Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Konsek posted:

I played Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri like crazy when they came out but only briefly tried the games since then. I don't think I've ever even played V or VI for myself. A friend of mine who doesn't really play games anymore told me he has been playing Civ 2 again from nostalgia and is enjoying it. It got me thinking about trying whatever the latest version is but reading online there seems to be a lot of grumbling about Civ 6.

If anyone is going to play just one Civilization game, what should it be? Is it simply a case of the newest is the best, or is Civ IV the peak of the series? Whatever the consensus is, me and my non gaming friend will embark on playing it.

Civ4 is the peak of the "Civ2-like" games of the series. CivV and Civ6 are different games that feel a lot more like a board game rather then a Civ game. I'd say if you like Civ2, play Civ4. If you want something new and civ-like, and you mostly want to play multiplayer, check-out civ6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Trivia posted:

I don't know if you guys ever played the Civ facebook game from a few years ago (it was poo poo), but it had an interesting mechanic in that there was a gimmick each era. For example, in the medieval era, science was cut by 75% or some such. That really slowed things down. The devs could try something similar, or institute some sort of mechanic for declining marginal returns.

This would be a cool idea, basically make each "age" have a gimmick, and reward the first player that leaves the age. But when the first player leaves it, the malus of the age ends for everyone and then the next age malus kicks in.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I do wish there were a few more contextual events too. I think it would be interesting if new resources were revealed when [a low number of players] discovered them; you have heard it's useful and can stake your claim to them, but can't work them until you have that tech. "Spirit of the Age" events could be fun things that change from game to game. I also would appreciate "first to" bonuses coming back (e.g. first to circumnavigate the globe, first to map most of each continent). Many of all of these would need to be nuanced for different map types.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

John F Bennett posted:

Copied from Civfanatics :

Khmer:

Ability - Grand Barays - faith and Amenities from aqueducts, farms get bonus food if adjacent to aqueducts
Leader Ability - Monasteries of the King - + Food and Housing for Holy Sites next to rivers, Holy Sites land Grab
Unique Unit - Domray - Siege Elephant
Unique Building - Prasat - Missionaries get martyr, also has relic slots

That is interesting. Missionaries getting Martyr means... Well, they can't offensively fight, so not much I guess actually. People will just stomp your missionaries instead. I was going to say it's a lot more spammable than Martyr Apostles, but with how theological combat currently works, well, yeah.

The other stuff is neat though. So they're good at getting big and doing religion. And they have elephants.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's a popular Civ 4 mod that does passive dispersion of tech... like once X% of the civs know a tech everyone else researches it Y% faster and it scales up the more civs that learn it. It's intended to prevent the failure state of falling behind by an era and a half in tech and being a dead civ walking, just waiting for the stronger civs to divvy up your cities.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

known tech bonus is in the base game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Prav posted:

4 has plenty of leaders who will wardec you just because they had a big army that was getting bored.

i actually like this, it means you have to maintain an army even though you're ahead. i tell you what i've had a game of civ 4 completely ruined because a stack of 50 medieval units defeated my nominal stack of 15 industrial ones.

in civ 5 or 6? never happen, i'll kill a thousand thousand AI units with two ranged guys and a melee to zone of control/tank.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2017

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i actually like this, it means you have to maintain an army even though you're ahead. i tell you what i've had a game of civ 4 completely ruined because a stack of 50 medieval units defeated my nominal stack of 15 industrial ones.

in civ 5 or 6? never happen, i'll kill a thousand thousand AI units with two ranged guys and a melee to zone of control/tank.

This is maybe one of my biggest problems with V and VI. It's just hard to really care about warmonger penalties or whatever because, well... Who cares if the AI rolls around with a few units that you can just pick apart with a few ranged units? They're just not a threat whatsoever, and it takes so much out of the game.

Civ IV didn't have the greatest AI in the world but at least it had some teeth on it. If you didn't pay attention it could run you over pretty badly. This made playing the diplomacy game a lot more rewarding.

In V and VI it's like... I don't care about that aspect of the game. Both because it's annoying to actually try and play it (UI stupidity) and again, because who cares? Hell, even if you *do* care about warmonger penalties you can just sit around when the AI declares war, murder a bunch of their units and then reap huge rewards in the peace deal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is a good opportunity for your biweekly reminder that there should not be ranged units in Civ

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is a good opportunity for your biweekly reminder that there should not be ranged units in Civ

They'd be fine if they actually bothered to balance them. As it is, they always make them hit too hard and resist melee attack too well.

My favoured approach would be to have them be part of your melee units, so you could add field guns to your infantry, or archers to your spearmen. They'd damage enemy units prior to combat. You could also have siege units that would do the same for cities.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eric the Mauve posted:

ranged arty was one of things on the extremely short list of "good things civ 3 did"

as generic units yeah it sucks

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There's always someone painfully explaining what the game is trying to model while someone else is explaining why it's a garbage implementation / that's not working for them.

People get what Civ 5 and 6 are modeling. It's a failed attempt at doing it and it undermines the game in the process.

That big long post you replied to was an explanation of why that mechanic of how these two countries are supposedly banding together to fight, but not really, just role playing hating him but not actually stopping him in any useful way and declaring a useless war without building up troops, is entirely a waste of time.

It's not painful, he makes a lot of sense. If you want a smooth ride and a free win after you are first just say so.

Kalko posted:

Yeah, I take advantage of that when I can. I like that you can still steamroll your closest neighbour at the start of the game without any penalties too.

I agree with everything you just said and I also wipe as much guys as I can before entering The World Stage.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 16, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

My favoured approach would be to have them be part of your melee units, so you could add field guns to your infantry, or archers to your spearmen. They'd damage enemy units prior to combat. You could also have siege units that would do the same for cities.

imo civilian units that do nominal damage when attacked. they're screwed if they get overrun but they can still fight a little. it would make cavalry particularly useful against them but then they'd have to rebalance melee units, which tend to be far weaker than cavalry, except spears, which are only as strong as mounted units because of their bonus vs cav... it's difficult.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Khmer first look is out, and it's looking pretty decent as a civ. They're going to livestream tomorrow which is an odd choice, shaking it up instead of doing the next first look first. I guess they're shooting for a Thursday release?

Mostly interested in patch notes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Has it ever been discussed that perhaps the reason for the change in stack to army per tile from Civ 4 to 5 was because of the animation of the attacks? It would have been pretty much impossible to animate a stack of doom encounter without going to a separate screen. Separate screens seem to be something that the design team are attempting to eliminate (leader video cutaways not withstanding).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No, the switch to 1UPT was expressly, per the design team, because stacks of doom mechanically suck and they need to go away.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Range units are fine. They just need to get eviscerated by melee units in combat.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I think 1upt is pretty great all around, but still feel the movement points and ranges are a bit too limited to make it work. They should be scaled a little differently- even 3 movement points per turn as baseline would be a huge improvement over the current system. I've advocated it before, but I really think the team could take some design cues from a game like Advance Wars- with an emphasis on positioning and maneuverability. Forcing ranged units to deal with firing shadows would also prevent them from uniformly dominating- since melee units could get up in their face.

I worry that the scaling of the cities/game maps may make it difficult to find a sweet spot between game mechanics vs. immersion, but something in between the mechanics we have now and the mechanics of advance wars would be an improvement I feel.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
New music hype! Can't wait to hear it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

turboraton posted:

It's not painful, he makes a lot of sense. If you want a smooth ride and a free win after you are first just say so.

It's not about a free ride. It's about wasting time getting attacked by people who cannot possibly beat you.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

*bursts into thread* Did someone say Advance Wars? :haw:. Sorry, sorry.

Advance Wars definitely already feels like it was a big influence on Civ 5, between the one unit per tile and the unique abilities for civs. There's definitely an argument that you could take another leaf from its book and increase the granularity of movement again, though.

Base move speed in Civ 6 did get increased to three, although the new rule about always needing enough move points to enter a tile quashed that (although hey, that's an AW rule).

It might be notable that AW is a four-direction square grid game (a "taxicab" or "Manhatten" metric), Civ 5 and 6 are six-diectional hex grid and Civ 4 and earlier are eight-directional (a "chessboard" or "Chebyshev" metric). AW units need those extra move points so they can get around in a timely fashion with the limited number of directions they can move. It's probably why the base move speed went from 1 to 2 going from Civ 4 to 5.

It also makes chokepoints extremely strong. "Holding off an AI horde with a few ranged units and something to do the tanking" sounds like half of a typical AW campaign. So if the Civ 5 devs copied AW, they shold probably have known what was coming.

Intelligent Systems (the AW devs) gave the system a few tweaks in the later games, Dual Strike in particular tried to tame the mighty artillery with the chokepoint-busting power of the titular Dual Strikes and some tweaks to how the CO meter charged.

I remember anti-tanks being this backbreaking opponent in Days of Ruin simply because they didn't have a range shadow, had decent defence and could return fire in melee. So a bit like the Civ problem, I guess. Imagine facing down a machine gun in Civ 5 that's been upgraded from an English Longbowman.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paul.Power posted:

Imagine facing down a machine gun in Civ 5 that's been upgraded from an English Longbowman.

*tactical nuke*

i play with these a lot because i take care of my stone age rush archers

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Paul.Power posted:

*bursts into thread* Did someone say Advance Wars? :haw:. Sorry, sorry.

This post made me nostalgic for Advance Wars and sad that we'll never get another one probably.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

JVNO posted:

I think 1upt is pretty great all around, but still feel the movement points and ranges are a bit too limited to make it work. They should be scaled a little differently- even 3 movement points per turn as baseline would be a huge improvement over the current system.

Civ maps are nowhere near big enough to make 1UPT work and adding even more movement speed would make the problem worse.

Civ is at its core a strategy game but it's not a war strategy game. 5 and 6 tried to move away from this but there's no way to put enough tiles on the map to make a war strategy game work. And it would be a bad move for Civ 7 to try to be an Advance Wars sequel.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I agree with Eric: 1UPT works great for Advance Wars and games like that because they are something else: tactical war games.

Civ is a grand strategy game, its a completely different kind of game, with a whole other scale and focus. You either add a tactical battle screen like in Master of Magic, AoW, Endless Legend (but please no); or leave the tactical aspect out (preferable, imo). Civ tried to find a compromise between the 2 and it works bad.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Hot take: I think fighting off the AI with just a few units in civ 5/6 is fun.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Alpha Centauri is by far the best civ game especially given how far ahead of its time it was. Terraforming lends level of player agency on the game world that no civ game allows. Want to build a surprise land bridge to your neighbor, go for it! Want to terraform down and flood a city without a pressure dome, go for it! Melt the polar ice caps, raise sea levels, nuke enormous continent sized craters into the earth, all easily done. Custom units were a blast making orbital inserted hover tanks just felt right. The in world fluff is excellent sci fi, the factions feel unique and if you're not playing at super high levels are fun all around.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

deathbysnusnu posted:

Alpha Centauri is by far the best civ game especially given how far ahead of its time it was. Terraforming lends level of player agency on the game world that no civ game allows. Want to build a surprise land bridge to your neighbor, go for it! Want to terraform down and flood a city without a pressure dome, go for it! Melt the polar ice caps, raise sea levels, nuke enormous continent sized craters into the earth, all easily done. Custom units were a blast making orbital inserted hover tanks just felt right. The in world fluff is excellent sci fi, the factions feel unique and if you're not playing at super high levels are fun all around.

Counterpoint: Alpha Centauri had a couple bright spots (the voice parts, the terraforming, the "plot"), but it was not well balanced, and making boring, slightly-improved units constantly with that interface was a sloggy slogslogslog.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What is the point of razing a city other than being moustache twirlingly evil?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

It's either where you don't want to keep the city, basically if it's in a really bad location or if you CAN'T keep the city, because it's surrounded by enemies and you can't exactly hold it (but you wanted it gone for other reasons, like it's a unit pump/research center etc), or if holding it is somehow a detriment to your empire.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Has it ever been discussed that perhaps the reason for the change in stack to army per tile from Civ 4 to 5 was because of the animation of the attacks? It would have been pretty much impossible to animate a stack of doom encounter without going to a separate screen. Separate screens seem to be something that the design team are attempting to eliminate (leader video cutaways not withstanding).

What? The animations in Civ 4 are basically the same style as 5 and 6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vargatron posted:

iunno but half the time when a civ buys a city off me for like 3 luxury resources, 200 gold, and 10 gold per turn, they'll immediately set it on fire

id love to know the ai logic there

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Indonesia's up.

Gitarja leads.

Ability - Great Nusantara - Coastal tiles provide minor adjacency bonuses for Holy Sites, Campuses, Industrial Zones, and Theatre Squares. Entertainment Complexes give an additional Amenity if they're adjacent to a non-lake coastal tile.
Leader Ability - Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds - naval units can be purchased at a discount using faith. Religious units take no movement points to embark or disembark. Coastal cities get bonus faith.
Unique Unit - Jong - replaces Frigate, faster and gives its speed to formations. Extra combat power in a formation.
Unique Improvment - Kampung - Built in coastal tiles adjacent to water resources. Provides Housing, Production, and Food for each adjacent Fishing Boat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the new civs and just wants the patch notes?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

No

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vargatron posted:

Less faff? I burn basically every city if I'm going for a conquest victory.
In theory I guess it means you also don't need to defend it but that'd involve the AI being able to take it over in the first place.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cool

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

To expand, I'm not paying 5€ per civ if the rest of the game is still the same.

Now if you would excuse me, I have to get back to my Civ 4 TSL game. Egypt just invaded England.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mymla posted:

Hot take: I think fighting off the AI with just a few units in civ 5/6 is fun.

It's even more fun to try to out-manuever an opponent that actually has a chance to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

man they sure like making one-trick pony civs