula" which apparently involves not having heroes die and that's a bad thing?

I ended up not liking the movie myself, and I still disagree with him on pretty much every point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To be fair, it really should've been called Avengers: Civil War rather than Captain America. There's a whole lot going on outside of Cap, and the main plot isn't even focussed on him, its on breaking Tony Stark's mental stability like a twig.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6X8oHh7wA

Major spoiler for the end of the film. Holy poo poo I get not liking Tony Stark/Iron Man but how deliberately obtuse do you need to be to not understand that it isn't just "vigilante justice" that he wants to kill Bucky in the final fight. They show you that Bucky killed his parents and Rogers knew as well and kept it from him.

He's not Cinema Sins levels of not getting it but goddamn is he getting close with a heavy dose of :spergin: on top of it all.

Whenever he's not doing art films he just ends up being so drat bad at reviewing. Seriously who the gently caress fails at understanding feminism in Fury Road and pads the video with Social Network clip on background noise?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Annointed posted:

Whenever he's not doing art films he just ends up being so drat bad at reviewing. Seriously who the gently caress fails at understanding feminism in Fury Road and pads the video with Social Network clip on background noise?

The only video I ever watched all the way through was his Interstellar review, where he went on a tangent on how it's stupid how movies mythologize love because it's just a chemical reaction in the brain following an evolutionary imperative of self-preservation and procreation. It is the most :biotruths: thing I have ever heard. loving ignorant, smug douchebag.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wrote a thing on notoriously lovely wrestling promotion TNA and I gotta say that if you were to tell non-wrestling fans about them then they would think that everything is made up. They're just a special kind of incompetent.

http://prograpsreview.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/the-dumbest-moments-in-tna-history.html

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Edit: wait, where did all the posts on yms go? I was replying to those.

Wait, only now did people notice that he's kind of hosed up?

Kunster fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 12, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kunster posted:

Wait, only now did people notice that he's kind of hosed up?

If you're talking about YMS this is kind of a harsh contrast. Seriously he seems to, when focusing on experimental art house films and on dissecting a movie to be more collected and able to articulate language in film. However as soon as you step out of the technical aspects he can be godawful at understanding why these are used as metaphor for the themes of the film.

This is coming from the guy who made a multi part blowjob of Synecdoche in New York and a several minute opening on how the opening shot was hamfistedly pointing out the concept of death, and calling it a technical masterpiece that cannot even be replicated. While lambasting other films for doing the same thing. Like how he didn't get much of Edge of Tomorrow despite having the technical and emotional aspects of how the camera changes bewteen comedic and serious, and has side characters die offscreen to point out the different states of madness the main character undergoes. Kind of like Synecdoche.

At this point I feel like I already knows what he likes, movies that are technically sound and reward him with easter eggs, but in other aspects where the technical is replaced by other parts of moviemaking, like say some parts of mainstream media, he becomes the biggest snob, like a parody of Brows Held High.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hence why I said kind of hosed up. For more mainstream videos he's messed up, but not so much on art films. He's a different beast with those but not with something like Frozen or Bruno. He probably relaxes his standards and that's how you get the Interstellar tirade and so on.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 12, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

For as bad as he can be during some YMS videos, he's genuinely bad when I've seen him play games on stream, not in a bad at them or anything way, in more of a "What a tremendously unlikable person" way.

Maybe I just got really unlucky picking the days or something, but drat man.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I like his After Earth, Cool Cat, Walking Dead, Pokemon, Nanalan, Unfriended, World War Z, Death Race, Saw, Spiderman, and Shyamalan videos. But at the same time his reasons for not liking the new Planet of the Apes films, Frozen, and Babadook were kind of dumb. And he can be very much up his own rear end when talking about films he likes. And that love=chemicals argument was painful.

I'm kind of the same opinion on him as I am with Leon Thomas. For the most part I like him but there's a few videos I just have to agree to disagree. It's a good thing we don't live in an all-or-nothing culture.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

MrSlam posted:

It's a good thing we don't live in an all-or-nothing culture.

um wtf this is the internet we must hate everything or nothing

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MrSlam posted:

I like his After Earth, Cool Cat, Walking Dead, Pokemon, Nanalan, Unfriended, World War Z, Death Race, Saw, Spiderman, and Shyamalan videos. But at the same time his reasons for not liking the new Planet of the Apes films, Frozen, and Babadook were kind of dumb. And he can be very much up his own rear end when talking about films he likes. And that love=chemicals argument was painful.

I'm kind of the same opinion on him as I am with Leon Thomas. For the most part I like him but there's a few videos I just have to agree to disagree. It's a good thing we don't live in an all-or-nothing culture.

Honestly I basically agree with your list. When he goes after ultra low hanging fruit like AFTER URF he can be pretty funny. His Walking Dead breakdown was also pretty interesting too. His other stuff is just egh a lot of times.

Also I don't know what it is about some people who dislike Frozen but they seem to think they're sitting on a pedestal that need to deliver knowledge to the unwashed masses.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I've also definitely heard the "Love is a chemical reaction" thing a number of different places but it's always from the internet atheist sorts who don't actually care but just want to seem smug and lord it over everyone else.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i remember it coming up in his review of The Host and it was just as weird and cringey there

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

For as bad as he can be during some YMS videos, he's genuinely bad when I've seen him play games on stream, not in a bad at them or anything way, in more of a "What a tremendously unlikable person" way.

Maybe I just got really unlucky picking the days or something, but drat man.

From what I gather that sort of vibe is constant.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tracula posted:

I've also definitely heard the "Love is a chemical reaction" thing a number of different places but it's always from the internet atheist sorts who don't actually care but just want to seem smug and lord it over everyone else.

There seems to be an uncomfortable amount of crossover between being an internet atheist personality and being anti-feminist. It's bizarre to me, though it's probably a natural progression for those who are basically dictionary atheists and deny that it affects the way you perceive the world (as if having a belief about the world somehow diminishes their personae as TRUE RATIONALISTS™). There's still some good ones left, but man has the field diminished over the past few years of eye-opening tirades.

• Locked thread