Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Jean is the Phoenix which is Hope and the Phoenix is Hope's father? So the Phoenix created itself?

I think that kind of missed the mark for me. It also kinda stinks they just took all of the Five off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

So Jean is the Phoenix which is Hope and the Phoenix is Hope's father? So the Phoenix created itself?

I think that kind of missed the mark for me. It also kinda stinks they just took all of the Five off the table.

It's Longshot all over again!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So the Phoenix created itself?

I mean, that's kinda what they do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I haven't read this week's comics, but your first paragraph doesn't seem that weird to me for an X-Men book. It doesn't even involve time travel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't read this week's comics, but your first paragraph doesn't seem that weird to me for an X-Men book. It doesn't even involve time travel.

But it does involve time travel!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its kinda hilarious that two people travel back in time to fight over who gets to get this one lady pregnant.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Gillen managed to make me love Louise Spalding a whole lot in a very short amount of time. :shobon:

The thing I don't understand at the moment is how come Hope dies when she kills/reboots the Phoenix. Like...what is the causation there, what does one have to do with the other.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

Gillen managed to make me love Louise Spalding a whole lot in a very short amount of time. :shobon:

Yeah she's in what, like, six panels and we're probably never gonna see her again, and already a classic character.

I'm also not entirely sure what Hope is exactly, but I'm not a huge fan of her being birthed (?) of the Phoenix (?) originally (?). I know there's all sorts of prophecy and whatnot surrounding her but always thought it was neat that she was basically just somebody's kid who happened to have a neat mutant power at the right time, and presumably becomes worthy of prophecy because of what she does instead of who she is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

But it does involve time travel!

Okay, so it's a perfectly normal X-Men thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The thing I don't understand at the moment is how come Hope dies when she kills/reboots the Phoenix. Like...what is the causation there, what does one have to do with the other.

gonna assume that because they're all in the white hot room you can pull off bug-like poo poo like a very very complicated suicide/rebirth/dad reassignment

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

the Phoenix is Hope's father?

I also haven't caught up with this week but...

Doesn't this make Hope Thor's half-sister? And the Phoenix polygendered?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

danbanana posted:

I also haven't caught up with this week but...

Doesn't this make Hope Thor's half-sister? And the Phoenix polygendered?

Phoenix isn't actually Thor's mother. Gaea is his mother. Aaron teased for a while that she was actually his mother but then revealed she wasn't. Phoenix is just his 'mother' in the sense that she revived him as a baby after he was temporarily killed by a Frost Giant.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

X-O posted:

Phoenix isn't actually Thor's mother. Gaea is his mother. Aaron teased for a while that she was actually his mother but then revealed she wasn't. Phoenix is just his 'mother' in the sense that she revived him as a baby after he was temporarily killed by a Frost Giant.

Well thank god for that. That poo poo sucked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even after the reveal aaron kept having thor and phoenix say she was his mother. no one else picked up on it, and now in immortal thor there's a good story partly about thor's actual mother.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The one thing I kinda don't get about the plot this week was how it all worked at all. Like, I totally get trying to change things by changing Hope's parentage, but I thought the whole gimmick of the White Hot Room was that it existed kinda outside time and that's why Enigma can't see/effect things there, so shouldn't that have not effected her at all (until she leaves?) I don't know, I guess this is just tying back into me not getting the WHR at all.

Oh, and I echo BrianWilly wondering how this all lead to her dying but w/e

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think she died and became the baby Phoenix talking to Jean. So she always was the Phoenix and this is her death and rebirth.

I dunno. Like I said, it didn't really land for me. But I think that's what it was. The Phoenix fathered Hope who became the Phoenix.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Honestly not been enjoying the end stages of this at all. somehow seems both rushed and slow.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

JoylessJester posted:

Honestly not been enjoying the end stages of this at all. somehow seems both rushed and slow.

Pacing is not great, yeah.

I do like the Phoenix stuff because it is supposed to be an immortal fire bird born out of its own ashes. You have to kill it to revive it by definition.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

JoylessJester posted:

This has been my impression of the Fall of X period in general. I'm still enjoying it overall, and there are some great high points, but the quality has definitely fallen from earlier points in the Krakoa era.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
count me in as to not really getting why hope died there, but gotta keep the story moving for one more month

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It makes sense to me, the Phoenix needs a jolt to restart itself, and because the Phoenix is Hope's "dad" she has the spark if you will to provide that, and she does that by dying. Life, death, rebirth.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
we just rolling with it until they explain it in rise of the powers of x 5

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Wouldn't it be crazy if they had Exodus be the father? Like, that's stupid but I'd have accepted it more than Enigma being the dad. I started hoxpox knowing nothing about Exodus and not liking him. Then I learned about his history and hated him. Then immortal made me like him. So now I'm at where he's at.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I guess this technically answers a couple of questions about Hope, like who her dad was and why she was so compatible with the Phoenix, but I'm not sure anyone was really worried about those questions.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Wanderer posted:

I guess this technically answers a couple of questions about Hope, like who her dad was and why she was so compatible with the Phoenix, but I'm not sure anyone was really worried about those questions.

I was surprised that they brought up her parentage for the same reason. I didn't think anyone cared anymore

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like none of this stuff is exactly out of character especially if you read the second "What If: Jean Grey Survived The Dark Phoenix Saga" and it strongly implies that the Phoenix and not Jean Grey is the mother of Rachel.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Hit my lovely local shop yesterday to catch up...

I agree that the "Who are Hope's parents?" thing was never particularly intriguing and I also think that was intentional. I've ranted about this before but the lineage stuff is not the reason why I care about the X-Men. It is cool and good that the explanation was that her parents were probably just some humans because that's how the x-gene works sometimes: normal rear end people giving birth to non-normal people.

But Gillen pulled this off really well, as usual. I concur that Hope's mom rules.

He did not pull off the Destiny-Raven-Kurt thing, though. And I guess I missed the story where Legion became Kurt's sword, so I was pretty confused on that one.

I met with my reading club last night (we finished AXE) and my brother pointed out that the best thing the Krakoan Era did was allow "villains" to have more spotlights on them. Greycrow, Shaw, Exodus, etc. all got more exposure than they ever could have in any other set of stories. I don't know if the amnesty concept was meant to do this but it really helped. The breakout characters in all of these stories were bad guys...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen's not the credited creator of hope (Mike Carey is), but he's certainly one of the earliest writers who latched onto her, so it's not too surprising he decided to be the one to solve those particular mysteries even if no one actually cared.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Bored at work and trying to work out who are the mutants that have the cursed/short end of the stick, gift wise?

Obviously Rogue is the most famous one. There's also Chamber, that was pretty unfortunate, ditto Malice, Proteus, and oh god Legion and Mary (although maybe she's nuts and has powers instead of nuts because of powers?). That kid in Ultimate with the mega death field too. I guess Destiny's kinda sucks as well between the loss of regular sight while also seeing all kinds of potentially terrible poo poo but compared to the rest of these guys it's relatively meh. I guess we should add Firestar too, didn't hers give her cancer?

(I'm ignoring 'ugly/disfigured' for the moment, just looking at powers that actively gently caress you and/or those around you over, and also ignoring Cyclops because he would have been fine if he hadn't landed on his head)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Wolverine's power is basically "gets beat up" and that sucks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blindfold had essentially the same power as Destiny and an even shittier childhood and did not seem to care for it once given clear alternatives.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Bored at work and trying to work out who are the mutants that have the cursed/short end of the stick, gift wise?

Obviously Rogue is the most famous one. There's also Chamber, that was pretty unfortunate, ditto Malice, Proteus, and oh god Legion and Mary (although maybe she's nuts and has powers instead of nuts because of powers?). That kid in Ultimate with the mega death field too. I guess Destiny's kinda sucks as well between the loss of regular sight while also seeing all kinds of potentially terrible poo poo but compared to the rest of these guys it's relatively meh. I guess we should add Firestar too, didn't hers give her cancer?

(I'm ignoring 'ugly/disfigured' for the moment, just looking at powers that actively gently caress you and/or those around you over, and also ignoring Cyclops because he would have been fine if he hadn't landed on his head)

Maybe I'm not up to speed on lore, but isn't part of Cable's deal that his powers are so strong that if the T-O virus is removed he starts to overload with power and die?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

danbanana posted:

Wolverine's power is basically "gets beat up" and that sucks.

that's his lifestyle, not his power.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Maybe I'm not up to speed on lore, but isn't part of Cable's deal that his powers are so strong that if the T-O virus is removed he starts to overload with power and die?

As I recall it's not that without the T-O virus he'd burn himself out but using the full force of his powers definitely could, and the T-O virus means that he can't bring those powers to bear. So, like, if he was just practicing law and using his powers to reach for his pen that he dropped or whatnot, he'd be fine. If he became a messianic figure trying to turn the earth into a paradise or create an alternate reality where horniness is forbidden, that would burn him out ultimately.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's his lifestyle, not his power.

His fundamental power is "I can get beat up and feel better pretty quickly." A healing factor has no practical application* other than allowing him to not worry about getting his rear end kicked.

*I guess being able to fight off cancer and whatnot is a practical application, too.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

danbanana posted:

A healing factor has no practical application*

Lmao what. You know Wolverine is over 200 years old, right? Not to mention poo poo like never having to care about getting a disease or it not mattering if you accidentally cut your finger off.
God, even the most mundane aspects of it, like papercuts and hangnails healing immediately, and never having to worry about sunburn, would be fantastic. Plus, he's capable of ending his own life so you don't have to worry about the "well living forever would actually suck" argument.
edit: However, given the amount of times we've seen Logan and Laura burned to a crisp, we have no choice but to conclude that a side effect of their powers is that their bodies have somehow "decided" on a haircut to always default back to. I just wanna see a scene of somebody asking Logan what the deal with his weird hairstyle is, then it shows him shave his head with a claw, and it just grows back immediately to that exact same hairstyle.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 17, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

rantmo posted:

If he became a messianic figure trying to turn the earth into a paradise or create an alternate reality where horniness is forbidden, that would burn him out ultimately.

A sort of "era" of "X-Man", so to speak

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sounds like nonsense to me, as inconceivable as Fred Dukes being made a sexy and sympathetic protagonist.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

What book/run do I want to read to figure out what Hope's whole deal is? I remember reading a bunch of stuff way back in the day where they're all excited about her existing and trying to locate her or whatever and I think I remember a bunch of Cable adventures and later I read stuff where Hope is just kind of hanging out so I assume that's after she had some main character thing happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't read it, but she had an ongoing where she lead a group of mutants to rescue new mutants who just discovered their powers called Generation Hope.

Edit: Messiah Complex cross over is her technical first appearance, but she's mostly a macguffin since she's the first baby born with an X gene since House of M, so various villains are trying to kill her and the X-Men are trying to save her, but again, she's just a baby.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 18, 2024