Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

What the hell is your beef with Return of the Living Dead 2?

Well you see, I don't like it because it's extremely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hat Thoughts posted:

what guy de maupassant story is Boudu based on

The teal section is the primetime slot, everything after that is just good programming.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Sacrament was stunningly terrible and maybe Ti West is a hack?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Sacrament was stunningly terrible and maybe Ti West is a hack?

It's really hard for me to fathom how The Sacrament is the de facto "Ti West is a hack" example, and not In the Valley of Violence.

But, then again, lots of people like Bone Tomahawk, so maybe mediocre weird westerns are more forgivable than mumblecore found footage for some, I dunno.

edit:

Anyway, I'm finally peeping The Love Witch tonight.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anybody listen to the Shittown podcast yet? It's aping Serial pretty hard, since a lot of the same people worked on it, but I'm an episode in and the main figure in the story, John, in absolutely incredible.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

it suffers from not being trashy enough

I would like to point out that Spring Breakers starts with dubstep and topless women jumping in slow motion.

And it gets trashier.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spring Breakers feels too irony-heavy to be genuinely trashy.

The pinnacle of modern trashy cinema as far as I'm concerned is Piranha 3D.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You know what would have nullified this feeling? If they'd simply cast Riff Raff.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Korine doesn't really do irony. He definitely makes totally authentic, earnest trash. Case in point: Trash Humpers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know what would have nullified this feeling? If they'd simply cast Riff Raff.

I dunno, I understand what you're getting at here but that would've made the movie even more of a living meme than it already was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is Joe Manganiello actually Microwave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nybHIApABmo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Korine doesn't really do irony. He definitely makes totally authentic, earnest trash. Case in point: Trash Humpers.

I think Kids is probably a better example, although Spring Breakers is the better movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It glistened a little too much. I still don't know why people have this huge beef with James Franco. I've heard so many rando people go into table-flipping mode when his name comes up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the problem with Mel Brooks is that his type of comedy was old fashioned even when the films came out. He's more out of the vaudeville tradition. Some people love it (me), others don't. To me, Jewish or "Borcht Belt" comedy is like catnip to me. That's why I love Woody Allen's 70s comedies, since they're intelligently silly.

But I think what makes his films stand out is his reverence for what he's satirizing. Young Frankenstein is obviously the pinnacle of this, but even Spaceballs is like a crash course in 70s/80s sci-fi. A good parody movie makes you want to check out what's being satirized.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well you see, I don't like it because it's extremely bad.

Nah it's extremely good. Even though I haven't seen it in more than a decade I know it's good because the zombies in that movie can use phones and pretend to be humans. You have to ask them who the current president is to see if they're a zombie or not. Also they say pretty funny stuff. They're this weird kind of intelligent but bumbling zombie that doesn't seem to exist in cinema anymore. Return of the Living Dead 3 was pretty cool too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It glistened a little too much. I still don't know why people have this huge beef with James Franco. I've heard so many rando people go into table-flipping mode when his name comes up.

He comes across as smug. I love me some Franco, but he definitely has an attitude that turns off people.

I also knew someone who hated him because she hated his art. Not like, his movies, but his actual art, and that it came off as super pretentious and that he only got the attention he did because he was famous. (yes she was in art school how did you guess?)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

Nah it's extremely good. Even though I haven't seen it in more than a decade I know it's good because the zombies in that movie can use phones and pretend to be humans. You have to ask them who the current president is to see if they're a zombie or not. Also they say pretty funny stuff. They're this weird kind of intelligent but bumbling zombie that doesn't seem to exist in cinema anymore. Return of the Living Dead 3 was pretty cool too.

Part 3 is good but Part 2 is trying to parody something that was already a comedy but none of its jokes land and as a result its just completely insufferable, also has one of the absolute worst horror movie child protagonists ever

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Part 3 is good but Part 2 is trying to parody something that was already a comedy but none of its jokes land and as a result its just completely insufferable, also has one of the absolute worst horror movie child protagonists ever

Are you saying Return of the Living Dead 2 was a parody of Return of the Living Dead 1? I still haven't seen it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DC Murderverse posted:

He comes across as smug. I love me some Franco, but he definitely has an attitude that turns off people.

I guess? Most Hollywood actors seem really smug though. This is the same thing with Julia Roberts where multiple people I've met have gone into frothing rages about her for some reason.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I guess? Most Hollywood actors seem really smug though. This is the same thing with Julia Roberts where multiple people I've met have gone into frothing rages about her for some reason.

I tried to think of someone who made me that angry, and all I came up with are people who deserve it (Roman Polanski, Justin Bieber)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

Are you saying Return of the Living Dead 2 was a parody of Return of the Living Dead 1? I still haven't seen it.

Yes. Return of the Living Dead 1 is one of the greatest movies ever made, watch it.

DC Murderverse posted:

I tried to think of someone who made me that angry, and all I came up with are people who deserve it (Roman Polanski, Justin Bieber)

Franco did have that thing where he was creeping on a 14 year old girl online didn't he?

edit: actually upon googling she was 17, although at the time Franco was 35

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 30, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I see this a lot with Paltrow and Hathaway. Paltrow I kind of get

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is it possible they were confusing him with Generalissimo Francisco Franco former* dictator of Spain?

*Still dead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He's smug and has a bunch of industry friends who promote him constantly, yet sucks

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I guess to be fair I'd rather eat dirt than watch a movie that has Jack Black in it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm listening to the Dark Web ep of Sword and Scale and I'm dying. It's SO fake. Everybody who talks about this poo poo is a geek.

Its one of my favs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hedenius posted:

It boggles my mind that there are people who speak fondly of it. It's exactly what Space Movie! by Friedberg and Seltzer would be.

Pizza the Hut. gently caress Space Balls.

And Abby Normal's the height of comedy. :rolleyes:

You're delicious bitter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

he wants to do it himself!!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gorman Thomas posted:

My local rental store sells these neat rags. I wear the Herzog one to the gym occasionally

https://www.cinemetaltshirts.com/collections/all

I've wanted that Scorsese shirt for a while, I think it even shows up in I wanna say Funny People

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, The Love Witch is aces.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yo, The Love Witch is aces.

Helllllllll yeah

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Helllllllll yeah

It's like some cross between Daisies and The Wicker Man, there's a lot to like.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Love Witch immediately went into the Best Movie Hats hall of fame.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Another list idea... favorites from same number of years before you were born.

Going backwards for simplicity
93: Short Cuts
92: Batman Returns (best superhero movie)
91: Slacker
90: Goodfellas
89: Tango and Cash
-2nd: Tongues Untied
88: They Live
87: RoboCop
-2nd: Raising Arizona
86: Manhunter
-2nd: Big Trouble In Little China
85: Tampopo
-2nd: Nightmare On Elm Street 2
84: Paris, Texas
-2nd: Repo Man
83: Videodrome
82: The King Of Comedy
81: Shock Treatment
80: The Shining
79: Real Life
-2nd: Alien
78: Halloween
77: Hausu
76: Taxi Driver
75: Nashville
74: Blazing Saddles
73: F For Fake
72: Cabaret

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I Before E posted:

Going backwards for simplicity
93: Short Cuts
92: Batman Returns (best superhero movie)
91: Slacker
90: Goodfellas
89: Tango and Cash
-2nd: Tongues Untied
88: They Live
87: RoboCop
-2nd: Raising Arizona
86: Manhunter
-2nd: Big Trouble In Little China
85: Tampopo
-2nd: Nightmare On Elm Street 2
84: Paris, Texas
-2nd: Repo Man
83: Videodrome
82: The King Of Comedy
81: Shock Treatment
80: The Shining
79: Real Life
-2nd: Alien
78: Halloween
77: Hausu
76: Taxi Driver
75: Nashville
74: Blazing Saddles
73: F For Fake
72: Cabaret

Jayzus, you're a young'un.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Budgie Jumping posted:

Stop posting and go watch Return of the Living Dead ASAP, it's loving awesome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbQRdFDLik

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I want this song.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo, let's kill this list posting poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo, let's kill this list posting poo poo.

Here's my list of best genchat lists

• Locked thread