Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuzz
Jul 2, 2008
I bought a pair of Addi Natura circulars and some cascade yarn. I'd love to spoil my new nephew with something more expensive, but I'm trying to show DH I can not spend money. Thankfully, he approves of my knitting habit.

ETA: I have a ton of mistakes in my first washcloth. Will blocking or felting it make it less noticeable.

Stuzz fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Stuzz posted:

ETA: I have a ton of mistakes in my first washcloth. Will blocking or felting it make it less noticeable.
If you felt it, the "I purled where I should have knitted" beginner mistakes will all disappear, yeah.

Has anyone tried the new WEBS/yarn.com bamboo interchangeable needle set? I might ask for it for Christmas. . . .

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
Thanks to this thread (redirected from this thread) I went out a bought a starter knitting kit, a book with patterns and 2 different types of yarn. Starting in on a coaster once I get home from work, wish me luck!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

dreadspork posted:

Thanks to this thread (redirected from this thread) I went out a bought a starter knitting kit, a book with patterns and 2 different types of yarn. Starting in on a coaster once I get home from work, wish me luck!

YAY! Welcome to the thing that will eat most of your discretionary income, time, and sanity for the rest of your life! :)

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I've just (re)started my first ever sock. Had some issues getting it cast on, and the first few rounds there was a bit of a loop growing around the join but it's going ok now. I'm quite excited by it! The double points aren't too bad at all once you get into the swing of it! And my flat mate wants me to teach her to knit now too - though this was after her asking if I could make her a fine-knit, multi coloured, zig zag Missoni style skirt... Nae chance pal...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

YAY! Welcome to the thing that will eat most of your discretionary income, time, and sanity for the rest of your life! :)

It's true! :v: Beware yarn stores. They're little slices of heaven that will suck your wallet dry. I have a whole box of awesome yarn that I have no idea what I'm going to do with because of those stores. :smith:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

It's true! :v: Beware yarn stores. They're little slices of heaven that will suck your wallet dry. I have a whole box of awesome yarn that I have no idea what I'm going to do with because of those stores. :smith:

This is why I have so much sock yarn - I can always know exactly what I'm going to make with it, at least GENERALLY, and how much to buy. I have a bunch of single skeins from when I first started too, and I still have no idea how to go "ok, I would like to make a hat of this so I will buy this many". Oh well.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

It's true, I was so focused on knitting all my Christmas gifts out of vicuņa that my landlord kicked me out. :(

But the good news is that now I can knit my own shanty! :v:

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Z Is Overrated posted:

It's true, I was so focused on knitting all my Christmas gifts out of vicuņa that my landlord kicked me out. :(

But the good news is that now I can knit my own shanty! :v:

I suggest you felt it, it'll keep the snow and rain out a bit better.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Fionnoulla posted:

I suggest you felt it, it'll keep the snow and rain out a bit better.

I figure I can just let nature take its course.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
First 10 minutes, learning cast on: "Huh, this is really easy! This is going to be great!"

Second 10 minutes, learning knit: "Arrrrgh!"

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Klams Jam posted:

I've just (re)started my first ever sock. Had some issues getting it cast on, and the first few rounds there was a bit of a loop growing around the join but it's going ok now. I'm quite excited by it! The double points aren't too bad at all once you get into the swing of it! And my flat mate wants me to teach her to knit now too - though this was after her asking if I could make her a fine-knit, multi coloured, zig zag Missoni style skirt... Nae chance pal...

Congrats, I am a bit burned out on socks having knit 3 pairs for Christmas gifts, but they really are my favorite. People always want me to knit stuff/teach them to knit until they find out how much decent yarn and needles actually cost. :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

dreadspork posted:

First 10 minutes, learning cast on: "Huh, this is really easy! This is going to be great!"

Second 10 minutes, learning knit: "Arrrrgh!"

Hee. Oh, I remember feeling this way.

Just breathe, you'll get it! Remember, every thing in knitting is pulling one loop through another loop.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Hee. Oh, I remember feeling this way.

Just breathe, you'll get it! Remember, every thing in knitting is pulling one loop through another loop.

Double-cast on method is awesome and so much more intuitive feeling for my hands than the regular method.

Knit is pissing me off so I'm taking a break! :D

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

dreadspork posted:

Double-cast on method is awesome and so much more intuitive feeling for my hands than the regular method.

Knit is pissing me off so I'm taking a break! :D

The one thing that frustrated me to no end was how did I end up with 25 stitches when I started with 20?! Check this out - http://knitting-patterns-techniques.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_most_common_knitting_error explains where those come from if you have this problem, which you probably will.

Also, check out knittinghelp.com's videos or this video on youtube that goes over the basics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw-nUvGrBY. Remember no question is stupid, everyone here started where you are now...and yes beware of yarn stores. I have finished one large scarf, working on another and I already have a ton of yarn for socks and some to dye myself for socks and and and heh

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

zamiel posted:

The one thing that frustrated me to no end was how did I end up with 25 stitches when I started with 20?! Check this out - http://knitting-patterns-techniques.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_most_common_knitting_error explains where those come from if you have this problem, which you probably will.

Also, check out knittinghelp.com's videos or this video on youtube that goes over the basics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw-nUvGrBY. Remember no question is stupid, everyone here started where you are now...and yes beware of yarn stores. I have finished one large scarf, working on another and I already have a ton of yarn for socks and some to dye myself for socks and and and heh

Thank you for the info; to be honest, I haven't even gotten that far. Things I'm struggling with: when I'm trying to bring the needle through to do the knit stitch (after doing the first row of cast on) it is VERY hard for me to pull the needle through. I feel like I'm an idiot. I am the kind of person who learns better when someone can show me in person (mentor/tutor type-thing) so I'm feeling just like, dumb & frustrated right now :(

I watched the videos at knittinghelp.com and a few other things on YouTube and I just seem to be doing something wrong.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

This is why I have so much sock yarn - I can always know exactly what I'm going to make with it, at least GENERALLY, and how much to buy. I have a bunch of single skeins from when I first started too, and I still have no idea how to go "ok, I would like to make a hat of this so I will buy this many". Oh well.

I have a $20 ball of sock yarn sitting on my shelf as a reminder to never let the nice lady at the yarn store talk you into buying stuff.

I don't even knit socks. What the hell am I going to do with sock yarn? :smith:

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

dreadspork posted:

I feel like I'm an idiot. I am the kind of person who learns better when someone can show me in person (mentor/tutor type-thing) so I'm feeling just like, dumb & frustrated right now :(

I watched the videos at knittinghelp.com and a few other things on YouTube and I just seem to be doing something wrong.

If you have a Joann's Fabrics near you or a yarn store, you can take classes. Joann's is like 35 bucks for the intro class, which is two hours long and they supply the needles and yarn. My local yarn stores seem to be about $15.00 for a 1.5 - 2 hour class and you supply the materials. They have just kind of general classes (the basics and time to work with students to figure out their trouble areas) as well as project-specific classes.

On another note, my sheepskin slippers are on their last legs, so I figured I'd slap together some Norwegian house slippers with whatever I had around. I had three colors, one of which I'm not so thrilled with. I spent like 20 minutes deciding what color I wanted where on the finished slipper. So I just finished the first one and put it together and YAY FOR ME! I somehow totally hosed up and made the ugly color the MOST PROMINENT COLOR on the drat thing. fuuuuuuck. Now I'm trying to decide if I should make the other one match it or if I should switch up the colors and act like I wanted them different.

Fionnoulla fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 11, 2009

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

I have a $20 ball of sock yarn sitting on my shelf as a reminder to never let the nice lady at the yarn store talk you into buying stuff.

My obsession is gloves! Especially fingerless, but you can do whatever you want. If you go on Ravelry, there are a ton of non-sock patterns for sock yarn because there are a ton of people in your position.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I have a bunch of single skeins from when I first started too, and I still have no idea how to go "ok, I would like to make a hat of this so I will buy this many". Oh well.

Argh, don't get me started! I have so many single skeins lying around that I can't do anything with because most things require 2 or 3 at least.

dreadspork posted:

Thank you for the info; to be honest, I haven't even gotten that far. Things I'm struggling with: when I'm trying to bring the needle through to do the knit stitch (after doing the first row of cast on) it is VERY hard for me to pull the needle through. I feel like I'm an idiot. I am the kind of person who learns better when someone can show me in person (mentor/tutor type-thing) so I'm feeling just like, dumb & frustrated right now :(

You might be casting on too tightly, try doing it a bit looser? Are you knitting continental or english style (in other words are you holding the yarn in your right or your left hand)?

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Fionnoulla posted:

If you have a Joann's Fabrics near you or a yarn store, you can take classes. Joann's is like 35 bucks for the intro class, which is two hours long and they supply the needles and yarn. My local yarn stores seem to be about $15.00 for a 1.5 - 2 hour class and you supply the materials. They have just kind of general classes (the basics and time to work with students to figure out their trouble areas) as well as project-specific classes.
That is a good idea. I need someone who can do exactly that, help me with problem areas. Thank you.

elbow posted:

You might be casting on too tightly, try doing it a bit looser? Are you knitting continental or english style (in other words are you holding the yarn in your right or your left hand)?
I am doing english style, and perhaps I am knitting too tightly. It's really frustrating, the yarn doesn't want to stay on the needles and then if it's too tight, I can't work with it. I am probably just expecting too much for my first day 'knitting' (can't quite call it that, yet).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

My obsession is gloves! Especially fingerless, but you can do whatever you want. If you go on Ravelry, there are a ton of non-sock patterns for sock yarn because there are a ton of people in your position.

I made fingerless gloves long ago and it was such a nightmare I'm afraid to do it again :ohdear:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

I made fingerless gloves long ago and it was such a nightmare I'm afraid to do it again :ohdear:
:ohdear: What went wrong? What pattern did you use?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

dreadspork posted:

I am doing english style, and perhaps I am knitting too tightly. It's really frustrating, the yarn doesn't want to stay on the needles and then if it's too tight, I can't work with it. I am probably just expecting too much for my first day 'knitting' (can't quite call it that, yet).

Maybe try knitting a little more loosely and keep your finger on the stitch as you're pulling the yarn through. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it soon enough :)

Stuzz
Jul 2, 2008
Purling is hard. :ohdear:
ETA: Do I count the first cast on as one stitch? Or do I count the next one as the first stitch?

Stuzz fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 11, 2009

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Stuzz posted:

Purling is hard. :ohdear:
ETA: Do I count the first cast on as one stitch? Or do I count the next one as the first stitch?

each loop is a stitch, so yes the first cast on is a stitch as well.

Stuzz
Jul 2, 2008
Thank you Zamiel :)

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

dreadspork posted:

What kind of needles are you using? Aluminum? They're so slidey, I hate them. You could try getting a set of bamboo ones. I find bamboo much nicer - slidey enough so you can move your stitches with ease, but grabby enough so that the stitches don't just fall off the needles if you glance up to try to see what just happened on TV (or if the cat jumps onto your lap full of knitting...or if your two year old decides he wants to help. Come to think of it, it's a miracle I EVER finish a project)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

There's a whole BOOK, or maybe even two, called "not just socks". Although a lot of patterns in there might require more yarn. You could make the lace beret from the Vogue knitting holiday magazine - I tried to make it for my new sister in law for christmas but I didn't like the way it was coming out with the particular yarn I had so I switched to something else.

Or you could sell it to me. What does it look like? :)

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Fionnoulla posted:

What kind of needles are you using? Aluminum? They're so slidey, I hate them. You could try getting a set of bamboo ones. I find bamboo much nicer - slidey enough so you can move your stitches with ease, but grabby enough so that the stitches don't just fall off the needles if you glance up to try to see what just happened on TV (or if the cat jumps onto your lap full of knitting...or if your two year old decides he wants to help. Come to think of it, it's a miracle I EVER finish a project)

2nd, bamboo is a godsend, especially when you're using smaller needles.

Sock yarn -- I've knit lacey scarves with sock yarn on size 6 needles and they came out beautifully. If you're careful about the width, you can usually get away with one skein only.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

I wasn't sure whether to post this right before Christmas or not, because it might be a bit mean during Christmas gift crunch time. :hehe:

I knit a sock in five hours yesterday. Including when I had to fix some errors and when I dropped some stitches. :whatup:

Basically, my grandpa wanted to see a picture of the sock that I had made on the knitting machine the other day, so for the second sock I decided to document it (loosely). I took some pictures and video and threw it together and put it on youtube so that my grandpa could see. This is not a full instructional video, and it doesn't go into design or measurements. The pictures are not shown for very long, as I wanted to keep the upload short and I figure someone can pause on a picture if they need more time anyway. The first minute and a half I kept in there just to make my friends and grandpa laugh, really, it's kinda dumb for other people. It's just casting on, anyway. I've linked it here past that point so it skips to the part that's actually about knitting instead of my cats. :v: If anyone has any questions about the process I'd be happy to answer them, but I just didn't want to fill the video with every single thing about machine knitting.

Something in that video that I thought might interest you guys the most is the latch tool. It is phenomenal, and I think that every knitter should have one. I completely suck at using a crochet hook, and the latch tool makes everything easier. Whenever I drop a stitch somewhere, I will use the latch tool to pick it up instead of a crochet hook, and I hope the video demonstrates why I think everyone should have one.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
That is amazing and now I want another toy :(

Also enjoyed the related video about a sock knitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40IM5V1Zg8&feature=related

re: xmas queue, I still have three scarves, a pair of gloves, and possibly another scarf on my list and I'm totally not worried. Should I be? :P

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 11, 2009

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
While I was knitting up a hat several times (aughh had to start over...) I was wondering:

How many of you switch hands to knit? I just knit back and forth and never change the position of the needle, so I never see the wrong side. I always have to change my p to k on patterns because of it...

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I like knitting in the round if I can, but do you mean like for a washcloth or something you'll knit a row onto the right needle then purl onto the left? :confused: how is that possible?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

:ohdear: What went wrong? What pattern did you use?

It was Knitty's Knucks. It was one of my first dpn projects and pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong. I wore the original pair for years until they mysterious vanished along with a hat I made that my Mom hated.

Or you could sell it to me. What does it look like? :)

It's blue-grey and it's made of CRAB SHELLS or something like that. I think it was accidently packed away with the non-Christmas decorations, but if you're still interested in about two weeks I'll message you :v:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

It was Knitty's Knucks. It was one of my first dpn projects and pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong. I wore the original pair for years until they mysterious vanished along with a hat I made that my Mom hated.

It's blue-grey and it's made of CRAB SHELLS or something like that. I think it was accidently packed away with the non-Christmas decorations, but if you're still interested in about two weeks I'll message you :v:

DUDE. Crab shells? That is awesome! I don't have pms but you can email me at heskethcait@yahoo.com. Ha! Crab shells! Maybe I could find a sock pattern with a crab on it.

I have tried knitting backwards but cannot quite get the hang of it - I end up twisting the stitches. I read somewhere a good way to learn is to hold a mirror up to the computer screen while a regular learn to knit video is playing! It's very useful if you're doing entrelac which I would like to do someday. I want a Lady Elenor scarf/wrap thingie.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
OMG. Score! This is awesome!

http://discovermagazine.com/photos/03-the-bizarre-and-brilliant-world-of-knitted-science

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I just finished my first mitten!
Ignore the ugly colours, they are what my brother requested and I'm not going to make him sad on Christmas.

Overall I'd say they turned out pretty good, I made a few mistakes shown in picture two, I guess I didn't pull tight enough when moving to the next needle. And in picture one, I had to pick up stitches and I'm not really good at that.

Once I finish the next mitten, I'm tossing the pattern. It was the worst written pattern ever and I had so many troubles figuring it out (ravelry helped me a lot, though) but I just started on the first one I found. Bad mistake, I guess.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
This is a bit of a stupid question but for more experienced sock knitters...

When I'm making my heel and the pattern says to repeat, am I knitting/purling every stitch, or am I alternating between knitting and slipping?

Row 1 : *Slip 1, Knit 1* Repeat between * across, turn work. (32 24 20 stitches)
Row 2 (wrong side): Slip one, purl across. (Slip ONLY the first stitch, purl the rest including the slipped stitches from row 1.)

I'm using Silvers sock class - http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Heel.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
The thing I've learned about knitting is that it always means exactly what it says. Every time I've totally messed up it's because I've said to myself "Maybe they mean *this*". It's really hard to trust the pattern sometimes.

And there are no stupid questions. Knitting is freaking hard.

But your pattern for the heel is a 2 row pattern. Your first row will look like this:

slip1, knit one, slip one, knit one, slip one, knit one... all the way across.

Your second row will look like this:

Slip one, purl, purl, purl, purl, purl, purl... all the way across.

Good luck on your socks! Silver's classes are awesome. And so are socks :)